Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Via Garibaldi 8

Express Bus Advocacy Group

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You think? They pretty much gutted weekend service almost entirely. There is NO Sunday express bus service anywhere in Queens! None!! No more QM3 at all!! Then they provide this rindy dink Downtown service, with some lines have THREE trips!! Worthless!! The Middle Village/Glendale split really is stupid.  They split up the QM25 and have it serving Brooklyn, where there is already subway service and put an express bus on Grand Av.  Talk about stupid... 

With these cuts and new frequencies, it seems very clear that the MTA wants to turn these buses into peak commuter buses only.  I don't understand how you can have 1 hour headways between 4 and 5pm for a lot of these buses.  And what happens when a run goes missing?  Do these people now have to wait for a 5pm bus in the middle of rush hour?

The good news is, there won't be too many more missing trips, because these new runs are going to take so long that B/Os won't have the time to deadhead back to the city for a 2nd PM trip.

I know for a fact that Middle Village and Glendale will be going crazy over the loss of service and the loss of some of their friends from Glendale and Fresh Pond due to the route split. People need to start screaming and hollering over the new QM25 route over there.  Taking the bus off the LIE and FDR to put it on local roads that have lots of traffic on them make no sense.  The idea to put stops in Williamsburg make no sense either.  That area is filled with young people who live with 4 roommates to split a $3500 rent, they move there specifically for how cool it is and how close it is to the L train, these people aren't working 9 to 5 jobs on Wall Street and they don't have disposable income to be getting on an express bus that will take longer to get to the city from where they are already.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

With these cuts and new frequencies, it seems very clear that the MTA wants to turn these buses into peak commuter buses only.  I don't understand how you can have 1 hour headways between 4 and 5pm for a lot of these buses.  And what happens when a run goes missing?  Do these people now have to wait for a 5pm bus in the middle of rush hour?

The good news is, there won't be too many more missing trips, because these new runs are going to take so long that B/Os won't have the time to deadhead back to the city for a 2nd PM trip.

I know for a fact that Middle Village and Glendale will be going crazy over the loss of service and the loss of some of their friends from Glendale and Fresh Pond due to the route split. People need to start screaming and hollering over the new QM25 route over there.  Taking the bus off the LIE and FDR to put it on local roads that have lots of traffic on them make no sense.  The idea to put stops in Williamsburg make no sense either.  That area is filled with young people who live with 4 roommates to split a $3500 rent, they move there specifically for how cool it is and how close it is to the L train, these people aren't working 9 to 5 jobs on Wall Street and they don't have disposable income to be getting on an express bus that will take longer to get to the city from where they are already.

That's what  said and who in the hell uses Grand Av to for express bus service? I just don't get any of that... We'll come up with a flier the way that we did for the Bronx and start outreach ASAP.  The whole thing is outrageous.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That's what  said and who in the hell uses Grand Av to for express bus service? I just don't get any of that... We'll come up with a flier the way that we did for the Bronx and start outreach ASAP.  The whole thing is outrageous.

Let me know whatever steps you and the group take. I want to reach out to my elected officials, but when I've done that in the past, it amounted to zilch. 

4 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Let me know whatever steps you and the group take. I want to reach out to my elected officials, but when I've done that in the past, it amounted to zilch. 

Yes it has to be a big effort. It was very successful in the Bronx. The MTA basically told me they weren’t going to leave me along until I came in to meet because people they were getting so many complaints about the redesign proposals. We have a lot of Queens riders so hopefully we can get the same kind of turn out. It’s a question of who to contact as well.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jova42R said:

In the Queens redesign, what will be the extent of weekend express bus service?

Basically none. Some Saturday service on some lines, no Sunday service at all from what I can tell (someone please correct me if I am wrong like I hope I am)

5 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Basically none. Some Saturday service on some lines, no Sunday service at all from what I can tell (someone please correct me if I am wrong like I hope I am)

Looking at the remix website, only the route resembling the QM4 has 7 days a week, with some 6 days (162-168 I believe)

18 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Unfortunately, you are right.

