Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Elmhurst

Mysterious shuttle bus

This is typical of the (MTA) . Surely someone complained about no local train service along CPW, AND the lack of communication about such shutdowns. Now they’re running an unofficial shuttle bus and being very tight lipped about it. What’s the point of running it if they don’t want people using it? They clearly don’t since they won’t officially say that it exists, nor put up signage for it.

The MTA runs a Q102 short-turn for the closed Astoria stations. They called it extra service on the Q102. The buses are even signed up as Q102. Are these shuttles supposed to be an M10 short-turn? Because the bus operators don't think it is. To them it is clearly a distinct shuttle service.

So it is quite obvious that the MTA is trying to cover its existence up.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GojiMet86 said:

So it is quite obvious that the MTA is trying to cover its existence up.

This a case of poor public communication or the 'shuttles' are just buses not in service. Maybe the (MTA) planned to do this shuttle while the ESI work was being done but they decided not to go ahead with it last minute. 

I actually have seen a bus signed up as "TO SUBWAY" at Columbus Circle, and I thought it was weird, since nothing nearby was being worked on. This was last month IIRC. So it has existed. Whether it still does is anybody's guess.

8 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I actually have seen a bus signed up as "TO SUBWAY" at Columbus Circle, and I thought it was weird, since nothing nearby was being worked on. This was last month IIRC. So it has existed. Whether it still does is anybody's guess.

I think I recall seeing one of these buses along CPW (near 81st) as well around late July. I thought it was for the 72nd Street ESI until I realized no official shuttle bus existed. Im sure it still might exist, but the lack of good communication with this agency annoys me to no end.  

“I have seen the bus chugging merrily along. Not only were there no passengers, but there was no driver in the moving vehicle. The mystery deepens,”

....quipped someone named Ben David.

I'm all for humor, but given the grand scheme of things, I don't find this remotely funny....

------------------------

Ghost-buses... Stupid shit... This is what riders have to put up with.

To me, this is akin to your s/o (significant other) taking the keys to your car.... You tell her that you can't take the car & then ask for your keys back, she throws the keys at you (hitting you in the face), you then get into a spat about being hit in the face with the keys, then ole girl says "well there's your damn keys" (along with a few choice expletives).....

Yeah, I'm willing to bet that somebody/some group of people with enough pull, filed a formal complaint regarding CPW local subway service up there & this is how the MTA's responding to that complaint... Very juvenile... And I'm supposed to believe that they care about the riding public? I call BS & here's a good example of the contrary... I don't see this as a communication issue, I see this as an act done out of unadulterated spitefulness..... and then want to nickel & dime passengers that utilize the fixed route services & impose fare increases on top of it....

• Upvote 2

Alright folks. These buses are suppose to be M10 supplement shuttles. Not to be mistaken with subway shuttles. These extra buses are just regular signed M10s between 59st and 125th. They make all local stops in between. The operator that the Post had interviewed who had a subway shuttle sign is mistaken and obviously so as it seemed like he had no idea what hes talking about when being questioned.

That is why the signs posted along CPW is advising to take M10 due to the supplement M10 shuttles and MTA doesnt acknowledge that theres an actual SUBWAY SHUTTLE. It's just extra M10 runs sort of say.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Statty said:

Alright folks. These buses are suppose to be M10 supplement shuttles. Not to be mistaken with subway shuttles. These extra buses are just regular signed M10s between 59st and 125th. They make all local stops in between. The operator that the Post had interviewed who had a subway shuttle sign is mistaken and obviously so as it seemed like he had no idea what hes talking about when being questioned.

That is why the signs posted along CPW is advising to take M10 due to the supplement M10 shuttles and MTA doesnt acknowledge that theres an actual SUBWAY SHUTTLE. It's just extra M10 runs sort of say.

This is exactly why transit (and the union) advises all employees to never speak to the media. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Statty said:

That would make more sense, but then why are these extra M10 buses (signed up as a shuttle) only stopping at the B/C subway stations and skipping M10 local stops?

