MTA to Bring Additional Temporary Bus Route, Fully ADA Compliant Subway Station to Canarsie

Future ENY OP

Source:  (MTA) http://www.mta.info/press-release/nyc-transit/mta-bring-additional-temporary-bus-route-fully-ada-compliant-subway

Since this was reported already in the subway posts. Let's bring this to the bus section of the forum.

Comments, Criticisms and Concerns for the new route.

Efforts Expected to Help Ease Challenges Associated with L Tunnel Closure Next Year

MTA New York City Transit announced plans today to introduce a new, temporary bus service to Brooklyn’s Canarsie neighborhood as well as permanent improvements to the Canarsie-Rockaway Parkway subway station. The plans, which were developed in close collaboration with NYC Department of Transportation and elected officials, are another extension of the plan for additional service options during the (L) tunnel closure.

The new L5 bus service will be the fifth planned temporary bus service announced as part of the plan for additional service options during the (L) tunnel closure. Called the L5, it will operate as a peak hour, limited-stop bus route along parts of the existing B42 bus route as well as on the northern half of the B17 route and will bring customers to the  (3)(4) Crown Heights Utica Av station. In response to feedback from customers during a recent town hall meeting with Congressman Jeffries, the L5 will help customers to get easier access to more subway lines and reduce the time it takes to get to the subway, taking into account the importance of transferring at the (A)(C)(J)(L) and (Z) lines at Broadway Junction. A ride on the L5 will cost the same as a local bus fare, but in cutting down on the total number of stops, it will provide many of the benefits of an express ride. In effect, customers will get to subway stations more quickly than they would otherwise.   

“It’s imperative that we are doing everything in our power to ease the burdens customers will experience as a result of this massive work,” said New York City Transit President Andy Byford. “That means thinking of creative ways to provide the best possible experience to our customers, including those in Brooklyn who still will have (L) train service from Bedford Av Station to Canarsie-Rockaway Parkway Station. By adding another bus service to the other four we’ve already announced as part of the (L) tunnel reconstruction project as well as permanently improving a key subway station, we are providing tangible benefits to the large number of customers who made their voices heard. That includes those in the disabled community who continue their noble push, which I share, to make this system more accessible. I sincerely appreciate the efforts of Canarsie elected leaders, especially Congressman Jeffries, who made the case regarding the necessity of more service for his constituents early on and worked with us throughout the process to make it happen.” 

“Providing good alternative service for (L) train riders is critical to peoples’ lives during the (L) train tunnel closure, and the new L5 limited stop bus route the MTA is running will provide fast service to other subway lines to get people where they need to go,” said NYC DOT Deputy Commissioner for Transportation Planning and Management Eric Beaton. “Along with the increased subway service, new Select Bus Service lines, HOV restrictions, added ferry service, and expanded bike infrastructure and Citi Bike, this shows MTA and the City are working together to keep New Yorkers moving when this needed project begins next year.” 

The bus will operate every 20 minutes from 6:00 AM to 9:00 AM and from 3:00 PM to 7:00 PM during weekdays. It will make a limited number of existing B42 stops on Rockaway Parkway south of Flatlands Avenue in both directions, one stop on Flatlands Avenue at Remsen Avenue, then continue without stopping to the stop on Utica Avenue, nearside, of Eastern Parkway. More details on the specifics of the route are available below.

The updates to the Canarsie-Rockaway Parkway subway station will make it ADA compliant, including adding public bathrooms, accessible connections to buses in the terminal and numerous other upgrades.  

PRAISE FOR THE PLAN FROM ELECTED OFFICIALS

ASSEMBLY MEMBER JAMIE WILLIAMS: “The  line is a vital artery of transportation within the boroughs of Manhattan and Brooklyn. It is a key component that enables many to get to work from the 59th Assembly District, the MTA’s implementation of a new bus route will help alienate the fear and concern for many residents in getting to work. I am personally thrilled to have this new bus line come to fruition as this will provide so many with a much needed lifeline to their livelihoods

ASSEMBLY MEMBER NICK PERRY: “I applaud the MTA and New York City Transit for heeding the calls of the community and implementing the new L5 bus route.  This supplementary route will certainly help commuters endure the train shutdown, and navigate their way to school and work on time each day.”

STATE SENATOR ROXANNE PERSAUD: "For many residents in the district I serve, public transportation is their main source for commuting. I'd like to remind folks that during this construction the  line will continue on its normal schedule within Brooklyn, from Canarsie-Rockaway Parkway to Bedford Avenue. I'm glad to see the MTA offering accessible transportation options during this transition.”

COUNCIL MEMBER ALAN MAISEL: “I’m very pleased that the Transit Authority in conjunction with local elected officials plan to bring this much needed bus service when the Canarsie  Line closes for repair in 2019.  The new L5 bus will work to address some of the concerns we had by helping rush hour commuters transfer to the subway lines needed at Broadway junction.  This measure is very good news for our local residents.”

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT THE NEW BUS ROUTE

Route Path – Northbound

From current B42 terminal at Rockaway Parkway, far side, Shore Parkway Service Road, straight Rockaway Parkway, left Flatlands Avenue, right Remsen Avenue, right on Utica Avenue, to last stop at the Crown Heights Utica Av   Station.

Route Path – Southbound

From first at the Crown Heights Utica Av (3) (4) Station, continue on Utica Avenue, slight left Remsen Avenue, left Flatlands Avenue, right Rockaway Parkway, through traffic circle (passengers may be carried on circle), left Rockaway Parkway, to stand at current B42 terminal at Rockaway Parkway, far side, Shore Parkway Service Road.

Bus Stops

Will make a limited number of existing B42 stops on Rockaway Parkway south of Flatlands Avenue in both directions, one stop on Flatlands Avenue at Remsen Avenue, then continue without stopping until the stop on Utica Avenue.

Service Frequency, Span, and Days of Service

The route would operate every 20 minutes from 6:00 AM – 9:00 AM and 3:00 PM – 7:00 PM weekdays only.

Since I live along the B42 and this new L5 route, the route is a very good idea. However, i think every 12-15 minutes would be a better headway compared to 20 minutes. Also, it shouldn't run all day, but at least have later hours.

On 9/15/2018 at 11:34 AM, MTA Bus said:

Since I live along the B42 and this new L5 route, the route is a very good idea. However, i think every 12-15 minutes would be a better headway compared to 20 minutes. Also, it shouldn't run all day, but at least have later hours.

I'm guessing that a more frequent L5 would require cutting even more service from other routes.

1 hour ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

I'm guessing that a more frequent L5 would require cutting even more service from other routes.

I’m also guessing that it would also cut into resources for the shuttles, since only 96 new XD40s were allocated for the L shuttles and this new route was created after they had done the assignments for the buses. Why didn’t they add this route to the initial plans instead of adding it later after buses were allocated?

Archived