Express Bus Advocacy Group

Via Garibaldi 8

16 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah, but she also apparently didn't call it in either. Similar to the guy on the BxM1 that drove through the flooding water on the Deegan and refused to call dispatch for an alternate route. Just kept saying he wasn't allowed to deviate from the route. I mean that one still has me shaking my head.

Them not running the last BxMs of the night has been happening a lot over the last several months, and worst off, no announcements, so passengers have no idea beforehand and are just standing around for a bus that isn't coming.

Some of these dispatches are cold hearted, I don't blame him for one, but driving through a flood? After that entire Staten Island bus flood fiasco, they sent out a memo to NOT do that.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah, but she also apparently didn't call it in either. Similar to the guy on the BxM1 that drove through the flooding water on the Deegan and refused to call dispatch for an alternate route. Just kept saying he wasn't allowed to deviate from the route. I mean that one still has me shaking my head.

The BxM1 on the Deegan was inexcusable. With the turnpike, at least she realized she needed help and followed the directions from the passengers, so nobody was significantly delayed. No worse than some of the rookie drivers getting thrown on a new route and having to depend on the passengers to guide them. 

19 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

The BxM1 on the Deegan was inexcusable. With the turnpike, at least she realized she needed help and followed the directions from the passengers, so nobody was significantly delayed. No worse than some of the rookie drivers getting thrown on a new route and having to depend on the passengers to guide them. 

Yeah, but the point is dispatch couldn't help in her situation, even if they wanted to, since they didn't know.

@QM1to6Ave Happy to report that the driver that dumped all of you off early has been disciplined, as that was something he did on his own, not anything that came from dispatch. An investigation was done and they were able to identify them.  If that happens again, please let me know ASAP.

-Other news: I spoke at length with the (MTA) regarding maskless riders.  The (MTA) is continuing its education program, which includes providing customers with masks, posting mask info, etc. I suggested having masks available on the express buses to mitigate the maskless issue.

-The chained off seats will remain in place until at least later this year. Unfortunately, there are some logistical issues that are complicating the installation of the shields, but the (MTA) is pushing for them to be installed by the end of this year.  

-We are aware of the delays on Madison Avenue for Bronx express bus service. We are trying to get approved routes in place in the future.  We are also looking at the Bruckner Expressway for possible re-routes, as that is a State DOT project that will run for the next few years.

-BM tracking issues. We are looking into this and hope to have more info.

5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

@QM1to6Ave Happy to report that the driver that dumped all of you off early has been disciplined, as that was something he did on his own, not anything that came from dispatch. An investigation was done and they were able to identify them.  If that happens again, please let me know ASAP.

-Other news: I spoke at length with the (MTA) regarding maskless riders.  The (MTA) is continuing its education program, which includes providing customers with masks, posting mask info, etc. I suggested having masks available on the express buses to mitigate the maskless issue.

-The chained off seats will remain in place until at least later this year. Unfortunately, there are some logistical issues that are complicating the installation of the shields, but the (MTA) is pushing for them to be installed by the end of this year.  

-We are aware of the delays on Madison Avenue for Bronx express bus service. We are trying to get approved routes in place in the future.  We are also looking at the Bruckner Expressway for possible re-routes, as that is a State DOT project that will run for the next few years.

-BM tracking issues. We are looking into this and hope to have more info.

Amazing, thank you! I’m so glad to hear that they followed through and gave consequences for this nonsense. It’s really sad, since all the games the B/Os from CP played during the height of COVID, which you helped solve, along with this, I’ve really lost faith in CP drivers. I write in commendations for the few good ones, but they could use some new blood in that depot 

Too bad they can’t get those shields installed faster, oh well. I guess we will survive with the chains. 

4 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Amazing, thank you! I’m so glad to hear that they followed through and gave consequences for this nonsense. It’s really sad, since all the games the B/Os from CP played during the height of COVID, which you helped solve, along with this, I’ve really lost faith in CP drivers. I write in commendations for the few good ones, but they could use some new blood in that depot 

Too bad they can’t get those shields installed faster, oh well. I guess we will survive with the chains. 

Yeah, they are saying that there is a supplier shortage that they have no control over. I have heard about this issue for other things, so it sounds real. We agreed to have regular conference calls every so many months going forward. 

8 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah, they are saying that there is a supplier shortage that they have no control over. I have heard about this issue for other things, so it sounds real. We agreed to have regular conference calls every so many months going forward. 

