Express Bus Advocacy Group

Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

I saw your post in the Facebook group. I appreciate it. He’s an older white guy, definitely seems like he’s had some time on. He does the 6:55am and 3:45pm QM7 runs. 

My wife took him this morning and said he used another bus with a working GPS, 31XX I think. We’ll see what happens this afternoon. 

While I’m on a hot streak, what’s the process for alerting MTA to looking at schedule changes. I remember talking with 7-express about the 5:45am Qm2/20 runs being packed and how they would benefit from an earlier bus. I know that he’ll would have freeze over before the MTA added another bus, but what about playing with the start times to shift the first few buses 20 minutes apart instead of 15 minutes. This way you’d have a 5:30, a 5:50, a 6:10, a 6:30, and then resume the regular schedule instead of 5:45, 6:00, 6:15, and 6:30. I took the QM2 this morning and I think all of only 2 seats were filled.

A cost neutral schedule adjustment like that would be a good idea if the MTA can implement it.  It's not standing room on these buses but many if not most two-seaters are taken up on these buses.  People just don't work 9-5 schedules anymore and schedules should be adjust to reflect that and service the early commuters.

This afternoon's rush was pretty normal for the first time this week.  My QM20 showed up on time with no issues.  Traffic enforcement is still beefed up and they have 2-3 traffic agents at multiple intersections along 59th Street so that definitely helped keep things going.  I just wish the drivers would stop taking 59th and take the 57th/Madison shortcut.  It seems to be happening less often with this pick.

3 hours ago, 7-express said:

This afternoon's rush was pretty normal for the first time this week.  My QM20 showed up on time with no issues.  Traffic enforcement is still beefed up and they have 2-3 traffic agents at multiple intersections along 59th Street so that definitely helped keep things going.  I just wish the drivers would stop taking 59th and take the 57th/Madison shortcut.  It seems to be happening less often with this pick.

What seems to be happening less?

3 hours ago, 7-express said:

Agreed, traffic was flowing reasonably well in rhe city. Queens Blvd was worse than the city lol. 

15 hours ago, 7-express said:

A cost neutral schedule adjustment like that would be a good idea if the MTA can implement it.  It's not standing room on these buses but many if not most two-seaters are taken up on these buses.  People just don't work 9-5 schedules anymore and schedules should be adjust to reflect that and service the early commuters.

You've been going on about this ad nauseam.  If it bothers that much, you should speak with your elected officials about it. That's what they're there for.

1 hour ago, 7-express said:

Taking the 57th/Madison shortcut even though it's official on the maps.  Seems like half the drivers keep on going down 59th.

I need to look into that and see how service has been in general. I will be going to Queens regularly now with the QM5 and QM6, but I used the QM2 a few weekends ago, and the trip took forever going to Whitestone. We took 59th Street over and it took a while.

4 hours ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

Just got on the 3:45pm QM2 heading back to Whitestone. This bus must be on loan from LaGuardia, 3303.  We’re turning onto 59th Street from 6th.

Same thing occurred with the 1600 QM20 today.  Traffic wasn't too terrible today so it didn't cost too much in the way of time and they stayed more or less on schedule.

1 hour ago, 78 via Stew Leonards said:

Lex is just as bad but 2nd isnt terrible. 5th is the worst of them all in Harlem though.

They're all bad, and 2nd is pretty bad too.  I assume you're referring to the BxM1.  We've used all of them over the years, and 5th can great some days and bad other days.  2nd can be slammed at times.  It's a little better now with the SAS project complete, but we've been stuck over there plenty of times in the past.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

And what's the alternative? Second isn't any better, and neither is Lex.

2nd Avenue is good enough that some BxM6/7/8/9/10 buses stay on 2nd all the way to 86th (the old way) to avoid some of the mess on 5th.

Then again, they don’t have to stop anywhere between 125th and 86th... If they ever add the 5th Av/98th St stop to the ECH routes that little trick will be dead.

1 minute ago, paulrivera said:

2nd Avenue is good enough that some BxM6/7/8/9/10 buses stay on 2nd all the way to 86th (the old way) to avoid some of the mess on 5th.

Then again, they don’t have to stop anywhere between 125th and 86th... If they ever add the 5th Av/98th St stop to the ECH routes that little trick will be dead.

