Express Bus Advocacy Group

Via Garibaldi 8

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

He mentioned the Bruckner as the termination point of I-87. The area in question is between I-278 (Bruckner Expressway)  and I-95 (Cross-Bronx Expressway).

That being said, it was a simple typo transposing the two numbers (278 vs. 287). I'm pretty sure he knows that I-278 is the Bruckner Expressway (and also the BQE, Gowanus Expressway, and Staten Island Expressway).

You weren't at the meeting to know what was discussed and I don't need you to break it down to me.  I met with my Assemblyman to discuss the Deegan, specifically the feasibility of an HOV lane.  We didn't discuss "the area in question", which is why I said that I don't know why he stated what he did, not because I don't understand what he's saying.  I'm going to ask you to stop tagging me. I'm not interested in speaking with you. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Turns out there’s a detour for the S/B BxM1 that I wasn’t aware of which is why the tracker wasn’t picking up.

How long is this detour suppose to last, and shouldn’t bustime be able to still let you see the bus off-route, just not provide ETA?

Usually if it's "until further notice", the amount/length of time of whatever work they're doing is usually far out from whenever they put the notice, but not exactly known, although don't expect it to be resolved anytime soon. It could be anywhere from a few weeks, to months, or in the case of the Q47 (when it was detoured via Grand Avenue), years. 

Also, bustime does not let you see buses off route. It would be nice to know, but the way they have it programmed, you cannot. Perhaps that is something that should be looked into. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

5 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Lot of tension in this thread…

Anyway, what’s with the GPS dead spots in riverdale near the terminal? Sometimes I wait for a BxM1 that says the next one is coming in 46 minutes and all of a sudden one pops up at Kappock & Knolls?

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Turns out there’s a detour for the S/B BxM1 that I wasn’t aware of which is why the tracker wasn’t picking up.

How long is this detour suppose to last, and shouldn’t bustime be able to still let you see the bus off-route, just not provide ETA?

The detour is in place long-term.  I didn't post it here since I didn't think it was relevant, but it is posted in the group.  There was a meeting about it a few weeks ago with my community board.  It's a State DOT project to repair the retaining walls along Henry Hudson Parkway West from roughly W 235th St to W 231st St. NYSDOT estimates that it will be done sometime in Fall of 2024. This will not impact the other side of the parkway. Photos below are mine. The detour is after W 239th St until Kappock and Independence. Buses will not track until the bus turns on Kappock, which is part of the regular route.

328499830_853662625707592_40661530609217

328516794_578168857208777_14595116495938

57 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Usually if it's "until further notice", the amount/length of time of whatever work they're doing is usually far out from whenever they put the notice, but not exactly known, although don't expect it to be resolved anytime soon. It could be anywhere from a few weeks, to months, or in the case of the Q47 (when it was detoured via Grand Avenue), years. 

Also, bustime does not let you see buses off route. It would be nice to know, but the way they have it programmed, you cannot. Perhaps that is something that should be looked into. 

Yeah this one will be until next year. The retaining walls are starting to lean and they need to be fixed.  As for your other comment, I can inquire.  BusTime is starting to become old enough now that apparently certainly upgrades are not available.  For example, they cannot link maps of detours even when the say "See Link" in the BusTime alerts on BusTime.

What I can tell you is one reason for that is programming. From previous discussions I've had with the (MTA) about buses not tracking or having service run that was trackable, the tracking is tied to the actual bus schedules, which are loaded into BusTime, so for example, a few years ago, when the (MTA) agreed to run an earlier BxM9, they told me it would run, but not be trackable since it wasn't part of the actual schedule at that time.  It technically was just the regular 4:45am trip, but since it wasn't loaded into BusTime, it couldn't track. This was during the pandemic, and I forget what the circumstances were as to why they weren't running that trip regularly at the time.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

22 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Correction.... I made a typo... I meant to write that I've seen the Bruckner referred to as I-287 on a number of occasions. Not sure why that is.

https://urbanedge.propertycapsule.com/web/property/68a63fb317c5f1a0e54f730b2898d9f2-a0f4d791b871b46d933954e204bffcc5#overview

It’s easy to mix them up. I made a post recently where I referred to the Bruckner as I-287 while I was pre-occupied, and when I noticed, it was too late to edit the post.

