R32/R38 Bulletin

ducman998r

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just want to post this to set the record straight. Duct tape is the slang used to describe it. It's called "Bonding Tape" and it's more substantial than duct tape.

But that said those roofs are in horrible shape.

Iawtp. Standard duct tape can't adhere that well to their ageing bodies. And this bonding tape probably keeps the air out.

I hope they keep the R32 and Slant R40s for years to come into the next decade, they should instead retire the R42 and R38 units. Hopefully they R32 will run past Dec 1. Since this reminds me of what happened here in Boston's Red Line when the 01400s (#5 Cambridge-Dorchester Cars) which were built at the same time as the R32 were prematurely retired in Dec 12, 1994 at 30 years old, these should have been in revenue service till 2001. Although the R32 has outlasted the 01400-series, I hope that the 32s stay till they turn 50 yrs old! The R10 (1949 by ACF) lasted 40 years till they were pulled in Decmember 1989

FYI I like the R46 cars too, I hope they keep them till 2020 or later, they are good commuter and roomy cars. They should let them run on the (F) and Rockaway Park (S) and (A) routes

I hope they keep the R32 and Slant R40s for years to come into the next decade, they should instead retire the R42 and R38 units. Hopefully they R32 will run past Dec 1. Since this reminds me of what happened here in Boston's Red Line when the 01400s (#5 Cambridge-Dorchester Cars) which were built at the same time as the R32 were prematurely retired in Dec 12, 1994 at 30 years old, these should have been in revenue service till 2001. Although the R32 has outlasted the 01400-series, I hope that the 32s stay till they turn 50 yrs old! The R10 (1949 by ACF) lasted 40 years till they were pulled in Decmember 1989

FYI I like the R46 cars too, I hope they keep them till 2020 or later, they are good commuter and roomy cars. They should let them run on the (F) and Rockaway Park (S) and (A) routes

The problem with that is the cars are just not meant to last that long. The R32 body is in decent shape, but mechanically as I've been saying those cars are a wreck, particularly the usual culprits, doors brakes and motors. As for the R10s, while they ran 40 years, they were not supposed to, it was problems with the new arrivals in the 70s that kept them getting more mileage than TA preferred. Some of those cars had MDBF's < 1000 miles when they were finally pulled from service. While the R32's don't come anywhere near being that unreliable, subway cars just can't run that long without problems. Their time is almost up, it's all Phase I R32's you see running now, and the cars will probably go in the order of worst performing first.

The problem with that is the cars are just not meant to last that long. The R32 body is in decent shape, but mechanically as I've been saying those cars are a wreck, particularly the usual culprits, doors brakes and motors. As for the R10s, while they ran 40 years, they were not supposed to, it was problems with the new arrivals in the 70s that kept them getting more mileage than TA preferred. Some of those cars had MDBF's < 1000 miles when they were finally pulled from service. While the R32's don't come anywhere near being that unreliable, subway cars just can't run that long without problems. Their time is almost up, it's all Phase I R32's you see running now, and the cars will probably go in the order of worst performing first.

Yeah, I read somewhere that the R32s were designed for only 35 years, but they're in their 44th year if I have my math right. It's time for them to go.

WHAT?, first, what makes a R32/38 so hazardous, second, the R32's are great cars, at least im not riding on trash like the R40. A train car in which is said to replace these cars called the "R160", is not that reliable. its having its share of problems. Send all those R160's back to where they were made so it can be reconstructed, so they can become better cars,and well see which is the best subway car.

WHAT?, first, what makes a R32/38 so hazardous, second, the R32's are great cars, at least im not riding on trash like the R40. A train car in which is said to replace these cars called the "R160", is not that reliable. its having its share of problems. Send all those R160's back to where they were made so it can be reconstructed, so they can become better cars,and well see which is the best subway car.

Why are you quoting R160? That's actually what the model is called. Also, by design they are better than the 32s and 38s. The only thing going for those models is that the bodies were sturdily built. The same can be said of many cars that have been sent to the crushers, though.

Yeah, I read somewhere that the R32s were designed for only 35 years, but they're in their 44th year if I have my math right. It's time for them to go.

Remember these cars were rebuilt during GOH. Maybe someone else here can explain to what extent mechanically, but my point is that many parts of these cars are newer than 1964.

img_78179.jpg

Well... today we got a memo from TA quality control. All R38s will be start being scrapped on Dec 1st. All R32s will be gone by Dec 1 unless kept for work trains.

Well some R32 pairs 3352-3353 will be at the NYCT Museum. Any 2 pairs of R38 will be at the NYCT Museum.

Remember these cars were rebuilt during GOH. Maybe someone else here can explain to what extent mechanically, but my point is that many parts of these cars are newer than 1964.

img_78179.jpg

I think they extened the mechanically because it was rebuilt between 1987-1988 that's why it could last more then 35 years but then it will last til 44 (which is now).

I mean i see the original blue color being shown through wear-out on the bench seats and on this R42 i saw some chips of the original paint color on the walls...like, It seems as though nothing has changed cept the handle bars ,the floors, the paint, the side hangars ,the installation of AC, PA system, saftey glass, new trucks and motors, re-paint of the interior...the only thing that has remained is the Frame of the car...which looks like the integrity is intact and strong as ever...however all the cars roofs that are carbon steel appear to be showing rust...except the R32. Ironic, the Oldest Car looks the best in shape. My R42s look nasty with the sides all rusty like that...and the R38, gross, it looks haunted. the R44/46/62/68's roofs look fine also.

WHAT?, first, what makes a R32/38 so hazardous, second, the R32's are great cars

as I have said before...doors brakes and motors...what makes a car hazardous isn't always the issue...the safest car in the world is useless if it drops out motors en route and can't take full power, and shows up 10 minutes late to the terminal every run. Likewise a car that won't close down and give indication is useless no matter how "sturdy" because then the T/O can't take power, and the train is effectively stuck and must discharge, and maybe even operate the door bypass, and operate light back to the yard to figure out what the heck is going on with the indication circuit. And if the brakes don't work correctly the whole train has to be taken out of service because it's an unsafe condition...if the brakes won't release, same, but then it's an issue getting that set back to the yard. So there's more to it than how "durable" the carbody is, or what you "see" when the train pulls into the platform.

Archived