What do you guys wish about our bus fleets(New buses or buses that should be ordered) ?

King Transit

41 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

That we would order XDE40s in the masses instead of XD40s. The hybrid variation is more fun to ride and sound cooler, diesel only version are a little bland IMO

New MCI in the style NJT new MCI's are in rather than the design 0023 had.

XDE40's are on the way....

The ones (NJT) have are the ones from 2018. Kinda wish (MTA) ordered some 2018's. Hopefully, we can get our hands on the D45CRTLE which are 2019.

I would love to see some Nova LFS CNG or Nova LFS HEV make their way down, as well as the Proterra BE40 land an actual order instead of this leasing deal going on. New Flyer XDE60s or Nova LFS-A HEV would be better than all of these straight diesel arctics. I don't know as much about operations and the saved costs of a hybrid vs. clean diesel, but most arctic routes seem to be pretty stop and go in moderate to heavy traffic most weekdays, especially the crosstowns, and I feel like having hybrids on those routes would make sense since perhaps the buses sit long enough to make enough of a difference in fuel usage?

And yeah I'm also in the MCI D4500CT camp ^^. They look real nice in my opinion.

18 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

That we would order XDE40s in the masses instead of XD40s. The hybrid variation is more fun to ride and sound cooler, diesel only version are a little bland IMO

Not to mention less-polluting. I was thinking that instead of 367 XD40s (7484-7850) they should’ve ordered 400 XDE40s (7484-7883) to expand service in Brooklyn and Manhattan, especially on the B46 SBS. They should’ve done this:

400 New Flyer XDE40s

7484-7883 (NYCT)

7484-7547 (64) Jamaica

7548-7593 (46) Mike Quill, with 4 or 5 units in rotation to Manhattanville.

7594-7635 (42) East New York 

7636-7689 (54) Flatbush for B46 SBS 

7690-7713 (24) Fresh Pond

7714-7737 (24) Grand Avenue 

7738-7783 (46) Ulmer Park

7784-7793 (10) Jackie Gleason for (L) Train

7794-7883 (90) Grand Avenue for (L) Train

This ensures service expansions wherever possible. When the (L) shutdown is over, 7784-7813 would go to UP.

9 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

It would be nice if the MTA were to consider those VanHool CX45s. They're some really nice buses and would be a great fit for the MTA. Why hasn't the MTA ever considered VanHool?

I'm assuming that the Prevost is more convenient for us

2 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

It would be nice if the MTA were to consider those VanHool CX45s. They're some really nice buses and would be a great fit for the MTA. Why hasn't the MTA ever considered VanHool?

The MTA did consider Van Hool back in 2008(?) when they tested the Van Hool TD925 model double decker. Granted it's in a whole different league than the CX45 but it's not like the MTA has completely turned a blind eye to them.

But otherwise, it doesn't really make much sense why the Van Hool CX45, or the Volvo 9900, Setra S 417 UL, and other intercity coaches don't get repurposed into transit buses, whereas the X3-45 and D4500CT can play in both fields. Maybe I'm missing something...

I've been waiting a long time for the buses to come with the automated stop announcements and info screens (though I originally anticipated LED boards.)

It's only now been happening since the delivery of the 2018 XD40 order along with the ongoing retrofit of the current fleet but if I'm not mistaken, interior LED boards were first tested on the first Orion 7 CNG #7560 (albeit without any announcements) and in subsequent years with the 2003-04 D60s, one 1998 RTS, and finally the Clever Device BusTime pilot on Orion 7 NGs assigned to the M34/16 and later 34/34A Select. If only Clever Devices fixed up the kinks with the GPS and sold their transit solutions at a price lower than they offered at the time, then we probably could've gotten this tech by the time the wave of 2011-2013 bus orders came in.

In terms of actual fleet models, I'll utilize a combo of past what-could've-beens and speculation. I thought it would've been neat for NYCT to order some D60LFs after they demo'd one out of Minnesota back in the early 2000s but hey at least we got XD60s. I also thought it would've been cool that had Manhattanville become a CNG depot, we would've either seen a larger fleet of Orion 7 CNGs than we had over the past decade or perhaps 2003-04 model C40LFs with the DDS50 MK-G/B400R combo (a la the Altoona C40LF test unit) had the MTA and NF not gotten into their dispute following the delivery of the last D60HFs.

