Express Bus Advocacy Group

Via Garibaldi 8

BREAKING: Supreme Court Justice Joseph Esposito has dismissed a lawsuit to block a bus lane along Fresh Pond Rd, which impacts the QM24, QM25 and QM34 lines in Ridgewood.

schwarz-argues-2.jpg?w=800&ssl=1

71698875_10217567997324233_1867195924804

Source: https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2019/09/23/city-finally-wins-ridgewood-bus-lane-is-rational-and-makes-perfect-sense/

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel sorry for any poor soul who is taking the QM2/20 today.  Most of the rush hour buses have been stuck in Midtown for 1-2 hours and haven't even made it to bridge yet.  They ended up conga lining out of the city.  If only the MTA could be more dynamic and just say every bus this week will be a SX to avoid the disaster in Midtown.

12 hours ago, 7-express said:

I feel sorry for any poor soul who is taking the QM2/20 today.  Most of the rush hour buses have been stuck in Midtown for 1-2 hours and haven't even made it to bridge yet.  They ended up conga lining out of the city.  If only the MTA could be more dynamic and just say every bus this week will be a SX to avoid the disaster in Midtown.

Wow, thank god I didn't need to go back to Queens last night. It usually gets better as the UN Assembly week goes on. 

11 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Wow, thank god I didn't need to go back to Queens last night. It usually gets better as the UN Assembly week goes on. 

They didn't do much better today.  I count 7 QM2s meandering through Midtown right now...pretty sure some have been there for 2 hours at this point.  Subway out of the city is the only way to go this week unfortunately.

One wonders why they even try to run them through Midtown in this mess...

It would be a controversial move but I'd cut my losses and just start the Midtown express buses out of the "UN zone" (for lack of a better phrase) instead of these detours. Staten Island and Brooklyn buses would start around 34th or so and then go down, via NJ buses would just pick up at 42nd/8th and then go west and Queens/Bronx buses would start around 57th and go north/east.

Edited by Around the Horn

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

It would be a controversial move but I'd cut my losses and just start the Midtown express buses out of the "UN zone" (for lack of a better phrase) instead of these detours. Staten Island and Brooklyn buses would start around 34th or so and then go down, via NJ buses would just pick up at 42nd/8th and then go west and Queens/Bronx buses would start around 57th and go north/east.

For the SIM buses, they started every 3rd bus at 42nd Street (so only 2/3rds of the buses ran north of 42nd). So the SIM3/10/31 had some trips start at 5th & 41st, the SIM6/11 had some trips start at Lexington & 41st, and the SIM8/8X/25/30 had some trips start at 42nd & 5th (apparently some SIM22/26 trips as well, even though the normal stop is 42nd & Madison). Apparently wait times weren't too long in general (a lot of people said they waited around 15 minutes or so, which is a bit abnormal for most of the routes, but nothing too crazy).

But yeah, for the "via NJ" buses, I think 6th Avenue would be far enough west to avoid most of the chaos (and it also gives you the easier subway connections/more options, instead of having everybody make their way to 8th). For the "via FDR" buses, I heard there was still some traffic around 38th, so maybe 34th would've been better. The Queens/Bronx buses, yeah I think ultimately that would be the best way. Otherwise, you're just dragging them through the whole traffic mess.

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Given how the MTA Bus side just seems to be sending buses into the mess and not doing anything about it, I get the general idea. The problem is, the MTA would somehow implement it wrong. They'll most likely not attempt to even preserve coverage. For the Staten Island, Bronx and Brooklyn express buses, it might be easier, but for the Queens buses, it gets harder, since a lot more territory within Midtown is covered.

Personally, I feel like I would want to preserve as much coverage as possible without hitting too many consistent gridlock spots. You might need to have a special schedule in order to account for these changes.  Also, different Queens routes have varying degrees of activity along 57th Street, so far some (like the QM15), having the route serve 57th Street only can work, but for other routes (QM10, QM12), having such a route would almost guarantee empty buses. If such an approach is taken, it would have to be done on a route by route basis to determine the feasibility of such actions. Some routes pick up more closer to 34th Street, so in theory something serving south of 42nd Street would be more helpful than a route serving 57th Street. If you decide to take the subway, you might as well stay on the subway in some cases. 

6 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Given how the MTA Bus side just seems to be sending buses into the mess and not doing anything about it, I get the general idea. The problem is, the MTA would somehow implement it wrong. They'll most likely not attempt to even preserve coverage. For the Staten Island, Bronx and Brooklyn express buses, it might be easier, but for the Queens buses, it gets harder, since a lot more territory within Midtown is covered.

Personally, I feel like I would want to preserve as much coverage as possible without hitting too many consistent gridlock spots. You might need to have a special schedule in order to account for these changes.  Also, different Queens routes have varying degrees of activity along 57th Street, so far some (like the QM15), having the route serve 57th Street only can work, but for other routes (QM10, QM12), having such a route would almost guarantee empty buses. If such an approach is taken, it would have to be done on a route by route basis to determine the feasibility of such actions. Some routes pick up more closer to 34th Street, so in theory something serving south of 42nd Street would be more helpful than a route serving 57th Street. If you decide to take the subway, you might as well stay on the subway in some cases. 

