MTA NYC Transit Announces Community Workshops to Help Reshape the Future of Bronx Busing

Italianstallion

On 10/14/2018 at 12:40 AM, jolusoji said:

When was this?,What was the request?I  in the Soundview area! I am not able to attend one of the workshops.

maybe the route can run from Gun hill using 40fter since the ferry terminal cannot handle 60ft buses and  we have the bx39,bx5 combo bx26,28,30,38

Yep it was a request by the residents of Co-Op thing is it doesn’t make much sense. By the time you ride all the way over to the ferry then get on a boat you’d already be in Manhattan via subway. That route would have to push via Pelham Bay anyways.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I went to the one tonight and my table had 3 folks from City Island. The issue of 3-legged transfers was brought up (Bx29-Bx12-(2) train) as well as potentially shortening the Bx29 to operate as a City Island shuttle to avoid the I-95 traffic.

They should extend the BxM8 to City Island on the weekends... the fact that the MTA only leaves the Bx29 there is a great symbol of how it doesn't understand off-peak commuters and people using transit outside of work.

12 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

They should extend the BxM8 to City Island on the weekends... the fact that the MTA only leaves the Bx29 there is a great symbol of how it doesn't understand off-peak commuters and people using transit outside of work.

The Express Bus Advocacy Group wants more trips extended to City Island. There are a lot of people that work in City Island that are left stranded when there is no Bx29 service or when the bus is delayed. Having the BxM8 as an option would be good for them, as well as people who want to visit and of course the residents.

11 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I actually agree that they should receive some more BxM8 service, but surprisingly enough, nobody at the table actually mentioned it. 

It's likely because those folks already use the Bx29 so that's their focus, but I spoke with the Bronx road ops a few weeks ago about City Island and he thought it was a good idea. He is a very smart guy. We actually talked about a ton of different express bus routes and ideas that I had, and he was familiar with all of the problems I raised. Of course road ops doesn't have any say with regards to service, but at least it was good to know that someone in the agency got my ideas.  You see the only question I have is how much service should go down there.  I think the businesses down there would like it during the warmer months. People could take the express bus down there for the restaurants and relax.  Some workers could use it as well.  

Summer traffic down there can be hell though, so that raises the question of would it make the BxM8 more unreliable.  If the trips only take about 15-20 minutes more and you gain more riders on weekends then it may be worth it.  

I'm going to bring up the Bx9 as it is in dire need of a limited or some type of SBS service...no reason it should take 1 hour to get from 242nd St to Fordham...

Also, does anyone else agree with me that off board payment should be available to limited lines as well without the need for SBS conversion?

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:49 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

I went to the one tonight and my table had 3 folks from City Island. The issue of 3-legged transfers was brought up (Bx29-Bx12-(2) train) as well as potentially shortening the Bx29 to operate as a City Island shuttle to avoid the I-95 traffic.

Everyone wants optimal service obviously, but at the same time, some folks take things too far....

In laymens, people need to be careful for what they wish for.

8 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

....Also, does anyone else agree with me that off board payment should be available to limited lines as well without the need for SBS conversion?

Off board payment should have been implemented & added to LTD service as an attempt of enhancing the already established service type, instead of introducing a (half-assed version of a) new service type to this city with that very improvement included.....

Just finished up at the workshop tonight. I was not impressed at all. It didn’t matter if you were an express bus rider or a local bus rider or a Metro-North rider. We were all put together and they asked the same questions basically. Where your trip starts usually and where it usually ends which is retarded. Some days I have meetings Downtown and others in Midtown so doing this set up is misleading. They did they whole coverage versus frequency and then talked about which things you prioritized more. Countdown clocks, weekend service, rush hour service, late night service, etc. It sucked to be frank. They allow you to make additional comments online which I will be doing. I’m also very concerned that they may try to give us just one express bus line versus the three that we have now and I use all three. When one corridor is a mess or I’m say on the Upper West Side, I have options and I want it to stay that way. 

The turnout was not great either and I didn’t see Byford there. Maybe he was stuck in traffic like I was. I left my office at 4pm and got to Riverdale AFTER 6pm... Almost 06:30pm!! Waited almost half an hour and two BxM2s came, and then we crawled all the way through Manhattan, crawled on the Deegan and crawled through most of Riverdale until we reached 239th. Total mess of a commute.

7 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Just finished up at the workshop tonight. I was not impressed at all. It didn’t matter if you were an express bus rider or a local bus rider or a Metro-North rider. We were all put together and they asked the same questions basically. Where your trip starts usually and where it usually ends which is retarded. Some days I have meetings Downtown and others in Midtown so doing this set up is misleading. They did they whole coverage versus frequency and then talked about which things you prioritized more. Countdown clocks, weekend service, rush hour service, late night service, etc. It sucked to be frank. They allow you to make additional comments online which I will be doing. I’m also very concerned that they may try to give us just one express bus line versus the three that we have now and I use all three. When one corridor is a mess or I’m say on the Upper West Side, I have options and I want it to stay that way. 

The turnout was not great either and I didn’t see Byford there. Maybe he was stuck in traffic like I was. I left my office at 4pm and got to Riverdale AFTER 6pm... Almost 06:30pm!! Waited almost half an hour and two BxM2s came, and then we crawled all the way through Manhattan, crawled on the Deegan and crawled through most of Riverdale until we reached 239th. Total mess of a commute.

From what I know Byford dosen't go to these meetings. He only goes to major ones like the recent ones for Brooklyn and Manhattan.

45 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah, it's not too much different than the online survey.

That BxM1/BxM1A/BxM1C/BxM1X route combo's gonna make a ton of money though. Just picture that BxM1C running via Inwood every 20 minutes off peak. An improvement*!duck.gif

*Actually not an improvement, since the BxM1C would just be the BxM1 merged with the BxM2, and when you truly crunch the numbers you'd actually lose 1 bus per hour in Riverdale. 

20 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

Yeah, it's not too much different than the online survey.

That BxM1/BxM1A/BxM1C/BxM1X route combo's gonna make a ton of money though. Just picture that BxM1C running via Inwood every 20 minutes off peak. An improvement*!duck.gif

*Actually not an improvement, since the BxM1C would just be the BxM1 merged with the BxM2, and when you truly crunch the numbers you'd actually lose 1 bus per hour in Riverdale. 

A mess...

Archived