• Last Reply

-Latest news:

1. Queens Rally To Fight Service Cuts:

83111121_10162841666235203_5474998707193

2. Staten Island tweaks to address overcrowding:

-SIM2 & SIM11 AM service changes based on overcrowding for the 2 below buses:

a. SIM2 at 7:28am has been moved to 7:26am

b. SIM11 at 7:20am has been moved to 7:17am

These minor adjustments should help alleviate the overcrowding by moving the buses ahead of school traffic. They will be monitored closely.

2. USPS trucks blocking pick-up and drop-off stops at West 230th and Broadway.

-We continue to monitor this situation. Various drivers and passengers have complained about bus stops being clogged with USPS trucks for days at a time. This problem has worsened going back to 2019.  We reached out yesterday regarding this and noticed no trucks last night and this morning, so hopefully it stops.

3. Greg Mocker - Greg Mocker, the renown transit reporter from PIX11 joined our group yesterday. He has asked to do an interview with us.  We will look to arrange something perhaps in February when we speak at the upcoming (MTA) Bronx Hearing at 1040 Grand Concourse on February 20th.

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

-Latest news:

These minor adjustments should help alleviate the overcrowding by moving the buses ahead of school traffic. They will be monitored closely.

-We continue to monitor this situation. Various drivers and passengers have complained about bus stops being clogged with USPS trucks for days at a time. This problem has worsened going back to 2019.  We reached out yesterday regarding this and noticed no trucks last night and this morning, so hopefully it stops.

3. Greg Mocker - Greg Mocker, the renown transit reporter from PIX11 joined our group yesterday. He has asked to do an interview with us.  We will look to arrange something perhaps in February when we speak at the upcoming (MTA) Bronx Hearing at 1040 Grand Concourse on February 20th.

Now, that’s an excellent pick up. He knows how to get to issue a bit better than the other transit reporters I’ve seen. Again, great work @Via Garibaldi 8. Continued progress for the rest of this year. We have to hold these big wigs accountable for lackluster service and to see a better turnaround. 

https://qns.com/story/2020/01/29/jackson-heights-assembly-candidate-presents-her-plan-for-a-safer-northern-boulevard/

Interesting idea to facilitate more express buses...close Northern Blvd from the Queensboro Bridge to 114th Street to private vehicles.  Though there won't be many express buses left to use this route to NE Queens once the redesign goes through!

5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

-Latest news:

Faantastic work!!

3 hours ago, 7-express said:

https://qns.com/story/2020/01/29/jackson-heights-assembly-candidate-presents-her-plan-for-a-safer-northern-boulevard/

Interesting idea to facilitate more express buses...close Northern Blvd from the Queensboro Bridge to 114th Street to private vehicles.  Though there won't be many express buses left to use this route to NE Queens once the redesign goes through!

I know the actual goal of the plan is to curb pedestrian deaths, but that aside, the Boulevard doesn't need to be closed to traffic, it doesn't even need a bus lane.  All they need to do speed up service on that corridor is sync up the traffic lights at all times and more importantly enforce the no standing zones on the eastern lanes for the PM rush.  95% of the slowdowns on Northern are due to double parked cars or trucks unloading when they shouldn't even be there in the first place.  If that right lane was kept clear, buses would be able to cruise up the right lane and they could go from Queens Plaza to the Whitestone Expressway in 15 minutes. That would be better than putting buses back on the LIE where they'd have to sit in traffic from Van Dam Street all the way until they get on the Van Wyck.

2 hours ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

I know the actual goal of the plan is to curb pedestrian deaths, but that aside, the Boulevard doesn't need to be closed to traffic, it doesn't even need a bus lane.  All they need to do speed up service on that corridor is sync up the traffic lights at all times and more importantly enforce the no standing zones on the eastern lanes for the PM rush.  95% of the slowdowns on Northern are due to double parked cars or trucks unloading when they shouldn't even be there in the first place.  If that right lane was kept clear, buses would be able to cruise up the right lane and they could go from Queens Plaza to the Whitestone Expressway in 15 minutes. That would be better than putting buses back on the LIE where they'd have to sit in traffic from Van Dam Street all the way until they get on the Van Wyck.

Ridiculous idea. Where does she think the cars will go. I know they will just disappear because everyone will just sell them and take the bus. How about this idea. Let's curb pedestrian deaths by banning all pedestrians from Northern Blvd. Does that qualify me to run for the Assembly? 

