Main line spot to see LIRR

Joe

What's the best spot along the mainline (preferably somewhere between Woodside and the East River tunnels) to see LIRR? I took a walk around Long Island City last night along 49 and Thomson Avenues but both of them have a pretty crappy view. Queens Blvd appears to have full windscreens, as does Honeywell St. and 39 St.

I've been going by Street View in Google Maps to see whether or not streets have windscreens up or not. Further down the line by Woodside station Woodside Ave appears to have no windscreen.

Was hoping to be more by Sunnyside Yard in order to catch some Amtrak.

Oooh, I forgot about all those stations. I don't travel very often down that way (i'm always on Far Rockaway/Long Beach/West Hempstead branches).

Now, if only the weekend will have some nice weather. :)

Guest Charles

Well I personally like Forest Hills because it's different from other LIRR stations, has that nice curve to its east, and west of the station trains can speed up quite a bit. It's also a great photo opportunity, too.

I'll have to check out Forest Hills too. Hopefully Saturday is nice after 12 noon.

You really want some action....Forest Hills is the best station to see like 10+ trains passing in and out of that station.....here is proof in my video I did in late Spring. Now mind you this was taken during peak hours during the work week

*To watch it better in HQ....click on the YouTube icon on my profile. The name of the video is Action through Forest Hills!

Thanks....you can stand on the New York side platform....you'll get great shots and videos

Watching the cars come barreling around that bend there must be quite a sight.:eek:

I think I might go out tomorrow morning and catch the AM rush. If anyones crazy enough to come out in the morning, drop me a line. I'll probably go to Forest Hills, Woodside, Kew Gardens, as well as various overpasses along the way (Woodside Avenue comes to mind; maybe Grand Avenue too).

Haha, i'm a bum, didn't wake up, but it seems crummy out today anyway. Saturday i'll definitely go after I get out of work at 12 noon. I found all these little pedestrian overpasses at various points, they look scenic. The one at Van Horn St. & 60 Rd. comes to mind.

Haha, at Woodside today I was at the 10 car marker on the eastbound platform. Engineer stuck his head out the window and was like hey how ya doing while the conductor was making bunny ears on him.

LIRR has such enthusiastic employees. :(

Haha, at Woodside today I was at the 10 car marker on the eastbound platform. Engineer stuck his head out the window and was like hey how ya doing while the conductor was making bunny ears on him.

LIRR has such enthusiastic employees. ;)

ROTFLMAO.....Long Island Rail Road do got some nice employees....they don't hassle you that much!

I agree, i've gotten waved at, honked at with a wave out the window on the LIRR but every time I take a shot in the subway the T/O looks like he's gonna go postal.

They probably don't like us train fans.....I never had any problem with them when taking pics. I've gotten an evil look from this T/O on the (7) line....I just had the camera in my hand but I was on my cell phone talking to Bee Flexible @ the time and the T/O just kept eyeing me b4 I got on the train....I looked @ him real nasty right back!

Archived