Express Bus Advocacy Group

Via Garibaldi 8

On 9/14/2018 at 11:19 PM, SIMplicity said:

One complaint I have is the Central Park South terminus. Buses have to head down CPS, turn left onto 7th, turn left onto 57th, cross 57th two avenues, and turn right onto 5th Ave. That causes extreme reliability issues for the SIM3/6/10/30 (biggest problems are with the SIM6/10). The turns take a long time and 57th St is extremely congested. Buses are always bunching on 57th. I've seen on BusTime for instance three SIM10s along the entirety of 5th Ave and 23rd Street while SIX SIM10s are sitting along 7th Ave and 57th Street. The simple solution (if feasible) would be to move the CPS stop to the other side of the street between 6th and 5th (facing towards 5th). Then those turns wouldn't be necessary, buses would just turn right onto 5th. For the SIM6 maybe it could start at Lexington/57th which would be ideal in terms of improving reliability.

I wanted to check out how the SIM6 is doing on Lex a few days ago. (Answer: not great.) I waited at 41st around 4pm for over 15 minutes. The bus was stuck in traffic on 57th. The driver (extremely nice) said that starting the route and making the turn onto 7th Ave took her a really long time, and crossing 57th five avenues was a nightmare. That bus filled up by 34th Street, leaving behind upwards of 40 passengers from 34th down with no buses nearby (there were two bunched up at 57th and 6th, a long ways back). And it was POURING RAIN.

Question: Are rush-hour bus-only turn signals possible? (For Madison/42nd left turn, and 5th/42nd right turn, both of which get congested.)

Also I'd be happy to help out with the express bus advocacy group in some way.

Bus-only anything is 1000% possible in the city but if every agency continues to drag their feet, then nothing will happen. Last week, there was a meeting held at 2 Bway between MTA, ATU 726, NYCDOT, NYSDOT, NYPD and other agencies. Hopefully something good can come out of this and we can see some real movement.

Making the turn off 59th to 7th isn't the problem, the problem is that none of the lanes of traffic let you get over from the bus stop. Even when the light is red and the traffic stops, they still don't want to let you in. If you want to be nice and wait, that's one thing. A lot of us just go down the left (straight thru) lane and wait for the turn signal to drop and then bully the entire lane to make the turn. This is a problem within itself because now, this move impedes traffic. There used to be a traffic post at this intersection and they used to allow the buses to make the turn from the straight thru lane. Getting caught making this turn without some sort of authorization will get us taken out of service by supervision, which is why it's not done 100% of the time.

57th Street is its own animal that definitely needs to be addressed. @Via Garibaldi 8 would get a kick out of this one. 57th Street has bus lanes the whole way through. Why aren't they being used? Because DOT thinks its a perfectly good idea to let commercial vehicles park there during the off peak hours. So now the buses lost their own lane, and there's non stop construction throughout the whole street, so now it's back to fighting traffic to make lane changes and everyone blocking the box at every other intersection. There are traffic posts on 57th but it's moreso towards rush hour. If the bus lanes were cleared, then the buses can definitely take advantage of TSP, even if it meant that they had to join the regular flow of traffic the next block. You don't need anything special for TSP, just have a Buses Only signal that IS NOT a green-yellow-red light, that is camera enforced.

5th Avenue, all of the near side bus stops (that's before the light) need to be located to far side (across the light), when that street is a right turn. For example, 5th and 35th. Bus stop is on the corner and nobody wants to let you out of the bus stop. You have to push cars either back into the regular lanes or force them to turn onto 34th Street, if you want to get out. This is also one of the streets where they block the box religiously, so you'll have to get out of the bus lane to continue, either which way, which is another fight. Traversing along 5th, you're coming out of the bus lane every other block either because someone is turning from the outside bus lane, cars are blocking the box or people are just going down the bus lanes illegally. Madison Ave has cameras scattered around the lanes, they need to add them to 5th Ave as well and get back to enforcing the bus lanes and stops with the front facing cameras on the buses.

The traffic backup by the HLC tunnel entrance was addressed in the meeting. Shouldn't take 10 mins just to go from Bway to West Street (and again, fighting everyone just to have the clearance to meet the turn) Everyone gets stupid here whenever traffic forms. Again, there used to be a traffic agent posted at Battery & West St.

Long story short, the city can definitely light the fire to some people and make this all work. I've been to Cali and their transit prerogative is way better than NYC. $350 minimum fine for a HOV violation that is photo enforced and people stay out of it. Several initiatives to take public transport, etc. If it can work in Cali, why can't it work here?

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

Bus-only anything is 1000% possible in the city but if every agency continues to drag their feet, then nothing will happen. Last week, there was a meeting held at 2 Bway between MTA, ATU 726, NYCDOT, NYSDOT, NYPD and other agencies. Hopefully something good can come out of this and we can see some real movement.

Making the turn off 59th to 7th isn't the problem, the problem is that none of the lanes of traffic let you get over from the bus stop. Even when the light is red and the traffic stops, they still don't want to let you in. If you want to be nice and wait, that's one thing. A lot of us just go down the left (straight thru) lane and wait for the turn signal to drop and then bully the entire lane to make the turn. This is a problem within itself because now, this move impedes traffic. There used to be a traffic post at this intersection and they used to allow the buses to make the turn from the straight thru lane. Getting caught making this turn without some sort of authorization will get us taken out of service by supervision, which is why it's not done 100% of the time.

57th Street is its own animal that definitely needs to be addressed. @Via Garibaldi 8 would get a kick out of this one. 57th Street has bus lanes the whole way through. Why aren't they being used? Because DOT thinks its a perfectly good idea to let commercial vehicles park there during the off peak hours. So now the buses lost their own lane, and there's non stop construction throughout the whole street, so now it's back to fighting traffic to make lane changes and everyone blocking the box at every other intersection. There are traffic posts on 57th but it's moreso towards rush hour. If the bus lanes were cleared, then the buses can definitely take advantage of TSP, even if it meant that they had to join the regular flow of traffic the next block. You don't need anything special for TSP, just have a Buses Only signal that IS NOT a green-yellow-red light, that is camera enforced.

