R32/R38 Bulletin

ducman998r

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So what car will be put on the C line to replace the R38s?

We have quite a few R42s that are already in service service on the A and C. There was talk today that R68s are going to start moving to the A and C around March or so... who knows how true that is.

As great as the R32s and R38s are... they are way beyond repair. Me being one who is under the cars everyday... theres so much "ducttape" holding these things together.

THANK YOU!

I know some love these old cars, but they have no place in revenue.

We have quite a few R42s that are already in service service on the A and C. There was talk today that R68s are going to start moving to the A and C around March or so... who knows how true that is.

I haven't seen one R42 EVER on the (C) line. I long for that.

As great as the R32s and R38s are... they are way beyond repair. Me being one who is under the cars everyday... theres so much "ducttape" holding these things together.

I don't know how some continue to be in denial of this. These cars are an actual hazard to customers what with the linoleum coming up to trip people, and the massive rust. They needed to go years ago.

THANK YOU!

I know some love these old cars, but they have no place in revenue.

I haven't seen one R42 EVER on the (C) line. I long for that.

I don't know how some continue to be in denial of this. These cars are an actual hazard to customers what with the linoleum coming up to trip people, and the massive rust. They needed to go years ago.

Well I love the R38 because I get the front window on the front car. I do know that it's being held together with duct tape. I laughed the first time I saw it.

I knew they were on the way out, but both phases of R-32s gone by Dec 1st is earlier than I expected. A lot of people thought that the R-32s were going to last into 2009 (early 2010?) being the last SMEEs reefed. Looks like the opposite is happening with the R-40Ms & 42s staying in service on the (A) & (E). I wonder if there will still be a few slants out there on the (:) after Dec 1st with all R-32s gone.

I knew they were on the way out, but both phases of R-32s gone by Dec 1st is earlier than I expected. A lot of people thought that the R-32s were going to last into 2009 (early 2010?) being the last SMEEs reefed. Looks like the opposite is happening with the R-40Ms & 42s staying in service on the (A) & (E). I wonder if there will still be a few slants out there on the (:) after Dec 1st with all R-32s gone.

they were supposed to... R38s were scheduled for next summer scrap.

Apparently some big wig executive lawyer lady... sent a letter to the pres of TA directly saying that it is a ripoff for ppl to pay their fare and ride these garbage cars. Threatend with a class action lawsuit. So the option was to either overhaul the entire car...again. Or scrap em sooner.

Also.. as far as I know slants are pretty much gone as well. Theyve been ripping them apart like crazy... at least 24-32 a day. Now theres phase II R32

Well... today we got a memo from TA quality control. All R38s will be scrapped starting Dec 1st. All R32s will be gone by Dec 1 unless kept for work trains.

Damn...get your last rides in while you can....

Talk about an accelerated time table...

they were supposed to... R38s were scheduled for next summer scrap.

Apparently some big wig executive lawyer lady... sent a letter to the pres of TA directly saying that it is a ripoff for ppl to pay their fare and ride these garbage cars. Threatend with a class action lawsuit. So the option was to either overhaul the entire car...again. Or scrap em sooner.

Go figure it was something like that. Heh. I'm amazed people have forgotten the wretched conditions of most of the system in the late '70s and '80s. I know they're over 40 years old and can't last forever, but considering they're air conditioned, graffiti-free, relatively clean despite their age, we get complaints and threatening lawsuits. :mad:

The R-32 Phase I and R-40Ms both look in better shape than the R-38s & 42s. Surprised the R-32s are going ahead of them.

Well... today we got a memo from TA quality control. All R38s will be scrapped starting Dec 1st. All R32s will be gone by Dec 1 unless kept for work trains.
Do you mean 32's start going by dec. 1? How are they going to suddenly get rid of all the Phase 1's (and they're not even finished with Phase II).

Even though the new cars have resumed after a slowdown, I don't think there will be enough in less than 2 months now.

Why are they back on that again?

Once all of the current 160 orders are in, it should be enough to replace all the slants, so the (:) would be all 68's, and what's left over would appear on the (N)(Q)(W). There might be an overflow of 160A and B, but then CI is going to start sharing them with the (F). (they should also put them on the (G). Kill the idea of using 68's on that line as well. such a long line for OPTO, they need the automatic announcements, and I'm not even sure if the 68's with the enablers retrofitted might require the T/O to enable himself, like on the 44's for the Rockaway shuttle).

The (A)(C) would continue to receive 42's from ENY. What, they'll send 68'sover there and still have the slantson the (:)?

ill have to disagree with ya there pal...i love the R38's its too bad theyre gonna be gone

Yeah those cars don't get a lot of love from the "buffs" it seems, heh, but when maintained properly they were very smooth riding cars for their time.

Crews don't give them too much love with the phone booth style cabs and all, but I'd imagine when they were new they must've been a treat to operate

This is typical Bullshit,

1: What's going to Replace the R32's on the (E)

2: The R42's are going back to pitkin for the (C)

3: There is not Enough R160A's to replace all R32's

4: Astom does not deliver R160A's on time

5: If Possible R40M and R38's would most Likely go!!!!

6: The Posters on this site like to Make up alot of BULLSHIT!!!!!!

7: I Will RIDE THE R32's to Death!!!!

well... scheduling never goes as planned. Id probably give another month or two after what TA says so that will make it Jan/Feb. We already have 42s running on the A and C. We've been changing the roll signs on them every week and actually had them come in for SMS on the A and C service.

I highly doubt any R160s are gonna run on these lines any time soon. The maintenance shops dont have the proper equipment to maintain these yet. Also very few of us know how they work.

R46s are a definate possibility...

My general super said it looks like theyre gonna take most of the R68s from the 1 (since they already come to 207) and replace the R38s/R32s and put R160s on the 1 line. This is what I was told... how true it is. I dont know.

Archived