Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
TrainRider Railfan

R40M Question

Does anyone know when the first R40M/straight-ended R40A entered service? Also, what line did they first run on? I'm making a little documentary on R40s for my YouTube channel. I've looked all over the internet and I just can't find when, so please don't say Wikipedia has my answer.

1 hour ago, TrainRider Railfan said:

Does anyone know when the first R40M/straight-ended R40A entered service? Also, what line did they first run on? I'm making a little documentary on R40s for my YouTube channel. I've looked all over the internet and I just can't find when, so please don't say Wikipedia has my answer.

Sometime after January in 1969, when the modified one's first started getting delivered, couldn't find a specific date however. I suspect they first ran on the :F: due to photo's I found here (the line also ran the first R-40 slants): https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/showpix?JTIwbmNhcnR5cGUlMjBpbiUyMCg4LDQ1KSUyMCUyMGFuZCUyMCUyMG55ZWFyPTE5NjklMjB8MHw1fDEwMHxTZWFyY2ggUmVzdWx0c3wvaW5kZXguaHRtbHxjYXN0KG5jYXJudW1iZXIlMjBhcyUyMHNpZ25lZCklMjBhc2MsbnllYXIlMjBhc2Msbm1vbiUyMGFzYyxuZGF5JTIwYXNjfDA=

They definitely started running by April judging by the dates of the photos as well.

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

1 hour ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

Sometime after January in 1969, when the modified one's first started getting delivered, couldn't find a specific date however. I suspect they first ran on the :F: due to photo's I found here (the line also ran the first R-40 slants): https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/showpix?JTIwbmNhcnR5cGUlMjBpbiUyMCg4LDQ1KSUyMCUyMGFuZCUyMCUyMG55ZWFyPTE5NjklMjB8MHw1fDEwMHxTZWFyY2ggUmVzdWx0c3wvaW5kZXguaHRtbHxjYXN0KG5jYXJudW1iZXIlMjBhcyUyMHNpZ25lZCklMjBhc2MsbnllYXIlMjBhc2Msbm1vbiUyMGFzYyxuZGF5JTIwYXNjfDA=

They definitely started running by April judging by the dates of the photos as well.

Yeah that should be about right....

• Upvote 1

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 2:37 PM, VIP said:

Wikipedia has your answer.

If you're not going to bother answering the question, please refrain from giving snappish responses, especially when it was clearly indicated the information was not available there. It helps no one.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 1:16 PM, TrainRider Railfan said:

The first run of the R40 modified cars was on 6 March 1969 as an :F: train. I'd link you to the Subchat post on it, but the site is currently down.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 2

On 8/30/2018 at 10:07 AM, Lance said:

If you're not going to bother answering the question, please refrain from giving snappish responses, especially when it was clearly indicated the information was not available there. It helps no one.

The first run of the R40 modified cars was on 6 March 1969 as an :F: train. I'd link you to the Subchat post on it, but the site is currently down.

Thank you Lance, I appreciate it.