5th Avenue, all of the near side bus stops (that's before the light) need to be located to far side (across the light), when that street is a right turn. For example, 5th and 35th. Bus stop is on the corner and nobody wants to let you out of the bus stop. You have to push cars either back into the regular lanes or force them to turn onto 34th Street, if you want to get out. This is also one of the streets where they block the box religiously, so you'll have to get out of the bus lane to continue, either which way, which is another fight. Traversing along 5th, you're coming out of the bus lane every other block either because someone is turning from the outside bus lane, cars are blocking the box or people are just going down the bus lanes illegally. Madison Ave has cameras scattered around the lanes, they need to add them to 5th Ave as well and get back to enforcing the bus lanes and stops with the front facing cameras on the buses.

The traffic backup by the HLC tunnel entrance was addressed in the meeting. Shouldn't take 10 mins just to go from Bway to West Street (and again, fighting everyone just to have the clearance to meet the turn) Everyone gets stupid here whenever traffic forms. Again, there used to be a traffic agent posted at Battery & West St.

Long story short, the city can definitely light the fire to some people and make this all work. I've been to Cali and their transit prerogative is way better than NYC. $350 minimum fine for a HOV violation that is photo enforced and people stay out of it. Several initiatives to take public transport, etc. If it can work in Cali, why can't it work here?

It can't happen because we have a commissioner of the DOT in Polly Trottenberg who is more focused on pushing a millionaires' tax to "fight congestion" which may never come to fruition since it requires the governor's approval. I've watched some of the (MTA) Board Meetings and it's infuriating hearing her yapping endlessly about things that she really has no control over. Focus on the things that you DO control. More bus lanes, properly marked bus lanes, working with the (MTA) and NYPD to enforce bus lanes, etc. It seems as if her whole goal is to repeat the Mayor's agenda. Meanwhile she's out riding bikes in the Bronx creating more congestion by narrowing street lanes and putting in bike lanes in areas where the community opposes them. In short she is at fault for a lot of this mess.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

On 9/15/2018 at 2:22 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Not yet.  One thing at a time.  I have a lot on my plate. I have a few people that will be helping me but most of it will be on my shoulders.  These are all things that we have to sort out.  Today I was working on my presentation.  Very difficult to squeeze in several topics in three minutes so I can't spend too much time on one thing.  If anything we'll probably have a social media page before a website.  For a website I need a host and a few other things, which isn't expensive but still costs something, so we'd need a budget of some sort for general expenses.

Quite a project you are pushing here and then going online there is a lot of of stuff to take int account. Some of the topics are found in https://njvtczx.com others you need to see what is important. Server, what kind of website, better to start just with something representational rather than a overly complex site with all kind of widgets. 

Specially when having little time there is no sense in adding more activity to it, so CMS are not an option. There are so many people with plans to add content to their sites, unfortunately most never get along to find the time. Social Media, well not everyone likes to sign up at Facebook or Pinterest where people can actively participate.  

20 minutes ago, Paolp said:

Quite a project you are pushing here and then going online there is a lot of of stuff to take int account. Some of the topics are found in https://njvtczx.com others you need to see what is important. Server, what kind of website, better to start just with something representational rather than a overly complex site with all kind of widgets. 

Specially when having little time there is no sense in adding more activity to it, so CMS are not an option. There are so many people with plans to add content to their sites, unfortunately most never get along to find the time. Social Media, well not everyone likes to sign up at Facebook or Pinterest where people can actively participate.  

Yes, I know. The truth is I thought about starting this years ago with another express bus commuter who is also an activist. We sat down and discussed a lot of this and yes, we know it’s a lot of work. That’s why we didn’t move forward with it then. However, service has worsened. We talk about how crappy our commutes are on a regular basis. Just last Saturday I went to Whitestone with the QM2. The trip in was fine. The trip back was a diasaster. The 12:40 out of Bay Terrace skipped the entire area that it serves on weekends leaving me stuck to wait another hour in the roasting sun. I was furious. Sure I could’ve used other options, but from where I was, it just made sense to wait for the next bus. So why did the driver skip FIVE stops? Because he’s new. The customer service person apologized profusely, but this is something that happens a lot on the QM2 and several other express bus lines that have different routing during parts of the day. I don’t fault the driver. I fault management for not properly training the driver on the route. If you’re going to put out a new driver on a route that has a different routing on weekends, and the bus only runs once an hour, then he should know the route inside out. Mind you, the weekend routing on the QM2 was done on purpose to try to get more ridership in that part of the route, so you have people using those stops and being bypassed. These are the sorts of the things that have to stop. It’s the second time that I’ve been burned like that coming back with bags and having to wait another hour. Last time it happened in the dead of winter and I was stuck waiting in the freezing cold with my bags for the next bus an hour away.

When the (MTA) is cutting express bus service, rarely is there anyone before the board giving them a face to the service that they’re getting rid of, and that’s why we’re just saying the hell with it. Let’s start and we’ll figure things out along the way. What’s important is that the (MTA) hears about express bus riders on a regular basis and not just reads a complaint online that gets passed around and MAYBE the problem is fixed and maybe it isn’t.

Now I basically do a Hail Mary and hope for the best. Even after the QM2, my next bus was MIA, so people were waiting 30 minutes for the next BxM2. Friday night, the bus before mine was almost 30 minutes late. We caught up to him in fact, so those people endured a commute over an hour and 30 minutes for what is supposed to be an hour commute end to end, and this was technically after rush hour.