12 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Looking at the remix website, only the route resembling the QM4 has 7 days a week, with some 6 days (162-168 I believe)

The QM4 (new QM162) is a confusing one. The remix map indicates daily service, the MTA website indicates peak only service.

The QM5 and QM6 off peak service will be eliminated and be will be partially replaced by the Fresh Meadows express bus (QM166) middays, Saturdays in both directions, evenings outbound only). This is the worst one of the express bus cuts. 

The QM2 (new QM164) will have Saturday service, will no longer serve Beechurst or Parsons Boulevard. Evening inbound service and early AM service on weekdays will be cut. 

The QM15 (new QM168) will be extended to 163rd Avenue, and retains most Saturday service. The last Saturday inbound and outbound trip will be discontinued, as well as all PM rush inbound service and early midday outbound service on weekdays.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

On 1/12/2020 at 8:48 PM, Jova42R said:

In the Queens redesign, what will be the extent of weekend express bus service?

On 1/12/2020 at 9:58 PM, QM1to6Ave said:

On 1/12/2020 at 10:04 PM, MysteriousBtrain said:

On 1/12/2020 at 10:16 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Unfortunately, you are right.

The QM4 (new QM162) is a confusing one. The remix map indicates daily service, the MTA website indicates peak only service.

The QM5 and QM6 off peak service will be eliminated and be will be partially replaced by the Fresh Meadows express bus (QM166) middays, Saturdays in both directions, evenings outbound only). This is the worst one of the express bus cuts. 

The QM2 (new QM164) will have Saturday service, will no longer serve Beechhurst or Parsons Boulevard. Evening inbound service and early AM service on weekdays will be cut. 

The QM15 (new QM168) will be extended to 163rd Avenue, and retains most Saturday service. The last Saturday inbound and outbound trip will be discontinued, as well as all PM rush inbound service and early midday outbound service on weekdays.

Sorry for the delayed response.  We've been busy advocating and focusing on a number of pressing issues.

Currently, there would be NO Sunday express bus service anywhere in Queens.  The (MTA) claims that Sunday ridership is so low that no service is justified, which is absolutely absurd.  I have used Sunday service, and there is DEFINITELY ridership on lines like the QM2, QM5 and QM6. Even the QM4 gets riders on some trips.  Saturday express bus service would also be curtailed.

The big one is how early outbound service would end... 09:30PM to Queens!!! Unacceptable!!!

-What have we been doing?

-Circulating our fliers to protest the proposed express bus cuts in Queens. We have fliers for the following lines thus far:

-QM1, QM3, QM4, QM5, QM6, QM7, QM8, QM31, QM35, QM36, QM44

-QM2, QM20, QM32

-Outreach to large housing developments via social media such as the North Shore Towers, Baybridge Condo and Le Havre, which would see huge losses in express bus service, and potential declines in property values as a result. This has resulted in our fliers being circulated to various express bus riders about the proposed cuts, including some board members, who are furious about the cuts and have began contacting their elected officials. We also have more media now joining our group to report on these proposed service cuts, so our goal is to push to rescind these cuts. We've also been tweeting Queens elected officials, who are already meeting with the (MTA) about the plan and some have raised concerns about the service cuts and now follow us.  

This a meeting today with numerous Queens elected officials:

81684223_10218592988868381_2437767967706

Additionally, we continue to monitor express bus service. We have seen improvements on a number of express bus lines after contacting elected officials on lines such as the BM1, BM2, BM3, BM4, and the QM1 and QM21 have also been much better as a result of our advocacy.

Furthermore, we are still working to improve bus stop conditions and have reached out to the DOT at some locations to address signage issues such as these two stops below:

82071285_10218584863625255_7900134205420

82501489_10218584863865261_1375088154100

More to come...

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Sorry for the delayed response.  We've been busy advocating and focusing on a number of pressing issues.

