Express Bus Advocacy Group

Via Garibaldi 8

After a huge outburst by a member and express bus rider regarding some consolidated stops in my group, it appears efforts are being made to rectify the problem. Here is a map shared in my group that I’m putting here in case there’s a problem. Just woke from a nap and had a chat about it with one of my folks:

50703068_10216635323263169_1415630064099

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

When did it start becoming THIS bad? For me I would say it started really going down hill in the summer of 2017 with The Who missing bus saga (the commute has stunk now for several years as traffic has worsened but that’s an aside). On occasion there would be a bus missing, but then I started noticing DAYS where buses would go missing on various lines, morning AND night. That’s when I sprung into action. The commute is long enough. To have no idea if your bus will come or not is just absurd, and it adds to the commute. I got tired of having to scramble. If my bus on Madison didn’t come, I’d have to scramble over to 3rd and “hope” that the BxM1 came, and then they started screwing with that too. It’s like we aren’t supposed to get to and from any more in a reasonable amount of time, and these buses aren’t set up to come every 5-10 minutes. There’s a 20-30 gap between buses, so if there’s no bus, you feel it.

Thinking back, I noticed it in summer 2016 for my QM routes. Though the real bottom was back in 2010 (I think) when they made the huge cuts to buses and subways and stopped trying to fill any runs when a B/O called out

40 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Thinking back, I noticed it in summer 2016 for my QM routes. Though the real bottom was back in 2010 (I think) when they made the huge cuts to buses and subways and stopped trying to fill any runs when a B/O called out

Yeah, the whole not filling trips thing has been going on for years, but I am shocked by how closely my group is being followed now by the MTA. This guy in my group was livid and they are now on it. Was shown the signs put up immediately today...

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

On 1/25/2019 at 5:02 PM, Lil 57 said:

Looked out the window and saw this...

PIC

3 express buses sitting on the ram from the BQE to the LIE towards the city, with their 4-way flashers on. not sure if they were deheading to the city to do a run and broke down, but if that's the case, some trips might not be filled this evening, knowing that (MTA) Bus is notorious for no-shows and not filling in trips.

Edit: One bus moved, leaving 2 buses sitting on the ramp.

Edit #2: Another bus moved but another bus stopped on the ramp. (still 2 buses) Maybe it's a layover spot? (Weird for buses to layover on a highway ramp though.)

Express buses are known to layover on the highway. SI buses do it on the FDR.

As for the QM1 situation you guys should reach out to the the transit reporters for local news agencies. Once it's on the media and people are outraged, the MTA will be forced to do something. PIX11 and NY1 both have decent transit reporters and AMNY loves transit news stories. The QM1 situation is mainly only know by those in the express bus community and that is a minority to the MTA. Once everyone knows and is pissed they are more likely to take action.

Edited by IAlam

31 minutes ago, IAlam said:

Express buses are known to layover on the highway. SI buses do it on the FDR.

As for the QM1 situation you guys should reach out to the the transit reporters for local news agencies. Once it's on the media and people are outraged, the MTA will be forced to do something. PIX11 and NY1 both have decent transit reporters and AMNY loves transit news stories. The QM1 situation is mainly only know by those in the express bus community and that is a minority to the MTA. Once everyone knows and is pissed they are more likely to take action.

As I said and have said numerous times now <_<, the MTA monitors my page and I am in contact daily with people. No need for all of that, as you don’t know what is happening behind the scenes. I hate to sound dismissive, but you have not been privy to e-mails, conference calls and everything else that I have been involved in and others for that matter. I already have media contacts in the group and people I can speak to in the media if need be. Our goal is to work these things out with the MTA, which is why we have meetings and will be discussing the QM1 and numerous other lines, not to mention that we have elected officials in the group and will have one in the upcoming meeting. 

I have several people in the group that I agreed NOT to tag. They are there ONLY to observe. They will NOT post. We speak regularly in private.