22 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I understand why they stopped having any express buses go up to that far west. 57th has worsened traffic wise and it adds a ton of time to the trips with relatively few people served, especially in the morning. I actually used to get on often time by 8th and 57th to go home. I can’t recall anyone ever being on those trips that far west. The same is true in the AM. I would get off by Columbus Circle and would usually be the last one off when going that far west. However, we both know that there are people that work that far west based on feedback. It’s difficult. I was on 57th for a bit yesterday in fact. I need to go back again to check out something, but the issue is there are a lot of people that will be up in arms if you start some routes right on 5th say by 58th street or something since they have to travel so far East to reach the bus. Nevertheless, you would at least satisfy those who work in that vicinity of 57th. Was there any feedback from people who work in those areas during the workshops? Another idea is to have some of them run like the X27 and X28 do and have them terminate right by 57th and Madison, but then the question is layover problems. Perhaps the best solution is to restore one stop by 9th Avenue and 42nd. If you have that, those people can get off for the far west side and take the local bus up or down. I did see some people use that stop in the morning on the old X30, but they didn’t have that stop coming home, but they managed I guess to make their way to 8th Avenue coming home since the buses need to make their way to the tunnel.

At the workshops, I recall specifically bringing it up (It wouldn't personally affect me, but I wanted to make sure it was considered, since it seemed like they were trying to pull a fast one in that regard). What annoyed me was he said something like "We don't want people thinking it's OK to take the bus all the way from that far west", but the thing is that if they have to take the M57/31 to catch that same bus anyway, what's the difference? He said it was related to flexibility (some buses had a midday layover at Quill, but others returned back for second trips and whatnot). Cutting them back to Columbus Circle instead of 11th Avenue would be reasonable (but there's barely any space over there)

I'll give a counterpoint on that 42nd & 9th stop: While it definitely did see decent usage, the issue is that there is congestion along 42nd Street (once you come out of the Lincoln Tunnel) that is somewhat avoided by using the left lane. So the buses often turn into the left lane, maneuver around all of those cars making the right turn onto 9th Avenue, and then ease their way back into the right lane to get to the next stop at 8th Avenue (and the good thing about that stop is that at least it's before the light, so you don't have people crossing any extra streets to get back to 9th Avenue). The other thing of course, is that 9th Avenue is one-way (so the M11 might help those headed to 34th Street, but I doubt anybody's going to want to backtrack to 10th Avenue to catch a bus up to 57th Street). If there were bus lanes along 42nd (the bright red ones like on 34th), that would definitely help, but at the same time, it wouldn't completely solve the issue since you can still turn right from a bus lane. 

7 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

At the workshops, I recall specifically bringing it up (It wouldn't personally affect me, but I wanted to make sure it was considered, since it seemed like they were trying to pull a fast one in that regard). What annoyed me was he said something like "We don't want people thinking it's OK to take the bus all the way from that far west", but the thing is that if they have to take the M57/31 to catch that same bus anyway, what's the difference? He said it was related to flexibility (some buses had a midday layover at Quill, but others returned back for second trips and whatnot). Cutting them back to Columbus Circle instead of 11th Avenue would be reasonable (but there's barely any space over there)

I'll give a counterpoint on that 42nd & 9th stop: While it definitely did see decent usage, the issue is that there is congestion along 42nd Street (once you come out of the Lincoln Tunnel) that is somewhat avoided by using the left lane. So the buses often turn into the left lane, maneuver around all of those cars making the right turn onto 9th Avenue, and then ease their way back into the right lane to get to the next stop at 8th Avenue (and the good thing about that stop is that at least it's before the light, so you don't have people crossing any extra streets to get back to 9th Avenue). The other thing of course, is that 9th Avenue is one-way (so the M11 might help those headed to 34th Street, but I doubt anybody's going to want to backtrack to 10th Avenue to catch a bus up to 57th Street). If there were bus lanes along 42nd (the bright red ones like on 34th), that would definitely help, but at the same time, it wouldn't completely solve the issue since you can still turn right from a bus lane. 

Yeah I’m trying to figure out just what exactly I can cover in my speeches to the board. I’m definitely going to one, but am going to try to get to both of them if my work schedule permits. One thing that is becoming more and more common is missing buses, almost every single day now. This morning I waited from 08:00 with no bus. Waisted about twenty minutes. I’m going to start running a log of all of the missing express buses between now and the time I speak before the board because this is ridiculous. Funny enough, two regulars were at the stop with me complaining about the same thing, so either we’re all crazy or the agency just isn’t sending out buses.

On 9/17/2018 at 1:36 AM, checkmatechamp13 said:

My usual SIM25 actually stops at 9th Avenue to drop off. I think it’s just that one driver, I’m not sure if he’s doing it for rider convenience or because he doesn’t realize it’s not a stop. Yet people do get off there, sometimes even more people get off at 9th than at 8th. Those cars turning right do block the lane, but it isn’t too much of a problem because the bus stays in the left lane to pass the cars and then pulls over towards the stop as it crosses the intersection. I think at least some of the routes (I don’t know if the stop can handle all of them) should stop there in the morning.

On 9/17/2018 at 1:36 AM, checkmatechamp13 said:

"We don't want people thinking it's OK to take the bus all the way from that far west", but the thing is that if they have to take the M57/31 to catch that same bus anyway, what's the difference? He said it was related to flexibility (some buses had a midday layover at Quill, but others returned back for second trips and whatnot).

I think it’s also because of reliability. If those 57th Street bus lanes are not enforced, which they’re not, buses will likely crawl across 57th Street, the congestion has gotten worse. A small number of riders may benefit from the service to the West Side but the majority of riders along the line (down 5th and along 42nd or 23rd) will have less reliable service. (I saw this with the SIM6.) Personally I think the buses should avoid 57th Street if possible, start on CPS (or another nearby cross-street) and 6th heading east and turn right on 5th. The current arrangement is unnecessary (is it an issue of layover space on CPS?) since there’s no stop on or near 7th Ave so those turns and going crosstown on 57th doesn’t make that much sense.

