Express Bus Advocacy Group

Via Garibaldi 8

11 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Who knew there were still so many armored trucks roaming around! I thought with all the electronic money-exchanging that happens now, these trucks were nearly a thing of the past lOL. 

They're on 5th Avenue almost every morning doing drop-offs.  I don't know what it is but their presence seems to have increased over time. Didn't notice them so much before...

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've heard one too many stories of disabled passengers either being discriminated against by the drivers and/or ignorant passengers, or both, or the wheelchair lifts breaking or drivers not knowing how to operate them. It is something that sadly continues even in 2019.  This is a recent example below from a wheelchair X27/X28 rider in our group, who also advocates for disabled people with her own organization:

Last night, Sunday, October 20, 2019, I was waiting in the rain at 23rd and Broadway for the x27 or x28, whichever came first. I use a wheelchair. One other passenger was waiting and asked me which bus I was waiting for. "Did you call ahead?" she asked. "You need to call ahead." I nicely told her I didn't have to call ahead. "Did you call ahead?" I added. "Of course not," I said, "because no one has to call ahead." (Anyway, who would I call?! I can see it now -- warning - wheelchair getting on your bus. Be ready.) I told her I didn't know when my meeting would be over or what bus would show up. I can take either the 27 or 28. None are close to me. She told me someone calls ahead so they know to get the seats moved.

At 6:08 pm the X28 shows up. Bus #2482, woman driver. I go to the door and tell her I want to take this bus. The driver says, "Did you call? You have to call." I told her no, I didn't call and didn't have to call. "Well, I could have prepared the seats for you ahead of time." (Meaning - If you believe this, I won't have to be bothered taking you and if you know better, I'm letting you know you're a nuisance.)

At the lift she told me that recently 2 passengers in wheelchairs couldn't get on because the lifts weren't recycled. I highly doubt that was the problem because I had to tell her half the things to do to work the lift. I told her to put the right railing flush at first (because it wasn't), put the safety strap into the other side, and when to open the door even though there is an instructional sign next to the lock. She asked me.

Inside the bus, I locked the red seat locks so the seats wouldn't slide and bang against me. Otherwise my trip was uneventful. I overheard her telling a passenger up in front that the low floor bus was tested and everyone complained about it. Well, it would actually be a way we could get on the bus without being told to call ahead or have to teach the drivers their job.

I don't take the express bus if I have any other good alternative because I never know if I'll be able to get on and what I'll have to go through to ride.

-In other news, we are now on Twitter under "@bus_group" or "Express Bus Advocacy Group".

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Buried in the board meeting notes for this month was the express bus award to Prevost for 250ish express buses.  The only crappy part is the timeline.  Demo buses will arrive next year but the bulk of the orders are not due till the 21/22 time frame.  Going to be another few years with these aging MCIs.

3 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

https://thecity.nyc/2019/09/staten-islands-wait-for-private-bus-alternative-grows.html

I may be a few weeks late with this but per this link the SIM23 and 24 renewed for additional year of hell. I think this is something you gotta look into @Via Garibaldi 8

I already have.  Staten Island elected officials met with both Academy and the (MTA) about these lines a while back. The issue is the logistics. Oddo, et al want the (MTA) to take over the lines. Some riders don't like the idea and fear that the service will be even worse than it is now. Others welcome it.  Ultimately the issue is working out the logistics. Where do the buses come from? Staten Island already has a bus shortage problem as it is. I think that's one reason they extended the contract to one year. This gives the (MTA) time to get more buses (new buses should start coming in 2020 - hopefully or 2021).

10 minutes ago, BM1 Rider said:

The Brooklyn bound 11 pm BM1 has been just horrendous for the past few months. The driver starts the route 15-20 minutes late, every single night. I've complained numerous times, but well, we all know this does nothing. So frustrating.

Who have you complained to and how?

• 3 weeks later...

Latest updates:

-Next meeting with the (MTA) is now scheduled.

-Topics include the Bronx Express Bus Redesign, payment issues with the fare box, and bus stop/bus shelter requests, and service issues.  If you have service issues, please post them in the next few days and we will review them.  Be sure to include the route # and roughly a time when you have had issues.

Bus bunching on the Bx36 and Bx39, can happen anytime of day, middays, rush hours, even weekends. The lack of late night service on the Bx5 is another issue that should be brought up. MTA even proposed it in 2007. Bx39 service to/from Clason Point should be extended to at least 1am 7 days a week.

Edited by GreatOne2k

1 hour ago, GreatOne2k said:

Bus bunching on the Bx36 and Bx39, can happen anytime of day, middays, rush hours, even weekends. The lack of late night service on the Bx5 is another issue that should be brought up. MTA even proposed it in 2007. Bx39 service to/from Clason Point should be extended to at least 1am 7 days a week.

Uhhhhhh.... My advocacy group doesn't cover local buses, hence why the thread is named "Express Bus Advocacy Group" which is the name of the group... <_< What isn't clear about that??

@QM1to6Ave As you know, QM1 service at night has been MUCH better. The only trips that go missing now have been when they turn a QM1 into a QM5. Those trips are supposed to run via Fresh Meadows. The only issue I’ve seen is some QM1s disappearing from BusTime. We’ll have some planners in the meeting to see if that can be looked into. Will update you after the meeting.

