Express Bus Advocacy Group

Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

3776 is on the QM4 now...

And once that trip gets to 164th, it's done for the "morning" portion. IDK if they use the same bus on split shifts where the B/O goes back to the depot, but if they do, expect that bus to be out later this afternoon. Those buses just don't do well on high speed segments though, because that particular trip will around 20 minutes late once it reaches HHE.

7 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Isnt 3260 a 40 footer as well?

No, that is an MCI coach. The low 3xxx (UP TO 3474) are MCI coaches, and the 3500s and up are Hybrids

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

9 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

And once that trip gets to 164th, it's done for the "morning" portion. IDK if they use the same bus on split shifts where the B/O goes back to the depot, but if they do, expect that bus to be out later this afternoon. Those buses just don't do well on high speed segments though, because that particular trip will around 20 minutes late once it reaches HHE.

No, that is an MCI coach. The low 3xxx (UP TO 3474) are MCI coaches, and the 3500s and up are Hybrids

Has a 60 footer ever shown up on an express route?

12 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Yeah, that was one of the reasons for not using local buses on express bus routes because they just don't perform as well.

On 10/5/2018 at 1:16 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah, that was one of the reasons for not using local buses on express bus routes because they just don't perform as well.

Do some Local buses perform better than others?  The 8xxx Nova's seem to be fairly quick.. Ive ridden them on both the S79 and S89 they kept pace pretty well on the Bridges and Highways. Not that Id want them for $6.50 ride. That's kinda crazy.

Edited by RailRunRob

1 hour ago, RailRunRob said:

Do some Local buses perform better than others?  The 8xxx Nova's seem to be fairly quick.. Ive ridden them on both the S79 and S89 they kept pace pretty well on the Bridges and Highways. Not that Id want them for $6.50 ride. That's kinda crazy.

MTA local buses are governed much lower than the express fleet, most local buses are capped at 40 (Which sucks for highway running) where's the MCI's at capped at 58 IIRC.

If the MTA diesel local buses had a higher governed speed they would perform just as well.. They probably went with Coach buses for the express fleet cause it seats more people than a transit bus, and its more comfortable. I remember when Orion CNG's ran on the BM's they handled highway running just fine, since they were ex Command I don't think they even had a governor.  Remember one time I was on a SC Orion CNG and a CAS MCI was at the Manhattan end of the Battery tunnel and my Orion blew that MCI away. Also Bee Line still uses Orion V's on that one express route they have, in their case they went backwards from coach bus to transit bus, lol.

Edited by trainfan22

21 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

It's odd how Staten Island tends to have some more express buses run on local routes.

Some of the runs involve a local piece and express piece, and the drivers don't want to go back to the depot to swap out the local bus for the express bus so they use an express bus for the whole run.

12 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

MTA local buses are governed much lower than the express fleet, most local buses are capped at 40 (Which sucks for highway running) where's the MCI's at capped at 58 IIRC.

I've been on the S55 which almost reached 55 MPH on Richmond Ave, And an LFS on the S79 that reached 49 MPH (Also on Richmond Ave). I think the Novas on SI are governed at a higher speed than the NG's.

I think that the express buses are somewhere in the 60-65 MPH range. Most MCI's cap around 60 MPH while the Prevosts cap around 62-63 MPH.

Edited by Lil 57

1 hour ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

I'll move this post here:

What's the issue here? That's a good load for a weekend BM. This was common on the SI big three off peak before the SIM era, off peak, by the time the X1/10/17 got to their last pickup point, all the seats were filled, just like the bus described in that quoted post. 

Edited by trainfan22

1 minute ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

@Lil 57 Just keep in mind the MTA monitors these forums, so I wouldn't go around posting the numbers of ungoverned buses if you want them to remain that way.

I don't know the actual numbers. I just recorded the highest speeds I've gotten from my speedometer app.

8 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

The numbers of the actual buses (the 4 digit number on the bus itself).

Oh, I'll remove that info from my last post now.

OTOH, why would the governor be set below the highest speed limit. (50 MPH NYC). If a bus is deheading, it'll be going slower than any thing else on the expressway. Also on the NJT, the MTA Express Buses are governed slower than the 65mph speed limit. All the other buses are flying pass them. IMO the local buses should be set to 55 MPH and the express buses to 70 MPH.

Edited by Lil 57

As we announced on our group via social media, we have started taking unannounced trips. We will be compiling these trips and reporting directly to the (MTA) Board on the following:

-On-time performance

-Courteousness of drivers

-Cleanliness of buses

-Any other issues we notice

Today we took four trips.  Two out of the four trips arrived at their terminals LATE at times that should favor the (MTA).

Two QM2 trips. Both were on-time with courteous drivers and they ran via Parsons and via Mitchell Gardens, with the detour information being correct on-line, but incorrect at the bus stops.

One BxM2 Southbound trip at 07:30. That trip finished roughly 10 minutes late.

One BxM1 Northbound trip at 16:25. That trip finished 15 minutes late. There was a detour southbound via Lex that may have impacted the Northbound trip, but still unacceptable. 

Quite frankly service this week overall wasn’t good to say the least, between the trips that were monitored online, the actual trips taken, and trips reported on our page. Those trips were not logged, but some were excessively late. We had THREE Northbound BxM18 trips bunched Friday night on 30 minutes headways and there was were lots of others in Bay Ridge and across Staten Island with 45-60 minute waits on Staten Island, and various SRO buses in Bay Ridge.

We’ve quickly grown to over 200 members from around the City who are express bus riders on our page in roughly a week. That said, our group is a PRO express bus advocacy group. I run a tight ship there, and screen each person I allow in, and I am not putting up with any BS. I tell you the deal when you request to join and if you screw around, I will be quick to kick you out on the spot. A few have had their request denied. We have B/Os in our group as well. They’re good folks that want to see service improve. We want mature conversations and not characters coming in with BS. No time for it, so those people won’t be allowed in. Not many of them so far anyway.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

7 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The MTA needs to get with the times and realize that people go out on Saturday Afternoons after 4 PM. It's appaling how the BM's end so early towards Manhattan.

And that’s why some people don’t go out more on Sundays. Lots of express bus lines have had hourly service on Sundays for almost 10 years. If they are serious about growing ridership, they would look to improve off-peak service by adding a bus here and there to give riders on more line 30 minute headways. What is especially infuriating is that with more late buses, there is an ever larger gap between those hourly buses. Earlier in September, I waited so long for a BxM1 that I lost my transfer. I told the guy, I said I’m sorry but I’m not paying again. The bus was almost an hour late.

9 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

You mean as far as speed? No idea. I know that the Novas have doors that forever to open and close. That I find annoying, but most of my local bus rides are in Manhattan and usually not for long distances.

10 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

. I think the Novas on SI are governed at a higher speed than the NG's.

I think that the express buses are somewhere in the 60-65 MPH range. Most MCI's cap around 60 MPH while the Prevosts cap around 62-63 MPH.

Yeah I've noticed the Nova on SI are pretty quick as well. SI is prob the only place they have space to perform. To my point the Last time on the S79 they ran a Nova the driver took the upper level on the bridge he was able to keep pace with a MCI (43XX) no issues. I should note the bus was half full as well.. And the Bayonne Bridge is super steep they added 60 feet to the height I was surprised the Bus performed so well single lane uphill. We don't have any Nova's out my way in Brooklyn so I noticed the difference right off.   

Edited by RailRunRob