Express Bus Advocacy Group

Via Garibaldi 8

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Latest developments:

-Wrote to the State Comptroller's Office requesting an audit of express bus service. We have never reached out to the State Comptroller's Office previously, as we have been communicating with the City Comptroller's Office 

-Pushing to keep bus lanes clear and up-to-date...

-The private express bus service that was considered from Staten Island to Hudson Yards is not happening due to a cease and desist order.

-The private express bus service from Bay Ridge to Midtown is still pending, provided the operator can finalize the logistics. 

68720490_10217256129927743_3621677390771

68256647_10217256134767864_6382687925775

67838017_10217256753903342_4345266714565

68242202_10217256754023345_8552530366064

I heard about the Bay Ridge private bus, but not the Staten Island-Hudson Yards one. Is there a link for it?

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/6/2019 at 5:23 PM, 7-express said:

They posted this article about the QM5 and QM7: https://qns.com/story/2019/08/06/northeast-queens-commuters-gain-two-additional-express-bus-trips-during-morning-rush-hours-rozic/

If only they could also add early morning buses to the QM20.  A 0530 run would be beneficial because the current first run at 0545 is pretty full.

You weren’t kidding. I got off the QM2 at Park today and walked past the QM20 that has just dropped off its passengers at the stop and the bus was still packed. Usually the Whitestone buses are half empty by the Park Stop. 

2 hours ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

You weren’t kidding. I got off the QM2 at Park today and walked past the QM20 that has just dropped off its passengers at the stop and the bus was still packed. Usually the Whitestone buses are half empty by the Park Stop. 

As was said before, if they add earlier trips they will cut elsewhere.  Crowded is not SRO as the QM5 was. The 5:10 trip was added and service was cut back in the 6am hour. It was cost neutral.

2 hours ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

As was said before, if they add earlier trips they will cut elsewhere.  Crowded is not SRO as the QM5 was. The 5:10 trip was added and service was cut back in the 6am hour. It was cost neutral.

1 hour ago, IAlam said:

Guess I'm a bit late but why did the SI to Hudson Yards bus fail? @Via Garibaldi 8

It's pretty simple... Even if they wanted to start up they couldn't. They were served a cease and desist order, which pretty much means what it says. They apparently did not go through the proper channels to operate their service, and could've been sued had they tried to circumvent the order. They were shut down from operating the service before it even got off of the ground. The (MTA) has said that they eventually will operate some sort of new express bus service from Staten Island to Hudson Yards. As to when is anyone's guess, but they want it to be its own service, not any sort of revision of any current lines. The only express bus that is planned as a new service right now to Hudson Yards is the revised BxM18 route. The price point of that private operator was also very high at $12.00 per trip, or $24.00 per day. It would've operated as a Super Express service via Hylan Blvd, making I think about three stops or so on Staten Island, and then going straight to Hudson Yards. I told the person who was dealing with them directly that it was cost prohibitive, which was communicated to them. They were trying to offer a few perks, but even if they were allowed to start up I didn't see it working. They also didn't know the market, or offer any marketing material for the route, so that was another obstacle. They briefly had a website, but even that disappeared.

@Lawrence St See above...

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

7 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Sharing a letter from the MTA regarding the no coins policy and other matters... Additionally, I am looking to get an update on the new express buses, as in an actual timeline for them to start rolling on the streets. Heard 2020, but no vendor has been chosen yet. We will keep you posted.

69130616_10217323326487615_7267059964475

This is how the conversation in my head with Cipriano would go: “people are using coins because they can’t reliably get to an MVM” "dont use coins, use EasyPayExpress" "but...you can't buy an unlimited express bus plus card on EasyPayExpress, and that is what many riders want to use if they have reliable access to an MVM" "well, that's a bit of a pickle"

I’m also wary of double decker buses, as I expect they will take the same approach as with artics, and cut runs with the argument that more people can squeeze onto a bigger bus. 

Edited by QM1to6Ave

4 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

This is how the conversation in my head with Cipriano would go: “people are using coins because they can’t reliably get to an MVM” "dont use coins, use EasyPayExpress" "but...you can't buy an unlimited express bus plus card on EasyPayExpress, and that is what many riders want to use if they have reliable access to an MVM" "well, that's a bit of a pickle"

I’m also wary of double decker buses, as I expect they will take the same approach as with artics, and cut runs with the argument that more people can squeeze onto a bigger bus. 

Right on both accounts!!