On 9/21/2018 at 9:25 PM, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Give the Q60 Artics

That's just unnecessary.

On 9/21/2018 at 9:43 PM, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Vanhool in particular stays out of the American transit market with their coaches, ever since their semi-low floor coach bombed. They still offer 40ft transit buses.

5 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

I have a mock roster of how depots would be today if more buses were delivered and ordered accordingly. Some changes include no OGs at Quill, no NGs at Jamaica, Ecosavers in Manhattanville and Quill, some 3G hybrids at JFK.

I have been doing one was well. The only difference is that in my roster, the MTA would’ve leased 10 hybrids (5 from New Flyer for XDE40s, and 5 from NovaBus for LFS HEVs). This is similar to today’s hybrid bus pilot, but instead of being added onto an option order, the buses would be leased for 2 years, swapping depots after one year). After the two year pilot, they would then decide on what hybrid engine to order for the new option order XDE40s and LFS HEVs, which by the way, there would be 400 of the former and 290 of the latter, amending the XD40 and LFS orders. This would begin the phase-out of diesel buses for a cleaner fleet. In addition, I also had changes to the roster, where part of the 414 Bus order from Nova was delivered to Casey Stengel to replace the Orion V and the 72 additional XD40 buses were not added.

Also, what fleet numbers would you be using for your bus roster?

6 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

I have a mock roster of how depots would be today if more buses were delivered and ordered accordingly. Some changes include no OGs at Quill, no NGs at Jamaica, Ecosavers in Manhattanville and Quill, some 3G hybrids at JFK.

Wait where you do the mock roster ?

4 hours ago, King Transit said:

Wait where you do the mock roster ?

Is something I have on a wikia I made. Has a few "fantasy routes" to make room for the added fleet, but If you want a look I can send you a link through pm.

5 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I have been doing one was well. The only difference is that in my roster, the MTA would’ve leased 10 hybrids (5 from New Flyer for XDE40s, and 5 from NovaBus for LFS HEVs). This is similar to today’s hybrid bus pilot, but instead of being added onto an option order, the buses would be leased for 2 years, swapping depots after one year). After the two year pilot, they would then decide on what hybrid engine to order for the new option order XDE40s and LFS HEVs, which by the way, there would be 400 of the former and 290 of the latter, amending the XD40 and LFS orders. This would begin the phase-out of diesel buses for a cleaner fleet. In addition, I also had changes to the roster, where part of the 414 Bus order from Nova was delivered to Casey Stengel to replace the Orion V and the 72 additional XD40 buses were not added.

Mostly my fantasy fleet consists of 1000 series buses and a few tweaks with other orders to accommodate the renumbered fleet. There are probably a handful of changes I could think of. 1600's and 1700's for 3G Hybrids, 4300-4329 renumbered to 2970-2999, 100 series for XE40s, 6900's for proterras.

5 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Is something I have on a wikia I made. Has a few "fantasy routes" to make room for the added fleet, but If you want a look I can send you a link through pm.

Mostly my fantasy fleet consists of 1000 series buses and a few tweaks with other orders to accommodate the renumbered fleet. There are probably a handful of changes I could think of. 1600's and 1700's for 3G Hybrids, 4300-4329 renumbered to 2970-2999, 100 series for XE40s, 6900's for proterras.

Yes , post me a link .

Just an FYI new EPA diesels are on par with their diesel counterparts and do not pollute much more than a diesel at all. In this day and age, hybrids cost more over the life of the bus than a diesel. I diesel just burns less fuel. That's why over the last decade many agencies have gone back to adding diesels to their fleets.

On 9/26/2018 at 12:43 AM, Cait Sith said:

Vanhool in particular stays out of the American transit market with their coaches, ever since their semi-low floor coach bombed. They still offer 40ft transit buses.

Not to mention they don't meet New York's "Buy America" or "Buy New York" clauses. MTA is however planning to get around this with the future introduction of 37 Alexander-Dennis double-deckers. No federal funds will be used, and some components are said to be built in New York.

