Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Via Garibaldi 8

Express Bus Advocacy Group

36 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Years ago the (MTA) approached the North Shore Towers and asked them if they wanted service directly into the complex since it is private.  They responded by having the QM6 come in to serve buildings 3, 2, and 1 (there is a QM6 stop for each building), but not the Q46, and it has remained that way today.  I approached them a few months ago about a meeting there and I just have to arrange it, but I wanted to see what sort of express bus service they wanted.  They do want Downtown service for sure.

I could see that they would want the Downtown service as they used to have that in the old QSC days (at least 1 or 2 trips each way), and I don't blame them for asking for it.

I'm curious to see if they'll seek out Super Express service in some form (limited to NST and perhaps maybe a few points east of Bell Blvd). I'm not an NST resident, though, so I wouldn't be effected either way.

2 hours ago, Uncle Floyd Fan said:

Oh wow. I didn't even think of the workers at NST. That makes sense, though. I know that some QM20 passengers switch buses at Linden Place and the Whitestone Expressway for the QM32 for 3rd Ave service (or at least they used to). Some of the newer drivers would not stop to allow this transfer if nobody was boarding at Linden Place and the Whitestone Expressway (because it was not a deboarding stop).

Is this 'part of the script' at MTA HQ, or is it tolerated by the MTA due to the influence of NST? I know Mitchell-Linden set something like this up back in the day (several years ago under QSC management) when Q34 service was cut on Saturdays. Passengers were told to take the Q25 or QBx1 and switch to the QM2, but to 'tell the driver' on the QM2 eastbound that they're doing the 'Mitchell-Linden' transfer. I don't think anybody utilized this option at all.

Fortunately, they were smart enough to re-rpute the QM2 through Mitchell-Linden a few years ago to provide express bus service through the area again and help boost the weekend ridership numbers for the QM2.

1 hour ago, 7-express said:

Fortunately, they were smart enough to re-rpute the QM2 through Mitchell-Linden a few years ago to provide express bus service through the area again and help boost the weekend ridership numbers for the QM2.

Agree. Weekend / holiday service was something the Mitchell Linden Civic Association was seeking back in the mid-1990's. If I recall correctly, the QM2 via MItchell-Linden was started sometime in 1995. Back then, I think all weekend service pre-1999 was provided by GMC RTS buses and some TMC RTS's. Orions CNG's (suburban style and local service style) were used in the early 2000's.