-Latest news:

ATTENTION X27 and X37 riders: The private express bus service being considered that MAY serve 3rd Avenue now has the proposed stops finalized. Service is STILL PENDING. We need 300 signatures!! Petition will be coming VERY SOON...

Please note the following:

-Proposed fare would be $5.00 (bills or coins ONLY for now) and $3.00 for seniors

-Commuter books would be available ($40.00 for adults, $35.00 for seniors - available on the buses)

More to come.... Any questions, let me know.

69251956_10217363060520941_5659712674930

Bay Ridge Proposed bus stops now 

Why do off-peak /// buses run via the FDR (and albeit downtown), whereas off-peak / buses run local? Also, shouldn't there be an express bus route to Borough Park? it is, after all, a very underserved area. Here is my proposal

On 8/29/2019 at 12:48 PM, Jova42R said:

X57 express:

runs Prevost X3-45s

out of Ulmer Park Depot

southern terminal: 60 St/1 Av

northern terminal: 72 St/Bway

Connects with:

(N)(R) at 59 St

(N) at 8 Av

(N) at Fort Hamilton Pky

(D) at 50 St

(2)(3)(4)(5)(R) at Borough Hall

(A)(C)(F)(R) at Jay St

(4)(5)(6)(J)(Z) at Brooklyn Bridge

(6) at 23 St

(R)(W) at 23 St

(F)(M) at 23 St

(1) at 23 St

(C)(E) at 23 St

(1) at 28 St

(1)(2)(3)(A)(C)(E) at Penn Station

(1)(2)(3)(7)(A)(C)(E)(N)(Q)(R)(W)(S) at Times Sq/PABT

(1) at 50 St

(C)(E) at 50 St

(B)(D)(E) at 7 Av

(1)(A)(B)(C)(D) at Columbus Circle

(1) at 66 St

(1)(2)(3) at 72 St

Runs via 60 St to 12 Av

up 12 av to 39 St

39 st to church av to ocean pky

up ocean pky to BQE. exit at atlantic av.

down atlantic to boerum pl.

brooklyn bridge to fdr drive

up fdr to 23 St

up 8 av/down 7 av to 59 st

up bway to 72 st

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2019 at 1:12 PM, Jova42R said:

Why do off-peak /// buses run via the FDR (and albeit downtown), whereas off-peak / buses run local? Also, shouldn't there be an express bus route to Borough Park? it is, after all, a very underserved area. Here is my proposal

I thought I responded to this one.... In any event, part of it is because of demographics and the subway lines and the route from former private bus lines.

Additionally, Borough Park has their own private bus service to Manhattan.  

5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I thought I responded to this one.... In any event, part of it is because of demographics and the subway lines and the route from former private bus lines.

Additionally, Borough Park has their own private bus service to Manhattan.  

Boro Park has service to manhattan? I thought it was only to williamsburg. What company?

22 minutes ago, Jova42R said:

Boro Park has service to manhattan? I thought it was only to williamsburg. What company?

It's the B110 for Williamsburg and Borough Park. I thought there is another bus that goes to Manhattan though... 

https://brokelyn.com/welcome-to-the-magical-mystery-bus-tour/

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It's the B110 for Williamsburg and Borough Park. I thought there is another bus that goes to Manhattan though... 

I believe thats the Monsey Tours/Monroe Bus. They used MCIs like express buses, and I see the men praying in the mornings on it

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

26 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I believe thats the Monsey Tours/Monroe Bus. They used MCIs like express buses, and I see the men praying in the mornings on it

Monsey Trails trips from Borough Park run express to Rockland County after stopping in Williamsburg. They don't make Manhattan stops, or cater towards Manhattan commuters (there's a separate Manhattan service towards Rockland County). 

4 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Monsey Trails trips from Borough Park run express to Rockland County after stopping in Williamsburg. They don't make Manhattan stops, or cater towards Manhattan commuters (there's a separate Manhattan service towards Rockland County). 

So what ever happened to those old white, gold and red buses that I used to see in Midtown? Sounds like a crazy question, but this bus line is so shrouded in secrecy.

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

So what ever happened to those old white, gold and red buses that I used to see in Midtown? Sounds like a crazy question, but this bus line is so shrouded in secrecy.

Those are the old Fairfax Connector buses. They have about 15 of those Orion V buses. The line still shuttles the Jewish workers to the B&H Photo store, but as far as I know, it is not the B110.

2 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

Those are the old Fairfax Connector buses. They have about 15 of those Orion V buses. The line still shuttles the Jewish workers to the B&H Photo store, but as far as I know, it is not the B110.