Side note, I’m glad they painted the Madison Avenue and Broadway bus lanes red, but without NYPD enforcement it probably isn’t going to make a noticeable difference.

Another side note, even if those curbside 42nd St and 57th St bus lanes were enforced, it seems to me that they’re just too narrow for a bus to fit through comfortably. Even when they’re clear I rarely see a driver try to squeeze through. Even with the bus lanes on Hylan, some drivers go very slowly because it’s so tight.

Hi, I'm a Bronx express bus rider and I have a laundry list of complaints. Not all of my complaints are sorely the MTA's fault. I will say that when it was run by New York Bus Service, the majority of problems we now have did NOT happen.

I live 11 miles from my home to work. On average it takes me about 90 minutes to commute 1 way (during the summer my commute time is cut in half). The traffic is absurd and nothing is done about it. A bus lane or HOV lane on the Bruckner would be ideal. Enforcing the bus lanes along Second Avenue, Fifth Avenue and 125th Street must be done. The police try to enforce the bus lane rules on Madison Avenue but that creates a problem when they pull drivers over...and then block the bus lane.

There are mornings when the bus doesn't show up. I have called the depot (no shame in my game) only to be told to call 511. I don't want to call 511. Where is the effing bus? The next bus isn't for another 17 minutes (this is at 7am, not 9am).

Buses break down and they're dirty, including graffiti.

I understand that drivers don't want to get into confrontations with riders but there has to be some sort of enforcement on the bus. Loud music, loud cell phone conversations, eating - seriously people, the bus isn't your effing kitchen nor is it a diner, that egg sandwich smells like rotten fart, people hogging up numerous seats even when the bus is crowded, people getting on the bus with large packages, baby carriages and luggage as they take up numerous seats which they don't pay for.

Can someone verify the rules of riding the express bus with children? Every morning we have anywhere from 1-4 parents and their children riding the bus. Usually it's just one child, but I have seen some parents board with as many as 4 children. The problem is that they only pay for 1 seat. All the kids get their own seats and I have watched passengers stand while a non-paying child is taking up a seat. I thought the rule said something to the effect of under 2 they ride for free provided they sit on a parents lap. That tells me that over 2 they must pay for the seat. It's a problem, and it's becoming an even bigger problem. It's not fair to those of us who are paying for a seat. I understand that standing is allowed on the bus but no one wants to stand for 90 minutes in a very tight aisle.

The MTA needs to come up with a way to count empty seats. Some drivers used to use a clicker counter. I've had drivers tell me there are no more seats only for me to board anyway (because I saw the empty seats from the sidewalk) and count at least 10 empty seats. Not fair to passengers left waiting for another bus and this is usually after already waiting 20+ minutes.

The evening wait for buses is ridiculous. I realize this is almost entirely due to the never ending traffic issues. But there have been nights I have waited close to 1 hour for a bus to show up and it wasn't due to the weather, UN General and POTUS showing up. Again, bus lane/HOV lane on the Bruckner and along the streets I mentioned above.

And I flat out refuse to ride the subway in the Bronx because I have zero patience with the ghettotards riding the 5.

2 hours ago, WonderBread said:

Hi, I'm a Bronx express bus rider and I have a laundry list of complaints. Not all of my complaints are sorely the MTA's fault. I will say that when it was run by New York Bus Service, the majority of problems we now have did NOT happen.

I live 11 miles from my home to work. On average it takes me about 90 minutes to commute 1 way (during the summer my commute time is cut in half). The traffic is absurd and nothing is done about it. A bus lane or HOV lane on the Bruckner would be ideal. Enforcing the bus lanes along Second Avenue, Fifth Avenue and 125th Street must be done. The police try to enforce the bus lane rules on Madison Avenue but that creates a problem when they pull drivers over...and then block the bus lane.

There are mornings when the bus doesn't show up. I have called the depot (no shame in my game) only to be told to call 511. I don't want to call 511. Where is the effing bus? The next bus isn't for another 17 minutes (this is at 7am, not 9am).

I understand that drivers don't want to get into confrontations with riders but there has to be some sort of enforcement on the bus. Loud music, loud cell phone conversations, eating - seriously people, the bus isn't your effing kitchen nor is it a diner, that egg sandwich smells like rotten fart, people hogging up numerous seats even when the bus is crowded, people getting on the bus with large packages, baby carriages and luggage as they take up numerous seats which they don't pay for.

Can someone verify the rules of riding the express bus with children? Every morning we have anywhere from 1-4 parents and their children riding the bus. Usually it's just one child, but I have seen some parents board with as many as 4 children. The problem is that they only pay for 1 seat. All the kids get their own seats and I have watched passengers stand while a non-paying child is taking up a seat. I thought the rule said something to the effect of under 2 they ride for free provided they sit on a parents lap. That tells me that over 2 they must pay for the seat. It's a problem, and it's becoming an even bigger problem. It's not fair to those of us who are paying for a seat. I understand that standing is allowed on the bus but no one wants to stand for 90 minutes in a very tight aisle.

The MTA needs to come up with a way to count empty seats. Some drivers used to use a clicker counter. I've had drivers tell me there are no more seats only for me to board anyway (because I saw the empty seats from the sidewalk) and count at least 10 empty seats. Not fair to passengers left waiting for another bus and this is usually after already waiting 20+ minutes.

The evening wait for buses is ridiculous. I realize this is almost entirely due to the never ending traffic issues. But there have been nights I have waited close to 1 hour for a bus to show up and it wasn't due to the weather, UN General and POTUS showing up. Again, bus lane/HOV lane on the Bruckner and along the streets I mentioned above.

And I flat out refuse to ride the subway in the Bronx because I have zero patience with the ghettotards riding the 5.

