Express Bus Advocacy Group

Via Garibaldi 8

7 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I’m out on 6th now and can confirm that it was not a ghost bus. I’m waiting to see if the last two come.

The 6:30 PM bus came. Since I started recording data on 1/17, the 6:30 seems to only come on Fridays.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I left the office very early today, and even at 3 pm the buses were slow and delayed. At least the morning trips into the city have been quick since the holidays ended. 

And there’s no excuse for this. Can’t use traffic. There’s no traffic in the City right now. I was off today. I took a trip this morning and it was not terrible. Some traffic, but nothing crazy, but now there’s really nothing at least in Manhattan. I want to see if that 7pm trip comes. The 6:30pm came as it should since it was a 4pm trip earlier.

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

The 6:30 PM bus came. Since I started recording data on 1/17, the 6:30 seems to only come on Fridays.

I was talking with a B/O I know on the way down to the City about my advocacy group and why I started it. He said sometimes they don’t even have a bus for him or they don’t have enough drivers to make service. I told him yeah I know and it has to stop. They’re cutting everything. Cut back on maintenance, don’t fill buses when the drivers are out, etc.

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

When they report those year-long ridership numbers broken down by bus line, they should also include a percentage of runs that actually occurred. That would really put those ridership numbers into perspective. 

What’s scary is they are allowed to fudge their numbers. A bus may be severely late but still counted as on-time. Crock of BS...

Updated: 02/01/2019

There will be new changes to the SIM network effective Monday, February 4, 2019

SIM1C: One additional Manhattan-bound trip at 8:52 AM and one Staten Staten Island-bound at 10:43 AM.

SIM10: One additional Staten Island-bound trip at 6:29 PM.

https://new.mta.info/SIM-Bus-Network-Redesign

7 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

Updated: 02/01/2019

There will be new changes to the SIM network effective Monday, February 4, 2019

SIM1C: One additional Manhattan-bound trip at 8:52 AM and one Staten Staten Island-bound at 10:43 AM.

SIM10: One additional Staten Island-bound trip at 6:29 PM.

https://new.mta.info/SIM-Bus-Network-Redesign

Thanks. I shared this with the group yesterday.

Other updates:

-We have a date in February now for the next meeting with the (MTA) and the DOT.

The updated agenda covers the following:

DOT/MTA collaboration projects:

-Request for double bus lanes on 6th Avenue with enforcement. Where they would start is the question. They can certainly run from 34th to 59th, but we’ll discuss this further in the meeting. Consider no right turns on 5th Avenue as a oilot during rush hours or at a minimum more enforcement. Request to complete double bus lanes on Madison Avenue during non rush hour periods, so as to minimize the impact on express bus commuters.

-Transit Signal Priority for numerous corridors or key intersections (6th and 34th, 6th and 57th, 5th, Madison, 23rd and Broadway, Ocean Avenue, Nostrand Avenue, Hyman Blvd, Queens Blvd, Woodhaven/Cross Bay Blvd., Northern Blvd, etc.)

-Request for HOV lanes as well as extending the operation of the current ones (Gowanus - elected officials are already working on this one, but we’re bringing it up to put more attention on it as it needs to happen once the City DOT takes over from the State DOT, Bruckner, Cross Bronx, Major Deegan, Horace Harding Exp, etc.)

-More Bus shelters and countdown clocks. We would like to see an expansion in both Manhattan and the outer boroughs. Countdown clocks will be more complicated as that is usually funded by elected officials,  but the DOT can work on the bus shelters. Where old bus stop signage exists especially in Queens, we would like to see more updated lollipop signs.

-Change the timetables to show the arrival of each bus along the X27,37, 28, 38 lines

MTA segment:

-Revisting OTP (on-time performance) and discussing how the MTA plans on making service going forward and addressing the large number of missing scheduled trips in both Queens and Staten Island.

-Request to adjust run times for all QM lines so that they are realistic. Too many buses running 20-40 minutes late both to and from Manhattan and often times during off-peak hours when service is limited and there’s no traffic to speak of. 

-Additional discussion of X27, 37, 28, 38 service. Solutions to address ongoing overcrowding. Request for later weekend service on the X27 and X28 to Brooklyn.

-Request for additional BxM10 trips to Morris Park/Williamsbridge (21:45 and 22:45 respectively) during the week.

-Restoration of the QM2 00:00 to Bay Terrace during the week.

-Request to study expansion of QM15 to Sundays and express bus service to Rockaways.

-Discussion about Staten Island restorations (X14, X18), as well as SIM2 off-peak restoration (some service MUST be restored).

There is more, but these are the key things that will be discussed. With those proposals, all express bus riders would see service improvements, either faster service and/or more service. And yes, BusTime and Wi-Fi WILL be discussed. Too many complaints about this in my group. DAILY problem.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

We’re also happy to announce that we have just about every express bus line represented in the group (yes, including lines like the QM3). Our focus will now be on building the lines that have little representation and setting up meetings to meet with very vocal groups such QM6 express bus riders from the North Shore Towers. This will be strategically planned. We’re well aware of where the most vocal riders are and we’re going to be ready to fight like hell when the (MTA) finally releases their plan to try to come and cut express bus service around the City.