1 hour ago, N6 Limited said:

It’s easy to mix them up. I made a post recently where I referred to the Bruckner as I-287 while I was pre-occupied, and when I noticed, it was too late to edit the post.

To be honest with you, I ignored the last part of the letter when they initially e-mailed me with it (of course I read it, but didn't really zero in) because in my mind I wanted an HOV lane first and foremost and we actually argued about it in the Assemblyman's office.  That letter more than anything was a way of placating me.  He also wrote another letter supporting my request calling for an audit to be performed on express bus service back then, something we also discussed.  Back then I had been in direct communication with Comptroller Scott Stringer's office (they finally did perform another express bus audit on my behalf recently before he left office).

49897549_10215622992780335_2087533077143

We didn't discuss where an HOV lane would even start or end because some sections are too narrow, so once it became clear that an HOV lane likely wasn't possible (and I was not happy about it either because back then sometimes we'd crawl 30 minutes on the Deegan for a section that should take ten), that's when he said he would ask DOT to perform a study on how to improve the flow, but that was at the end of the meeting, and even then we did not discuss the Bruckner or the Cross Bronx. Most of the congestion/back-up comes from the GWB, which the latest construction on the Deegan should address.

This (an HOV lane on the Deegan) is something I have pushed for off and on over the years, even writing to then Cuomo's office, who claimed that congestion along the Deegan was not as issue, which is absurd. I have never given much thought to where one would start and end, but obviously something that covers the BxM1, BXM2, BxM3 & BxM18 lines, which don't use the Deegan to the City border.  All I can say is that I hope the current work is done sooner rather than later because they have been working on the Deegan since before the pandemic. It seems to be never ending.

@Lawrence St I realize I didn't give background originally when I answered your question about an HOV lane, but this is the gist of everything.

@Via Garibaldi 8 here we go again...I'll be PM'ing you the details, but I once again had a QM35 B/O this morning who blocked the front row with his belongings. The bus was packed, with people in every row. I start to sit in the front row, and the B/O says "you can't sit there. I don't want nobody sitting there." I then told him that is a violation of MTA rules and the ADA, but he again said "I don't want nobody sitting there. Go sit in the back." So, I took photos of the blocked seat and the B/O, and filed a complaint with the photos attached. I'll send you the details. It's a Prevost so they can also pull the video camera footage and the passenger counter information.

The balls on these guys is unbelievable. The MTA is just about to lose me as a daily EXP bus customer at this point, not that they care at all.

2 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

@Via Garibaldi 8 here we go again...I'll be PM'ing you the details, but I once again had a QM35 B/O this morning who blocked the front row with his belongings. The bus was packed, with people in every row. I start to sit in the front row, and the B/O says "you can't sit there. I don't want nobody sitting there." I then told him that is a violation of MTA rules and the ADA, but he again said "I don't want nobody sitting there. Go sit in the back." So, I took photos of the blocked seat and the B/O, and filed a complaint with the photos attached. I'll send you the details. It's a Prevost so they can also pull the video camera footage and the passenger counter information.

The balls on these guys is unbelievable. The MTA is just about to lose me as a daily EXP bus customer at this point, not that they care at all.

Thank you for speaking up. The problem has improved, but College Point continues to be an issue and since it is a larger express depot, more drivers out there than other depots. I will send yours over.

3 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

The x27/28 pattern is confusing on weekends. Last Saturday I was waiting for an X37 to Midtown not realizing both of them are combined into the x27 on weekends. Why don’t they renumber the weekend x27 as the x27c since it’s a combination route?

They are two different branches. X37 is Midtown only and only during rush hours on weekdays in the peak direction. The X27 is actually several branches... The X27 lets call it "C" for combo does the Downtown and Midtown, the X27 "A" Downtown and the X27 "B" up to 23rd St. This will be addressed in the redesign. BM7 (Downtown), BM7C (Downtown & Midtown) and BM37 (Midtown only).

44 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Thank you for speaking up. The problem has improved, but College Point continues to be an issue and since it is a larger express depot, more drivers out there than other depots. I will send yours over.

