September 2, 2018 Bus Route and Service Changes

BM5 via Woodhaven

5 hours ago, Mysterious2train said:

Yeah, I remember somebody saying on this on Subchat or somewhere that Green Bus Lines, which used to operate the Q89/Q9A, created the route primarily to prevent other bus companies from running service on that section of Linden Blvd. I don't know how true that is, but I can't think of any other explanation for its extremely poor headways and downright bizarre span of service. 

If that reasoning is true, it seems like in a weird way, the Q9A/Q89 accomplished its goal? Since the MTA never did anything with it after taking over the route and that portion of Linden Blvd continues to be without local bus service to this day. I wonder if the MTA kept the route around just because they didn't want to look like they were cutting service.

That’s an interesting explanation. I’m sure Green Lines could have made the Q9A/Q89 into a decent route with decent headway’s. Most of the routes that past Linden Blvd do get you to Jamaica faster but I’m sure it could have picked up more ridership if it were a typical 6:30am to 10pm 7 days a week type of route. The route itself could have used a bit of tweaking though and it’s failure was more Green Lines responsibility than the MTA’s. In its form before it got cut the only people who really used the route were those who needed to go to and from the 165th st Terminal to the last few stops on the Q9 in South Ozone Park. 

The PBL’s were pretty infamous for creating routes that sucked, like the Q9A, original Q21, original Q53, Q19 before its extensions to Flushing and deeper Astoria, Q22A, QM23 and others I can’t think of at the moment. The MTA also does have its fair share of bad routes too.

5 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

That’s an interesting explanation. I’m sure Green Lines could have made the Q9A/Q89 into a decent route with decent headway’s. Most of the routes that past Linden Blvd do get you to Jamaica faster but I’m sure it could have picked up more ridership if it were a typical 6:30am to 10pm 7 days a week type of route. The route itself could have used a bit of tweaking though and it’s failure was more Green Lines responsibility than the MTA’s. In its form before it got cut the only people who really used the route were those who needed to go to and from the 165th st Terminal to the last few stops on the Q9 in South Ozone Park. 

The PBL’s were pretty infamous for creating routes that sucked, like the Q9A, original Q21, original Q53, Q19 before its extensions to Flushing and deeper Astoria, Q22A, QM23 and others I can’t think of at the moment. The MTA also does have its fair share of bad routes too.

Wasn't there a plan to make the Q9A a new Brooklyn-Cambria Heights route. It would've been called the Q96 and operate between the Eucid Avenue (A)(C) station, via the Q7 routing to Linden Blvd, and operate on Linden Blvd all the way to Cambria Hts-235th Street? It would operate from 6:00 AM to 12:00 midningt. I remember it was proposed in 2004 from a DOT study on private bus lines,

56 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Wasn't there a plan to make the Q9A a new Brooklyn-Cambria Heights route. It would've been called the Q96 and operate between the Eucid Avenue (A)(C) station, via the Q7 routing to Linden Blvd, and operate on Linden Blvd all the way to Cambria Hts-235th Street? It would operate from 6:00 AM to 12:00 midningt. I remember it was proposed in 2004 from a DOT study on private bus lines,

1). The route is too long. I for sure wouldn’t want to be on a bus via the Q7 all the way to Cambria Heights. Although the Southeast Queens bus grid is the most difficult. However, having an route like that won’t achieve any results. 

2. What’s the market for this? It’s understandable that Linden Blvd is in dire need of bus service especially in South Jamaica, Richmond Hill area. I’d center that service at least to begin on Merrick/Linden to Grant Avenue (A)(C)  via Liberty. 

On 9/7/2018 at 10:05 PM, Jdog14 said:

Service looks to have become complete shit. As of now most of the buses are heading west with 2-3 buses going East. My mother waited an hr for it. Nice one MTA....

An hour???? When and where? I've been monitoring service daily internally, as well as out in the field. I haven't seen any of this and I live off Church Avenue now. The largest gap I have seen so far was 31 minutes with the acception of bus 767, which broke down leaving a gap a couple evenings ago.

1 hour ago, East New York said:

An hour???? When and where? I've been monitoring service daily internally, as well as out in the field. I haven't seen any of this and I live off Church Avenue now. The largest gap I have seen so far was 31 minutes with the acception of bus 767, which broke down leaving a gap a couple evenings ago.

why are they still usuing xd40's on the 35.

6 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

1). The route is too long. I for sure wouldn’t want to be on a bus via the Q7 all the way to Cambria Heights. Although the Southeast Queens bus grid is the most difficult. However, having an route like that won’t achieve any results. 

2. What’s the market for this? It’s understandable that Linden Blvd is in dire need of bus service especially in South Jamaica, Richmond Hill area. I’d center that service at least to begin on Merrick/Linden to Grant Avenue (A)(C)  via Liberty. 

This was proposed in the NYCDOT Bus analysis for the seven private bus company’s at the time. They’d would’ve turned crap routes into money-makers for the city. There’s a section in the proposals section for Green Bus Lines (the company operating the Q9A and other routes in the area) and in that section is a proposal for the Q9A (and all of its lines).

On 9/9/2018 at 9:35 PM, Lil 57 said:

I don't even know what the purpose of the route was, didn't even run during the rush hour.

22 hours ago, P3F said:

Lmao... WTF are those service hours? How did that thing survive for three entire years after the PBL takeover?

13 hours ago, Mysterious2train said:

Yeah, I remember somebody saying on this on Subchat or somewhere that Green Bus Lines, which used to operate the Q89/Q9A, created the route primarily to prevent other bus companies from running service on that section of Linden Blvd. I don't know how true that is, but I can't think of any other explanation for its extremely poor headways and downright bizarre span of service. 

If that reasoning is true, it seems like in a weird way, the Q9A/Q89 accomplished its goal? Since the MTA never did anything with it after taking over the route and that portion of Linden Blvd continues to be without local bus service to this day. I wonder if the MTA kept the route around just because they didn't want to look like they were cutting service.

I also remember that post - and LMAO'd when it was made.... That was @Gotham Bus Co. that posted that on subchat.

15 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

This was proposed in the NYCDOT Bus analysis for the seven private bus company’s at the time. They’d would’ve turned crap routes into money-makers for the city. There’s a section in the proposals section for Green Bus Lines (the company operating the Q9A and other routes in the area) and in that section is a proposal for the Q9A (and all of its lines).

T'hell with whatever it is you're talking about....

The best thing about that PDF was the historical map.... BQ5, BQ10, BQ11, BW4 express routes, the B110 displayed on an actual map....

Archived