Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Via Garibaldi 8

‘Disturbed’ homeless man busted for attempted rape on MTA express bus: cops

‘Disturbed’ homeless man busted for attempted rape on MTA express bus: cops

By Larry Celona and Amanda Woods                                                                                            September 1, 2018 | 10:10am | Updated

180901-mta.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=61

Tim Wiencis

An unhinged homeless man allegedly tried to rape a passenger aboard an express bus in lower Manhattan — but courageous fellow commuters leaped to her rescue, holding him until cops rushed to the scene.

The victim, described by police sources as a 41-year-old woman, had been riding in the back of a Mill Basin-Brooklyn-bound BM1 bus at around 9 p.m. on Friday.

At some point, suspect Allah Ali, described by cops as homeless and “emotionally disturbed,” boarded the bus, though it was not immediately clear if he had paid the $6.50 fare or somehow sneaked on.

As the bus crawled into the intersection of Pearl and Frankfort streets, the woman was approached from behind by Ali, 45.

Ali allegedly grabbed the woman’s breast and shoved her to the floor of the bus, sources told The Post.

He then tried to rip off her underwear, the sources continued.

But brave passengers quickly came to her aide, yanking the alleged fiend off his terrified victim, sources said.

The bystanders helped restrain Ali until cops arrived.

By late Saturday, Ali was expected to undergo a psychiatric evaluation at Bellevue Hospital, the sources said.

When he is arraigned, he will face charges of sex abuse and attempted rape, according to sources. Ali has two sealed prior arrests, police said.

The victim was treated at the scene and not hospitalized.

The disturbing incident is the third serious, random attack by a homeless person this summer, according to police.

In July, a crazed panhandler allegedly smashed a straphanger in the face with a metal pipe as they road a southbound No. 2 train in Brooklyn.

Geovannie Nieves, 35, pleaded not guilty in Manhattan Supreme Court last month to felony assault and remains jailed in lieu of $100,000 cash bail.

Also in July, another homeless man allegedly went on a drunken rampage in the East Village, pummeling three women on three streets within an hour.

Carlos Munoz, 23, has pleaded not guilty to felony assault and is being held in lieu of $15,000 cash bail.

Additional reporting by Joe Marino and Olivia Bensimon

Source: https://nypost.com/2018/09/01/disturbed-homeless-man-busted-for-attempted-rape-on-mta-bus-cops/?utm_source=url_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I don't mean to laugh at this since rape is no joke, but how is it possible a homeless man was able to board an express bus? And I seriously doubt he was able to pay $6.50 unless it was a guy who belonged to a shelter or something. I'll wait for more details on that man.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

I don't mean to laugh at this since rape is no joke, but how is it possible a homeless man was able to board an express bus? And I seriously doubt he was able to pay $6.50 unless it was a guy who belonged to a shelter or something. I'll wait for more details on that man.

He definitely had to be disturbed to do this in broad daylight with other passengers around.  Sometimes the women go to sleep on the express bus because they feel safe.  I make a habit of taking an outside seat to block my personal belongings and am always aware of who is around me. If there's non-regular on the bus that I haven't seen before I take extra precautions if I feel uneasy. I won't take a nap and will put on the overhead lights if the lights are out. You just never know these days.  There has definitely been an increase in these mentally disturbed people on the subway and thus I take precautions there too. I don't get too close to the platform. I'd rather wait for the next train if need be.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Have you seen how people just hop on buses without paying? They just walk on. So it’s no surprise to me. 

8 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

Have you seen how people just hop on buses without paying? They just walk on. So it’s no surprise to me. 

That's not the norm on express buses though.  

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That's not the norm on express buses though.  

Could be the bum had enough $ on his metrocard to pay the fare. Great that the passengers came to the victim's aid. If it was an SI express bus the accused might have been killed by the passengers. Would have made a great S.I. Advance story.

• LMAO! 4

4 minutes ago, Dan1 said:

Could be the bum had enough $ on his metrocard to pay the fare. Great that the passengers came to the victim's aid. If it was an SI express bus the accused might have been killed by the passengers. Would have made a great S.I. Advance story.

Agreed...

I remember seeing some flat out drunks on the QM1/A back in the Queens Surface days on weekends. But no true psychotics. I do think the B/O's on express buses take more "control" over passenger behavior than on locals (e.g., calling out people who farebeat or talk too loudly).