1 hour ago, IAlam said:

Express buses are known to layover on the highway

Small sidenote, but they'll also sometimes lay over in the shoulder of the entrance ramp from 21 Street south of the expressway to the Queens midtown tunnel (in that loop underneath the expressway) 

21 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

As I said and have said numerous times now <_<, the MTA monitors my page and I am in contact daily with people. No need for all of that, as you don’t know what is happening behind the scenes. I hate to sound dismissive, but you have not been privy to e-mails, conference calls and everything else that I have been involved in and others for that matter. I already have media contacts in the group and people I can speak to in the media if need be. Our goal is to work these things out with the MTA, which is why we have meetings and will be discussing the QM1 and numerous other lines, not to mention that we have elected officials in the group and will have one in the upcoming meeting. 

I have several people in the group that I agreed NOT to tag. They are there ONLY to observe. They will NOT post. We speak regularly in private.

It’s good the people are watching and listening, but I still haven’t seen the improvement I need to start relying on Express buses again. I’ve been burned too many times by the QM2/20 kicking passengers off at Herald, no shows, and extremely late buses in the past. During my entire winter break I opted for the LIRR because I just couldn’t trust these buses and seeing what happing in lines like the QM1 isn’t helping. Now days I’ve only use express buses for long or leasure journeys where time isn’t an issue. For Queens the quality of service is at an all time low, rude drivers, crappy buses, & piss poor service. I’m sorry for being a bit more furious then normal but for $6.50 it’s really not worth it anymore. I now change takes time but for some of us it’s not coming fast enough. That being said I do appreciate everything you’ve done and continue doing, and thank you for doing it. I might be back in college now but, I’m crossing my fingers that when I come back it might get better. 

Yesterday I went from Sunnyside, Queens to West Brighton and back again. Even with the (7) train not working, I was still impressed with the travel time with the Q60 to the SIM33C and the S53 (1 hour and 45 minutes). Coming back I took the S48 to the SIM3C and when we got on the Expressway The SIM3C had a decent load for the 12:30 PM bus with 25-30 people leaving SI. Meanwhile, the SIM33C which was right behind it had <10 people riding it out of SI. (I got off at the WTC stop and the SIM33C that past had less than 5 people on it). Guess since the SIM3C was first to Richmond Av and the Narrows Road, the SIM33C was "just picking up the scraps".

1 hour ago, IAlam said:

It’s good the people are watching and listening, but I still haven’t seen the improvement I need to start relying on Express buses again. I’ve been burned too many times by the QM2/20 kicking passengers off at Herald, no shows, and extremely late buses in the past. During my entire winter break I opted for the LIRR because I just couldn’t trust these buses and seeing what happing in lines like the QM1 isn’t helping. Now days I’ve only use express buses for long or leasure journeys where time isn’t an issue. For Queens the quality of service is at an all time low, rude drivers, crappy buses, & piss poor service. I’m sorry for being a bit more furious then normal but for $6.50 it’s really not worth it anymore. I now change takes time but for some of us it’s not coming fast enough. That being said I do appreciate everything you’ve done and continue doing, and thank you for doing it. I might be back in college now but, I’m crossing my fingers that when I come back it might get better. 

Passengers being kicked off of the bus at 36th & 6th is something we have fought very hard to stop. To my knowledge the problem has been addressed, but I will inquire again when we discuss the “contingency plan” that was a DISASTER in December. We are calling for double bus lanes on 6th as well as TSP and more traffic mitigation measures to keep 6th open for express buses year round. This measure should then eliminate the need for drivers to kick off passengers at 6th and 36th since they’ll have enough time to do their layover.

8 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Passengers being kicked off of the bus at 36th & 6th is something we have fought very hard to stop. To my knowledge the problem has been addressed, but I will inquire again when we discuss the “contingency plan” that was a DISASTER in December. We are calling for double bus lanes on 6th as well as TSP and more traffic mitigation measures to keep 6th open for express buses year round. This measure should then eliminate the need for drivers to kick off passengers at 6th and 36th since they’ll have enough time to do their layover.

