Express Bus Advocacy Group

Via Garibaldi 8

19 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

I have heard bad things about local service from that depot as well. Thank you for bringing attention to this.

And right now, it seems as if Ulmer Park Depot is taking the cake when it comes to maintenance problems.  Every day now passengers are telling me that drivers are having to try several buses before they can pull out of the depot because buses scheduled for maintenance are not being maintained, so they are sending the buses back out as is without addressing the problems. What a mess.  

One passenger told me "Oh they’re definitely having issues with maintenance there. I've had the same bus break down twice in one week after the driver admitted he was told the bus was due for service. Today my bus had to shutdown and restart to correct some issue he had with the lift."

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

And right now, it seems as if Ulmer Park Depot is taking the cake when it comes to maintenance problems.  Every day now passengers are telling me that drivers are having to try several buses before they can pull out of the depot because buses scheduled for maintenance are not being maintained, so they are sending the buses back out as is without addressing the problems. What a mess.  

One passenger told me "Oh they’re definitely having issues with maintenance there. I've had the same bus break down twice in one week after the driver admitted he was told the bus was due for service. Today my bus had to shutdown and restart to correct some issue he had with the lift."

I've  noticed a lot of buses with the hydraulic back door broken. So touch tape to open door really means push with all your might to open door. I wonder if anyone even checks this or they are only concerned with maintenance issues involving safety. 

17 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

I've  noticed a lot of buses with the hydraulic back door broken. So touch tape to open door really means push with all your might to open door. I wonder if anyone even checks this or they are only concerned with maintenance issues involving safety. 

I'm seriously starting to think that Ulmer Park doesn't do much of anything. They've always been the pits going back to when I was in junior high school, so this isn't shocking, but at the same time, the fact that they keep sending out buses that are supposed to be fixed and were pulled from service is absurd.  To me this is a managerial problem in that management is not finding ways to address the problem and someone should be held accountable (aka fired). See these two photos?

0489ed03-c14e-4b5d-b8b3-f36ee7f71c88-ori

13d9f71b-6e1b-4e94-bc93-0e4e1f512df5-ori

A perfect example of them sending buses back into service repeatedly that should be pulled from service and fixed.  I was on an X28 over the summer with no AC. Driver felt bad but what could he do? It's not his job to fix the AC. 

After I spoke with my contact this bus pulled, but whether or not it has been fixed yet is anyone's guess. Someone posted on social media (I believe from the depot) that oh that bus will be fixed in a month, as if it was okay to have a bus with no AC constantly on the road during rush hour with no windows. Additionally, these express buses out of Ulmer Park Depot have been seeing constant overcrowding, so just imagine you're on a bus standing packed with NO AC and NO windows.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

18 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Well I used the example of some parents sending their kids to specialized schools and wanting to be able to use student Metrocards on express buses. The lady dealing with the Bronx express bus re-design practically jumped down my throat saying, no for ALL school kids that use the express bus, as if I was somehow prioritizing kids that go to specialized schools. LOL I was simply giving an example, so I clarified that. Anywho, I was told they would look into it because it could be that there are constraints with the Metrocard technology that may or may not allow for it, but given that we'll have a new system soon, it is something for them to look at and consider. A few parents have asked that their kids be able to dip the Metrocard, have the $2.75 noted or deducted from the farebox, and then the kids can pay the difference, so if for example you get three rides, you'd still get them and if you use the express bus, the idea would be that you pay the $3.75 difference for any express bus ride instead of the full $6.50 fare which obviously adds up over the school year and would save parents a nice piece of change. I have no idea what the final answer will be, but we will certainly follow up on it and push for it. It would essentially be a money loss for the (MTA) because they already cover the student Metrocards and eat the expense, so they would also be eating that $2.75 as well.