This is the first I have heard of an attempted rape, but it underscores why B/O's should not be turning off every single light on the express bus. Some of them even turn off the reading lamps in addition to all the other lights, which is a real safety hazard. 

A few months ago, I did see a Russian guy and a Black lady scream at each other and threaten each other on the QM6 one night and the B/O did nothing. What happened was that the B/O had pulled over at 46th street and refused to drive because some passenger who got on at 45th St was a dollar short. So the Russian guy started yelling at the B/O not to hold everyone else up just because of this lady. The B/O ignored him, but then this other passanger (the Black lady) started yelling at the Russian guy to leave the B/O alone. Then the Russian guy starts yelling at the lady, who stands up, goes up to the guy's face, and says "I will defend myself!" Then, the rest of us passengers had to tell them both to shut up and sit down like adults. Then the lady starts threatening us! Meanwhile, the B/O pretends to be in la-la land ignoring all of this. The real kicker was that while these two idiots were yelling at eachother, the original passenger who was a dollar short got some quarters, paid the remainder of the fare, and the B/O was driving again. 

Edited by QM1to6Ave
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I remember seeing some flat out drunks on the QM1/A back in the Queens Surface days on weekends. But no true psychotics. I do think the B/O's on express buses take more "control" over passenger behavior than on locals (e.g., calling out people who farebeat or talk too loudly).

This is the first I have heard of an attempted rape, but it underscores why B/O's should not be turning off every single light on the express bus. Some of them even turn off the reading lamps in addition to all the other lights, which is a real safety hazard. 

A few months ago, I did see a Russian guy and a Black lady scream at each other and threaten each other on the QM6 one night and the B/O did nothing. What happened was that the B/O had pulled over at 46th street and refused to drive because some passenger who got on at 45th St was a dollar short. So the Russian guy started yelling at the B/O not to hold everyone else up just because of this lady. The B/O ignored him, but then this other passanger (the Black lady) started yelling at the Russian guy to leave the B/O alone. Then the Russian guy starts yelling at the lady, who stands up, goes up to the guy's face, and says "I will defend myself!" Then, the rest of us passengers had to tell them both to shut up and sit down like adults. Then the lady starts threatening us! Meanwhile, the B/O pretends to be in la-la land ignoring all of this. The real kicker was that while these two idiots were yelling at eachother, the original passenger who was a dollar short got some quarters, paid the remainder of the fare, and the B/O was driving again. 

lol That’s hilarious. Those CP drivers are a trip.... They all chase skirt. If that was a woman that he was fond of, she would’ve been waived on. I had a few drivers that would do that and I’d file a complaint because the bus is PITCH black and you can’t see a damn thing!!! Sometimes I had to resort to using the flashlight app on my phone to make sure I didn’t leave anything. I lost a very expensive pair of earbuds like that. Dropped them on the floor on the express bus and didn’t even know it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The real scary thing is that this was on an express bus. The culture there is very different from the local buses. The express buses actually developed in the 1960s and 1970s because the subways then were so unsafe that some customers would not use any other mode of mass transit at the time. These kinds of people rarely make it on an express bus unless they somehow have their entire fare, and generally a tighter ship is run vis a vis behavior on these buses as compared to a local/limited/SBS bus.

BTW, is there a policy that the MTA has regarding lighting? If it was up to me, it would be mandatory to have a minimum of luggage-line and reading lights on at all times. I also won't consider sleeping on an express bus if anyone looks unusual on it.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

The real scary thing is that this was on an express bus. The culture there is very different from the local buses. The express buses actually developed in the 1960s and 1970s because the subways then were so unsafe that some customers would not use any other mode of mass transit at the time. These kinds of people rarely make it on an express bus unless they somehow have their entire fare, and generally a tighter ship is run vis a vis behavior on these buses as compared to a local/limited/SBS bus.

BTW, is there a policy that the MTA has regarding lighting? If it was up to me, it would be mandatory to have a minimum of luggage-line and reading lights on at all times. I also won't consider sleeping on an express bus if anyone looks unusual on it.

Honestly the policy should be just having the luggage-line lights (aisle lights) on 24/7. The window lights should NEVER BE ON, especially at night, the glare is so damnn annoying at night, and during the day its completely unnecessary. The reading lights should be optional, giving passengers the option to turn them on or off. 

Personally, I think it's fine when the lights are off on the nonstop portion. I really don'the carry anything valuable so I'll sleep if I'm tired enough  (though usually I have a hard time doing so)