Track book photo contest and call for submissions

Peter Dougherty

Hi folks!

Just a friendly reminder to the good folks here that Tracks of the NYC Subway is still accepting submissions for the 2019 front and rear cover images. The contest closes at 11:59pm on Oct. 14th. Details at http://nyctrackbook.com/photo_contest.html.

Once again this year I'm asking for details of changes in tracks, signals, towers, major G.O.s (other than the L-pocalypse, that is) and related info. Edits for the new edition have started and will continue until the week of Thanksgiving. Any and all info greatly appreciated, and will be credited in print on request.

Thanks to everyone for your interest and keep up all the great posts. 

Cheers,

Peter Dougherty,
Author/Publisher
front_cover.jpg

2018 Edition still available. 2019 edition coming on Dec. 3rd 

48 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

I'm gonna try it out. 

I have a few good photos on my Canon Rebel T6 (which I recently got), and I only use optical zooming IINM. 

Also, are we allowed to submit more than one photo?

I got the same type of camera a couple of weeks ago and I have some good photos (some of which I imported into my computer) I'm thinking of giving this a go

1 hour ago, Coney Island Av said:

I'm gonna try it out. 

I have a few good photos on my Canon Rebel T6 (which I recently got), and I only use optical zooming IINM. 

Also, are we allowed to submit more than one photo?

Feel free to submit as many as you want. Dozens. Hundreds :)

Here's the thing about optical zoom. It's fine for on-screen viewing but in print it looks poor and really isn't usable beyond the slightest bit. Also, unless you snap the perfect image with 100% perfect subject placement in the frame, there will have to be some enlarging and cropping involved, so the more data there is to play with the better. A standard 35mm frame size or an iPhone or Android will not natively fill the 9 x 11.75 inch frame size that I start with. So I need to embiggen the image in Photoshop just to use every pixel submitted. That act in itself can wash out optical zoom for things like iPhone cameras. Now if I need to enlarge further for subject placement within the frame I need to inconvenience even more native pixels. So yeah, for the purposes of entering the contest, any resolution submitted is just fine. But if you win, I need a nice and big image. Full-frame 35mm at 24 MP sensor will do that in spades. I prefer either TIF or RAW for final images, but jpegs for the contest are perfectly fine. Nothing under about 3 or 4 MB, though--there's just not enough data.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The contest is now closed and I'm evaluating the entries and will be doing mockups shortly. One of the entrants send images that were too small and I'm still waiting to receive these before I can post the finalists. I will post the list of finalists as soon as I can, most likely on Friday or Saturday (Oct. 19/20th).

At this point I'm beginning to assemble and prepare revisions, corrections and additions for 2019. If you have any info to share I would be most grateful! As always, I'm looking for track and switch changes, signal changes, new interlocking signal numbers, tower info, and car/yard assignments 

I have four finalists at present, and by Friday, the 19th, I should have two more. Watch this space!

Also, does anybody happen to have the current interlocking plans for 6th Ave and West 4th? I was down there today and wasn't able to get any of the signal numbers from in the tunnels. Info greatly appreciated, please-n-thanx.

Archived