Express Bus Advocacy Group

Via Garibaldi 8

30 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I had a feeling the PBL NYBS was better than MTA Bus, I never rode NYBS sadly but from pics they looked like a nice little mom and pop operation. Bus decals written in script and such was a nice touch.

I didn't know NYBS riders were against the takeover. 

We have quite a few riders in my group that have been taking the express bus for 20-30 years, and they all say that service is worse under the (MTA) compared to the private lines. Can’t say I disagree either.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Maybe this guy was doing this trip on overtime and the depot did not cover the next trip because nobody was interested?

All I know is there has not been a 5:30pm QM1 trip in over a week! No 5:30pm ran the entire week last week, not including the 6:30pm and 7pm that barely ran this week. There are only 7 PM trips, so that’s 3 buses right there, and then sometimes the 4pm or 4:30 doesn’t come either. That’s less than 50% of the service being filled. Ridiculous!!

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

1 hour ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Maybe this guy was doing this trip on overtime and the depot did not cover the next trip because nobody was interested?

As VG8 said, the issue is not one isolated day with a missing trip. The issue is the pattern where the next trip in this run is almost never happening. There is some larget system issue going on here...

15 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

As VG8 said, the issue is not one isolated day with a missing trip. The issue is the pattern where the next trip in this run is almost never happening. There is some larget system issue going on here...

If you're going to make a schedule, make sure you can run ALL trips. Something here and there is understandable but everyday? It's like the (MTA) unofficially eliminated those trips (5:30 and 6:30) and forgot to change the schedules online. People plan their commutes with these buses. I feel like the (MTA) doesn't want to operate certain express bus routes. If the (MTA) doesn't want to operate a route, give it to someone else to operate, not run piss-poor service and then cut service because it "lost ridership".

Edited by Lil 57

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

We have quite a few riders in my group that have been taking the express bus for 20-30 years, and they all say that service is worse under the (MTA) compared to the private lines. Can’t say I disagree either.

I can't speak for the private lines personally (since I've never ridden one), but I have taken the QM17 and QM16 a few times here and there, and service has gradually gotten worse overtime with (MTA). Mainly, it takes longer to get into Queens and vice versa by a longshot on average due to delays and issues. That's unacceptable to have trips nearing 2+ hours or even more considering our distance to Manhattan and back to Queens. 

19 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

If you're going to make a schedule, make sure you can run ALL trips. Something here and there is understandable but everyday? It's like the (MTA) unofficially eliminated those trips (5:30 and 6:30) and forgot to change the schedules online. People plan their commutes with these buses. I feel like the (MTA) doesn't want to operate certain express bus routes. If the (MTA) doesn't want to operate a route, give it to someone else to operate, not run piss-poor service and then cut service because it "lost ridership".

The (MTA) really needs to get better with coordinating schedules, changes, trips like these. Not having a certain bus trip run for sometimes weeks is downright insane, and this must be brought up at a board meeting or something. I don't know who else would operate certain express bus routes though these days and if they'd be a good idea or not. 

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

36 minutes ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

I can't speak for the private lines personally (since I've never ridden one), but I have taken the QM17 and QM16 a few times here and there, and service has gradually gotten worse overtime with (MTA). Mainly, it takes longer to get into Queens and vice versa by a longshot on average due to delays and issues. That's unacceptable to have trips nearing 2+ hours or even more considering our distance to Manhattan and back to Queens. 

The (MTA) really needs to get better with coordinating schedules, changes, trips like these. Not having a certain bus trip run for sometimes weeks is downright insane, and this must be brought up at a board meeting or something. I don't know who else would operate certain express bus routes though these days and if they'd be a good idea or not. 

Oh I most certainly brought up the missing bus issue before several big wigs, Road ops, and everyone else that was in my meeting a few weeks ago. The room was packed with (MTA) personnel and two DOT reps, plus a rep. from Senator Biaggi’s office, so they’ve been put on notice. The next step is an audit. We gather information every day with certain lines to show a pattern of horrendous service where trips go missing on several lines.

I especially used the QM1 5:30 trip as an example, and I directed my comment to Road ops because I supplied them with a list MONTHS ago for the entire express bus network of trips that regularly go missing so they have no excuse. I told my contact... I said to him, the QM1 5:30 trip has been missing for WEEKS!! How long is this going to go on for?!?? I prefaced that by saying that breakdowns, and missing buses happen from time to time, but what’s happening here is ridiculous. I put him on the spot, and all he could say was send him the specific trips. LOL Like dude you already have it (the list)! I didn’t say that but I know he was already embarrassed. As I said, they have become too comfortable not filling trips. Now they have to scramble to fill what they can.