Yeah I haven't seen one in a while, and I figured they retired them since they are so decrepit. Where does it run to after leaving Midtown?

Latest news:

-The Express Bus Advocacy Group is almost a year old with almost 1,600 members.

-Express bus service is still a work in progress, but we've seen some improvements on a number of lines that had serious issues.

-We've sent our Fair Fares petition to Governor Cuomo to reinstate the monthly pass, senior discount and student discount at all times. The petition garnered over 300 signatures and over 500 likes via social media.

QM24, QM25 and QM34 riders: I just spoke with a DOT rep. via conference call that is involved with the bus lanes project along Fresh Pond Road. If you support the project or know someone in the area of Ridgewood, Middle Village or Glendale that does, please reach out to me either here or in a DM. It is very helpful if members of the community show support for it so that this can be given a chance to see if it can not only improve the service for commuters, but for those in cars as well. Thanks!

@QM1to6Ave @QM17ofTheRockaways @ViaWaterViaChurch @BM5 via Woodhaven

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

QM24, QM25 and QM34 riders: I just spoke with a DOT rep. via conference call that is involved with the bus lanes project along Fresh Pond Road. If you support the project or know someone in the area of Ridgewood, Middle Village or Glendale that does, please reach out to me either here or in a DM. It is very helpful if members of the community show support for it so that this can be given a chance to see if it can not only improve the service for commuters, but for those in cars as well. Thanks!

I don't use these buses anymore since I moved to Whitestone.  I know some residents and business owners are against the bus lane.  From what I had read of the proposal it would be a southbound only lane for PM use.  I think this is a good idea and don't really see much harm in putting this lane in and making it effective from 4pm to 7pm so that express buses and local buses can be quicker during the rush hours.   The PM trips can take 30-45 minutes to get from the first drop off on Eliot Ave and 85th to the last stop in Glendale because of this brutal stretch on Fresh Pond Road. 

I can't really speak for the local buses, but the AM express buses seem to do a good job of sticking to the schedule so I really don't think there's a need for a morning lane.  I think a bus lane active during the week from 4 to 7 that would be parking spots at all other times would be a good compromise between the neighborhood and for bus riders.  How do people even park at these spots during these times anyway on Fresh Pond.  It's such a mess over there at that time.  

29 minutes ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

I don't use these buses anymore since I moved to Whitestone.  I know some residents and business owners are against the bus lane.  From what I had read of the proposal it would be a southbound only lane for PM use.  I think this is a good idea and don't really see much harm in putting this lane in and making it effective from 4pm to 7pm so that express buses and local buses can be quicker during the rush hours.   The PM trips can take 30-45 minutes to get from the first drop off on Eliot Ave and 85th to the last stop in Glendale because of this brutal stretch on Fresh Pond Road. 

I can't really speak for the local buses, but the AM express buses seem to do a good job of sticking to the schedule so I really don't think there's a need for a morning lane.  I think a bus lane active during the week from 4 to 7 that would be parking spots at all other times would be a good compromise between the neighborhood and for bus riders.  How do people even park at these spots during these times anyway on Fresh Pond.  It's such a mess over there at that time.  

I'm dealing with the deputy borough commissioner and we were talking about how this project could impact other things that the DOT wants to do. The lawyer representing the store owners is essentially the same guy that got the M14 bus lanes stopped.  We will reconvene again tomorrow afternoon. He has also saw my comments for the Bronx Express Bus Redesign Network, so he knows I'm quite involved in this whole process, particularly for express bus service.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

8 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That bus lane is sorely needed for that particular rush hour, because that takes up a significant amount of run time on the express buses (AM is much smoother). Those buses crawl on that segment, which not only makes it less time competitive with the (M) , but it also hurts reliability on other trips (if the buses DH back to Manhattan). Every minute saved counts, especially with how little time B.Os may have to get back to Manhattan to do another trip. I'd also argue that the bus lane should start at Flushing Avenue, but it is what it is. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

4 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

That bus lane is sorely needed for that particular rush hour, because that takes up a significant amount of run time on the express buses (AM is much smoother). Those buses crawl on that segment, which not only makes it less time competitive with the (M) , but it also hurts reliability on other trips (if the buses DH back to Manhattan). Every minute saved counts, especially with how little time B.Os may have to get back to Manhattan to do another trip. I'd also argue that the bus lane should start at Flushing Avenue, but it is what it is. 

I'll speak with the DOT rep. again later today and update.