12 hours ago, BrooklynBus said:

Ridiculous idea. Where does she think the cars will go. I know they will just disappear because everyone will just sell them and take the bus. How about this idea. Let's curb pedestrian deaths by banning all pedestrians from Northern Blvd. Does that qualify me to run for the Assembly? 

You've got my vote! 😄

23 hours ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

Yeah but the DOT has seriously nerfed the signal timing on Northern Blvd and Astoria Blvd in an effort to reduce speeding.  But in turn, causing more congestion that delays buses.  It's a no win scenario here.

4 hours ago, 7-express said:

Yeah but the DOT has seriously nerfed the signal timing on Northern Blvd and Astoria Blvd in an effort to reduce speeding.  But in turn, causing more congestion that delays buses.  It's a no win scenario here.

Yeah same on Queens Boulevard.  Sadly, I don't think Vision Zero and its subsequent DOT changes will go away any time soon.

On 1/31/2020 at 7:17 PM, 7-express said:

On 1/31/2020 at 11:28 PM, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

Yeah same on Queens Boulevard.  Sadly, I don't think Vision Zero and its subsequent DOT changes will go away any time soon.

So they screw up signal timing which causes unnecessary congestion, which slows down buses and subsequently decreases ridership,  then comes up with TSP as the solution?

Ridiculous.

To me this looks like: "Create a problem and try to solve it".

Especially for express buses, what's express about being stationary? haha

• 2 weeks later...

@Via Garibaldi 8 I have a question for ya.

I've been noticing that some of the OMNY readers on board the Express buses in Staten Island aren't working. Is this the same protocol if the farebox isnt working, or do we have to have a backup metrocard to pay the fare or else we wont be let on?

Edited by Lawrence St

3 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

@Via Garibaldi 8 I have a question for ya.

I've been noticing that some of the OMNY readers on board the Express buses in Staten Island aren't working. Is this the same protocol if the farebox isnt working, or do we have to have a backup metrocard to pay the fare or else we wont be let on?

Same protocol. If you intend to pay with OMNY and it is not working, you take a seat.

9 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

@QM1to6Ave Hey, the QM1, QM5, QM6, QM31, QM35, QM36 schedules are all fixed. Had a conference call earlier today and it was taken care of. I checked while I was on the phone. The latest schedules are the Fall 2019 schedules. No more Summer 2019 links should exist.

Fantastic! Now let’s hope they don’t chop those schedules in the redesign lol. 

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 8:52 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The QM3 this morning... Full load with people still boarding... We have a number of QM3 riders in the group. They are all now aware that the MTA wants to eliminate their bus.

84530892_10157100533721247_8055994913575

Looks like service should be expanded if anything.  There's clearly the demand for service in Little Neck and along Northern Boulevard.  I bet they could attract even more ridership if they added 3rd Avenue service or threw a super express or two into the mix.

3 minutes ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

Looks like service should be expanded if anything.  There's clearly the demand for service in Little Neck and along Northern Boulevard.  I bet they could attract even more ridership if they added 3rd Avenue service or threw a super express or two into the mix.

They certainly could....

Latest updates:

We continue to work on bus stop issues:  The bus stop at Henry Hudson Parkway West & West 236th Street that was damaged by an express bus now has new signage added on Wednesday. Old signage (taken by another commuter in our group) vs new signage (photo taken by me):

85134539_10218871408548699_1586955111240

84653832_10218871405228616_4123489438217

For years, commuters have griped about not having official schedules on Presidents' Day.  We were able to get it for the QM20: https://new.mta.info/document/14526

Staten Island also has all schedules available for Presidents' Day:  https://new.mta.info/presidents-day-2020

Hopefully this will make commuting easier for those that work on this day. Important to note that the BxM18 will NOT run on Monday.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Latest updates:

We continue to work on bus stop issues:  The bus stop at Henry Hudson Parkway West & West 236th Street that was damaged by an express bus now has new signage added on Wednesday. Old signage (taken by another commuter in our group) vs new signage (photo taken by me):

85134539_10218871408548699_1586955111240

84653832_10218871405228616_4123489438217

For years, commuters have griped about not having official schedules on Presidents' Day.  We were able to get it for the QM20: https://new.mta.info/document/14526

Staten Island also has all schedules available for Presidents' Day:  https://new.mta.info/presidents-day-2020

Hopefully this will make commuting easier for those that work on this day. Important to note that the BxM18 will NOT run on Monday.

Also just got an MTA email saying extra QM5s will depart Glen Oaks at 6 and 7 am on Monday