Thank you for your feedback.  I am leading this Express Bus Advocacy Group, and we have been trying to get more feedback specifically from Bronx Express Bus Riders.  Please state the route that you use and the times that you have problems with it.  Ideally we want to get as much feedback as possible to then take these complaints to the (MTA) and also start petitions where necessary to push the agency to improve service.

HOV lanes in the Bronx for our express buses is something that I've contacted Senator Klein's office about numerous times.  I believe he likely represents your area since he covers lines like the BxM8, and BxM9 especially, along with my neighborhood in Riverdale. His office has stated that they have posed such ideas to the (MTA) and it has been shot down. I then approached Governor Cuomo's office about an HOV lane and was shot down again, with a nice letter saying that HOV lanes had been studied, and that the study found that such lanes aren't necessary.  Obviously that is not true given how backed up the Bruckner and the Deegan are on a daily basis.  Just last night, I spent about 30 minutes stuck on the Deegan. However, this is an election year, and Senator Klein's seat is being challenged. We may look to approach Councilman James Vacca on this issue, as he has been on the forefront of improving express bus service for the BxM8 and BxM9.  Both routes have received a LITANY of complaints over the years: missing buses, late buses, etc.  Please get back to me when you can and let others know about our Express Bus Advocacy Group. We can be reached here in this thread or via e-mail:  expressbusadvocacynyc@yahoo.com

-Now on to your other questions/comments.  We aren't going to ignore you like some of the elected officials have.  We won't be able to solve every problem, but we will do our best to improve your commute.  

1.  Missing express buses has been a BIG problem Citywide and we're all noticing it. This year IMO has been by far the WORST ever.  Not a week goes by now where I don't have an express bus simply not come.  I have been in communication with elected officials about this and Mr. Byford. It's something that we feel very strongly about and it's one reason that service has fallen off so much.  We are exploring ways to get answers as to why so many buses are missing and to get the agency to provide the service that they have scheduled, including any legal options.  Simply unacceptable.

2.  Counting seats -  The (MTA) has stated that they will be implementing new technology that will allow passengers to know how many seats (if any) are available before they board, likely via cell phone.  We will be tracking the progress of this because they have a habit of making promises and dragging their feet on implementing them.  

3.  Children taking up seats/people with large packages:  This is a problem on some routes with inconsiderate customers.  We can't promise a remedy to this problem as each driver does their own thing. Some enforce the rules and others don't, but I believe that children taller than 44 inches... Their parents are supposed to pay.

4.  Enforcement of bus lanes... This is a daily problem, and we are well aware of it.  We plan on addressing the (MTA) Board about this, as well as the Commissioner of the Department of Transportation.  We believe that while the agency isn't in charge of traffic, they can certainly work better with the DOT and the NYPD to come up with permanent solutions to keep our bus lanes clear, along with seeking to accelerate traffic signal priority, something that none of our express buses currently have despite promises of it being implemented.

5.  Missing buses in the morning and the night is a big problem. Some trips simply are not being filled.  Refer to point #1 for more information.

I am sharing an excellent article from an express bus rider and lawyer on the fiasco of the so called "successful express bus re-design" out on Staten Island.  This is courtesy of Rosemarie Coppola-Baldwin, Esq.:

By: Rosemarie Coppola-Baldwin, Esq.
Page 1 of 4

I read “A Sit-Down with the MTA: 25 Express Bus Takeaways You Need to Know” (Staten Island Advance, September 19, 2018), and while I appreciate Mr. Bascome’s reporting, I think it’s important for SI commuters and tax-payers to read in between the lines to understand what really happened – and the actual impact of the SI Express Bus redesign.

The Design Was Not Based on Necessary Studies or Analyses

It is more than likely that there were no vehicular movement studies, traffic or engineering studies, or pedestrian safety studies conducted and/or analyzed by the MTA, the DOT, or our elected officials before such sweeping changes were made. According to the article, MTA President Andy Byford said, "We engaged with 3,000 riders of the Staten Island express bus network, with people at the borough president's office, with people in the union, and with various other advocacy groups to start from a blank sheet of paper and figure out what they wanted the express bus network of the future to look like." There is no indication that anything other than an unofficial survey completed by a small percentage of riders was analyzed to overhaul such a complex system in one of the most highly-traveled corridors in the world.

Take the SIM7, for example. In the MTA’s own words: "Early in the process we had it (the SIM7) on Father Capodanno," said [MTA Planner Johnathan] Hawkins. "After public outreach we modified it to move it back to Hylan, and now I think that what's become clear is that we got that a little wrong and it really needs both Hylan and Father Capodanno service." What Mr. Hawkins fails to mention is that the SIM7 actually combines multiple bus routes (as other bus routes were eliminated), and despite the resulting increase in ridership, the SIM7 has had less buses being deployed on that route. Had a traffic impact study and ridership impact study been performed, the changes would likely not have been made to begin with. Riders were severely affected, and only after taking time away from their jobs and families to complain is service now being restored (somewhat) after being drastically cut.

While the MTA and our elected officials want us to believe that traffic conditions are out of our control and play a significant role in the commute, it is axiomatic that a traffic and vehicular impact study would have yielded critical information to assist the MTA and DOT redesign the express bus network in a more effective manner. In reality, the service changes and cuts have exacerbated the existing traffic difficulties.

For example, the article states, “Another major issue regularly impeding the flow of express buses is the blocking of bus lanes by cars, taxis, delivery trucks, tour buses and more.” Had the MTA reviewed these issues before making the service changes and cuts, perhaps all the East side buses would not have been moved to the West side – not just requiring riders to take more time to walk multiple avenues in all kinds of weather – but causing additional traffic backups and gridlock in an already overused corridor.