I am so fed up with these CP guys that I have no problem speaking my mind. I know that he will figure out that I'm the one who complained, so I wouldn't be shocked if he tries to skip me next time I'm waiting for his bus, but this insanity can't go on. I was honestly shocked that he wouldn't move his stuff even after I told him I know they were told to stop blocking the seats, but it is what it is. I wasn't going to get into a screaming match with this guy, I just said to myself "ok, he won't listen to logic, so I'm gonna get his a** written up"

All these B/Os being paranoid about having ppl sit in the front row also makes me wonder what they are doing up there that they want to hide (using their phones, closing their eyes, etc). I once had a B/O making a call on his cell on speakerphone, which was unbelievable. He was one of the real senior guys who probably has union protection

Edited by QM1to6Ave

11 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I am so fed up with these CP guys that I have no problem speaking my mind. I know that he will figure out that I'm the one who complained, so I wouldn't be shocked if he tries to skip me next time I'm waiting for his bus, but this insanity can't go on. I was honestly shocked that he wouldn't move his stuff even after I told him I know they were told to stop blocking the seats, but it is what it is. I wasn't going to get into a screaming match with this guy, I just said to myself "ok, he won't listen to logic, so I'm gonna get his a** written up"

It's out of control. I had a driver confront me the other day while I was waiting for the bus.  He pulls up at the stop and opens the door where I'm standing and starts asking which bus I take I guess to see if it matched up, then said that I said he had an attitude problem (which is true).  I honestly didn't remember since so many of them do these days.  I said very non-chalantly... Oh ok and just crossed my arms as I was waiting for my bus. In other words, if I said it, then that's what it is and I wasn't getting into about it with him either.  If he would've stepped off of the bus and confronted me, then we would've had a problem, but he stayed on and moved on.  There are only a handful of drivers that I bother to speak to anymore that I've known that are cool and professional over the years, otherwise I don't bother.  

These guys don't get it... If there are no passengers, service is cut.  Too many guys driving by stops, changing signs to NOT IN SERVICE, while in service, etc. to avoid picking up passengers and blocking off seats.  On some buses, people have had to stand and they haven't been thrilled about it either when there are seats open, but the driver refuses to let people sit in them.  

6 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

The ones blocking seats don't wear masks, so I find it hard to believe covid is the issue for these guys, especially since I always wear a KN95 mask on the bus

Yeah that's not it. They're just using the situation to block off seats because they don't want people near then, but not because of COVID.

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah that's not it. They're just using the situation to block off seats because they don't want people near then, but not because of COVID.

Honestly if that was the case they should just do local ops since passengers usually don't stand near the front. But these drivers take express runs knowing they're not busy and then do everything in their power to avoid picking up passengers. They just wanna drive to the end as fast as possible with no one bothering them not realizing that they're the reason people stopped taking the bus. I genuinely believe the biggest factor impacting poor ridership on queens express buses is how CP manages their bus ops. Nowadays I would rather walk to Penn than take the express bus even if it's right there. But that applies to all CP lines I'd rather take the X68 and take the long way back over routes like the QM2/4 or the Q17 over the Q25 because I'm sick of it. 

2 hours ago, IAlam said:

Honestly if that was the case they should just do local ops since passengers usually don't stand near the front. But these drivers take express runs knowing they're not busy and then do everything in their power to avoid picking up passengers. They just wanna drive to the end as fast as possible with no one bothering them not realizing that they're the reason people stopped taking the bus. I genuinely believe the biggest factor impacting poor ridership on queens express buses is how CP manages their bus ops. Nowadays I would rather walk to Penn than take the express bus even if it's right there. But that applies to all CP lines I'd rather take the X68 and take the long way back over routes like the QM2/4 or the Q17 over the Q25 because I'm sick of it. 

I had a union rep. from that depot in my group. Had to give him the boot. Arrogant and rude.  Said that most of the customers' complaints were "BS".  That should tell you all you want to know.  Since they have a lot of routes, they don't think they need to do anything to ensure that riders are provided good service.  

3 hours ago, IAlam said:

100% accurate. I too take the X63/4/8 when possible because the customer service.level is night and day compared to CP. Plus those QV buses are in the best condition

On 2/2/2023 at 8:41 PM, IAlam said:

As much as I hate to say it if CP looses most of their express runs because of the redesign it’s on them. I can’t keep defending express buses when I can barely rely on them. I’m definitely at the point where I’m starting to view the LIRR even during peak as a better option. I’m on a bus now probably the first time in months and the op is just dragging his bus on QB stopping early on every red. Luckily I’m not in a hurry today but idk how normal riders put up with this. 