2 hours ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

I’m currently sitting solo on the QM32 8:30am trip back to Whitestone. I know school’s off today and many people stayed home, but surely MTA has to be looking at trips like these to chop away.  

That's a trip that could go.  Restore the 00:00 QM2. There's QM2 service every 30 minutes in the AM at that time back to Whitestone, and those QM32 trips don't see much usage.  Just an example of the bonehead moves they make.

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That's a trip that could go.  Restore the 00:00 QM2. There's QM2 service every 30 minutes in the AM at that time back to Whitestone, and those QM32 trips don't see much usage.  Just an example of the bonehead moves they make.

How is there a midnight QM2 bus to Whitestone on Saturdays, but none on weekdays? The (MTA) would rather run trips that carry air than run a trip that would make money. Talking about this I've come with a SIM2 plan.

SIM2 off-peak. Peak service would remain as is. The SIM4C would still run to Huguenot to provide 20-30 minute service to Arden Heights.

Weekdays:

MB: 4:30 AM - 7:00 PM (Every 10-15 minutes until 8:30 AM, 30 minutes until noon, then every 60 minutes until the end of service)

SIB: 8:00 AM - 1:00 AM (Every 60 minutes until 2:00 PM, every 10-30 minutes until 7:00 PM, then every 30 minutes until the end of service)

Saturdays:

MB: 6:00 AM - 10:00 PM (Every 60 minutes)

SIB: 7:15 AM - 11:15 PM (Every 60 minutes)

Sundays:

MB: 7:30 AM - 8:30 PM (Every 60 minutes)

SIB: 8:45 AM - 9:45 PM (Every 60 minutes)

Cuts to do this:

- S54 service runs every 60 minutes after 6:55 PM in both directions instead of every 30 minutes.

- S55/56 service runs every 60 minutes from approx. 9:30 AM - 1:30 PM instead of every 30 minutes.

- S57 service originates/terminates at the New Dorp SIR station after approx. 7 PM on weekdays and 6 PM on weekends.

- S46 service runs every 30 minutes to the West Shore Plaza on weekends with every-other bus terminating at Forest/Grandview.

Edited by Lil 57

5 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

How is there a midnight QM2 bus to Whitestone on Saturdays, but none on weekdays? The  would rather run trips that carry air than run a trip that would make money. Talking about this I've come with a SIM2 plan.

SIM2 off-peak. Peak service would remain as is. The SIM4C would still run to Huguenot to provide 20-30 minute service to Arden Heights.

Weekdays

MB: 4:30 AM - 7:00 PM (Every 10-15 minutes until 8:30 AM, 30 minutes until noon, then every 60 minutes until the end of service)

SIB: 8:00 AM - 1:00 AM (Every 60 minutes until 2:00 PM, every 10-30 minutes until 7:00 PM, then every 30 minutes until the end of service)

Saturdays

MB: 6:00 AM - 10:00 PM (Every 60 minutes)

SIB: 7:15 AM - 11:15 PM (Every 60 minutes)

Sundays

MB: 7:30 AM - 8:30 PM (Every 60 minutes)

SIB: 8:45 AM - 9:45 PM (Every 60 minutes)

Cuts to do this

- S54 service runs every 60 minutes after 6:55 PM in both directions instead of every 30 minutes.

- S55/56 service runs every 60 minutes from approx. 9:30 AM - 1:30 PM instead of every 30 minutes.

- S57 service originates/terminates at the New Dorp SIR station after approx. 7 PM on weekdays and 6 PM on weekends.

- S46 service runs every 30 minutes to the West Shore Plaza on weekends with every-other bus terminating at Forest/Grandview.

That is NOT happening.  No local bus is running once an hour.  The bare minimum is every 30 minutes. The spans are also too long. The SIM1C runs 24/7.  During the week, the SIM2 could run until maybe 8:30 or 9pm back to Staten Island and then have the SIM4C cover the parts that it currently does.  Hourly service on weekends is fine, but I wouldn't run it that late. Better to provide some service and then let it grow over time and then add more.  This is an example where knowing the demographics makes a difference. Same reason why Queens express bus service tends to end earlier going to Manhattan. Not as much demand.

13 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That is NOT happening.  No local bus is running once an hour.  The bare minimum is every 30 minutes. The spans are also too long. The SIM1C runs 24/7.  During the week, the SIM2 could run until maybe 8:30 or 9pm back to Staten Island and then have the SIM4C cover the parts that it currently does.  Hourly service on weekends is fine, but I wouldn't run it that late. Better to provide some service and then let it grow over time and then add more.