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

@QM1to6Ave As you know, QM1 service at night has been MUCH better. The only trips that go missing now have been when they turn a QM1 into a QM5. Those trips are supposed to run via Fresh Meadows. The only issue I’ve seen is some QM1s disappearing from BusTime. We’ll have some planners in the meeting to see if that can be looked into. Will update you after the meeting.

I wonder what the redesign will bring for the QM1.  If they're looking to cut service, they'll probably chop these runs to 2 or 3 hours peak and expand QM5s to run via Fresh Meadows.

10 minutes ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

I wonder what the redesign will bring for the QM1.  If they're looking to cut service, they'll probably chop these runs to 2 or 3 hours peak and expand QM5s to run via Fresh Meadows.

There isn’t much to cut, but we’ll be involved in the Queens and Brooklyn ones as well. We were talking via conference call the other day about Queens in fact, as you guys are up next, and we have a lot of QM riders in the group. I haven’t had a chance to read the Queens report, but I believe it is out. I’ll give it a skim when I have a chance. I think they are going to cut a lot in Queens though, so it will be another fight. They already scaled back the QM1 to rush hours only. 

On 11/9/2019 at 10:29 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

There isn’t much to cut, but we’ll be involved in the Queens and Brooklyn ones as well. We were talking via conference call the other day about Queens in fact, as you guys are up next, and we have a lot of QM riders in the group. I haven’t had a chance to read the Queens report, but I believe it is out. I’ll give it a skim when I have a chance. I think they are going to cut a lot in Queens though, so it will be another fight. They already scaled back the QM1 to rush hours only. 

The remaining QM1s all get solid ridership so they should not cut them,  but I am really worried about off peak express service cuts. My schedule changed this year and now I'm using a lot of "first" and "last" buses (e.g., first QM6 to Queens on Weekdays, first QM6 to Manhattan on Sundays, last QM5 to Manhattan) and these runs all get surprisingly good ridership, but I bet they try to cut them anyway. 

7 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

The remaining QM1s all get solid ridership so they should not cut them,  but I am really worried about off peak express service cuts. My schedule changed this year and now I'm using a lot of "first" and "last" buses (e.g., first QM6 to Queens on Weekdays, first QM6 to Manhattan on Sundays, last QM5 to Manhattan) and these runs all get surprisingly good ridership, but I bet they try to cut them anyway. 

The thing that sucks is that unlike the proposed Bronx cuts, you can't make the argument that running the buses both inbound and outbound will be virtually similar in runtime as deadheading them, because of the route and run structures. Of course, that doesn't justify cutting service, but I don't have any faith in them maintaining existing service levels. If they did that nonsense to the Bronx, we're gonna have to all be ready to call out everyone (including any of our politicians who turn a blind eye to three things).

39 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The thing that sucks is that unlike the proposed Bronx cuts, you can't make the argument that running the buses both inbound and outbound will be virtually similar in runtime as deadheading them, because of the route and run structures. Of course, that doesn't justify cutting service, but I don't have any faith in them maintaining existing service levels. If they did that nonsense to the Bronx, we're gonna have to all be ready to call out everyone (including any of our politicians who turn a blind eye to three things).

Just remember that these are proposals. My contact has said that several times. They will present what revisions they are planning in person, so this is far from over. In other words, they are getting so much negative press that they are already looking go see how they can revise this. There was a lot that was on the table to be cut for the local buses that has been put back the way that it was originally.

Latest news:

- Met with the (MTA) this morning regarding express bus service and the Bronx express bus proposals.

-It has been stressed that these are proposals and that they have received A LOT of feedback about several of them and they are trying to see how they can address some of them.

- We made it clear that the spans are not acceptable. The (MTA) continues to argue that they cannot run empty buses and that the ridership isn’t there to justify the service.

-We argued that service is poor during off-peak periods and that discounts should be offered to entice people to ride more.

-We will be providing feedback in writing as well.

-Other topics covered:

-BusTime and Wi-Fi: If you cannot use WiFi, they would like to know the bus# and they will look into it. Same goes with BusTime.

-Customers who are being overcharged... The Metrocard is dated technology, and so currently, there is no fix to splitting up payments so that customers are charged no more than $6.75. I hope to have more particulars on this as they continue to investigate, but I can confirm that OMNY will allow such a set up and the plan is to have it fully implemented on express buses by late next year.

-Bus stops and bus shelters are still being looked at.

-Discussed particular trips that have been problematic.

-We have an interview lending with Bronx News 12.

Moreto come...

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Latest news:

- Met with the (MTA) this morning regarding express bus service and the Bronx express bus proposals.

-It has been stressed that these are proposals and that they have received A LOT of feedback about several of them and they are trying to see how they can address some of them.

- We made it clear that the spans are not acceptable. The (MTA) continues to argue that they cannot run empty buses and that the ridership isn’t there to justify the service.

-We argued that service is poor during off-peak periods and that discounts should be offered to entice people to ride more.

-We will be providing feedback in writing as well.

-Other topics covered:

-BusTime and Wi-Fi: If you cannot use WiFi, they would like to know the bus# and they will look into it. Same goes with BusTime.

-Customers who are being overcharged... The Metrocard is dated technology, and so currently, there is no fix to splitting up payments so that customers are charged no more than $6.75. I hope to have more particulars on this as they continue to investigate, but I can confirm that OMNY will allow such a set up and the plan is to have it fully implemented on express buses by late next year.

-Bus stops and bus shelters are still being looked at.

-Discussed particular trips that have been problematic.

-We have an interview lending with Bronx News 12.

Moreto come...

That should be pending, not lending.