Jump to content


Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
East New York

Select Bus Service Planning

Recommended Posts

On 2/28/2019 at 1:23 PM, JFK Depot said:

IMO I think they dropped the ball when making the B44 the first Bklyn SBS...

it should’ve been either the B41 or B6 easily... don’t get me wrong the B44 is a good choice too but an SBS downtown Brooklyn to Kings Plaza is a no brainer if you ask me... and the B6 is just a beast busiest route hands down in Brooklyn 

The 6 and the 41 are not easy lines to convert at all. The 44 was the easiest out of Brooklyn Division

On 2/28/2019 at 9:39 PM, JFK Depot said:

The Vans is more of a DOT issue.. and TLC should be out there heavier to enforce things... they should really be looking into 60ft conversion on the 41 before they think about doing the 46 

The 41 has a lot to be planned and we don’t have the artics for it right now.

On 3/1/2019 at 7:26 AM, JFK Depot said:

Makes perfect sense...  and since this idea includes running 60s how about interlining the SBS’s at KP... 1 comes down as a 41 and goes back up as a 46 and vice versa

That’s not a good idea at all. Interlining of these SBS routes would seriously decrease reliability and make the dispatchers job harder. That’s fine on a local line but not a good idea here.

On 3/2/2019 at 1:57 AM, Jdog14 said:

 

So the dollar van nonsense can affect Utica Ave also? Hell no...that would be a big mistake..

 

No interlining should be happening whatsoever with SBS routes. Leave them seperate.

I agree that they should not be interlined unless they are branch routes like the M14A/D, M34/34A, or the Q52/53.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, East New York said:

The 6 and the 41 are not easy lines to convert at all. The 44 was the easiest out of Brooklyn Division

The 41 has a lot to be planned and we don’t have the artics for it right now.

 

May I ask whats the difficulty with the B6 and B41? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, East New York said:

The 6 and the 41 are not easy lines to convert at all. The 44 was the easiest out of Brooklyn Division

The 6 having the heaviest ridership out of 44 41 and 82 (only reason I mention the 82 is because it’s the next line up in Bklyn)  I can’t see why they didn’t look into that further... Granted the 6 at certain points isn’t streamlined but I’m sure with enough study an B6 SBS can happen 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JFK Depot said:

The 6 having the heaviest ridership out of 44 41 and 82 (only reason I mention the 82 is because it’s the next line up in Bklyn)  I can’t see why they didn’t look into that further... Granted the 6 at certain points isn’t streamlined but I’m sure with enough study an B6 SBS can happen 

I’m not the biggest fan of having a B6SBS due to a couple of factors. The route isn’t streamlined enough. Especially in the Flatlands, Canarsie and East New York areas. For one the 6 should travel via Flatlands and Avenue J straight route to Bensonhurst and vice versa. If the line could be streamlined to where the SBS travels strictly on Avenue J in both directions than I personally do see a shot for the 6 to become SBS.  

Have the local operate on H and possibly give it a new route number (TA is not in the business for this) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JFK Depot said:

The 6 having the heaviest ridership out of 44 41 and 82 (only reason I mention the 82 is because it’s the next line up in Bklyn)  I can’t see why they didn’t look into that further... Granted the 6 at certain points isn’t streamlined but I’m sure with enough study an B6 SBS can happen 

I don't depend on that so call data MTA use to determined which lines has the most passenger traffic. You have to remember sometimes fare beaters uses the back door and  sometimes operators don't even press the F5 to record unpaid passengers.  I know on the 41 almost every other stops I see passengers going through the back door or going through the front asking for a ride. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2019/03/07/leaked-documents-show-mtadot-may-bail-on-14th-street-busway/

The presentation is at the bottom of the article.

The Busway is still in play, but it’s not doing so well.

Transportation officials are still considering converting 14th Street into a bus-only roadway — though a presentation given to elected officials on Wednesday and subsequently leaked to Streetsblog described such a plan as “complicated” compared to a traditional bus lane.

The briefing revealed that the city Department of Transportation and the state-run MTA are looking at still looking two designs for 14th Street after having settled on a 17-hour, seven-day-a-week busway to mitigate the disaster of the L-train repair project, which has been radically reimagined. One would be the “Busway”: converting 14th Street between Ninth and First avenues into lanes for buses only, with taxi and local delivery vehicles permitted only to make drop-offs. That plan also calls for seven-foot-wide pedestrian expansions into the street. That plan has the support of transit activists who thought it would allow the city’s buses to move faster than the average New Yorker can walk.

The downside? According to the MTA/DOT, the Busway was more suited to a complete L shutdown, and is deemed a “complicated traffic pattern that may divert through traffic to other crosstown streets.” Opponents, who have threatened to sue the city and the MTA, say a busway would send car drivers onto local roadways in Greenwich Village and Chelsea, inundating those quiet neighborhoods with cars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Union Tpke said:

Opponents, who have threatened to sue the city and the MTA, say a busway would send car drivers onto local roadways in Greenwich Village and Chelsea, inundating those quiet neighborhoods with cars.