On 9/26/2018 at 12:49 AM, MysteriousBtrain said:

3G hybrids? That would have been interesting. Too bad we never got our 3G CNG's. I still remember the day that I broke the news that they were being cancelled.... 😪

On 9/26/2018 at 6:30 AM, JeremiahC99 said:

The XDE40's were not ordered to evaluate the bus. They were ordered to evaluate the hybrid system. If Nova submits a good enough proposal they can get some of the order. It's only guaranteed that NFI will get 60% of the order. Nova still has a chance at up to 40% of it. However, this it is highly unlikely that Nova will get any. They probably won't have the capacity to build them since we are currently awaiting delivery of a fleet of artics and a fleet of 40 footers.  

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I wish we could get some new D4500CT buses, especially for the MTA BC routes. However, it's starting to look like it's a pipe dream (the D45 CRT LE is a meh at best, they could have at least kept the current body of the D4500s and worked from there). 

I'm in full agreement of this. (NJT) has the most of the D4500CT's along with Academy. I wish we didn't have to give (NJT) some of our 2008 or 2013 D4500CT's (correct me please).

The D45CRTLE is okay at best. However, D4500CT's are the favorite and most versatile on the MCI express fleet.

On 9/20/2018 at 10:49 PM, trainfan22 said:

Well there are potentially up to 275 coming in depending on how the order goes. I'm just hoping they go with Allison. Those things are some beasts. I'm not so much a fan of the BAE, and I'm ready for a change in the city. 

3 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I wish we could get some new D4500CT buses, especially for the MTA BC routes. However, it's starting to look like it's a pipe dream (the D45 CRT LE is a meh at best, they could have at least kept the current body of the D4500s and worked from there). 

Yeah, unfortunately the classic D-Series days have been done for quite some time. If MCI had not come out with a new bus, the next order would have surely gone to Prevost. Now it's about a 60% chance it will go to MCI. I'm still waiting to see the the standard D45 CRT HF or HE or whatever New Flyer is calling it. lol

The current body of the MCI is dated, and will be phased out. MCI (New Flyer) would like to move all customers over to the D45 immediately, and would prefer not to take any more orders than they have to.

The bus is essentially an upgraded and modified D4500, with a revised J4500 body. It's reimagined, not all new. This way, they can keep the same proven frame, with a next generation design.

What do you guys wish about our bus fleets(New buses or buses that should be ordered) ?

-Keep the old white and blue livery on future buses since it personally (in my opinion) looks better and cleaner than what we have now, though this is just a pipe dream I know.

-Get more electric buses in the fleet, I love them and they really need to be considered for obvious future reasons.

-(This doesn't relate to the fleets themselves) Stop assigning artics to routes that'll take to it a huge hit in service frequencies, preferably ones like the Q113/Q114 that are isolated in transit deserts, and prone to numerous delays and slowdowns.

One thing I would really want the MTA to consider, especially for the SIM1, is a Nova LFS articulated suburban coach. The idea here is to have some more seats per bus. This would be a special configuration of the Nova LFS suburban, which seats 49 with no rear door, except there would be a narrow rear door in the rear portion, since double-deckers are basically out of the question (owing to clearances in the HLC Tunnel). A configuration of 65-69 seats is possible, with more room for standees per bus.

As for displaced buses, perhaps the S89 could be converted to Prevost operation with local fares, given how the current fleet capped at 40 mph is SLOW on the Bayonne Bridge and 440.

8 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

One thing I would really want the MTA to consider, especially for the SIM1, is a Nova LFS articulated suburban coach. The idea here is to have some more seats per bus. This would be a special configuration of the Nova LFS suburban, which seats 49 with no rear door, except there would be a narrow rear door in the rear portion, since double-deckers are basically out of the question (owing to clearances in the HLC Tunnel). A configuration of 65-69 seats is possible, with more room for standees per bus.

As for displaced buses, perhaps the S89 could be converted to Prevost operation with local fares, given how the current fleet capped at 40 mph is SLOW on the Bayonne Bridge and 440.

Please correct me. The LFSA’s are capped at 40 MPH??? If this is true no wonder why New York City buses are slow. 

Archived