Currently, there would be NO Sunday express bus service anywhere in Queens.  The (MTA) claims that Sunday ridership is so low that no service is justified, which is absolutely absurd.  I have used Sunday service, and there is DEFINITELY ridership on lines like the QM2, QM5 and QM6. Even the QM4 gets riders on some trips.  Saturday express bus service would also be curtailed.

The big one is how early outbound service would end... 09:30PM to Queens!!! Unacceptable!!!

-What have we been doing?

-Circulating our fliers to protest the proposed express bus cuts in Queens. We have fliers for the following lines thus far:

-QM1, QM3, QM4, QM5, QM6, QM7, QM8, QM31, QM35, QM36, QM44

-QM2, QM20, QM32

-Outreach to large housing developments via social media such as the North Shore Towers, Baybridge Condo and Le Havre, which would see huge losses in express bus service, and potential declines in property values as a result. This has resulted in our fliers being circulated to various express bus riders about the proposed cuts, including some board members, who are furious about the cuts and have began contacting their elected officials. We also have more media now joining our group to report on these proposed service cuts, so our goal is to push to rescind these cuts. We've also been tweeting Queens elected officials, who are already meeting with the (MTA) about the plan and some have raised concerns about the service cuts and now follow us.  

This a meeting today with numerous Queens elected officials:

81684223_10218592988868381_2437767967706

Additionally, we continue to monitor express bus service. We have seen improvements on a number of express bus lines after contacting elected officials on lines such as the BM1, BM2, BM3, BM4, and the QM1 and QM21 have also been much better as a result of our advocacy.

Furthermore, we are still working to improve bus stop conditions and have reached out to the DOT at some locations to address signage issues such as these two stops below:

82071285_10218584863625255_7900134205420

82501489_10218584863865261_1375088154100

More to come...

Fantastic!! I'm glad to see that some of the officials I emailed about the proposed cuts were at that meeting, and I hope gave Byford hell!

• Upvote 2

MTA bus redesign proposal means service cutbacks for express bus riders in Bayside and Whitestone

MTA_LIE_05.jpg

Photo via Wikimedia Commons

The QM32

By Jenna Bagcal / jbagcal@qns.com / Wednesday, January 15, 2020 / 11:30 AM

Residents in Bayside and Whitestone may soon see severe cutbacks in express bus service to Manhattan following the MTA’s recent bus redesign proposal.

The affected buses include the QM2, QM32 and QM20 lines which the MTA name the QMT163 under the new plan. The route would operate between Beechhurst in Queens and Sixth Avenue in Manhattan. But express bus riders said that this new route reduces and eliminates service to areas it previously serviced.

According to a flier created by the Vittorio Bugatti, founder of the Express Bus Advocacy Group on Facebook, the following is how the QMT163 affects Queens riders:

-Severe cuts to off-peak service, including no express bus service on Sundays, and no express bus service in Mitchell Gardens on weekends

-Eliminating all Third Avenue service to Powells Cove Boulevard/Le Havre

-Eliminating all Midtown express bus service along Utopia Parkway in Whitestone and 26th Avenue in Bayside

-Eliminating all Super Express trips on the QM2 and QM20 despite good ridership and saving riders 15 to 30 minutes over regular QM2 and QM20 service

-Service cuts to rush-hour service

MTA data from 2018 showed that the QM2 and QM32 saw an average weekday ridership of 1,690 people while the QM20 served an average of 1,025 every weekday, making these lines the fourth and eleventh most popular bus routes run by the MTA Bus Company.

The agency unveiled the draft proposal at the end of December and called on the community to provide feedback at a series of public workshops across Queens. But residents and politicians complained that eastern Queens residents were once again left out of the transportation discussion since the MTA failed to schedule workshops in neighborhoods like Bayside and Whitestone.

“In northeast #Queens, where there is no subway access and limited public transportation options for commuters, the MTA should be increasing and improving bus service, not creating a more desolate transportation desert. We deserve a seat at the table,” said Councilman Paul Vallone on Twitter in response to a Patch story on this issue.