That's what I'm not understanding either. Why tell operators to sign it Shuttle?

The Q102 short-turns were signed up as Q102. They even had 30 Ave-31st Street on the sign to say it wasn't going to the Projects.

38 minutes ago, SIMplicity said:

That would make more sense, but then why are these extra M10 buses (signed up as a shuttle) only stopping at the B/C subway stations and skipping M10 local stops?

Mistake on the operators part. No idea why he thought it's a subway shuttle. In the depot crew room, it states it as an M10 supplement service and to service all stops between 125th and 59th st. Even on the memo, it states to use M10 signage.

Also the supplement shuttles right now are using M10 signage. Not suppose to be using SUBWAY SHUTTLE or TO SUBWAY.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Statty said:

Mistake on the operators part. No idea why he thought it's a subway shuttle. In the depot crew room, it states it as an M10 supplement service and to service all stops between 125th and 59th st. Even on the memo, it states to use M10 signage.

Also the supplement shuttles right now are using M10 signage. Not suppose to be using SUBWAY SHUTTLE or TO SUBWAY.

Yeah someone has to be telling them that. It would be one thing if one operator was doing it. It seems as if they're ALL doing it, so what gives?  

38 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah someone has to be telling them that. It would be one thing if one operator was doing it. It seems as if they're ALL doing it, so what gives?  

Not sure where you're getting the fact that ALL of them are doing it. If all of them were doing it, the Post wouldnt make it such a big deal being it as a 'ghost bus' or real occasion. Just yesterday, ive seen the signage on the shuttles as 125th and 59th respectively.

Just now, Statty said:

Not sure where you're getting the fact that ALL of them are doing it. If all of them were doing it, the Post wouldnt make it such a big deal being it as a 'ghost bus' or real occasion. Just yesterday, ive seen the signage on the shuttles as 125th and 59th respectively.

Clearly some of them are doing it (and a good amount of them at that), otherwise it wouldn't be an issue, so I'll ask again, why are some of them doing it and who is telling them to do this?  

4 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Clearly some of them are doing it (and a good amount of them at that), otherwise it wouldn't be an issue, so I'll ask again, why are some of them doing it and who is telling them to do this?  

If an operator mistakenly misunderstood instructions, placed up a SUBWAY SHUTTLE sign, and only stopped at subway connecting bus stops. He would make a lot of round trips going back and forth as there is only 6-7 stops. It may seem like a good amount of buses are doing it, but really it's just that one same bus going back and forth.

Again, it's on a memo, black and white - issued by management that this is only supplement service to the M10 between 125th and 59th. IMO operator probably didnt even read and did as he thought.

• LMAO! 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Statty said:

If an operator mistakenly misunderstood instructions, placed up a SUBWAY SHUTTLE sign, and only stopped at subway connecting bus stops. He would make a lot of round trips going back and forth as there is only 6-7 stops. It may seem like a good amount of buses are doing it, but really it's just that one same bus going back and forth.

Again, it's on a memo, black and white - issued by management that this is only supplement service to the M10 between 125th and 59th. IMO operator probably didnt even read and did as he thought.

Wouldn't surprise me...

• LMAO! 1

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Wouldn't surprise me...

Heh.. wouldn't be the first time - i'll say. *facepalm

13 hours ago, Statty said:

Heh.. wouldn't be the first time - i'll say. *facepalm

Have you ever operated the M3 before, and if you do.. Do you personally have any concern about the M3 Turn around point in Ft. George?

9 hours ago, WestFarms36 said:

Have you ever operated the M3 before, and if you do.. Do you personally have any concern about the M3 Turn around point in Ft. George?

Yes. I've done M3 my last pick, which is my favorite line. No concerns particularly with the turn around point. Only thing the buses have to do is a U-turn to layover going S/B. To do this U-turn without having to reverse the bus, most bus operators hop the sidewalk - which if you ever see that sidewalk, it's all cracked and damaged lol.