I'll be taking the express bus back this evening and will report back on conditions. Hopefully not as bad by tonight. 

On 9/23/2019 at 7:53 PM, 7-express said:

Sorry I have not been posting here, but I have been speaking with (MTA) folks on the side and some adjustments have been made to try to improve service. Some SIMs are now starting along 42nd.

BMs are re-routed down Lex to 34th Street and 23rd Street respectively.

Unfortunately the QMs haven't been touched, so they continue to do the Midtown Loop, but 6th Avenue is also a gridlock mess, as is most of Midtown. We have been updating riders in my group with regularly about what to do and I've been updating detour information after confirming with (MTA) folks in my group and online info.

71053132_10217582772773610_8535467534739

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

12 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I have someone in my group who I am trying to reach out to about the QM lines.

I'm on a QM36 right now. IN the city, the 6 Ave buses seem to be a total mess again, but 3rd Ave seems better. I actually had to take the M15 up first Ave right past the UN and, as in past years, it actually wasn't much worse than a regular weekday at this time. Then immediately caught the QM36 at the last stop. Now that we are over the bridge the traffic is perfectly fine (i.e., typical for a weekday rush)

6 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I'm on a QM36 right now. IN the city, the 6 Ave buses seem to be a total mess again, but 3rd Ave seems better. I actually had to take the M15 up first Ave right past the UN and, as in past years, it actually wasn't much worse than a regular weekday at this time. Then immediately caught the QM36 at the last stop. Now that we are over the bridge the traffic is perfectly fine (i.e., typical for a weekday rush)

Yeah.... They have frozen zones in place. My contact is out of College Point, but he is retired. I can still chat with him though.

3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah.... They have frozen zones in place. My contact is out of College Point, but he is retired. I can still chat with him though.

Update: We just picked up a bunch of passengers from a QM5, because two people nearly got into a physical fight on the bus so the B/O pulled over and called police. Apparently the two people actually got off the bus and ran off, but the B/O had to sit and wait for police anyway, it seems. 

6 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Update: We just picked up a bunch of passengers from a QM5, because two people nearly got into a physical fight on the bus so the B/O pulled over and called police. Apparently the two people actually got off the bus and ran off, but the B/O had to sit and wait for police anyway, it seems. 

OMG!! Tempers are definitely up tonight.... In my group people have been waiting for an express bus for almost 40 minutes. LONNNNGGGG lines too. I waited an hour for one the other night because the stupid driver had his door open but wouldn't let us board. I figured, ok fine, another bus is coming... I waited from 6:26 until 7:26!! I took photos and filed a formal complaint and then Tweeted the (MTA) too.  Next time he'll think twice. We couldn't get on, but some guy in plain clothes he lets on out of nowhere, telling us he was an (MTA) employee. Total BS...

EFP5xOFXUAAtqay?format=jpg&name=900x900

71654483_10217569437680241_5721047835869

He was in the same spot shown in the photos, but with his door open, and sat there for several lights. Douche bag... Why not let us on?? You can see where the bus stop is too...

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

OMG!! Tempers are definitely up tonight.... In my group people have been waiting for an express bus for almost 40 minutes. LONNNNGGGG lines too. I waited an hour for one the other night because the stupid driver had his door open but wouldn't let us board. I figured, ok fine, another bus is coming... I waited from 6:26 until 7:26!! I took photos and filed a formal complaint and then Tweeted the (MTA) too.  Next time he'll think twice. We couldn't get on, but some guy in plain clothes he lets on out of nowhere, telling us he was an (MTA) employee. Total BS...

EFP5xOFXUAAtqay?format=jpg&name=900x900

71654483_10217569437680241_5721047835869

THat's ridiculous!!

4 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

THat's ridiculous!!

I couldn't believe it. I went to step on the bus thinking oh he's holding the bus for us how nice of him, only for him to put his hand out and refuse to let me board. He goes, "don't you see the officer right there?" I'm thinking what in the hell does the traffic officer have to do with me getting on, and why is your door open if you aren't accepting passengers? Then as I'm standing there puzzled, some guy in plain clothes comes out of nowhere and he tells me, he's an (MTA) employee.  I'm still standing there in shock.  Should be interesting to see what happens, because quite a few people were pissed when I posted that in the group, and there are plenty of (MTA) eyes looking. They confirmed on Twitter that they got my complaint and would investigate, and apologized that I couldn't board the bus. If he had pulled out it would be one thing, but he sat there in that spot for several lights. Just crazy.

Well I took the QM2 earlier this afternoon and it wasn't that bad.  Seemed the buses were running 10-20 mins late through Lexington/59th but they were moving.

