R32/R38 Bulletin

ducman998r

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
no word of Rail42 putting transit museum

R42's will be saved. A set of R32, R38, R40, R40M, and R42 will all be saved making for a total of 10 cars, which will be known as the "Train of Many Types"

The R42's slated for preservation are 4572-73, aka the French Connection cars.

R42's will be saved. A set of R32, R38, R40, R40M, and R42 will all be saved making for a total of 10 cars, which will be known as the "Train of Many Types"

The R42's slated for preservation are 4572-73, aka the French Connection cars.

Ah very nice. Will the Transit Museum also save R44/R46/R68 seeing as they run in five car sets?

Ah very nice. Will the Transit Museum also save R44/R46/R68 seeing as they run in five car sets?

AFAIK, the three are not compatible. R-68s might be able to run with the other SMEEs, though. It would look bizarre, but I doubt any of them will be saved. The only singles they have are the few sets they use for the Franklin Ave (S).

five car sets?

they run only in four.

it would be another 6 years before we could start worrying about the preservation of the 44s.

Those 44s are crap buckets. They are worn, outdated, slow, and they are too big yet provide no relief from crowding. They have dim no good lighting and they have sucky PA systems. I don't want (MTA) persevering something as crappy as that. (Unless it's a SIR Version I dont mind.) Let's not forget the R44/46 truck fiasco in the mid 70s!!! They were crap then, they're crap now!

AFAIK, the three are not compatible. R-68s might be able to run with the other SMEEs, though. It would look bizarre, but I doubt any of them will be saved. The only singles they have are the few sets they use for the Franklin Ave (S).

You are correct. The R44 and R46 have the same coupler, but their air systems are completely different. The R44 uses 130 lbs. Brake Pipe Air and 110 lbs. Straight Air, whereas the R46 uses the traditional 110 lbs. BP and 80 lbs. SA. Therefore they can't match up. The R68 can't match up with a R44 or 46 because the R68 has a different coupler.

Theoretically you could couple up the three cars, but it would take one coupler adapter and all three cars would have to be electrically and pneumatically isolated. In other words, fuhgeddaboudit. The R68 could run with another SMEE with no problems, though there would be a little bit of drag when releasing the brakes with R68A's in the consist.

Nothing's been announced yet as to plans for those cars, that won't happen till those cars start to go. Don't know how that will go.

As BwayBuffer mentioned those cars are not compatible. R44/R46's have the HT4-U93 couplers, R68's have the H2C couplers like all other revenue cars in the system. R44/R46 are not compatible because the braking systems are different and charge to different pressures.

Those 44s are crap buckets. They are worn, outdated, slow, and they are too big yet provide no relief from crowding. They have dim no good lighting and they have sucky PA systems. I don't want (MTA) persevering something as crappy as that. (Unless it's a SIR Version I dont mind.) Let's not forget the R44/46 truck fiasco in the mid 70s!!! They were crap then, they're crap now!

I agree. I wish R179 came faster so we can dump R44s :)

1st off I want to say sorry for the commet I made.

2nd No R160 can run on the 1 line

3rd How can R160 fit in an IRT tunnel

4th I don't think the TA is going to strip all R32's by december, They will be here until the R179 comes.

5th The R160's are bot going to the (E) They will Go to the (F) when they come in 2009-2010

6th The (1) does not have R68's

7th You are just making a rumor that does not makes sence at all and you are very bad at it and If you were an car Inspector you would know what type of subway car goes on each line in the 207th st yard.

Get it staight R62A's are on the (1), The R44's are on the (A), R40M/R42's are on the (A),(E) and soon the (C) and If The R160A's comes they Are going to The (F)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2nd your right about the R160,they cannot not run on the (1) line.

3rd I don't know if the R160 fits in the IRT tunnel.

4th The R32 are retiring this December (2008) and replaced by the R160 because the TA is getting rid of more R32s.

5th Yes the R160 are going to the (E) and (F) line in 2009 and will replace the R32 and dispalce some R46 from the line and then the R46 will move to the 207th Street yard and Pitkin Yard and strat running on the (A) and (C) line to replace the R38,R40M and R42.

6th Yes your right the R68/R68A does not run on the (1)

7th No comment for that.

