MTA NYC Transit Announces Community Workshops to Help Reshape the Future of Bronx Busing

Italianstallion

On 9/6/2018 at 2:33 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Successful re-design of Staten Island... What a joke... What are they basing that off of?   Will you be attending any of these? I'll be attending two of them.  I don't think the others work.  Too out of the way for me.

i be attending maybe 1 or 2.In the Bronx Area.Not attending  the ones on thursday.I got lot of suggestions regarding the redesign

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, jolusoji said:

i be attending maybe 1 or 2.In the Bronx Area.Not attending  the ones on thursday.I got lot of suggestions regarding the redesign

Unfortunately I have a lot of meetings for work that I have to attend for projects I am running so I can only attend about one or two tops. If I'm lucky I can get to the one in the Pelham Parkway/Morris Park area. Outside of that the one in Riverdale for sure.

On 9/7/2018 at 11:42 AM, paulrivera said:

The Bx12 carries more people along Fordham than along Pelham Pkwy (that's not saying that Pelham Pkwy doesn't carry a lot of riders because it does, but a lot of people ride the Fordham portion every hour of every day, morning, noon and night.)

Maybe they can bring back the old Bx24 that ran from Riverdale to Fordham from 20+ years ago. It would help out the Bx7 in Riverdale and the Bx12 on Fordham. The route was actually ahead of its time because it predated today's ongoing issues in Riverdale and the crowding on Fordham. I don't know how Riverdale let that route get cut...

The Bx24 was essentially useless as it ran at best every 24 minutes during a very brief peak period, and then 40 minutes the rest of the day. It was only useful as an  inadequate supplement to what is now the Bx10 and for students traveling to Fordham U. Its ridership was abysmal. 

3 hours ago, Italianstallion said:

The Bx24 was essentially useless as it ran at best every 24 minutes during a very brief peak period, and then 40 minutes the rest of the day.

Yeah, back then there wasn’t really a need for the Bx24. The Bx7/10/20 was more than plenty at the time in Riverdale (not to mention the Bx20 ran all day 6 days a week at that time) and the Bx12 wasn’t nearly as busy as it is now.

Here are some key points I am going to discuss with Byford during one of those meetings:

*LGA-Bronx route via RFK (specifically the Bx50 route)

*Possible merging of the Bx6 local and Bx46/eliminate the Bx46

*Simplify the Riverdale express routes (this one's a maybe)

*Split the Bx12 local into revamped Pelham Parkway/Fordham Road service; Bx22 extension/reroute to Sedgwick Av and if feasible run Bx22 trips to Bedford Park via Sedgwick and Kingsbridge (the latter I rather not have) and a different route between Co-op City (Bay Plaza) and Pelham Parkway station bypassing Pelham Bay

*Possible split of Bx9.

7 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Here are some key points I am going to discuss with Byford during one of those meetings:

*Split the Bx12 local into revamped Pelham Parkway/Fordham Road service; Bx22 extension/reroute to Sedgwick Av and if feasible run Bx22 trips to Bedford Park via Sedgwick and Kingsbridge (the latter I rather not have) and a different route between Co-op City (Bay Plaza) and Pelham Parkway station bypassing Pelham Bay

*Possible split of Bx9.

Simplify the Riverdale express buses how? We have three routes for a reason. We have no East Side subway. We have people that need a quick commute to  Midtown and Wall Street and people that work on the Upper West Side and West Midtown. The BxM3 already runs down 5th so having so many buses run down 5th would make no sense. It’s odd that you keep talking about alternating routes that you claim you’ve never even used nor do I believe that you’ve even been up here to see how the routes function.

8 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

*Possible split of Bx9.

The Bx9 does not need to be split. Its the only route during the night that still connects the (1)(4)(2) and (5) . The Bx9 needs a LTD counterpart to it.

14 hours ago, Italianstallion said:

The Bx24 was essentially useless as it ran at best every 24 minutes during a very brief peak period, and then 40 minutes the rest of the day. It was only useful as an  inadequate supplement to what is now the Bx10 and for students traveling to Fordham U. Its ridership was abysmal. 

Indeed.. I used to ride this line to School both PS81on Riverdale Ave and my JHS on Independence & 236th it really was a supplement to the 10 I felt like it was my personal route being the 1st/last stop was a block from my house some Fieldston kids used it when they were up by the Pizza shop on Mosholu as well but past 23Ist and Broadway there really no ridership by the time they cut service I was already using the 9. I remember there being S/B short turns at 231/Bway and buses would return to GH. I also remember my Mom saying the route got a lot more ridership when Fordham was a bigger shopping destination back in the 1960's/70's.  