One of the reasons why people didn't use the SIM2 off-peak was because of its service span. If you wanted to go for a night out and lived in Tottenville, you couldn't use the express bus going back w/o making transfers on long headways. Starting the SIM2 later on weekends and ending it later, would be a better solution. (Who's going to Manhattan from Tottenville at 4:30 in the morning on weekends that you need to run an express bus for them?) The local bus cuts, especially the S55/56, carry little to no passengers at the time I proposed those cuts. There are plenty of local bus routes that run once an hour during certain times (Q67 especially). Not saying that I agree with that but if a route is carrying a number of passengers per-trip that I can count on my hands with 30-minute headways, hourly service could save money, w/o getting the buses crowded. Unless if you want to have the SIM4C run to Tottenville via the SIM2 routing when it's not running. The (MTA) would not give SIM2 off-peak service w/o cutting service somewhere else in the system.

Edited by Lil 57

2 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

One of the reasons why people didn't use the SIM2 off-peak was because of its service span. If you wanted to go for a night out and lived in Tottenville, you couldn't use the express bus going back w/o making transfers on long headways. Starting the SIM2 later on weekends and ending it later, would be a better solution. (Who's going to Manhattan from Tottenville at 4:30 in the morning on weekends that you need to run an express bus for them?) The local bus cuts, especially the S55/56, carry little to no passengers at the time I proposed those cuts. There are plenty of local bus routes that run once an hour during certain times (Q67 especially). Not saying that I agree with that but if a route is carrying a number of passengers per-trip that I can count on my hands with 30-minute headways, hourly service could save money, w/o getting the buses crowded.

Running a local bus once an hour just doesn't make sense.  People don't want to wait that long for a local bus.  Express buses are different because they are commuter buses.  I'm not saying that the span should start early, just saying that you have to have enough ridership to sustain the later trips.  

5 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Running a local bus once an hour just doesn't make sense.  People don't want to wait that long for a local bus.  Express buses are different because they are commuter buses.  I'm not saying that the span should start early, just saying that you have to have enough ridership to sustain the later trips.  

I don't agree with cuts but I added in my above statement is that the (MTA) won't have any SIM2 run off-peak w/o some cut in the system. If the SIM4C ran to Tottenville via the old SIM2, that might be clausable since it's quicker than the old routing.

40 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

One of the reasons why people didn't use the SIM2 off-peak was because of its service span. If you wanted to go for a night out and lived in Tottenville, you couldn't use the express bus going back w/o making transfers on long headways. Starting the SIM2 later on weekends and ending it later, would be a better solution. (Who's going to Manhattan from Tottenville at 4:30 in the morning on weekends that you need to run an express bus for them?) The local bus cuts, especially the S55/56, carry little to no passengers at the time I proposed those cuts. There are plenty of local bus routes that run once an hour during certain times (Q67 especially). Not saying that I agree with that but if a route is carrying a number of passengers per-trip that I can count on my hands with 30-minute headways, hourly service could save money, w/o getting the buses crowded. Unless if you want to have the SIM4C run to Tottenville via the SIM2 routing when it's not running. The (MTA) would not give SIM2 off-peak service w/o cutting service somewhere else in the system.

The Q67 is not an example, it's an anomaly compared to the rest of the system. The ridership on the Q67 is low because of the hourly headways. If it ran even half-hourly, I would expect the number of people using the route to rise. The other local routes are mainly hourly during overnight hours. 

With respect to the SIM2, I would use the same amount of trips as it had before, but redistribute some of the early AM weekend trips so that there can be hourly service past 7 PM towards Manhattan. 

2 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The Q67 is not an example, it's an anomaly compared to the rest of the system. The ridership on the Q67 is low because of the hourly headways. If it ran even half-hourly, I would expect the number of people using the route to rise. The other local routes are mainly hourly during overnight hours. 

With respect to the SIM2, I would use the same amount of trips as it had before, but redistribute some of the early AM weekend trips so that there can be hourly service past 7 PM towards Manhattan. 

The reality is I don't see the line having half hour service the entire day. It was overkill, and from speaking with the planner involved, they seemed to be open to the idea of hourly service at some point. We didn't discuss spans, but I did mention that I questioned who the targeted riders were having service to Tottenville so early in the morning, despite what checkmatechamp noted previously. Aside from that, we have Tottenville residents that have been complaining NON-STOP about too many buses running down Craig Avenue, even going so far as to go to the (MTA) Board meetings to complain before the board, not to mention the Community Board down there. 