Quiet neighborhoods?! :lol: :lol:

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

53894646_2212142032359040_38748076792726Also what the heck is going on with that M14A western terminal?

How is that better than Abingdon Square and what problems with the current terminal does that solve?

 

Edited by Around the Horn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

53894646_2212142032359040_38748076792726Also what the heck is going on with that M14A western terminal?

How is that better than Abingdon Square and what problems with the current terminal does that solve?

 

Probably to make 14th st more "served". Only thing they need to do is fix 10th Av and it's not a bad area to terminate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2019/03/07/leaked-documents-show-mtadot-may-bail-on-14th-street-busway/

The presentation is at the bottom of the article.

The Busway is still in play, but it’s not doing so well.

Transportation officials are still considering converting 14th Street into a bus-only roadway — though a presentation given to elected officials on Wednesday and subsequently leaked to Streetsblog described such a plan as “complicated” compared to a traditional bus lane.

The briefing revealed that the city Department of Transportation and the state-run MTA are looking at still looking two designs for 14th Street after having settled on a 17-hour, seven-day-a-week busway to mitigate the disaster of the L-train repair project, which has been radically reimagined. One would be the “Busway”: converting 14th Street between Ninth and First avenues into lanes for buses only, with taxi and local delivery vehicles permitted only to make drop-offs. That plan also calls for seven-foot-wide pedestrian expansions into the street. That plan has the support of transit activists who thought it would allow the city’s buses to move faster than the average New Yorker can walk.

The downside? According to the MTA/DOT, the Busway was more suited to a complete L shutdown, and is deemed a “complicated traffic pattern that may divert through traffic to other crosstown streets.” Opponents, who have threatened to sue the city and the MTA, say a busway would send car drivers onto local roadways in Greenwich Village and Chelsea, inundating those quiet neighborhoods with cars.

I think they should just keep the busway option intact. Community boards 4, 5, and 6, which the 14th Street and 23rd Street corridors serve, would really like to see some real speed improvements after having noted enforcement problems on the nearby 34th Street corridor. After all, 30000 riders use the M14, so it would be beneficial to give them faster service and to avoid mistakes made on both 34th Street and 23rd Street.

On another note, I also looked at King Street Busway Pilot report, and if we use the King Street Busway, which is in Andy Byford's old stomping ground in Toronto, Canada, as a model for planning busways in NYC, pilot it here on 14th Street for two months, and apply it to all the major crosstown streets in Manhattan below 59th Street, then those crosstown buses will be a lot faster in this city, and more people would jump back on the bus for short trips, with the potential to take cars off the road. More people, more money, which can be used for service increases anywhere. Again, who doesn't want faster service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2018 at 4:21 AM, East New York said:

This thread will be to discuss all pending and planned SBS routes throughout the 5 boroughs. Planning calls for these routes to be rolled out through the next decade. For discussion about current SBS service, please refer to the existing, and recently renamed General SBS Discussion Thread.

 

Listed below are all the planned SBS routes as of September 9, 2018. Current priority is B82, M14, and S90. Please remember all information is subject to change without notice. 

 

Bronx Division

Bx3, Bx9, Bx15, Bx19, Bx28/38, Bx36, Bx40/42

 

Brooklyn Division

B6, B15, B35, B38*, B41, B82

*New Brooklyn Crosstown SBS may end up being some version of the B38 SBS vs an all new route.

 

Manhattan Division

M14, M96

 

Queens Division**

Q6, Q12, Q25, Q27, Q43, Q46, Q58, Q65, Q66 to Manhattan, Q85, Q113/114

** Please note Queens will be the last borough to undergo bus redesign. All planned SBS services for this borough will be put on hold until 2021. 

 

Staten Island

S90 or Some new SBS form of it.

@East New York The MTA had said that it would hold off on SBS, but this might have changed with the Better Buses Action Plan. Have you heard anything about this? It sure seems like the M96 SBS is after the M14 A and D.

47646525181_9365f8678b.jpgScreen Shot 2019-04-19 at 6.35.39 PM by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

@East New York The MTA had said that it would hold off on SBS, but this might have changed with the Better Buses Action Plan. Have you heard anything about this? It sure seems like the M96 SBS is after the M14 A and D.

47646525181_9365f8678b.jpgScreen Shot 2019-04-19 at 6.35.39 PM by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

The M96 was supposed to have started this year but was held back until next. Unless something has changed by now? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Brillant93 said:

The M96 was supposed to have started this year but was held back until next. Unless something has changed by now? 

That is correct, but the DOT is working to start SBS up, and the MTA will likely do so with the need for better alternatives with the passage of congestion pricing and additional funding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2019 at 1:23 PM, JFK Depot said:

IMO I think they dropped the ball when making the B44 the first Bklyn SBS...

it should’ve been either the B41 or B6 easily... don’t get me wrong the B44 is a good choice too but an SBS downtown Brooklyn to Kings Plaza is a no brainer if you ask me... and the B6 is just a beast busiest route hands down in Brooklyn 

Brooklyn gets stiffed too much and they could use the most improvements. When B35 mentioned their political incompetence, he wasn't kidding.