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Simplify the Riverdale express buses how? We have three routes for a reason. We have no East Side subway. We have people that need a quick commute to  Midtown and Wall Street and people that work on the Upper West Side and West Midtown. The BxM3 already runs down 5th so having so many buses run down 5th would make no sense. It’s odd that you keep talking about alternating routes that you claim you’ve never even used nor do I believe that you’ve even been up here to see how the routes function.

I mostly refer to the 3 branches of the BxM1. Renumber the inwood bypass and maybe the Riverdale Avenue branch. But it's not really that major which is why I say maybe.

19 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

I mostly refer to the 3 branches of the BxM1. Renumber the inwood bypass and maybe the Riverdale Avenue branch. But it's not really that major which is why I say maybe.

Oh I see.  Well back in the day the BxM1 was set up differently since the BxM18 ran differently as well.  What I've been asking for now for years is that the (MTA) change the damn signage on the Super Express BxM1 trips that skip Spuyten Duyvil similar to how the BxM2 buses have separate signage for the two Super Express trips in the AM commute.  There are some BxM1 drivers that keep getting confused and go the wrong way because the signage for the Super Express trips is identical for those that continue down Henry Hudson Parkway after West 239th but skip Inwood.  Those errors add on as much as 15 minutes and leave passengers at Riverdale and 236th without service or scrambling to get to another express bus stop.  Those Super Express trips serve two purposes on the BxM1 and BxM2:

They provide service to people who are east of Riverdale Avenue and want a quick commute on the express bus. Otherwise they have to make their way all the way over to Henry Hudson Parkway which is not easy given the hills and the street layout, not to mention having to cross the footbridge to access one of the stops (236th and Henry Hudson Parkway West).  They also help prevent overcrowding which is why you have the via Inwood trips start about 10 minutes or so earlier than the Super Express trips.  

I think between the BxM1 and BxM2 each makes about 10 stops or so in Manhattan.  I would keep the BxM2 as is, but I would remove one stop from the BxM1. There's a stop at 64th that just seems stupid. Keep the one at 61st and let the bus pick up at 69th.  It isn't a big thing but perhaps it should be considered.  If the stop was further spaced apart fine, but since they can't have any stop near 57th street as they do Southbound, 61st really can cover two stops.

The real issue facing the Riverdale express buses is traffic these days, and I plan on discussing how we can get our buses moving.  The stops and turnound points are very simple for both the BxM1 and BxM2. Additionally, many Riverdalians are not happy with the frequency of the BxM18. It stops running far too early in the morning, so that the Midtown folks have to sit through stops on the Upper East and Upper West Side.  Despite repeated efforts from our elected officials to ask for later BxM18 service in the morning (at my request), the AM schedule has remained identical now for almost 6 years and then some.  We'd like service until about 08:30-09:00.  You could do that by having one or two more buses. Have a 08:00 bus and then an 08:30 bus or an 08:15 bus and a 08:45 bus.  

Just now, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I disagree... If Those riders want to know about the BxM3, they can come to one of the meetings in the Bronx, or go to the one in Riverdale.  

Place advertisements for the Riverdale meetings in Getty Square (and the Yonkers MNR station) and on the buses as well so riders can see them.

39 minutes ago, GreatOne2k said:

Place advertisements for the Riverdale meetings in Getty Square (and the Yonkers MNR station) and on the buses as well so riders can see them.

It's bad enough that the BxM3 runs into Yonkers as it is. In other words, City services should remain just that.  They already come down and use BxM1, 2 and 18 even though it doesn't stop at 263rd, but rather 261st southbound, and I certainly wouldn't want that advertised.  Let them take Metro-North because they don't want us using Metro-North but they have no problem using our express buses. 

With that said, one thing I am really going to push for in these workshops is more DIRECT express bus service to Riverdale. A lot of us are sick of taking a damn tour of Inwood.  Yesterday my bus was an HOUR late before it even picked us up at 91st and 3rd.  On top of me losing my transfer as a result of the bus being so insanely late, we had to go through Inwood even though no one got off at any of the three stops and now with that stupid bike lane that they have on Dyckman, you can be stuck going through those little three stops for 15-20 minutes alone with the narrowing of the streets and the congestion.  It just made the commute even longer than it was already and this has become more and more of a problem on weekends over the last few years.  We don't need every BxM1 stopping in Inwood Saturdays and Sundays when they have two subways in the neighborhood. If they want to give them East Side access, give them every other bus, not every bus.  I say "we" because in speaking with folks in Riverdale, it's a common complaint at the bus stops.  Either we try to get the ones that go directly to Riverdale, or take the BxM2 since all of those go directly to Riverdale.  Even with the ones that go direct to Riverdale, they'll get on and try to feign ignorance about not knowing that it skips Inwood, and then demand to be let out in Inwood, so we're still stuck making stops in Inwood that we should be skipping. I file a complaint every time that happens. Let them wait for the Inwood buses.  The last time some B/O did that crap, we spent a good 20+ minutes longer getting to Riverdale, and with congestion being what it is, I am not interested in havng an hour 30+ minute commute each way.