I've heard about supply chains being messed up for lots of things because of the pandemic, so I agree with you

5 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I've heard about supply chains being messed up for lots of things because of the pandemic, so I agree with you

Yeah, essentially it's the materials that make up the shields supposedly. I just assumed it would be a manpower issue in terms of installing them, but apparently not.

BM, SIM, BxM riders... You spoke, we listened:

-We've asked the MTA to address BM tracking issues & place a dispatcher Downtown during the evening rush to monitor service.

-BM1 & BM2: We've requested that the MTA study quicker service from Mill Basin, Bergen Beach, Canarsie, etc. to expedite service; these buses make over 25 stops in Brooklyn alone.

-SIM riders along 42nd St should expect revised schedules this Fall for more reliable service for lines such as the SIM22.

-BxM riders along Madison, 5th & Major Deegan... We've requested pre-approved routes ASAP to avoid congestion where possible. More to come...

32 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

BM, SIM, BxM riders... You spoke, we listened:

-We've asked the MTA to address BM tracking issues & place a dispatcher Downtown during the evening rush to monitor service.

-BM1 & BM2: We've requested that the MTA study quicker service from Mill Basin, Bergen Beach, Canarsie, etc. to expedite service; these buses make over 25 stops in Brooklyn alone.

-SIM riders along 42nd St should expect revised schedules this Fall for more reliable service for lines such as the SIM22.

-BxM riders along Madison, 5th & Major Deegan... We've requested pre-approved routes ASAP to avoid congestion where possible. More to come...

This here is excellent.. The BM2 especially is hell. Hopefully, a return of the BM2S (or new route to follow the BM2) from Canarsie/Spring Creek to Downtown Manhattan making less stops in Brooklyn. Also, a BM2 midtown super express ONLY could help. While I'm on this super express question. Are the BM1, BM2, BM3, BM4 , BM5 are still using super express designations for Midtown or is it regular express bus service into Midtown?

31 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

This here is excellent.. The BM2 especially is hell. Hopefully, a return of the BM2S (or new route to follow the BM2) from Canarsie/Spring Creek to Downtown Manhattan making less stops in Brooklyn. Also, a BM2 midtown super express ONLY could help. While I'm on this super express question. Are the BM1, BM2, BM3, BM4 , BM5 are still using super express designations for Midtown or is it regular express bus service into Midtown?

Yes, during the rush, there's the Downtown Loop that serves Downtown only, and the Super Express trips that serve Midtown only, but there are a number of BM1 riders, particularly from Mill Basin that are dealing with extensive commutes of almost two hours one way, even with the Downtown Loop or Super Express Midtown only trips. For example, the current BM1 makes a good 29 stops or so in Brooklyn alone. We'd like the (MTA) to cut that number down to around 20, and we have used the latest Express Bus Audit that we petitioned for to push the (MTA) to make more changes to schedules and routes where possible, otherwise they won't do anything.

https://comptroller.nyc.gov/newsroom/comptroller-stringer-audit-mta-express-bus-on-time-performance-continues-to-lag/

One key thing the audit notes:

"The MTA should ensure that Road Operations: (a) identifies possible route and schedule modifications for express buses that do not meet performance goals; and (b) recommends appropriate modifications to the MTA’s Operations Planning department."

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

7 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Was just informed that one row of chained off seats will be removed. The first row of seats on both sides will remain chained off.

Progress! I was just noticing today that the buses, especially in the AM, are just as busy, if not more so, than pre-covid. The QM1s in particular are always packed now. That extra row will make a big difference. With this nasty delta variant, we need to spread people out as much as possible

10 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Progress! I was just noticing today that the buses, especially in the AM, are just as busy, if not more so, than pre-covid. The QM1s in particular are always packed now. That extra row will make a big difference. With this nasty delta variant, we need to spread people out as much as possible

Yes, we've been tracking and have noticed which is why it came up. Before anyone jumps down my throat, I was not given a timeframe as to when this will happen, but it likely be gradually, as they are not going to get to hundreds of buses at once. From what I have heard, some have already been removed. 

The second row unchained but not open for passengers to sit in? Yes, we are hearing from some passengers that they are denied access to the second row despite the chains being removed. Another example of poor communication... We are inquiring for clarification, as these incidents so far have been isolated to just a few express buses.

6 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The second row unchained but not open for passengers to sit in? Yes, we are hearing from some passengers that they are denied access to the second row despite the chains being removed. Another example of poor communication... We are inquiring for clarification, as these incidents so far have been isolated to just a few express buses.

Yeah, the QM5 I was on the morning, a Prevost, had chains removed from the second row but someone tied all the seatbelts across the seats to block them off. 

