Express Bus Advocacy Group

Via Garibaldi 8

3 hours ago, 7-express said:

Not sure if any QM2/20/3 riders have noticed but they have been working on creating a new pedestrian island and a bike lane that goes straight through the 2nd Ave/59th Street area where it enters the bridge.  Looking at the DOT site, it seems that there will be some capacity lost on 59th Street entering the bridge due to the new pedestrian island, which creates a sharper turn and slower entry onto the bridge.  In the past couple weeks, congestion seems to be building a little faster than usual in the area due to the new layout and a temporary lane shift.  I'm not sure if this will improve after construction is completed but just something to note that can potentially cause a few extra minutes of delays crossing through the area.

F***ing DOT. If they love bike lanes so much, Polly T. should marry one. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, peacemak3r said:

Anywhere to complain about the cleanliness of the express buses? Specifically the BM3 and BM4. I'm not sure if it's my luck or not but lately on the way home; the BM3/4's I catch are freakin' filthy or have a bad odor to them. Ugh.

Complain here or in the Facebook group (Express Bus Advocacy Group). We wrote to Governor Cuomo just last week complaining about quite a few things, and new express buses is on the list. Additionally, we will be speaking before the MTA Board later this month about this and a few other issues.

For traffic going to Queens...is there a reason why the QM1/2/4/5/6/20 can't return the same way they came in, via the Queens Midtown? I mention these because they operate middays and weekends via a loop in Manhattan, but passengers may have to sit through a lengthy layover at 36 Street. By introducing a same last and first start point, with the return via 5 or 7 Avenue, that would eliminate that inconvenience. The other routes would not matter since they only operate in one direction.

3 hours ago, peacemak3r said:

Anywhere to complain about the cleanliness of the express buses? Specifically the BM3 and BM4. I'm not sure if it's my luck or not but lately on the way home; the BM3/4's I catch are freakin' filthy or have a bad odor to them. Ugh.

That is so weird especially considering that SC local buses are spotless. I live near the SC deadhead route for express buses and their MCI's look clean on the outside at least. The two SC MCI's I rode recently were pretty clean. I believe you I'm not implying that you're lying.

6 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

That is so weird especially considering that SC local buses are spotless. I live near the SC deadhead route for express buses and their MCI's look clean on the outside at least. The two SC MCI's I rode recently were pretty clean. I believe you I'm not implying that you're lying.

Buses are generally dirty on the inside. The USED to keep their fleet up better, but that was then and this is now... They just don’t mop the floors and then use some sort of sealer to seal in the dirt. Really disgusting...

32 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

For traffic going to Queens...is there a reason why the QM1/2/4/5/6/20 can't return the same way they came in, via the Queens Midtown? I mention these because they operate middays and weekends via a loop in Manhattan, but passengers may have to sit through a lengthy layover at 36 Street. By introducing a same last and first start point, with the return via 5 or 7 Avenue, that would eliminate that inconvenience. The other routes would not matter since they only operate in one direction.

Some of the Super Express trips go that way. They make one stop at 6th and 36th and then come that way via 36th street. The issue is that buses would be stuck in too much traffic now. Some buses did that before. The real answer now is to come up with a traffic mitigation plan. At our last meeting with the (MTA) and the DOT, we pushed for double bus lanes on 6th Avenue and we requested some sort of traffic mitigation plan for the QM2, QM3 and QM20 if they must continue via 59th street. These changes have to be studied (that can take a year alone), and then there is the cost to implement anything. Believe me, the DOT hears us loud and clear. They are looking at some of our proposals to see what can be implemented.

So yesterday, the 1600 QM2 (bus 2856) turned onto 57th Street and stayed on it till the QB bridge, bypassing all stops on 59th Street.  A fair amount of riders were left stranded waiting half an hour for the next one.

Also, the new traffic pattern on 59th is causing a lot of gridlock in the surrounding areas.  Trucks are having a hard time swinging wide to avoid that new bike lane island on 2nd Avenue to enter the QB bridge.  For the last couple weeks, traffic has backed up really quickly in the area, which is not aided by the amount of double parked cars in no standing lanes.  All in all, any run time saved by taking the 57th Street shortcut is now all gone due to the capacity restriction on 59th and 2nd.

12 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

I believe the schedules are set up so there is enough time for the B/O to do the drop off loop and get back to 36th and 6th before the next run. 

Additionally, For the most part, they eliminated having to sit during a layover by having passengers switch to another bus doing the loop that departs within 5 mins or so. 

1 hour ago, 7-express said:

So yesterday, the 1600 QM2 (bus 2856) turned onto 57th Street and stayed on it till the QB bridge, bypassing all stops on 59th Street.  A fair amount of riders were left stranded waiting half an hour for the next one.