7 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

The Riverdale meeting counts as "one of the meetings in the Bronx."

Our community is big enough to have one just for Riverdale (40,000+ residents), which should be the focus anyway. I mean I would think that the other locations will be filled with people from the area, like the one up in Co-op City. Co-op City is big enough to have one for their own neighborhood.

17 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It's bad enough that the BxM3 runs into Yonkers as it is. In other words, City services should remain just that.  They already come down and use BxM1, 2 and 18 even though it doesn't stop at 263rd, but rather 261st southbound, and I certainly wouldn't want that advertised.  Let them take Metro-North because they don't want us using Metro-North but they have no problem using our express buses. 

With that said, one thing I am really going to push for in these workshops is more DIRECT express bus service to Riverdale. A lot of us are sick of taking a damn tour of Inwood.  Yesterday my bus was an HOUR late before it even picked us up at 91st and 3rd.  On top of me losing my transfer as a result of the bus being so insanely late, we had to go through Inwood even though no one got off at any of the three stops and now with that stupid bike lane that they have on Dyckman, you can be stuck going through those little three stops for 15-20 minutes alone with the narrowing of the streets and the congestion.  It just made the commute even longer than it was already and this has become more and more of a problem on weekends over the last few years.  We don't need every BxM1 stopping in Inwood Saturdays and Sundays when they have two subways in the neighborhood. If they to give them East Side access, give them every other bus, not every bus.  I say "we" because in speaking with folks in Riverdale, it's a common complaint at the bus stops.  Either we try to get the ones that go directly to Riverdale, or take the BxM2 since all of those go directly to Riverdale.  Even with the ones that go direct to Riverdale, they'll get on and try to feign ignorance about not knowing that it skips Inwood, and then demand to be let out in Inwood, so we're still stuck making stops in Inwood that we should be skipping. I file a complaint every time that happens. Let them wait for the Inwood buses.  The last time some B/O did that crap, we spent a good 20+ minutes longer getting to Riverdale, and with congestion being what it is, I am not interested in havng an hour 30+ minute commute each way.

BxM3 running into Yonkers helps to bring additional riders to the route and to cut down on deadheads. People on Riverdale Avenue are closer to the BxM1/2/18 than Metro North, same thing with South Broadway and the BxM3. Most people from Yonkers use the 1/2/4 to the subway instead of the BxM1/2/3/18.

5 minutes ago, GreatOne2k said:

1.  BxM3 running into Yonkers helps to bring additional riders to the route and to cut down on deadheads.

2.  People on Riverdale Avenue are closer to the BxM1/2/18 than Metro North, same thing with South Broadway and the BxM3. Most people from Yonkers use the 1/2/4 to the subway instead of the BxM1/2/3/18.

1. Not that many though... Those are likely people that just don't want to spend more for Metro-North especially during peak periods. I take the BxM3 from time to time.  The buses are hit or miss with riders from Yonkers.

2. While there's some truth to that, if you're coming down to 261st for the express bus, then you're making a concerted effort to do so, since all of those Bee Line buses stop dead smack at the border (at 263rd), save the ones that come down to 242nd and those run closed door from Westchester.  

57 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I disagree... If Those riders want to know about the BxM3, they can come to one of the meetings in the Bronx, or go to the one in Riverdale.  

He mentioned putting signs on the buses themselves which isn't a bad idea, for both Yonkers and Bronx BxM3 riders (for that matter, they should be put on all Bronx buses, local and express, as well as in all the Bronx subway stations). If someone comes from Westchester to use Bronx transit service, they'll see it at some point.

Just now, checkmatechamp13 said:

He mentioned putting signs on the buses themselves which isn't a bad idea, for both Yonkers and Bronx BxM3 riders.

Signs on the buses are fine, but they shouldn't have meetings specifically in Yonkers for City services.  Just crazy.  If ridership on the BxM3 with the City border were stronger, I'd actually push to have it cut from Yonkers to be honest.  The people along Broadway would use the BxM3 more in North Riverdale if there were more Super Expresses.  

Archived