Why do 2.5 million people stay in the company [at the mercy, I mean] of such incompetent representatives?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2019 at 5:59 PM, Union Tpke said:

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2019/03/07/leaked-documents-show-mtadot-may-bail-on-14th-street-busway/

The presentation is at the bottom of the article.

The Busway is still in play, but it’s not doing so well.

Transportation officials are still considering converting 14th Street into a bus-only roadway — though a presentation given to elected officials on Wednesday and subsequently leaked to Streetsblog described such a plan as “complicated” compared to a traditional bus lane.

The briefing revealed that the city Department of Transportation and the state-run MTA are looking at still looking two designs for 14th Street after having settled on a 17-hour, seven-day-a-week busway to mitigate the disaster of the L-train repair project, which has been radically reimagined. One would be the “Busway”: converting 14th Street between Ninth and First avenues into lanes for buses only, with taxi and local delivery vehicles permitted only to make drop-offs. That plan also calls for seven-foot-wide pedestrian expansions into the street. That plan has the support of transit activists who thought it would allow the city’s buses to move faster than the average New Yorker can walk.

The downside? According to the MTA/DOT, the Busway was more suited to a complete L shutdown, and is deemed a “complicated traffic pattern that may divert through traffic to other crosstown streets.” Opponents, who have threatened to sue the city and the MTA, say a busway would send car drivers onto local roadways in Greenwich Village and Chelsea, inundating those quiet neighborhoods with cars.

New York City Transit. Still at the mercy of heartless NIMBYs. 😔

These people can literally afford to jet. Even if I became well off, I can't imagine ever living below I-287 ever again. I can't coexist with that many egos.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It feels like all crosstown buses becoming SBS in Manhattan.

M96 SBS:

Eastbound:

96th St/west End-Broadway; Amst, Columbus, CPW, 5th, Mad, Lex, 3rd, 2nd Avs, 97th St/1st Av.

Westbound: 

97th St/1st Av, 96th St/2nd, 3rd, Lex, Mad, 97th St/5th Av, CPW/97th St, 96th St/Columbus, Ams, Broadway, 97th St/West End Av.

 

If M42 becomes SBS.

Eastbound:

12th Av/42nd St pier, 42nd St/12th-11th Avs, 10th, 9th, 8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, Mad, Lex, 3rd, 2nd, 1st Avs.

Westbound: 

41st St/1st, 42nd St/2nd, 3rd, Lex, Mad, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th-12th Avs, 12th Av/42nd St Pier.

 

 

 

 

Edited by FamousNYLover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FamousNYLover said:

It feels like all crosstown buses becoming SBS in Manhattan.

M96 SBS:

Eastbound:

96th St/west End-Broadway; Amst, Columbus, CPW, 5th, Mad, Lex, 3rd, 2nd Avs, 97th St/1st Av.

Westbound: 

97th St/1st Av, 96th St/2nd, 3rd, Lex, Mad, 97th St/5th Av, CPW/97th St, 96th St/Columbus, Ams, Broadway, 97th St/West End Av.

 

If M42 becomes SBS.

Eastbound:

12th Av/42nd St pier, 42nd St/12th-11th Avs, 10th, 9th, 8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, Mad, Lex, 3rd, 2nd, 1st Avs.

Westbound: 

41st St/1st, 42nd St/2nd, 3rd, Lex, Mad, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th-12th Avs, 12th Av/42nd St Pier.

 

 

 

 

The M96 I could see getting SBS later. The M42 is so damn slow and has so much traffic I doubt SBS will make a difference (you also have the (S) and (7) being much faster in the center).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

The M96 I could see getting SBS later. The M42 is so damn slow and has so much traffic I doubt SBS will make a difference (you also have the (S) and (7) being much faster in the center).

 

So long as Lincoln Tunnel traffic is using 42 St the M42 will be a victim and no amount of SBS will do anything. 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

42 St is a traffic jam nightmare especially during rush hours SBS even with it's own bus lane would make it worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2018 at 11:40 AM, Future ENY OP said:

There’s something about this Dekalb Avenue SBS I really don’t like. We’re talking about a central part of Brooklyn where congestion is bad and fare evasion is rampant. If this dedicated SBS made a few stops in Ridgewood/Maspeth to the BQE into Downtown Brooklyn than I’d buy it. (I thought that was the original plan) 

The biggest issue I have is the B6. 

A) Fully duplicating the B82 

B) There’s a portion of Glenwood Road that can be used exclusively for the B6 in Canarsie 

C) As East New York mentioned to me earlier is the dwell times along the 6. 

When B6 becomes SBS, they should use artics, I dont know if UP depot is artic ready, but B6 needs artics because it really gets crowded

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ItzYeBoiAnthony said:

When B6 becomes SBS, they should use artics, I dont know if UP depot is artic ready, but B6 needs artics because it really gets crowded

Not happening anytime soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.