Also, the new traffic pattern on 59th is causing a lot of gridlock in the surrounding areas.  Trucks are having a hard time swinging wide to avoid that new bike lane island on 2nd Avenue to enter the QB bridge.  For the last couple weeks, traffic has backed up really quickly in the area, which is not aided by the amount of double parked cars in no standing lanes.  All in all, any run time saved by taking the 57th Street shortcut is now all gone due to the capacity restriction on 59th and 2nd.

Urgh, really hate those medians. Some of them work, but many weren't thought out properly. I was on the M15 the other day and witnessed the same....

Edited by Missabassie

18 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

The buses are indeed clean...on the outside. But generally in the morning rush, everything is fine; spotless inside. It's the evening rush back that I usually catch the filthy ones. (inside the bus of course). I started taking a later bus and it's been cleaner at least. But I've definitely had some issues with the 4:00-6:00PM buses...(pretty much the super expresses going back to Brooklyn.)

7 hours ago, peacemak3r said:

The buses are indeed clean...on the outside. But generally in the morning rush, everything is fine; spotless inside. It's the evening rush back that I usually catch the filthy ones. (inside the bus of course). I started taking a later bus and it's been cleaner at least. But I've definitely had some issues with the 4:00-6:00PM buses...(pretty much the super expresses going back to Brooklyn.)

For the price they're charging, you're MORE than "right" to expect a clean bus (since Peak is when the MTA counts on customer traffic). Local buses are a *bit* more excusable (not in my book, but) to have some "wear and tear" from full loads and the like throughout the day, but for the MTA to be operating Express buses almost like "Charter" service (price-wise) and not delivering on basics such as a clean environment is unacceptable. If the MTA/NYC got tons of complaints about such conditions on Academy buses, they'd be the first to go after Academy and threaten to take their contract away. (Same if you actually did charter a bus and had to deal with poor maintenance or cleanliness -- you'd complain over your money's-worth as well as never use that company again.)

Just another way the MTA chases its own customers away, then blames them for clogging the streets in other modes of transportation.

7 hours ago, DetSMART45 said:

For the price they're charging, you're MORE than "right" to expect a clean bus (since Peak is when the MTA counts on customer traffic). Local buses are a *bit* more excusable (not in my book, but) to have some "wear and tear" from full loads and the like throughout the day, but for the MTA to be operating Express buses almost like "Charter" service (price-wise) and not delivering on basics such as a clean environment is unacceptable. If the MTA/NYC got tons of complaints about such conditions on Academy buses, they'd be the first to go after Academy and threaten to take their contract away. (Same if you actually did charter a bus and had to deal with poor maintenance or cleanliness -- you'd complain over your money's-worth as well as never use that company again.)

Just another way the MTA chases its own customers away, then blames them for clogging the streets in other modes of transportation.

If you asked them officially, they would say that their buses should be clean, just like they claim that they want all of the express bus passengers having a seat.

31 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Question, how does the "transfer to BxM18 during rush hours" work? Let's say I'm taking the BxM4 and want to go to Worth St.

It works just like a local bus. The transfer point is both pickup and drop off so you can just walk off the BxM4 and wait for the BxM18. It's similar in the PM as well.

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Question, how does the "transfer to BxM18 during rush hours" work? Let's say I'm taking the BxM4 and want to go to Worth St.

Southbound there are several transfer points.   35th and 5th is and 27th and 5th is drop-off and pick-up. I wouldn't try using any others to transfer, as they are strictly enforced. Same deal Northbound... Madison and 29th, Madison and 44th and Madison and 56th are the drop-off/transfer points.  Depending on the driver he likely will not let you off elsewhere.  No point in even mentioning that you can only transfer with a Metrocard since we have the no-coin policy. However, if you don't have a transfer on your card, you WILL be charged another $6.75 so keep that in mind.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Lots going on in the city today for express buses: BxM buses are detoured down Lexington Avenue between 72nd and 23rd; BM buses will pick up along 57th to Lex, then pick up on Lex until 49th street when they will go back to 5th and resume regular route all due to a POTUS visit.  I'm sure 6th Avenue QMs running across 57th Street will have some delays.  Looks like it'll be 3rd Avenue for me today.

Downtown will be an absolute mess, there are major changes for our folks who don't get off on Water Street.  Downtown QM buses will make corresponding pickups on South Street, and I'm assuming will then U-turn at South Street and get onto the FDR back to Queens.  It is totally possible they will not pick up at State/Battery, Morris, Trinity, Vesey, Park Row, and Frankfort that way this reroute makes it seem, combined with the fact that M55 and BxM18 are starting their runs at Chambers Street today.  This will be starting at 3:30pm and last until the end of service tonight.