Page 2 of 4

Now, it seems, the MTA realizes the traffic studies need to be conducted, so according to the
article, “The MTA has since brought on renowned transportation engineer Sam Schwartz, also
known as "Gridlock Sam," to investigate the regularly congested interchange and identify
possible solutions.” Why was this investigation not conducted prior to the changes and service
cuts? And why is the MTA only now working with the DOT? According to the article, “On top of
the enforcement issues, the efficiency of the express bus network is contingent on the DOT
providing the best possible traffic patterns and synchronizations.” Why were these analyses
and conversations with experts like “Gridlock Sam” and the DOT not happening prior to the
changes and service cuts?

The MTA Made Service Cuts

2 – The MTA is still trying to convince riders and taxpayers that the bus routes were
“streamlined” in order to better manage “circuitous” routes. In addition to the fact that no
traffic, ridership, or pedestrian safety impact studies were conducted, the MTA and our elected
officials refuse to acknowledge that the actual changes resulted in service cuts. Whether or not
that was the intent, service cuts were the actual impact. By combining four or five routes into
one route, removing stops, reducing the hours the buses travel, eliminating buses and routes,
and forcing people to walk multiple avenues to catch a bus, the MTA and our elected officials
cut the SI Express Bus Service.

And yet, Byford states, “Contrary to popular belief that the redesigned network represented a
service cut for Staten Island commuters, significantly more trips are available now than under
the previous configuration, with 68 additional weekday trips, 62 additional Saturday trips and
60 additional Sunday trips.” Despite this proclamation, the riders’ commutes have not
improved. Until the MTA and our elected official acknowledge that the impact of their changes
was actually service cuts, it will be difficult to restore and improve service.

The late-night shuttle on the SIM4 route is a perfect example. The article states, “After
previously announcing a late-night shuttle from the Eltingville Transit Center for South Shore
commuters, the MTA has announced it will extend the SIM4c route farther south and later into
the night. Once the changes are implemented, the SIM4c route will be extended to Huguenot
Avenue and Woodrow Road, running until 2:15 a.m.” This was a service cut that is only being
restored after a massive number of rider complaints due to being stranded without any service.
Further, the article states, “In addition, numerous routes will be receiving net increases in
service, resulting in more total trips on their daily schedules. The SIM1, SIM2, SIM22, SIM31,
SIM32 and SIM34 will receive increased service on Manhattan-bound trips. The SIM1, SIM2,
SIM3, SIM4, SIM22, SIM31, SIM33 and SIM34 will receive increased service on Staten Islandbound
trips.”

Page 3 of 4

If the MTA and our elected officials had not cut service, it would not have to be restored. This is
not about streamlining the routes – this was a service cut and the riders are working tirelessly
on their own time to have the service restored.

And still the MTA contends that, “Staten Island express bus speeds are up approximately 10
percent since the new network was implemented.” Where is the data behind that fact?
Because according to riders’ daily feedback, most commutes have gotten longer. The MTA is
turning a blind eye to the fact that people are waiting for the buses longer due to less buses,
overcrowding, and to avoid standing while riding. So maybe the bus speeds are faster, but
riders’ commutes are not.

The MTA and Elected Officials Are Reactionary

The MTA and our elected officials did not expect the chaos or anticipate rider difficulties
because the appropriate studies were not conducted before the changes and service cuts were
made. The MTA even admitted in the article that, “With Staten Island's redesign serving as the
forerunner for the rest of the city, the MTA says it will take the experiences it has learned here
and apply them to the other boroughs, starting with the Bronx.” And, according to Hawkins,
“One thing we did not put out in the public process was about the schedules, the spans of
service, the frequencies. I think that's one of the things we learned, that we really need to get
that more into the outreach process.”

It is arguable that information was not communicated fully because it would have indicated to
the riders just how deep the service cuts really were. How much money did the MTA save with
this new plan? That information has also not been presented to the public yet.

The fact remains that the MTA and our elected official are simply reacting to the riders’
complaints and difficulties rather than having planned the changes with the proper studies – or
even more carefully considered the service cuts before making them. And yet, riders will pay
the full fare with more fare hikes looming in the distance. Riders have had to spend more time
commuting, walking, standing, being stranded, and being late for professional and personal
obligations. The riders are so upset that some have considered moving or changing jobs to
avoid the new SI Express Bus changes. Reading riders’ daily struggles on the community
Facebook pages demonstrates just how terrible the impact of these changes has been.

And at some level, despite arguing otherwise, the MTA and our elected officials are aware of
the chaotic impact their changes have caused. Here are all the quotes that indicate how the
MTA and our elected officials are reacting to the impact of their decisions – which should have
been proactively addressed before the service changes were made:

Page 4 of 4

 Byford emphasized that the MTA is trying to follow up on all the complaints it has
received and has already implemented a number of changes as a result. "Each and every
complaint is being followed up on," said Byford.

 "And we haven't finished, there's still issues out there," said Byford.

 Since the launch of the new network, the MTA has been holding daily phone calls with
the borough president's office to discuss the numerous complaints received from
constituents.

 "If this thing is a failure, I will be the first one to stand up and say, like I did on Twitter
before the first bus rolled out, 'It's on me, it's a failure and it's not working'," said
[Borough President James] Oddo.

 "I get complaints every day, but I don't see them as complaints, I see them as feedback
in that these people ride it every day. They know what works and what doesn't work ...”
said Byford.

 “Clearly there is a level of dissatisfaction. We wanted to have this because we wanted to
be upfront and own the fact that right now, in week four, there is a level of
dissatisfaction," said Oddo.

 “The vast majority of the concerns we've seen are about crowding and the fact that
people have to stand on their bus," said MTA planner Jonathan Hawkins.

 “What happens is, one, it's frustrating to have that long time period where you can't get
a bus. But then the other issue is that the first bus, or first couple buses, that get down
there after that are just getting absolutely slammed," he [Jonathan Hawkins] continued.