I quickly glanced at BusTime just now and it seems the QM2/20 are actually making it out of the city today but running a bit behind schedule.  Still way better than the conga line that happened over the last 2 days.

They really shouldn't have kept sending buses into the Midtown disaster on Monday and Tuesday.  It reminded me of the 2010 blizzard where they just kept sending buses out even though they would never make out and back.

1 hour ago, 7-express said:

Well I took the QM2 earlier this afternoon and it wasn't that bad.  Seemed the buses were running 10-20 mins late through Lexington/59th but they were moving.

I quickly glanced at BusTime just now and it seems the QM2/20 are actually making it out of the city today but running a bit behind schedule.  Still way better than the conga line that happened over the last 2 days.

They really shouldn't have kept sending buses into the Midtown disaster on Monday and Tuesday.  It reminded me of the 2010 blizzard where they just kept sending buses out even though they would never make out and back.

Yeah, Mon and Tues are always the worst of the UNGA, so they really should know better by now 

I can't complain so far this week.  My 3:45 QM7 has been zooming up the FDR when in past years I remember extensive delays to get to the Midtown Tunnel.  

As a side note, what your guys' opinion on a bus driver who purposely takes a bus that doesn't have a working GPS tracker.  The way this pick worked out, I have the same driver in the morning and at night and he constantly picks the same bus (2824) for all his runs.  He knows the gps tracker doesn't work because multiple people have said things to him over the course of the week and he plays dumb.  He's always on time so I can't complain, but it just seems ridiculous to take the bus out, especially considering he is constantly raising the bus kneel anytime we come to a stop (I guess the right front of the bus will sag down as he's driving?)

3 hours ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

I can't complain so far this week.  My 3:45 QM7 has been zooming up the FDR when in past years I remember extensive delays to get to the Midtown Tunnel.  

As a side note, what your guys' opinion on a bus driver who purposely takes a bus that doesn't have a working GPS tracker.  The way this pick worked out, I have the same driver in the morning and at night and he constantly picks the same bus (2824) for all his runs.  He knows the gps tracker doesn't work because multiple people have said things to him over the course of the week and he plays dumb.  He's always on time so I can't complain, but it just seems ridiculous to take the bus out, especially considering he is constantly raising the bus kneel anytime we come to a stop (I guess the right front of the bus will sag down as he's driving?)

That would drive me crazy, especially since it is one of the old ass buses. Is this an older B/O who has been around a long time?

17 hours ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

The trackers should be working on the bus. I will post the bus# in my group.

15 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

That would drive me crazy, especially since it is one of the old ass buses. Is this an older B/O who has been around a long time?

I saw your post in the Facebook group. I appreciate it. He’s an older white guy, definitely seems like he’s had some time on. He does the 6:55am and 3:45pm QM7 runs. 

My wife took him this morning and said he used another bus with a working GPS, 31XX I think. We’ll see what happens this afternoon. 

While I’m on a hot streak, what’s the process for alerting MTA to looking at schedule changes. I remember talking with 7-express about the 5:45am Qm2/20 runs being packed and how they would benefit from an earlier bus. I know that he’ll would have freeze over before the MTA added another bus, but what about playing with the start times to shift the first few buses 20 minutes apart instead of 15 minutes. This way you’d have a 5:30, a 5:50, a 6:10, a 6:30, and then resume the regular schedule instead of 5:45, 6:00, 6:15, and 6:30. I took the QM2 this morning and I think all of only 2 seats were filled.

7 minutes ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

I saw your post in the Facebook group. I appreciate it. He’s an older white guy, definitely seems like he’s had some time on. He does the 6:55am and 3:45pm QM7 runs. 

My wife took him this morning and said he used another bus with a working GPS, 31XX I think. We’ll see what happens this afternoon. 

While I’m on a hot streak, what’s the process for alerting MTA to looking at schedule changes. I remember talking with 7-express about the 5:45am Qm2/20 runs being packed and how they would benefit from an earlier bus. I know that he’ll would have freeze over before the MTA added another bus, but what about playing with the start times to shift the first few buses 20 minutes apart instead of 15 minutes. This way you’d have a 5:30, a 5:50, a 6:10, a 6:30, and then resume the regular schedule instead of 5:45, 6:00, 6:15, and 6:30. I took the QM2 this morning and I think all of only 2 seats were filled.

Crowded is not standing though.  That's what would have to happen.  The QM5 got the 5:10 trip because it was standing room only on the first 5:30 bus, so they shifted some trips around and basically cut back on service during the 6 am hour, thus keeping the change cost neutral.  If there is crowding on the earlier buses, please let me know which ones and which lines, and I will have it looked into.

It was the same thing with the BxM8. They look at the Metrocard swipes. That's how they can tell if there is ongoing overcrowding.  With the BxM8, they sent out someone to tell passengers that they knew about the overcrowding, and they were adjusting the schedule to add an earlier bus, so they cut a later bus to create a 5:30 trip, making it cost neutral.