9 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Yeah, the QM5 I was on the morning, a Prevost, had chains removed from the second row but someone tied all the seatbelts across the seats to block them off. 

Drivers doing that. The union supposedly agreed to remove the chains. No one forced them to, so it makes no sense.

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Drivers doing that. The union supposedly agreed to remove the chains. No one forced them to, so it makes no sense.

SMH. I think they got used to spreading all their bags and stuff across all these aisles. Meanwhile, there's one B/O on the X63 who always has this chick sitting in the first seat flirting with him the whole trip. I don't care though, this guy hauls a** so it's all good by me LOL.

10 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

SMH. I think they got used to spreading all their bags and stuff across all these aisles. Meanwhile, there's one B/O on the X63 who always has this chick sitting in the first seat flirting with him the whole trip. I don't care though, this guy hauls a** so it's all good by me LOL.

Yes, there are some drivers that are not happy about it, and it's definitely not because of COVID concerns, because some of the drivers blocking off seats don't wear masks, so if they were that concerned, they'd be wearing a mask while in service.

On 8/6/2021 at 3:29 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It looks like some operators are making up their own rules.   Once management sends out a Bulletin/b/o's be personally told by supervision to knock it off/enforcement, etc. those offending operators will cease doing this.

6 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

It looks like some operators are making up their own rules.   Once management sends out a Bulletin/b/o's be personally told by supervision to knock it off/enforcement, etc. those offending operators will cease doing this.

Yes, because some operators aren't happy about it, but listen, the union and the (MTA) agreed to this. All I asked originally was when the shields would be installed because I understand that we need the drivers to feel safe while driving, etc., as there is a delay in installing them because of material sourcing issues, etc., and so originally they had talked about opening those seats back up around the end of this year, which is when they hope to have all of the shields installed, but they also said that they were actively looking at how to open up more seats, as I noted how some trips were becoming more crowded and how more offices were expected to re-open come September, so I wasn't necessarily surprised when they came to an agreement to open up the second row.  

I think some operators are not realizing that if we don't start getting people back on these buses, the (MTA) will be looking to cut service.  I've already discussed it with my contacts in the last conference call. Nothing specific is on the table right now with 2023 being so far down the line, and there is hope that something will change for the better between now and then, but it is something they may be forced to explore. Now I've asked them to look at everything and to push like hell to try to keep service, but without any more funding and without more fare revenue, the cuts may very well come, and there isn't a damn thing anyone will be able to do about it.  I just try to advocate as best as I can using the tools that I can, but I don't have any special powers or anything.

Latest developments:

At the request of a number of BM express bus riders, today we created a petition for Sunday service:

https://www.gopetition.com/petitions/bm-sunday-service.html?fbclid=IwAR1-XJzAjsCe51A55BFjMk3cx4Id-TpSZw-dDPMFTHwywGiei9FuIrJPy8E

We expect to work on circulating this over time.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks pretty bad for NE Queens commuters today.  BusTime is reporting that all E/B runs from 1500-1600 were cancelled on the QM2/20 (three trips). I don't even see the 1500 and 1600 QM20 trips running either so it might be five cancelled trips in a row.  It's not showing any active E/B buses right now (1608) on the entire route for both lines.  So unless there are buses running without GPS, it looks like a pretty large hole to start off the evening rush.

Edited by 7-express

Now that the re-designs are back on, I hope they will squash the change in routing for Queens downtown buses to take the Williamsburg Bridge and just keep them on the FDR.  The MTA had a 6-9 month test run on this idea when a sink hole opened up by the FDR and 34th Street exit and commute times were much worse as a result of it.  

• 1 month later...
On 8/25/2021 at 9:45 AM, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

Now that the re-designs are back on, I hope they will squash the change in routing for Queens downtown buses to take the Williamsburg Bridge and just keep them on the FDR.  The MTA had a 6-9 month test run on this idea when a sink hole opened up by the FDR and 34th Street exit and commute times were much worse as a result of it.  

Queens Express Bus Redesign is back on, but the Bronx Express Bus Redesign is still on hold indefinitely.

-Latest developments:

-Advocating directly to the (MTA) to address safety issues with express bus service, after a woman was struck and killed by a BxM1 in Riverdale.

-Spoke at last week's Congestion Pricing Hearing calling for improved express bus service for the outer boroughs and a mitigation plan to address potential congestion from said plan.

-If you are having tracking issues with your express bus, particularly specific trips, let me know the bus# and I will have it investigated. There are a few trips that are not tracking right now, such as the 5:20am BM1 from Mill Basin and that one has been a problem before that is being addressed now.