The Express Bus Advocacy Group flier encouraged bus riders to reach out to local politicians like Grodenchik, Vallone, Assemblymen Ed Braunstein and Ron Kim and Senator John Liu to make them aware of the need for the express buses.

Source: https://qns.com/story/2020/01/15/mta-bus-redesign-proposal-means-service-cutbacks-for-express-bus-riders-in-bayside-and-whitestone/?fbclid=IwAR3jlCi5Tp4Xi8XMTSHbZ7YjJC3Y7luF9hQlZ1zRHIibHLgc9ohCf-iNqfU

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8
  • Upvote 1

It looks like the tide is swelling in Northeast Queens.  Cuts to service spans like the ones proposed are outrageous.  What's the logic in curtailing Union Turnpike buses to as far as 188th Street on Saturdays?  Wouldn't it just make more sense to run the QM6 or a modified combined version of the QM5 and QM6 on weekends so that service can continue for people who live in Glen Oaks, Oakland Gardens, and Lake Success? 

I see that there is now a delay on Bronx implementation which is great news for those residents.  My only concern is that all of this noise in Queens is going to just blow up the entire express bus redesign altogether.  I like the majority of the proposed routes and think they'll expand service to areas that need it and speed up commutes for people with some tweaking, but the cuts themselves are egregious and the MTA needs to know that it's NOT okay to turn these buses into commuter only peak service.  Even the spread of service seems strange in that the majority of service is early in the morning to get people to work before 8am and the majority of service to get people back to Queens really picks up at 5:30pm. Meanwhile I consistently see 3:30 and 4pm buses that have adequate ridership on lines like the QM7 and the QM25, it really boggles my mind why they think it's okay to slash service the way they did.

1 hour ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

It looks like the tide is swelling in Northeast Queens.  Cuts to service spans like the ones proposed are outrageous.  What's the logic in curtailing Union Turnpike buses to as far as 188th Street on Saturdays?  Wouldn't it just make more sense to run the QM6 or a modified combined version of the QM5 and QM6 on weekends so that service can continue for people who live in Glen Oaks, Oakland Gardens, and Lake Success? 

I see that there is now a delay on Bronx implementation which is great news for those residents.  My only concern is that all of this noise in Queens is going to just blow up the entire express bus redesign altogether.  I like the majority of the proposed routes and think they'll expand service to areas that need it and speed up commutes for people with some tweaking, but the cuts themselves are egregious and the MTA needs to know that it's NOT okay to turn these buses into commuter only peak service.  Even the spread of service seems strange in that the majority of service is early in the morning to get people to work before 8am and the majority of service to get people back to Queens really picks up at 5:30pm. Meanwhile I consistently see 3:30 and 4pm buses that have adequate ridership on lines like the QM7 and the QM25, it really boggles my mind why they think it's okay to slash service the way they did.

Oh believe me, it is not over. I have a bunch of QM3 riders joining my group that are FURIOUS! I said I was going to raise hell when they started screwing with my service, and they didn’t take me seriously. Well I bet they do now...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Oh believe me, it is not over. I have a bunch of QM3 riders joining my group that are FURIOUS! I said I was going to raise hell when they started screwing with my service, and they didn’t take me seriously. Well I bet they do now...

If anything you would think they would try to attract more ridership by expanding service to Wall Street or 3rd Avenue because that's how you can peel away some riders who take the LIRR.  I bet there would be more people willing to take a cheaper, more convenient commute to those areas in lieu of taking the railroad and then getting on another subway train and vice versa, especially in the morning.

1 minute ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

If anything you would think they would try to attract more ridership by expanding service to Wall Street or 3rd Avenue because that's how you can peel away some riders who take the LIRR.  I bet there would be more people willing to take a cheaper, more convenient commute to those areas in lieu of taking the railroad and then getting on another subway train and vice versa, especially in the morning.

Exactly, but meanwhile they want to axe ALL of the QM3 trips. There's only three of them each way, and they do just fine.