----

Speaking of discounts, they also balked originally at the request of allowing seniors to get half fare again all day, though at the end they said they would look at it. They stated that the express bus is a premium fare, and they want those that are paying the full fare to have a seat first and foremost, and used me as an example, as I buy a pass or pay full fare as I did this morning to ride. LOL I thought that was funny though trying to play the guilt game, but nevertheless, I'm still going to push for it. We think that seniors pay their fair share in taxes over time and should be able to ride half fare all. My retort was that they too have important places to be such as doctor's appointments in the City, so having that reduced fare will help them, though I suppose they may think that seniors using the express bus have the means to do so and aren't on a fixed income the way other seniors are so they can afford to pay the $6.50 fare.

What did they say in regards to disabled people using the discount during peak hours?

38 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

If seniors get the rush hour discount, disabled people would too as they use the same type of Metrocard.

Even so, disabled people don't pay anyway.  Technically they're supposed to, but I have never saw a disabled person pay on the express bus.  I've even seen multiple people in wheelchairs on one BxM2 bus and neither paid.

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Even so, disabled people don't pay anyway.  Technically they're supposed to, but I have never saw a disabled person pay on the express bus.  I've even seen multiple people in wheelchairs on one BxM2 bus and neither paid.

Oh? Why do I have to pay then :P

I'm curious. Have they installed automatic passenger counters on the express buses? I know they definitely put them on the new local fleet and placed them on older models as well for local service but I heard only 1 express bus got retrofitted with them? Has it expanded? That could be a good way for dispatchers to use in conjunction with BusTrek to provide more accurate and efficient service especially when there are gaps and bunching occurring. But this in no way means I push for stealing service from one line to provide to another...but it prob will in Mta's eyes. LOL

10 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

I'm curious. Have they installed automatic passenger counters on the express buses? I know they definitely put them on the new local fleet and placed them on older models as well for local service but I heard only 1 express bus got retrofitted with them? Has it expanded? That could be a good way for dispatchers to use in conjunction with BusTrek to provide more accurate and efficient service especially when there are gaps and bunching occurring. But this in no way means I push for stealing service from one line to provide to another...but it prob will in Mta's eyes. LOL

It’s in the works. I’m not sure of a timeline yet.

28 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

Most Provosts on SI have them.

8 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

SO theoretically the app where you can see how many open seats are on the bus could be on the horizon soon-ish?

I think buses made in the year 2011 and after will be equipped with them, high-numbered C40LF's, XD40's with the Cuomo scheme and ones outta Stengel have them and prob more, NEW LFSA's

2 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

I think buses made in the year 2011 and after will be equipped with them, high-numbered C40LF's, XD40's with the Cuomo scheme and ones outta Stengel have them and prob more, NEW LFSA's

I get how they are useful for express buses, since they all have 57 or so seats, but on locals, how useful is that data? What's the upper limit on capacity on those local buses? 

Was waiting for the S89 at Hylan/Richmond and I stumbled across this.

Wired SIM9 schedule?

Never knew that the SIM9 only had 8 AM trips.

Who even posted these inaccurate bus schedules at bus stops? It's like they want to deter ridership?

I also saw some SIM1C schedules at the bus stop showing no weekend service.

Edited by Lil 57

24 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Was waiting for the S89 at Hylan/Richmond and I stumbled across this.

Wired SIM9 schedule?

Never knew that the SIM9 only had 8 AM trips.

Who even posted these inaccurate bus schedules at bus stops? It's like they want to deter ridership?

I also saw some SIM1C schedules at the bus stop showing no weekend service.

There are still PLENTY of old express bus stops around as well that have not been taken down going back to August.  Just shows how far behind the DOT is. 

Just now, SIMplicity said:

Right now at 42nd/6th, the line for the express bus is about 50 people long. It doesn’t fit at the stop so it wraps around itself. Nobody really know what’s going on. There have been no SIM30s in over 30 minutes. The next one is 8 minutes away.

There are SIX SIM30s coming now... One just made it past 6th. Two more coming now, and then three coming along 57th street...