I’ll say one thing in the past a lot of drivers drivers didn’t have need to actually kick off passengers for layover. They would just see 1 or 2 passengers after Hearld and instead of driving them they kick them off, rather than drive them to their destination. One driver made a false excuse telling me at 12pm that he had to go to downtown but I caught him in the layover spot a couple min later. But agin this was 2 years ago the last time I rode my own express bus was maybe more than a year ago.

Edited by IAlam

4 hours ago, IAlam said:

I’ll say one thing in the past a lot of drivers drivers didn’t have need to actually kick off passengers for layover. They would just see 1 or 2 passengers after Hearld and instead of driving them they kick them off, rather than drive them to their destination. One driver made a false excuse telling me at 12pm that he had to go to downtown but I caught him in the layover spot a couple min later. But agin this was 2 years ago the last time I rode my own express bus was maybe more than a year ago.

That's a long time ago.  I can say for a fact that changes were made to limit this behavior, and we've asked passengers to report it in our group if it happens again and I spoke with my contacts about it as well. I have made a point of taking trips up to the last stop repeatedly on various QMs to ensure that it isn't happening and reporting any instances to have a record of it and then bringing those trips up during my meetings with the (MTA).  That's how you stop it.  Passengers are paying for a service, and they should expect to go the last stop if they need to.

I've only had one driver on the QM6 that got cute about it and I read him the riot act, and he was "Yes sir, not a problem sir" up to 57th and 3rd. I was furious. This guy was just a smart @ss all around. I go to board at Union Turnpike and 260th. He comes rolling in, doesn't pull into the curb.  Doesn't kneel the bus. I'm already annoyed. This continued all along Union Turnpike with passengers having to step into the street to hail him down and risk being run over while he drives like a speed demon. After that he proceeded to ask each of us repeatedly where we getting off, then failed to drop passengers off at the stops they requested.  When he started questioning me again, that's when I read him the riot act. I told you him I was pretty clear about which stop I wanted the first two times you asked, and now here you go again getting cute like you don't know what stop I'm requesting.  One driver had the nerve to say that I should thank him for going up to 57th and 3rd.  Absolutely not. You are being PAID to go up to 57th and 3rd, and you get layover time to layover afterwards.  You would think the bus was signed up to terminate at 6th and 36th... <_< 

A few drivers clearly knew that I was spotting them so I had no problems, but I switch it up to ensure that nobody becomes too comfortable. We also have busted a few drivers not doing the pick-up segment and reported that accordingly.  When you have a bus on an hourly schedule and people trying to get home from work that work on weekends or off hours that sort of behavior is unacceptable.

Just now, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Today's QM1 service:

ALL AM trips filled.

PM service:

January 28th:

QM1: 16:00, 3190. 16:30, 3013. 17:00, 2843. 17:30, NO BUS. 18:00, 3050. 18:30, NO BUS. 19:00, NO BUS.

The 5:30 PM bus hasn't shown up since 1/18. Why won't that bus should up?

3 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

The 5:30 PM bus hasn't shown up since 1/18. Why won't that bus should up?

Beats the hell out of me, but I was discussing the upcoming agenda earlier today with my contact (we chatted briefly via conference call) and we're definitely discussing these QM1 trips next meeting. I told my contact to be prepared to have his colleagues explain the QM1, QM5 and QM6 especially and planners/schedulers for the Queens QM lines will be in the meeting along with Road Operations.

