How fast do expresses actually travel?

Deucey

On 11/21/2018 at 5:26 PM, brakethrow said:

I thought the only operators who actually follow every speed limit were fresh out of school car.. I could understand following speed limits on tight curves and switches but who's doing 30 on a straightaway ?

Once in a while I'll have an operator who actually keeps the train at 10 mph throughout the whole Crescent - Cypress Hills "S" curve even after clearing the timers and curves.. 🙄

17 Years  a Train Operator follows every speed Sign...

There are  LOTS of us down here who follow them those are the ones you don't notice that means they doing their Job...

On 11/23/2018 at 4:03 AM, Trainmaster5 said:

I understand why you feel that way. I have never relied on a speed “ indicator “ or a speedometer as a sole means of train movement. I was already pounding the road when that equipment hit the IRT. Let’s just say that the original indicators were rudimentary at best. A good example was a train at a full stop in the Utica relay showing 8mph as a n/b New Lots train passes by. Throw the federally mandated signal adjustments into the mix and you are on the way to a slowdown. Now add some lawsuits brought after 12-9s which the TA lost because of excessive speed by T/Os and the (MTA) decided to stop paying every claimant. When you say that the T/O who follows the rules is doomed to run late guess what? The running time is increased by the scheduling people so there is no lateness on paper. You and I know better but the on time performance looks good to the media. When a T/O gets banged by a TSS for going 5mph over the posted speed, nobody is gonna defend that person whether it’s safe or not. Who’s to say that that particular area wouldn’t be re-timed later , weeks or a month even, but that won’t erase that bad entry on the T/Os disciplinary record. I can remember when the R62 equipment first came to the (4) and guys were making it from Woodlawn to 149th 6-8 minutes to the good. The very next pick jobs were eliminated and the remaining folks were gifted with more trips 😁. When the mandatory slowdowns were imposed all they did was increase the running time again. What I’m saying is that the over abundance of caution is a byproduct of the legal situation and as a self-insured entity the bean counters wield the power no matter who’s the head honcho in RTO. Carry on.

Well said brother couldn't have said it better myself...

They have radar guns all over the place down here and its for a reason... 

Some people get thrown by reckless TO's, Bad trackage or yes even customer complaints about the trains going through the area..

You got five minutes due to "road conditions" for a lateness at gap stations and terminals...

They add that time and yes its a on time railroad on paper...

You can follow every speed sign and be on time but usually there is something along ones route that prevents that. 

Its just how things work in the Land of Non CBTC...

Do any of you know when they resignalled Eastern Parkway/Nostrand? Those automatics look new, and boy do I want to learn what's up with some of those timers... There are ones that don't seem to make any sense from any perspective (stopping distance, curve protection, switch protection), and none of them seem to clear at posted speed. Honestly, thank god the MTA has Rogers; it provides a respectable excuse for the A division's startling lack of throughput. If it didn't exist, I can guarantee ya'll would be losing more capacity to timers in the Boro Hall-Franklin section than you would be to 142 or GC dwell... (/rant)

3 hours ago, RTOMan said:

Well said brother couldn't have said it better myself...

They have radar guns all over the place down here and its for a reason... 

Some people get thrown by reckless TO's, Bad trackage or yes even customer complaints about the trains going through the area..

You got five minutes due to "road conditions" for a lateness at gap stations and terminals...

They add that time and yes its a on time railroad on paper...

You can follow every speed sign and be on time but usually there is something along ones route that prevents that. 

Its just how things work in the Land of Non CBTC...

This post summates the issue with the MTA. Its overzealous (and logically impeachable) quest for 'safety' is making it literally impossible to run the bloody trains quickly and frequently. The issue here is not CBTC or signal age, it's the mere fact that the people at the top have not one iota of an idea about how things play out underground.  

On 11/24/2018 at 12:07 PM, RR503 said:

This post summates the issue with the MTA. Its overzealous (and logically impeachable) quest for 'safety' is making it literally impossible to run the bloody trains quickly and frequently. The issue here is not CBTC or signal age, it's the mere fact that the people at the top have not one iota of an idea about how things play out underground.  

The only truly safe operation is no service at all.

Meanwhile, maybe somebody should work on installing signals that don't fail every time they get wet.

On 12/1/2018 at 3:30 PM, Polohow1122 said:

Why is there a timer @18thStreetIRT southbound local track- 7th ave line. There are no switches at that location. No reason for a timer.

There is a timer located on the northbound express track at Christopher St on the 7th ave line. Is there a reason for a timer @ that location?

There is a switch just south of 18th street on 1 track going to 3 track..

The one shot is there to prevent homesignal overrun if the signal is at danger...

It also slows down the express because of said switch... 

Archived