Hourly service most of the weekend would be a good compromise, and where necessary you can add more service to provide 30 minute headways.  I think that's what you would get if anything.  What I don't want to see is the service introduced again and yanked months later. The first thing that they argued in my meeting was that the line had low ridership, and that they took the service used on the SIM2 to run the SIM33C off-peak. I countered that by asking what sort of marketing had been done, and citing how many people didn't know about the service, not to mention that it had been running but a few months tops.  In short, the line needs to be marketed right, and they need to figure out who is using that service before starting it up again, and so we discussed marketing ideas as well, and I used the example of Metro-North and how they expanded service in my neighborhood.  

49 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The reality is I don't see the line having half hour service the entire day. It was overkill, and from speaking with the planner involved, they seemed to be open to the idea of hourly service at some point. We didn't discuss spans, but I did mention that I questioned who the targeted riders were having service to Tottenville so early in the morning, despite what checkmatechamp noted previously. Aside from that, we have Tottenville residents that have been complaining NON-STOP about too many buses running down Craig Avenue, even going so far as to go to the (MTA) Board meetings to complain before the board, not to mention the Community Board down there. 

Hourly service most of the weekend would be a good compromise, and where necessary you can add more service to provide 30 minute headways.  I think that's what you would get if anything.  What I don't want to see is the service introduced again and yanked months later. The first thing that they argued in my meeting was that the line had low ridership, and that they took the service used on the SIM2 to run the SIM33C off-peak. I countered that by asking what sort of marketing had been done, and citing how many people didn't know about the service, not to mention that it had been running but a few months tops.  In short, the line needs to be marketed right, and they need to figure out who is using that service before starting it up again, and so we discussed marketing ideas as well, and I used the example of Metro-North and how they expanded service in my neighborhood.  

It may not need half-hourly service the entire day, but yeah, where necessary, have the 30 minute headways. My suggestion wasn't really concrete, but basically distribute the number of trips so that there's an adequate span of service. I think it would be also a good idea to ask that if service is restored (in some way), that they don't eliminate other off-peak service just to add that weekend service. 

BTW, what span do you have in mind for such a service. 

12 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

It may not need half-hourly service the entire day, but yeah, where necessary, have the 30 minute headways. My suggestion wasn't really concrete, but basically distribute the number of trips so that there's an adequate span of service. I think it would be also a good idea to ask that if service is restored (in some way), that they don't eliminate other off-peak service just to add that weekend service. 

BTW, what span do you have in mind for such a service. 

I personally think the span really depends on what the naysayers are willing to tolerate along Craig Avenue.

6 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

Chill.. I'm not walking from the plaza to my crib for that. 

Maybe not that cut. But alot of times when I get on the S57 at Hylan/Ebbits after 7 PM I'm the only one on the bus until the plaza.

Latest updates:

-We have put an inquiry in regarding the ongoing QM1 PM issues noting specific trips and how long the issue has been ongoing. We'll update when we have a response.

-Per Borough President Oddo's office, the (MTA) is ready to list the latest round of SIM service improvements for April.

-Per Borough President Oddo's office & Councilman Joe Borelli, per Academy, additional changes are coming for the SIM23 and SIM24

-Still awaiting word of the no coins situation on express buses.  Myself and the leader of a local Staten Island express bus advocacy group both wrote to our contacts with the request that the (MTA) Board members reconsider this policy until the new OMNY system has been completely installed, as it unfairly targets commuters in transportation deserts that don't live near subways.

-Brainstorming for express bus fliers to begin in the coming weeks

-Follow-up comments with DOT requests to be sent either this week or next week

On 3/4/2019 at 11:20 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

If the trip is deadheading back to College Point anyway, the marginal cost of having it swing through Whitestone might not be too much. I agree those trips likely aren't needed but I'd like to see the numbers on those first. Reverse-peak service in general (as you recall I mentioned with the SIM2) is dirt-cheap to operate.

On 3/4/2019 at 3:31 PM, Lil 57 said:

Cuts to do this:

Cutting alternate S46 buses to Forest Avenue wouldn't save as much money as you think (the same way it costs almost as much to short-turn the S62 at CSI on Saturdays as it does to just run them to Travis. It's still the same 7 buses anyway)

In any case, it all goes back to what I've been saying about Staten Island coverage vs. Manhattan coverage. If you ran the SIM2 & SIM4 (but ran them late into the evening on weekends, like 1am, and ran them every 30 minutes or better, that's a good compromise for not running them to Midtown IMO)

On 3/4/2019 at 3:48 PM, Lil 57 said:

The SIM2 started that early because the X17 started from Arden Heights that early and they wanted to make sure those early-morning riders could still get to Manhattan at the same time as they did under the old system. 