Yeah 2nd is fine off-peak and weekends. We're talking about rush hour in this case.  

------

-A few updates:

We have a lot more BxM4 riders in the group. They are all aware of the proposal to eliminate the BxM4 south of Woodlawn. A petition was already circulated and sent to an elected official. We'll now await the draft plan that should be released October 15th and go from there.

28 minutes ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

Shouldn't be much longer that we'll get the finalized Bronx Redesigns. I'm curious to see if the MTA has made any changes.

Queens is up next... I can tell you that there was a lot of negative feedback about the proposed Bronx express bus changes, so we shall see how things go.

What a disaster on the QM5/6 today...I waited for the 12:30 pm QM6 at 36th anf 6th, which showed up at 1:10 pm along with the 1 pm QM5. The B/O wasted another 5 mins playing with the destination sign that he didn't seem to know how to program. He got super defensive when I asked him "are you the QM6 running 40 minutes late?" Then it took forever to get out of the city because of some parade, for which there was no notification until about 4:40 pm when the MTA sent out a message about heavy traffic.

8 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

What a disaster on the QM5/6 today...I waited for the 12:30 pm QM6 at 36th anf 6th, which showed up at 1:10 pm along with the 1 pm QM5. The B/O wasted another 5 mins playing with the destination sign that he didn't seem to know how to program. He got super defensive when I asked him "are you the QM6 running 40 minutes late?" Then it took forever to get out of the city because of some parade, for which there was no notification until about 4:40 pm when the MTA sent out a message about heavy traffic.

Yeah the Pulaski Day Parade was yesterday, so quite a few express buses were delayed. We had a notice in our group about it in fact. People were complaining about the SIM express buses being delayed. I eventually cam into the City, but stayed away from the parade area.

Latest updates:

-We continue to monitor day-to-day issues facing express bus riders.  Please let us know the following:

-Buses that are not on BusTime. We recently got Bus#2824 on BusTime. We have received numerous complaints about that bus not being trackable, as it is an older bus. It is now on BusTime.

-Buses without Wi-Fi. Provide the Bus#, date and time.

-We continue to circulate our "Fair Fares" petition to get our monthly pass re-instated, as well as the senior discount and the student discount. Our request remains open. I spoke with a rep. from Governor Cuomo's office this morning to try to get this expedited, or at least get an answer as to what can move this along.  For those that have not signed, it's important that you do and that you share the petition as well. We have over 550 likes and almost 400 signatures! https://www.gopetition.com/petitions/fair-fares-for-express-bus-riders.html?fbclid=IwAR03pho_ZiqWU8DWqSUyvtW1qJL-g50sd5h-zAKLRGvYgzuqlTfnKSuZ0IQ

-Missing buses. If your bus is missing and continues to be a problem, please file formal complaints, and provide us with the complaint # and the bus line and date and time that the bus went missing, along with which direction. https://new.mta.info/customer-feedback

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

8 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Latest updates:

-We continue to monitor day-to-day issues facing express bus riders.  Please let us know the following:

-Buses that are not on BusTime. We recently got Bus#2824 on BusTime. We have received numerous complaints about that bus not being trackable, as it is an older bus. It is now on BusTime.

-Buses without Wi-Fi. Provide the Bus#, date and time.

-We continue to circulate our "Fair Fares" petition to get our monthly pass re-instated, as well as the senior discount and the student discount. Our request remains open. I spoke with a rep. from Governor Cuomo's office this morning to try to get this expedited, or at least get an answer as to what can move this along.  For those that have not signed, it's important that you do and that you share the petition as well. We have over 550 likes and almost 400 signatures! https://www.gopetition.com/petitions/fair-fares-for-express-bus-riders.html?fbclid=IwAR03pho_ZiqWU8DWqSUyvtW1qJL-g50sd5h-zAKLRGvYgzuqlTfnKSuZ0IQ

-Missing buses. If your bus is missing and continues to be a problem, please file formal complaints, and provide us with the complaint # and the bus line and date and time that the bus went missing, along with which direction. https://new.mta.info/customer-feedback

Not sure if this is what you are referring to, but all CP buses numbered 3000-3124 do not have WiFi installed. Haven't had too many issues as of late with the wifi just not working on buses in which it is installed.