15 hours ago, IAlam said:

As much as I hate to say it if CP looses most of their express runs because of the redesign it’s on them. I can’t keep defending express buses when I can barely rely on them. I’m definitely at the point where I’m starting to view the LIRR even during peak as a better option. I’m on a bus now probably the first time in months and the op is just dragging his bus on QB stopping early on every red. Luckily I’m not in a hurry today but idk how normal riders put up with this. 

Yup, this nonsense is one of the reasons I'm looking into jobs with more remote days, and moving closer to the LIRR. It's just following the money...all this new investment in the LIRR versus the cuts via redesign to the bus system makes it a no-brainer for my long-term planning

16 hours ago, IAlam said:

He has a schedule.  He could get written up by an SLD if he's early.  "There's always an excuse to be late, but never an excuse to be early".

On 2/2/2023 at 3:26 PM, N6 Limited said:

Some are still paranoid about covid.

Nah, they just want privacy!  It's up to the riders to call these operators out by registering complaints via the MTA web site or snail mail because there are no passenger seats allowed to be blocked off by the operators!  Period.  

1 hour ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Nah, they just want privacy!  It's up to the riders to call these operators out by registering complaints via the MTA web site or snail mail because there are no passenger seats allowed to be blocked off by the operators!  Period.  

The problem is most riders either don't realize that, don't care enough to complain, or are scared to speak up. The MTA should really play announcements saying "all seats are now open". For a while in the midst of pandemic, they had played announcements on exp buses saying "every seat except the front row is open". They need an updated version 

2 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

38 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

The problem is most riders either don't realize that, don't care enough to complain, or are scared to speak up. The MTA should really play announcements saying "all seats are now open". For a while in the midst of pandemic, they had played announcements on exp buses saying "every seat except the front row is open". They need an updated version 

The only seats that should still be blocked off are the first front row seats only on each side (right and left) on the new express buses only because the (MTA) has not completed the legroom adjustment yet with all of those buses, as each bus has to be sent back to Prevost and they were delayed getting the equipment needed to fix them with COVID (I'm pretty sure a sizable amount of parts are from China, and China was shut down for quite a while with their whole "zero" COVID stance).  That is something that should be done in the next few months if not sooner, assuming that they've been doing the five or so buses that I was told was getting fixed roughly each day (the total express bus order is over 300 buses if memory serves me correctly).  What's happening now is some bus operators are either bringing their own chains OR having maintenance put chains on express buses that have no seat adjustment issues (all of the old MCIs and old Prevosts (non blue express buses) should have all seats open) OR they bring all of this crap on the bus from their car (water coolers and all of this nonsense that isn't needed, or if it is, should be stored in the overhead bins - taking up three rows for that as I saw earlier on is insane, as that is easily six seats unavailable for use).  Those are fairly easy to identify, as those express buses are not the blue ones.

What is unacceptable is having people paying $6.75 and having to stand when there are seats open, but are being blocked by the bus operators.  I have reported it every time I've seen it and I've seen improvements. College Point is probably the worst of the offenders just because of the sheer amount of bus operators and lines, but people in my group have definitely been posting it or DMing me and it is being reported and we'll continue to do so.  Those seats are supposed to be available for everyone, but especially those who are elderly or have mobility impairments. I was on a BxM2 a few months ago.  Lady gets on with a walker. Driver had one seat blocked with his bag.  Didn't bother to move it, so she had to struggle and find a seat further back.  

There are a few passengers that see nothing wrong with it because they aren't the ones having to stand or aren't disabled, so of course they don't care, but overall, most passengers care and some have said that they would absolutely confront the driver and move their things if they insisted on blocking seats on packed buses.

Not too long ago, they had an undercover on a Staten Island express bus one morning. Driver told the guy he couldn't sit in the first row and the undercover guy made it clear that if he gave him a hard time he'd have a problem, so the driver had the nerve to say that he asked him nicely. LOL Makes no difference... The seats are for sitting in.