On 3/4/2019 at 6:55 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Aside from that, we have Tottenville residents that have been complaining NON-STOP about too many buses running down Craig Avenue, even going so far as to go to the (MTA) Board meetings to complain before the board, not to mention the Community Board down there. 

On 3/4/2019 at 8:03 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I personally think the span really depends on what the naysayers are willing to tolerate along Craig Avenue.

Here's the thing with Craig Avenue: I went to the CB3 meeting on February 6th with a bunch of SIM2 riders (maybe 15 or so) and we basically drowned out the Craig Avenue residents (one of them was there, and just mumbled something about the ridership study, which to be fair I agree with....but more from the perspective that they should've been more thorough and detailed in general). The thing is, even though the CB3 board members told them to come again to the meeting on February 26th, none of those riders showed up (to my knowledge). So they're very wishy-washy but if organized right, they can put up a good fight.

13 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

-Per Borough President Oddo's office & Councilman Joe Borelli, per Academy, additional changes are coming for the SIM23 and SIM24

Those changes are horrible, and the Academy planners are complete idiots. They only listen to complaints (because realistically nobody is going to send tons of emails priasing them, they'll just take it for granted).

But basically, I think that the people who are positively affected by the current structure are opening up their mouths and pushing back (and I think that they outnumber those who benefit from the old convoluted route structure by a decent margin....the question is can they keep up the pressure long enough to prevent the changes?)

5 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Reverse-peak service in general (as you recall I mentioned with the SIM2) is dirt-cheap to operate.

Same thing with the SIM3C. Out of all the off-peak express routes, it must be the cheapest to operate reverse peak because it literally ends in front of it's depot. They should of kept the trips back to SI in the Morning on weekdays.

8 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

If the trip is deadheading back to College Point anyway, the marginal cost of having it swing through Whitestone might not be too much. I agree those trips likely aren't needed but I'd like to see the numbers on those first. Reverse-peak service in general (as you recall I mentioned with the SIM2) is dirt-cheap to operate.

Cutting alternate S46 buses to Forest Avenue wouldn't save as much money as you think (the same way it costs almost as much to short-turn the S62 at CSI on Saturdays as it does to just run them to Travis. It's still the same 7 buses anyway)

In any case, it all goes back to what I've been saying about Staten Island coverage vs. Manhattan coverage. If you ran the SIM2 & SIM4 (but ran them late into the evening on weekends, like 1am, and ran them every 30 minutes or better, that's a good compromise for not running them to Midtown IMO)

The SIM2 started that early because the X17 started from Arden Heights that early and they wanted to make sure those early-morning riders could still get to Manhattan at the same time as they did under the old system. 

Here's the thing with Craig Avenue: I went to the CB3 meeting on February 6th with a bunch of SIM2 riders (maybe 15 or so) and we basically drowned out the Craig Avenue residents (one of them was there, and just mumbled something about the ridership study, which to be fair I agree with....but more from the perspective that they should've been more thorough and detailed in general). The thing is, even though the CB3 board members told them to come again to the meeting on February 26th, none of those riders showed up (to my knowledge). So they're very wishy-washy but if organized right, they can put up a good fight.

Those changes are horrible, and the Academy planners are complete idiots. They only listen to complaints (because realistically nobody is going to send tons of emails priasing them, they'll just take it for granted).

But basically, I think that the people who are positively affected by the current structure are opening up their mouths and pushing back (and I think that they outnumber those who benefit from the old convoluted route structure by a decent margin....the question is can they keep up the pressure long enough to prevent the changes?)

I had someone write to me this morning regarding the Academy lines.  I don't have much to say about the issue because as you know I interact with the (MTA) and those lines are operated and overseen by Academy. That said, I will respond to him and have Filippa have a look as well. Regarding the QM32 trips, I have people that have taken those trips for years. Ridership is low on them, and while I'd rather nothing be cut, people are more up in arms about the 00:00 QM2 trip being cut. When the QM32 runs, so does the QM2 back to Bay Terrace providing another option. That QM2 00:00 trip means people are shelling out money for Ubers or taking long rides on the (7) to then transfer to the local bus.