MTA Opens Second Entrance at 34 St-Hudson Yards 7 Station

Union Tpke

17 hours ago, Eric B said:

Doesn't seem to be any provisions for a direct connection under the street to Javitz. (That's what I was hoping it would include).

That would have been nice, but those depths and surrounding buildings preclude it. I also heard something about a direct connection to Hudson Yards, but now I'm not sure what's going on with that.

8 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

A direct connection would be a giant safety hazard. There's a reason they have people queue outside the convention center during extremely large events.

The keyword being “a” because just one connection would not be enough. Multiple endpoints sprinkled in the vicinity of the center would be better for dispersing the crowds.

18 hours ago, CenSin said:

The keyword being “a” because just one connection would not be enough. Multiple endpoints sprinkled in the vicinity of the center would be better for dispersing the crowds.

Even so, conventions are generally secured using only a few entrances, with large lines outside, and the more hole we dig underground to make room for all this, the more money we have to spend on the station.

On 9/2/2018 at 4:25 PM, RR503 said:

You know, I’m glad they’re opening more entrances in the area, but long term, I don’t think the (7) is gonna be enough for HY. The sheer number of jobs and residential units slated for the area is projected to catapult 34-HY’s ridership ahead of Times Square’s — something on the order of 200,000 people per day. If we were talking about the line in isolation, that would be fine, but (7) loads from Queens aren’t getting lighter and the platforms in Midtown aren’t getting wider. I wouldn’t be surprised if that confluence of (bidirectional) ridership flows at island-platform stations causes crowding, stairway congestion and dwell issues worse than those seen at GCT. I think MTA thus will have to look at a second HY transit link. Maybe LIRR platforms in the Yard for a short term fix, but longer term I think a second subway line (so, the (L)) will be needed — especially given that the surrounding area is in the process of up-zoning...

On 9/2/2018 at 9:09 PM, Around the Horn said:

The downgrade is too steep, which is the same reason why there is no Avenue C station on the (L) 

The (L) going up 10th Avenue to 72nd Street could be exactly what they need... If you can build a high capacity terminal with tail tracks at 72nd Street, that would also allow for more frequency on the existing line. 

That is EXACTLY what I would do, and such can include building a 10th Avenue/41st Street station on the (7) that can go to 9th Avenue and have an entrance to the PABT with a transfer between the (L) and (7) there.  Still would do it with the stations at:

23rd Street (exits at 22nd and 23rd Street)
31st-33rd Street (exits aligned to walk over to Moynahan Station from 10th Avenue as well as Hudson Yards)
41st Street (Transfer to (7), exits at 41st and 42nd Streets) 
49th-50th Streets
58th Street-Roosevelt Hospital (also a straight shot walking to the Time Warner Center from 10th Avenue, exits at 58th and 60th Street)
66th Street-Lincoln Center
72nd Street-Broadway (Transfer to (1)(2)(3))

This also would have provisions to go further up Amsterdam Avenue.

Yep, extending the (L) to 72nd is a must, with connections to the (7) (at a new station) and (1)(2)(3). It would serve neighborhoods that are already dense, growing fast, and don't have adequate subway access. And the ability to add tail tracks as part of the project solves a bottleneck issue for the whole (L). I don't understand why this isn't being talked about seriously right now by the MTA. 

I wish the MTA cared to coordinate with Transit Wireless and the architects of new and renovated stations. The cellular antennas, black LED signs, and CCTV cameras should all be integrated into the station design. You see that in other systems like London and Paris that care about the details. Here they seem happy to mar a nice design with ugly boxes tacked on like an afterthought even in brand-new stations. Ugh. 

8 hours ago, rbrome said:

Yep, extending the (L) to 72nd is a must, with connections to the (7) (at a new station) and (1)(2)(3). It would serve neighborhoods that are already dense, growing fast, and don't have adequate subway access. And the ability to add tail tracks as part of the project solves a bottleneck issue for the whole (L). I don't understand why this isn't being talked about seriously right now by the MTA. 

With the MTA as it is currently, it could be a blessing that that aren’t talking about it. Wait for more competent leadership and labor reforms so that they don’t bungle the project with huge bills and crap construction.

Archived