On 1/26/2019 at 3:53 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

After a huge outburst by a member and express bus rider regarding some consolidated stops in my group, it appears efforts are being made to rectify the problem. Here is a map shared in my group that I’m putting here in case there’s a problem. Just woke from a nap and had a chat about it with one of my folks:

50703068_10216635323263169_1415630064099

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/BatteryPlace_BusStops_Relocations.htm

Planned Service Changes  

In Effect

ButteryPlace_BusStops.jpg

Bus stop consolidations along Battery Place

To alleviate congestion in the area of the Hugh L. Carey Tunnel and speed up your evening commute, we're consolidating bus stops along Battery Place.

• The BM1/BM2/BM3/BM4 bus stop at Battery Place and West St has been permanently discontinued. 
   Please use the nearby stop located at State St and Battery Place.

• M20 buses will no longer stop at Battery Place and Washington St. 
   Please use nearby stops located at Battery Place and West St or State St and Bridge St instead.

• The X27/X28 bus stop on Battery Place and Washington St has been relocated to 
   Battery Place between Greenwich St and Washington St.

1 minute ago, Union Tpke said:

Planned Service Changes  

In Effect

To alleviate congestion in the area of the Hugh L. Carey Tunnel and speed up your evening commute, we're consolidating bus stops along Battery Place.

• The BM1/BM2/BM3/BM4 bus stop at Battery Place and West St has been permanently discontinued. 

Please use nearby stops located at Battery Place and West St or State St and Bridge St instead.

Yeah Councilman Justin Brannan posted that in the group a little while ago.  Still problems with drivers not knowing about the new stop... My contacts are flipping out... lol

1 hour ago, Union Tpke said:

Planned Service Changes  

In Effect

Impressive. @Via Garibaldi 8 Your group is actually making a difference. Filled in trips that went missing and fixing bus stops? Looks a lot better compared to months ago. 

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Today's QM1 service:

ALL AM trips filled.

PM service:

January 28th:

QM1: 16:00, 3190. 16:30, 3013. 17:00, 2843. 17:30, NO BUS. 18:00, 3050. 18:30, NO BUS. 19:00, NO BUS.

I can confirm there was no ghost bus at 19:00. Had to zip over to the last QM35 of the night instead--at least I got a seat this time and wasn't sitting on the floor... 

1 hour ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Impressive. @Via Garibaldi 8 Your group is actually making a difference. Filled in trips that went missing and fixing bus stops? Looks a lot better compared to months ago. 

Well I’ve been a catalyst more than anything. For example, the SIM11 was created as a result of two express bus riders speaking before the MTA Board, but they felt comfortable doing so after I went and spoke first about how poor service had been Citywide. They said they were nervous at first, but it felt good afterwards.

As for me, yes I can say that I have had a hand in some improvements. The Riverdale express buses have finally started running with some level of consistency. All trips are being filled, and I pushed hard to have buses leaving the terminal per the schedule, which the MTA has been doing generally speaking. In other words, if the buses are there, they’ve been leaving. Less sitting around at the terminal. The Bronx is in the best shape overall. A few problems here and there, but MUCH better than before. Brooklyn is still a work in progress, but the BMs are definitely better than before in terms of trips being filled, and some are actually finishing on-time. Queens and Staten Island remains the biggest challenge, and we’re going to press hard to get it where is should be. Some lines have improved substantially such as the QM2. The main issue right now is the QM1, and dealing with severely late buses along Union Turnpike. I think @QM1to6Ave can confirm that we have far fewer buses skipping parts of the route. That was a big problem before.  For what it’s worth, the only issue with the QM1 is evening service. They have been filling the AM trips now regularly.

I have some ideas to improve service further and we’ll be meeting with the DOT to look at a number of trouble spots. Taking trips has allowed me to identify the major problems and make recommendations which should make a big difference. I speak with a few folks regularly about some lines and slowly service is improving, but there needs to be consistency. For example, the X27, 28, 37 and 38 still suffer from overcrowding in the morning, but there is ongoing exchange of feedback and discussion, so it’s good. I’ve achieved my goal which was get enough people to bitch about service enough to force the MTA to keep meeting with me to fix the issues, and that’s what we’re doing.