So this December the R32 and R40 slant will retire. The R38 and R40M will move to the (E) to replace the R32 phase 1. Then the R40M and R42 will go to the (C) line.The (:D will becaome R68/R68A. The R68/R68A will move to the Jamaica Yard and go to the (G) line to dispalce the R46 from the line. The R160 will soon run on the (E) and (F) lines to replace the R38,R40M and R42 and dispalce some R46. Those displaced R46 from the Jamaica Yard will move to the 207th Street Yard and Pitkin Yard and they are going to run on the (A) and (C) lines to replace the R38,R40M and R42. So next year in the summer or fall or winter of 2009 the R38,R40M and R42 will retire. So there are enough R160 to replace the R32,R38,R40 slant,R40M,and R42. When the R179 come they will replace the R44/R46,so the R44/R46 will retire in 2015 or so,When the R179 strats to replace the R44/R46 the R68/R68A will move to the 207th Street Yard, Pitkin Yard,and Jamaica Yard and begin to run on the (A)/©/(E)/(F)/® lines to replace the R44 and R46. The R179 will run on the on the (A)/(:D/©/(D)/(S)(Rockaway Shuttle) and the SIRT line. That whats going to happen.

The (MTA) will save the R44/R46 for the museum when they retire in couple of years more when they replaced by the R179 because some people like the R44 and R46.

The R68/R68A will move to the Jamaica Yard and go to the (G) line to dispalce the R46 from the line.

I hope not, now, as I just did a little test to see what OPTO with the cars would be like.

When I had a layup with 68's a few days ago, I opened from the front position to see how the enabler would work under OPTO.

You don't have to enable yourself on the off side, but you do on the T/O side. You have to press it, and the enabler indication light will go out, and then you can open.

Luckily, you don't have to hold it down like you do on the 44's. (The 44's could not be used in (G) OPTO service, because you have platforms on both sides enroute, unlike the Rockaway shuttle).

Still, why add the extra step? Just use 160's on the (G). Not only are the enablers disabled when operating from that position, but then you have the automatic announcements, and the door controls to the left of the window. (The 68's are like the 46's with it on the perpendicular panel to the right. Highly uncomfortable having to turn all the way around like that to use, it, and reach to make the announcement).

There will be enough 160's when this order is complete, and it will be an overflow in CIY. So instead of moving 68's, just start adding the 160's over there. In fact, it was my understanding that the 60 A1's, which are now going into service (Just had 8972 yesterday! Had not even seen it out before!) were originally for the (G). You could even use the same pool of cars that will be used by the (F). When the option comes in, the (G) would ntot even really have to be transferred to CIY.

So this December the R32 and R40 slant will retire. The R38 and R40M will move to the (E) to replace the R32 phase 1. Then the R40M and R42 will go to the (C) line.The (:D will becaome R68/R68A. The R68/R68A will move to the Jamaica Yard and go to the (G) line to dispalce the R46 from the line. The R160 will soon run on the (E) and (F) lines to replace the R38,R40M and R42 and dispalce some R46. Those displaced R46 from the Jamaica Yard will move to the 207th Street Yard and Pitkin Yard and they are going to run on the (A) and (C) lines to replace the R38,R40M and R42. So next year in the summer or fall or winter of 2009 the R38,R40M and R42 will retire. So there are enough R160 to replace the R32,R38,R40 slant,R40M,and R42. When the R179 come they will replace the R44/R46,so the R44/R46 will retire in 2015 or so,When the R179 strats to replace the R44/R46 the R68/R68A will move to the 207th Street Yard, Pitkin Yard,and Jamaica Yard and begin to run on the (A)/©/(E)/(F)/® lines to replace the R44 and R46. The R179 will run on the on the (A)/(B)/©/(D)/(S)(Rockaway Shuttle) and the SIRT line. That whats going to happen.

1. R32s and R40s will NOT retire by December. R40s are not going yet until the R32s are rid of. The plan is for all R32s to be gone by December 1st, but that will be delayed for a few months because here are 291 Phase I R32s and thre's no way they will be gone in two months. It'll take at least 3-4. Then the R40s are next.

2. The R40M and R38 are NOT moving to the (E) line. R160s will replace the R32s and R42 on the (E) line. What the plan is, i think, is for the R42 to be eventually transferred to Pitkin Yard to replace the R38.

3. No, the R68s are staying at CI/Concourse Yards. The (G) is being transferred to Coney Island Yard so it can run R68s. The R46 on the line will just go to Jamaica Yard like they do now.