Do you think some of those off peak QM5/6 buses run so late back toward Queens because they never redid the runtimes when they permanently moved the route from via Van Damn via LIE to via Queens Blvd a couple of years ago?

While it might be slightly faster or more or less the same time to run these buses via Queens Blvd during the PM rush, it's definitely faster off peak to take the LIE.

32 minutes ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

Do you think some of those off peak QM5/6 buses run so late back toward Queens because they never redid the runtimes when they permanently moved the route from via Van Damn via LIE to via Queens Blvd a couple of years ago?

While it might be slightly faster or more or less the same time to run these buses via Queens Blvd during the PM rush, it's definitely faster off peak to take the LIE.

They don’t have enough runtime to go from 57th and 3rd to Main and Union Turnpike that’s for sure, so the drivers need more time and changes are needed along that corridor to get buses sped up.

10 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Thanks. I shared this with the group yesterday.

Other updates:

-We have a date in February now for the next meeting with the (MTA) and the DOT.

The updated agenda covers the following:

DOT/MTA collaboration projects:

-Request for double bus lanes on 6th Avenue with enforcement. Where they would start is the question. They can certainly run from 34th to 59th, but we’ll discuss this further in the meeting. Consider no right turns on 5th Avenue as a oilot during rush hours or at a minimum more enforcement. Request to complete double bus lanes on Madison Avenue during non rush hour periods, so as to minimize the impact on express bus commuters.

-Transit Signal Priority for numerous corridors or key intersections (6th and 34th, 6th and 57th, 5th, Madison, 23rd and Broadway, Ocean Avenue, Nostrand Avenue, Hyman Blvd, Queens Blvd, Woodhaven/Cross Bay Blvd., Northern Blvd, etc.)

-Request for HOV lanes as well as extending the operation of the current ones (Gowanus - elected officials are already working on this one, but we’re bringing it up to put more attention on it as it needs to happen once the City DOT takes over from the State DOT, Bruckner, Cross Bronx, Major Deegan, Horace Harding Exp, etc.)

-More Bus shelters and countdown clocks. We would like to see an expansion in both Manhattan and the outer boroughs. Countdown clocks will be more complicated as that is usually funded by elected officials,  but the DOT can work on the bus shelters. Where old bus stop signage exists especially in Queens, we would like to see more updated lollipop signs.

-Change the timetables to show the arrival of each bus along the X27,37, 28, 38 lines

MTA segment:

-Revisting OTP (on-time performance) and discussing how the MTA plans on making service going forward and addressing the large number of missing scheduled trips in both Queens and Staten Island.

-Request to adjust run times for all QM lines so that they are realistic. Too many buses running 20-40 minutes late both to and from Manhattan and often times during off-peak hours when service is limited and there’s no traffic to speak of. 

-Additional discussion of X27, 37, 28, 38 service. Solutions to address ongoing overcrowding. Request for later weekend service on the X27 and X28 to Brooklyn.

-Request for additional BxM10 trips to Morris Park/Williamsbridge (21:45 and 22:45 respectively) during the week.

-Restoration of the QM2 00:00 to Bay Terrace during the week.

-Request to study expansion of QM15 to Sundays and express bus service to Rockaways.

-Discussion about Staten Island restorations (X14, X18), as well as SIM2 off-peak restoration (some service MUST be restored).

There is more, but these are the key things that will be discussed. With those proposals, all express bus riders would see service improvements, either faster service and/or more service. And yes, BusTime and Wi-Fi WILL be discussed. Too many complaints about this in my group. DAILY problem.

I imagine the QM1 issues will come up during the rest of the "fun" QM runtime discussions LOL

13 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I imagine the QM1 issues will come up during the rest of the "fun" QM runtime discussions LOL

Oh yes. I get angry just getting about it. I did some yelling at the last meeting when we went at it about on-time performance and how we were being unrealistic in expecting buses to be on-time. I told them absolutely not! They have BusTrek to see every bus in real time, so they have no excuse. The room went silent. LOL 

I have to say... I started off citing the 2015 audit, and God thinking back on what I said... So here I am... So you were audited for service back in 2015. Uh, your on-time performance is abysmal. LOL I mean I was like a bull dog. Then I started citing specific trips and how they were all 20-40 minutes late. 

11 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

QM1 update: 2/4 first day in 2 weeks that every bus came. Hopefully this keeps up. Every bus schedule should show up every day, not every 2 weeks.

Yeah but they played a little trick to fill all of the trips.  The 4:00pm basically flew up 6 Avenue so early that no one got it, so after doing the pick-up dry, he went back down to 6th and 36th or transferred those passengers to another bus and then did the 5:30pm. 