 Many riders have complained that after missing the last peak service bus they must wait
up to an hour for off-peak service to begin, and vice versa.
Despite all the work that needs to be done and all the information that still needs to be
collected and analyzed, the article indicated that there is no Town Hall meeting scheduled, as
the MTA and elected officials want to avoid name calling and a negative forum.

I think, once again, that the MTA and elected officials are insulting the intelligence of the SI
Express Bus rider community – a group of educated, hard-working New Yorkers who bring a
significant amount of income and tax dollars back to Staten Island – and whose grass-roots
efforts have single-handedly forced City and State government officials to both admit their
shortcomings and begin to fix the mess they created.

Page 4 of 4

2 hours ago, WonderBread said:

You also mentioned buses breaking down.  Can you provide feedback about how often this occurs?  Eastchester Depot seems to have a decent amount of MCI express buses from 2002 that should be retired and others. We would like the (MTA) to accelerate the procurement process for the pending contract for some hundreds of new express buses as this order has been pending now for some years now.  They have five express buses that are over 16 years old or older at that depot running regularly in service, with approximately 107 express buses now at 11 - 12 years old or older.  Not good...

56 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I have been noticing this to be an issue from Yonkers Depot,

I don't know how but 50% of their drivers don't know how to turn and one just yesterday nearly ran over me trying to turn onto Broadway in Getty Square, and anothet one jumped the curb.

It's annoying.  Seems like Yonkers can't keep the good drivers.  There are some that are still around since I've been living up there. I had a very nice Latina this morning, who I've had over several years.  She is sort of hit and miss though. Sometimes I get her when I go shopping in the City on the BxM2 going home on weekends.  I think part of it is that some of them leave to go work for NYCT.  (MTA) Bus isn't as lucrative.  I believe the pay is lower for one, so when you are starting out, you may get placed wherever until you can move on.  The other thing could be that they want to be by a depot that is closer to where they live (had a Jamaican guy that I used to get that apparently lived up closer to Eastchester Depot, so I'm sure he transferred to another depot) so they transfer when they get enough seniority.  Then there are the floaters that just go wherever the (MTA) needs them.  Some of them will even go over to College Point for express bus trips.  Puerto Rican B/O out of Yonkers that I know lives in Hunts Point. He was put at College Point Depot for a bit. A few years ago, I had a black male driver who I used to get late nights when I would go back to City again to go to one of my bars or what have you. Well a few months later I got him on an M3 bus.  I get on and my hands are full with bags.  Dip my card, and he goes this isn't an express bus, so I go yeah I know. I'm making my way over to the BxM2.  Then I looked up and said how do you know that I use the express bus? Then I see his face and go oh, I remember you! lol He had jumped ship and went over to Manhattanville Depot. 

We had a bunch of B/Os on my BxM2 last night.  I'm guessing some were new and in training, but my trip took longer. Over an hour yet again and this is supposed to be a light traffic week because of Yom Kippur. <_< Driver came on time but was just slow.  Every so many months we get a bunch of rookies, and so it goes.

The MTA promises that in the future bus redesigns, they will be much more transparent with schedules, spans and frequencies. However I don’t trust this. There’s another SI express pick this week or next for the October schedule changes. Why haven’t the revised schedules been released BEFORE the pick? That was one of the initial problems with the new schedules (necessary changes had to be made using drivers from the extra list).

9 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It's annoying.  Seems like Yonkers can't keep the good drivers.  There are some that are still around since I've been living up there. I had a very nice Latina this morning, who I've had over several years.  She is sort of hit and miss though. Sometimes I get her when I go shopping in the City on the BxM2 going home on weekends.  I think part of it is that some of them leave to go work for NYCT.  (MTA) Bus isn't as lucrative.  I believe the pay is lower for one, so when you are starting out, you may get placed wherever until you can move on.  The other thing could be that they want to be by a depot that is closer to where they live (had a Jamaican guy that I used to get that apparently lived up closer to Eastchester Depot, so I'm sure he transferred to another depot) so they transfer when they get enough seniority.  Then there are the floaters that just go wherever the (MTA) needs them.  Some of them will even go over to College Point for express bus trips.  Puerto Rican B/O out of Yonkers that I know lives in Hunts Point. He was put at College Point Depot for a bit. A few years ago, I had a black male driver who I used to get late nights when I would go back to City again to go to one of my bars or what have you. Well a few months later I got him on an M3 bus.  I get on and my hands are full with bags.  Dip my card, and he goes this isn't an express bus, so I go yeah I know. I'm making my way over to the BxM2.  Then I looked up and said how do you know that I use the express bus? Then I see his face and go oh, I remember you! lol He had jumped ship and went over to Manhattanville Depot. 

We had a bunch of B/Os on my BxM2 last night.  I'm guessing some were new and in training, but my trip took longer. Over an hour yet again and this is supposed to be a light traffic week because of Yom Kippur. <_< Driver came on time but was just slow.  Every so many months we get a bunch of rookies, and so it goes.

Also, another thing that irritates me. You know that BxM3 stop near the Yonkers/Bronx Line? It dosen't exist yet the GTFS feed shows that it does. I've missed so many BxM3's because of this.

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Also, another thing that irritates me. You know that BxM3 stop near the Yonkers/Bronx Line? It dosen't exist yet the GTFS feed shows that it does. I've missed so many BxM3's because of this.

Not sure what you’re referring to. I either get the BxM3 by 246th and Broadway or get off further north if I’m making a stop.

31 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Not sure what you’re referring to. I either get the BxM3 by 246th and Broadway or get off further north if I’m making a stop.

29 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Probably referring to 261 St and Broadway or somewhere around that area.

BTrain is correct. The stop pole for the BxM3 doesn't exist there for whatever reason.

5 hours ago, SIMplicity said:

The MTA promises that in the future bus redesigns, they will be much more transparent with schedules, spans and frequencies. However I don’t trust this. There’s another SI express pick this week or next for the October schedule changes. Why haven’t the revised schedules been released BEFORE the pick? That was one of the initial problems with the new schedules (necessary changes had to be made using drivers from the extra list).