4. The Phase Is, R38s and slants are theo nly victims as of now. Option II hasn't been ordered yet of the R160s, and when it comes it will retire the R40M/R42.

5. Don't get too speculative about the R179s. Most likely they will NOT go to the yards that house the R160s. Since Jamaica and Pitkin run R44s/R46s they will get the R179s, and that the R44s and R46s respectively are the newest cars for each yard. That means they'll run on the (A)/© and (E)/(F)/®/(V). Also, they will replace the R44s on the SIR.

1. R32s and R40s will NOT retire by December. R40s are not going yet until the R32s are rid of. The plan is for all R32s to be gone by December 1st, but that will be delayed for a few months because here are 291 Phase I R32s and thre's no way they will be gone in two months. It'll take at least 3-4. Then the R40s are next.

2. The R40M and R38 are NOT moving to the (E) line. R160s will replace the R32s and R42 on the (E) line. What the plan is, i think, is for the R42 to be eventually transferred to Pitkin Yard to replace the R38.

3. No, the R68s are staying at CI/Concourse Yards. The (G) is being transferred to Coney Island Yard so it can run R68s. The R46 on the line will just go to Jamaica Yard like they do now.

4. The Phase Is, R38s and slants are theo nly victims as of now. Option II hasn't been ordered yet of the R160s, and when it comes it will retire the R40M/R42.

5. Don't get too speculative about the R179s. Most likely they will NOT go to the yards that house the R160s. Since Jamaica and Pitkin run R44s/R46s they will get the R179s, and that the R44s and R46s respectively are the newest cars for each yard. That means they'll run on the (A)/© and (E)/(F)/®/(V). Also, they will replace the R44s on the SIR.

1. So the R32 and the R40 slant will retire in July of 2009 like you said.

2. Okay maybe the R38 and R40M are not going to the (E) but the R160 will still run on the (E) in 2009. For this we have to find out anyways.

3.So the (G) will be transferred to the Coney Island Yard,so this means the (G) is cut back to Court Street at all times but I least the R68/R68A will run on the (G) and displace the R46 but the displace R46 will have to run on the (A) and (C) to replace the R32/R38/R40/R40M/R42.

4. Yesw the R32/R38/R40 slant will retire first but until the summer of 2009 like you siad to me and then when more R160 comes then it will also replace the R40M/R42.

5. Okay but let's find out what happens when the R179 comes. I know the R179 will run on the SIRT. So the R179 will run only on the (A)/©/(E)/(F)/®/(V) only so this means that the R68/R68A will run on the (:D/(D) only but I think the some R68/R68A will run on the (A)/©/(E)/(F)/®/(V) beacuse the R179 would also run on the (B) and (D).

1. So the R32 and the R40 slant will retire in July of 2009 like you said.

2. Okay maybe the R38 and R40M are not going to the (E) but the R160 will still run on the (E) in 2009. For this we have to find out anyways.

3.So the (G) will be transferred to the Coney Island Yard,so this means the (G) is cut back to Court Street at all times but I least the R68/R68A will run on the (G) and displace the R46 but the displace R46 will have to run on the (A) and (C) to replace the R32/R38/R40/R40M/R42.

4. Yesw the R32/R38/R40 slant will retire first but until the summer of 2009 like you siad to me and then when more R160 comes then it will also replace the R40M/R42.

5. Okay but let's find out what happens when the R179 comes. I know the R179 will run on the SIRT. So the R179 will run only on the (A)/©/(E)/(F)/®/(V) only so this means that the R68/R68A will run on the (:D/(D) only but I think the some R68/R68A will run on the (A)/©/(E)/(F)/®/(V) beacuse the R179 would also run on the (B) and (D).

1. Close enough.

2. Yes.

3. The (G) only runs 40 R46. Those currently run out of Jamaica Yard. When the (G) is transferred and there is no use left on those 40 R46s, then they'll remain at Jamaica Yard, retiring the equivalent of 50 R32. (8 R46 = 10 R32)

4. Right now only the base order and the firsto ption order have been ordered. The second option order will be ordered in 2009/2010 and won't come until later. Those are the R160s that will replace the R40M/R42.

5. You're right about what lins the R179 will run on but I don't think the R68/As will change assignments. The R68s aren't moving from Concourse and the R68/As are staying at CI.

Archived