Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Via Garibaldi 8

Express Bus Advocacy Group

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I like the electronic signs! They make it look like the tour buses we used to take on long school trips with the TVs installed. Maybe the B/O can play a DVD of Shrek to really give me some nostalgia ;) 

I don't care for the charging ports being on the side "walls" though. Going to reach out about that. Maybe they can fix that when they finalize the design of these buses, as this is one of the "sample" buses.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I don't care for the charging ports being on the side "walls" though. Going to reach out about that. Maybe they can fix that when they finalize the design of these buses, as this is one of the "sample" buses.

Interesting, are there two ports per set of seats? Yeah, if I'm sharing a seat I don't want to have to reach over some other dude's lap to get to the outlet (then again, who knows when it will be safe to sit so close to other people...)

Didn't some of the other Prevosts also have actual outlets as well? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Interesting, are there two ports per set of seats? Yeah, if I'm sharing a seat I don't want to have to reach over some other dude's lap to get to the outlet (then again, who knows when it will be safe to sit so close to other people...)

Didn't some of the other Prevosts also have actual outlets as well? 

Yeah, there are two ports:

116428302_10218224558631562_526853988556

Someone in my group took those photos today. Very strange place for it. The oldest Prevosts at first didn't have charging ports, but they retrofitted all of them, so they are just like the MCI express buses that have them, with the USB ports overhead.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah, there are two ports:

116428302_10218224558631562_526853988556

Someone in my group took those photos today. Very strange place for it. The oldest Prevosts at first didn't have charging ports, but they retrofitted all of them, so they are just like the MCI express buses that have them, with the USB ports overhead.

Oh yes, that positioning is ripe for an inappropriate touching complaint LOL

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Someone in my group took those photos today. Very strange place for it. The oldest Prevosts at first didn't have charging ports, but they retrofitted all of them, so they are just like the MCI express buses that have them, with the USB ports overhead

This is honestly the best setup for the express buses, especially since the USBS are right next to to the stop request button.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In addition to the 5th Avenue Busway project, we have also been asked to partake in the Hylan Blvd bus lane project on Staten Island. Not sure yet how long that project will last, but the 5th Av one is long-term. The two projects combined could help Staten Island commuters substantially, so we're looking forward to hearing the particulars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bus 3215 has 7 rows blocked off with red tape on both sides of the aisle. Bus was pretty crowded this morning in the early peak period 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Bus 3215 has 7 rows blocked off with red tape on both sides of the aisle. Bus was pretty crowded this morning in the early peak period 

How many people would you say? Take a picture next time.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

14 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

How many people would you say? Take a picture next time.

Will do. I sat in the very, very back row because there was someone in every other set of 2 seats 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 3:47 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I can even live with that. Past five rows that's more than 20 seats unavailable. 

------

New express bus making its rounds out of Yonkers Depot. I have not rode it yet, but have seen it. Most drivers I know ao far have told me they like them overall. Should be Yonkers for about the next three weeks.

116288772_10218223223918195_118857679354

This week the CP buses I've been taking back and forth seem to have now only the first 3 rows on each side blocked off.  Thanks if you had anything to do with that.

 

I took a ride on 2824 yesterday and was surprised we made it back to Fresh Meadows.  The engine just sounds like it's gonna cut out at any minute, the whole bus was shaking, and at one point my wife and I thought the engine was gonna stall when we got into the Midtown Tunnel. 

  • LMAO! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

This week the CP buses I've been taking back and forth seem to have now only the first 3 rows on each side blocked off.  Thanks if you had anything to do with that.

Yes I did. I noted that it was a chronic problem at College Point Depot, and we've been discussing it in our group. I was told it would be addressed, as the first three rows should be blocked off. Sometimes it takes a bit of time to be addressed. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw this earlier:

https://www.amny.com/news/transit-news/after-two-years-the-staten-island-express-bus-redesign-shows-improved-travel-times/

 

Quote

 

After two years, the Staten Island express bus redesign shows improved travel times

Mark Hallum     August 13, 2020

 

In the two years since the Staten Island bus network was redesigned, the MTA says that service overall improved, especially for express bus routes which are faster by 10%, according to the agency.

Since ditching the X network, MTA Bus Company President Craig Cipriano released the data the represented commute times reduced by an average of 10 minutes and a 12 minute gain in the morning hours for straphangers traveling from Eltingville Transit Center to Midtown Manhattan.

“We’re giving our customers back vital minutes every single day that equate to more time for them rather than spending more time on the bus. What’s also very rewarding for us is that almost what we saw pre-pandemic is that customers were coming back to the SIM network,” Cipriano said. “Reliability was up to 82% on the SIM network. That’s from a low of 62% from the old X network. What that means is that customers can plan their day.”

Streamlining routes and balancing out the spacing between stops is what Cipriano attributed to the success of the SIM route, adding that well-enforced bus priority can improve headways and bus speeds across the city as seen in Brooklyn and Manhattan where the MTA’s pilot program to issue camera violations to motorists blocking bus lanes has been expanded in recent weeks.

While the SIM network only applies to express bus routes, the MTA’s prior commitment to improve local routes across the city by 2021 has been shelved for the time-being due the COVID-19 pandemic. Communication with riders in order to fine-tune service is not “possible” during a pandemic, Cipriano said.

According to the MTA, the bus ridership has bounced back by about 30% since, equating to about 8,000 to 9,000 customers in Staten Island compared to the 35,000 daily average before the pandemic began in March.

“If you are a Staten Islander – and I am a native Staten Islander – it’s reflexive, it’s a birthright to criticize the MTA… My god, I’ve got some colleagues who basically they’ve made their career out of turning the MTA into a piñata,” Staten Island Borough President Jimmy Oddo said. “For a long time I’ve been talking about how the public doesn’t care about the process, they care about the finished product.”

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

Yeah I know. I ignored it. We were discussing the SI express bus network on a conference call about the Hylan Blvd project the other day. Notice that they use percentages instead of the actual mph. 10% of what is what people should ask. Yes, service is a bit faster, but those stats likely don’t mention what the passengers actual travel times are.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah I know. I ignored it. We were discussing the SI express bus network on a conference call about the Hylan Blvd project the other day. Notice that they use percentages instead of the actual mph. 10% of what is what people should ask. Yes, service is a bit faster, but those stats likely don’t mention what the passengers actual travel times are.

It also does not indicate whether passengers are traveling farther to get to their bus, or if they have fewer buses on the route that they use, etc. Sure, the buses that are running are somewhat faster (some of which is due to the fact that there was zero traffic from March 16 until about June), but that doesn't really mean much by itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

It also does not indicate whether passengers are traveling farther to get to their bus, or if they have fewer buses on the route that they use, etc. Sure, the buses that are running are somewhat faster (some of which is due to the fact that there was zero traffic from March 16 until about June), but that doesn't really mean much by itself.

The reality is, the MTA will definitely not deny that their whole "innovative redesign" was a failure or that it has flaws... they like focusing on the sole benefits as a way to attract customers. The bolded text brings up a good point that should've also been met with review.

Edited by Bay Ridge Express

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.