The one thing I'll say is that they haven't come close to addressing all of the issues (so maybe they don't want to hear a bunch of complaints about the weekend spans or other issues which they haven't gotten to, since I heard the main change is coming in January)

But yes, I agree with you, they should've released drafts of the schedules this time around, since that was the mistake they made the first time.

12 hours ago, SIMplicity said:

And now you see why I haven't trusted them. People used to say that I was trying to cook up some big conspiracy. Not at all. It's very SIMple... The agency is cash strapped. At the very least, they are trying to be "creative" and come up with solutions to cut their costs. It will be up to passengers to speak out. As I have said, they are NOT private. They are a PUBLIC agency that is accountable to the public. We all pay taxes and have a right to hold them accountable for providing service that they promise to give. I am VERY happy to see several individuals essentially challenging the status quo and the (MTA) to improve service for express bus riders, so whether or not they join our advocacy group, we do know that we have folks essentially working with us to improve the customer experience.

8 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Probably referring to 261 St and Broadway or somewhere around that area.

7 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

BTrain is correct. The stop pole for the BxM3 doesn't exist there for whatever reason.

I see. I will look into this for you today and let you know what we do to address the problem. Sounds like the DOT needs to get out there and restore the stop. Sometimes the stop can be damaged, no one says anything (as in the passengers) and so it remains that way (in disrepair). I'll look to you to follow up with me if it remains a problem say a month from now. I have to give the DOT time to address the problem before following up.

UPDATE: Just reviewed that area and see that there is indeed a stop for the local buses, but nothing showing the presence of the BxM3. We have asked the Department of Transportation to fix this problem ASAP. Report back in about a month, or if you see the problem fixed before then let me know.

Recent activity of the Express Bus Advocacy Group:

-Contacting elected officials regarding the possible restoration of the old X18. Consideration of the circulation of a petition is pending.

-Outreach to Staten Island Express Bus riders regarding maintenance conditions. We are very concerned about the feedback we received. Reports of dirty buses, broken seats, no AC, photos of broken overhead areas stuffed with tissues, sunken in seats, etc. Most of the issues seem to stem from buses out of Castleton Depot in some cases for days in a row. This is not a condition that we want reoccurring out on Staten Island, especially given the fact that the majority of the fleet was just purchased in 2015. Most of the issues seem to stem from a lack of maintenance on some of the older buses from 2002 and 2008. We will be reaching out to the (MTA) to call for an overhaul of maintenance of the express buses across Staten Island. It is a problem that clearly has not been rectified. We will also be taking random trips on the fleet to see if we can spot these issues first hand. Previously we have not noticed such problems when riding the Prevost buses.

-Our meeting that was scheduled for last week has been rescheculed for today. Any parties interested can simply PM me for details.

These tour buses are becoming a real big problem, particularly for express bus riders....

Manhattan express bus accident causes commute delays

Updated Sep 20, 6:47 AM; Posted Sep 19

nws-bus-d89d5ae7e443f9a8.jpg

A SIM4 bus cancelled its trip after it got into an accident with another bus on Wednesday Sept. 19, 2018. (Courtesy: Daniel D'Alessandro)

By Paul Liotta pliotta@siadvance.com

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- Can the commute get any worse?

Staten-Island-bound express bus riders had an even longer Wednesday night trip after their bus got into an accident with a double-decker tour bus.

The driver-side mirror of the tour bus came into contact with the SIM4 bus around 6 p.m., according to commuter Daniel D'Alessandro, who was on the bus.

"Everyone was just trying to get home," the Bulls Head resident said. "People on the bus got off, and ran to the ferry."

An MTA spokesperson confirmed the bus was involved in the accident, and said one person on the bus complained about injuries. 

D'Alessandro, 23, said he let one SIM4 pass, because there was only standing room available, but got on the bus after that, which had a few seats.

"It's kind of just bad day after bad day," he said.

Source: https://www.silive.com/news/2018/09/manhattan_express_bus_accident.html?utm_campaign=statenislandadvance_sf&amp;utm_source=facebook&amp;utm_medium=social

---

Aside from this it seems as if all of this congestion is creating more accidents, which is just exacerbating these commutes, especially out on Staten Island.

36 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

These tour buses are becoming a real big problem, particularly for express bus riders....

Manhattan express bus accident causes commute delays

Updated Sep 20, 6:47 AM; Posted Sep 19

nws-bus-d89d5ae7e443f9a8.jpg

A SIM4 bus cancelled its trip after it got into an accident with another bus on Wednesday Sept. 19, 2018. (Courtesy: Daniel D'Alessandro)

By Paul Liotta pliotta@siadvance.com

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- Can the commute get any worse?

Staten-Island-bound express bus riders had an even longer Wednesday night trip after their bus got into an accident with a double-decker tour bus.

The driver-side mirror of the tour bus came into contact with the SIM4 bus around 6 p.m., according to commuter Daniel D'Alessandro, who was on the bus.

"Everyone was just trying to get home," the Bulls Head resident said. "People on the bus got off, and ran to the ferry."

An MTA spokesperson confirmed the bus was involved in the accident, and said one person on the bus complained about injuries. 

D'Alessandro, 23, said he let one SIM4 pass, because there was only standing room available, but got on the bus after that, which had a few seats.

"It's kind of just bad day after bad day," he said.

Source: https://www.silive.com/news/2018/09/manhattan_express_bus_accident.html?utm_campaign=statenislandadvance_sf&amp;utm_source=facebook&amp;utm_medium=social

---

Aside from this it seems as if all of this congestion is creating more accidents, which is just exacerbating these commutes, especially out on Staten Island.

That picture doesn't make it look like the tour bus is the problem. The tour bus was in the correct lane to make that turn, the other bus not so much.