February 4th:

QM1: 16:00, 3125. 16:30, 3194. 17:00, 2209. 17:30, 3125*. 18:00, 2852. 18:30, 3126. 19:00, 3194.

*Not a typo.

---

Other news... Tonight was a WILD NIGHT in the group. A passenger reported that a man was busted masturbating on the SIM4C.  I saw the video as well... Crazy... The female he was targeting recorded it and told everyone on the bus. The driver took the bus out of service. Everyone got off except the man. The police were called. No idea if he was arrested.

Other wild stories in the group posted tonight. VERY active... Almost at 900 members now...

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah but they played a little trick to fill all of the trips.  The 4:00pm basically flew up 6 Avenue so early that no one got it, so after doing the pick-up dry, he went back down to 6th and 36th or transferred those passengers to another bus and then did the 5:30pm. 

February 4th:

QM1: 16:00, 3125. 16:30, 3194. 17:00, 2209. 17:30, 3125*. 18:00, 2852. 18:30, 3126. 19:00, 3194.

*Not a typo.

---

Other news... Tonight was a WILD NIGHT in the group. A passenger reported that a man was busted masturbating on the SIM4C.   The female he was targeting recorded it and told everyone on the bus. The driver took the bus out of service. Everyone got off except the man. The police were called. No idea if he was arrested.

Other wild stories in the group posted tonight. VERY active... Almost at 900 members now...

Isn't the 4 PM supposed to do the 6:30 PM? Why didn't they get the guy that did the 6:30 PM do the 5:30 PM?

5 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Isn't the 4 PM supposed to do the 6:30 PM? Why didn't they get the guy that did the 6:30 PM do the 5:30 PM?

I'm not sure, but the 4pm guy basically drove up 6th like a speed demon and likely on purpose so he wouldn't pick up anybody. Then he could come back 6th and 36th and do the 5:30pm trip. Now on their end, it looks like they filled all of the trips, which is true.

Just now, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I'm not sure, but the 4pm guy basically drove up 6th like a speed demon and likely on purpose so he wouldn't pick up anybody. Then he could come back 6th and 36th and do the 5:30pm trip. Now on their end, it looks like they filled all of the trips, which is true.

All bus trips need to be filled but also on time. Trips running excessively hot is not reliable service.

12 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

All bus trips need to be filled but also on time. Trips running excessively hot is not reliable service.

This was a let me cover my @ss move because this is the first time in two weeks that the 5:30pm has come and this is how they fill the trip. I was talking with a BxM2 driver coming down on Friday night to check service and he was telling me how his bus was put into service because they need to fill service. His bus had a broken farebox, and I had taken his bus earlier with another driver going home to have lunch, and was surprised to get that same bus again going to Manhattan later on, but they were desperate to make service.

Basically they are feeling the heat because I've been contacting elected officials, showing them how many trips aren't being filled for days, then showing them the letters that other elected officials are writing calling for an audit, and given how many trips are going missing, I'm willing to bet that another audit would show that service is even WORSE than back in 2015.  They're lucky if they're breaking 50% when it comes to on-time performance, then you have all of the trips that go unfilled. My bus this morning was a no-show.  There were some days on weekends when I took trips to monitor service at times where the (MTA) should've made all of the trips on-time, but I would reach the stop I chose to get off at on-time for maybe one out of four trips, and these are trips that should be on-time, like a QM6 at Sunday morning a 09:30 to Lake Success. No traffic then, but the driver would still be 20-40 minutes late finishing OR better yet no bus at all and the line I would chose ran hourly service only.  

So whatever dispatcher is doing the QM1/5/6 must be playing games, as VG8 mentioned. Im on bus 3061 now, signed as QM5. I got on at the last stop at 7:45, but the B/O got called on the radio to repeat the loop...so we are now back at 36 and 6?!

I have no idea what run this was/is supposed to he

This is ridiculous for those of us on the bus and are now taking a joy ride around manhattan??

Edited by QM1to6Ave

Just now, QM1to6Ave said:

So whatever dispatcher is doing the QM1/5/6 must be playing games all day,  like VG8 mentioned. Im on bus 3061 now, signed as QM5. I got on at the last stop at 7:45, but the B/O got called on the radio to repeat the loop...so we are now back at 36 and 6?!

This is ridiculous for those of us on the bus and are now taking a joy ride around manhattan??

5 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

So whatever dispatcher is doing the QM1/5/6 must be playing games, as VG8 mentioned. Im on bus 3061 now, signed as QM5. I got on at the last stop at 7:45, but the B/O got called on the radio to repeat the loop...so we are now back at 36 and 6?!

Total inconvenience for riders that now have another 20+ minutes added to their trip. Now that bus is going to be SRO. With a bunch of angry passengers. There should be a few extra buses at 36th and 6th to fill in any trips that need to be filled.