SIM1, SIM2, SIM4/4x, SIM32, SIM34,, X27, and X28 are not making any pickups on Broadway after Barclay Street most likely.  It will be turning left onto Park Row from Broadway and taking Frankfort to Water Street, though the reroute details are unclear because the reroute makes it seem like the buses will be going straight onto the FDR South after it turns onto Park Row, yet it also says Buses run via Pearl and Water Street and make corresponding pick ups.  This is supposed to start at 6pm tonight.  This will most likely be a mess of confusion and I would encourage any patrons of these lines to either leave work before 3pm or have alternate plans to get home tonight.  

No BxM18 service between State Street/Greenwich and Chambers/Church.  Pickups will start at Chambers and Church starting at 3:30pm.  No M55 bus running up Greenwich/Trinity/Church on this section either so I doubt Express buses will be making any pick ups here.  

No specific word yet on BM buses downtown, as of right now it only says to expect delays due to a local event in Lower Manhattan (the Wall Street run).

Godspeed everyone. 

Edited by ViaWaterViaChurch
forgot the Downtown BM buses

19 minutes ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

Lots going on in the city today for express buses: BxM buses are detoured down Lexington Avenue between 72nd and 23rd; BM buses will pick up along 57th to Lex, then pick up on Lex until 49th street when they will go back to 5th and resume regular route all due to a POTUS visit.  I'm sure 6th Avenue QMs running across 57th Street will have some delays.  Looks like it'll be 3rd Avenue for me today.

Downtown will be an absolute mess, there are major changes for our folks who don't get off on Water Street.  Downtown QM buses will make corresponding pickups on South Street, and I'm assuming will then U-turn at South Street and get onto the FDR back to Queens.  It is totally possible they will not pick up at State/Battery, Morris, Trinity, Vesey, Park Row, and Frankfort that way this reroute makes it seem, combined with the fact that M55 and BxM18 are starting their runs at Chambers Street today.  This will be starting at 3:30pm and last until the end of service tonight.

SIM1, SIM2, SIM4/4x, SIM32, SIM34,, X27, and X28 are not making any pickups on Broadway after Barclay Street most likely.  It will be turning left onto Park Row from Broadway and taking Frankfort to Water Street, though the reroute details are unclear because the reroute makes it seem like the buses will be going straight onto the FDR South after it turns onto Park Row, yet it also says Buses run via Pearl and Water Street and make corresponding pick ups.  This is supposed to start at 6pm tonight.  This will most likely be a mess of confusion and I would encourage any patrons of these lines to either leave work before 3pm or have alternate plans to get home tonight.  

No BxM18 service between State Street/Greenwich and Chambers/Church.  Pickups will start at Chambers and Church starting at 3:30pm.  No M55 bus running up Greenwich/Trinity/Church on this section either so I doubt Express buses will be making any pick ups here.  

No specific word yet on BM buses downtown, as of right now it only says to expect delays due to a local event in Lower Manhattan (the Wall Street run).

Godspeed everyone. 

Yes we don't have particulars yet, but we were alerted a few days ago about the possibility of these detours.  I agree... Not good...

1 hour ago, 7-express said:

Any word on how long he's staying in town for?  Only saving grace is that he doesn't get to downtown till 6 PM so the early part of the rush should be normal.

Good luck on that. That’s if the NYPD decides to do a 12noon or 3PM shutdown of all streets in the area and bus service will be screwed up until late PM. 

I highly suggest that everyone taking and express bus from Downtown this evening take the subway to Midtown to get on their Midtown counterparts. Even though they're still delays in Midtown it should be much quicker.

2 hours ago, 7-express said:

Any word on how long he's staying in town for?  Only saving grace is that he doesn't get to downtown till 6 PM so the early part of the rush should be normal.

He should be arriving just before rush hour and then out around rush hour tomorrow morning.  You should expect delays in Downtown and Midtown.  Midtown - POTUS, Downtown - AHA HEART WALK. 

Downtown 

DATE(S) OF DIVERSION:Thursday May 16th, 2019

DURATION: 6pm to 7:30pm

-ALL DETOURS WILL BE ON AS NEEDED BASIS, so if they aren't needed, they will NOT happen.  Your best bet is to check the (MTA) website for updates.

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

I highly suggest that everyone taking and express bus from Downtown this evening take the subway to Midtown to get on their Midtown counterparts. Even though they're still delays in Midtown it should be much quicker.

There is saying what traffic will be like tonight in Midtown or Downtown.  There will be rolling freezing zones so again it is best that people check the (MTA) website frequently and try to plan as best as possible.