What do you guys wish about our bus fleets(New buses or buses that should be ordered) ?

King Transit

• 2 weeks later...

On 9/30/2018 at 8:34 AM, Future ENY OP said:

Please correct me. The LFSA’s are capped at 40 MPH??? If this is true no wonder why New York City buses are slow. 

ALL non-express buses are capped at between 40 mph and 45 mph, except for maybe a bus here and there. The MCIs and Prevosts are capped between 60 and 65 mph. 

Also, to unify the hard product, there should be some buses in the next order in MTA livery assigned to Academy for the SIM23/4, or Prevosts transferred to Academy for the same. Currently, the hard product on the SIM23/4 varies greatly between ex-GO Transit buses, former NJT-owned D4000s bought by Academy, and older buses transferred from elsewhere in the vast Academy network.

On 9/30/2018 at 12:00 AM, aemoreira81 said:

As for displaced buses, perhaps the S89 could be converted to Prevost operation with local fares, given how the current fleet capped at 40 mph is SLOW on the Bayonne Bridge and 440.

As of now, 2882 is used for S89 operation. This post I posted earlier below shows the approximate times that MCI would be used. Times are subject to change.

SB (Staten Island) - 5:25 PM, 7:40 PM

NB (New Jersey) - 6:20 PM

18 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

ALL non-express buses are capped at between 40 mph and 45 mph, except for maybe a bus here and there. The MCIs and Prevosts are capped between 60 and 65 mph. 

Also, to unify the hard product, there should be some buses in the next order in MTA livery assigned to Academy for the SIM23/4, or Prevosts transferred to Academy for the same. Currently, the hard product on the SIM23/4 varies greatly between ex-GO Transit buses, former NJT-owned D4000s bought by Academy, and older buses transferred from elsewhere in the vast Academy network.

Why should they be in MTA livery if it's not the MTA operating them? Makes no sense.

On 9/30/2018 at 8:34 AM, Future ENY OP said:

Please correct me. The LFSA’s are capped at 40 MPH??? If this is true no wonder why New York City buses are slow. 

On 9/30/2018 at 12:02 PM, Orion6025 said:

All local buses are (supposed to be) capped at 40. The cruisers are 60 or 70, I forget

On 10/10/2018 at 9:03 PM, aemoreira81 said:

That explains the slowness definitely. Did ridership start dropping around the time buses were capped?

One thing I noticed riding NICE bus, they're so much FASTER then NYCT. 

7 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

Part of that probably has to do with the fact that most nassau county routes have sections with far less trafficc whereas NYC buses don't get to go up to speed so often because of traffic, local road speed limits, etc. There aren't many segments where 40 is justified in the grand scheme of all local routes

7 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

That explains the slowness definitely. Did ridership start dropping around the time buses were capped?

That's gonna be hard to determine when so many other factors have led to ridership declining.

6 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Nah, the local buses have been capped at 40 since at least the mid 2000s (I'm not sure before that) bus ridership only started falling off in recent years. Besides, I doubt most local bus routes in NYC get up to the capped speed, so it makes no difference.

As for NICE bus, their buses do seem to accelerate faster than NYCT buses with the same power train (Like the C40s for example) I just assumed NICE gears or specs their power train differently than the MTA does.

2 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Nah, the local buses have been capped at 40 since at least the mid 2000s (I'm not sure before that) bus ridership only started falling off in recent years. Besides, I doubt most local bus routes in NYC get up to the capped speed, so it makes no difference.

Ride some SI routes, you'll be hitting 40 a lot.

58 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

As for NICE bus, their buses do seem to accelerate faster than NYCT buses with the same power train (Like the C40s for example) I just assumed NICE gears or specs their power train differently than the MTA does.

This I can attest to. Back in 2015 before the n20 got split, it was only given 62-65 minutes between Flushing & NYIT (which is obviously not enough time in the middle of the day, only at night). B/Os on the n20 line used to floor it along Northern Boulevard in Queens with the O5's, because they knew they would be late otherwise. Good times~

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2018 at 11:02 PM, trainfan22 said:

They 17-18xx are MTA specs because those were originally Long Island bus. The XN40s are geared the same way most of our C40s are save for a few of them. I think NICE has the buses set-up best for highway-like operations, where as ta has them set-up for more city like operations. 

On 10/12/2018 at 4:58 PM, N6 Limited said:

Part of that is because many NICE drivers aren't driving at 10 mph, they are doing atleast 25+ lol

On 10/13/2018 at 12:04 AM, Axis said:

This I can attest to. Back in 2015 before the n20 got split, it was only given 62-65 minutes between Flushing & NYIT (which is obviously not enough time in the middle of the day, only at night). B/Os on the n20 line used to floor it along Northern Boulevard in Queens with the O5's, because they knew they would be late otherwise. Good times~

I used to ride the n6 to HTC on Sunday mornings and the B/O would floor it all the way to Hempstead and that was to keep on schedule! It was great.  I've been on a N6 Limited that got from Cityline to Franklin Ave in 8 mins! That's when I didn't mind riding the bus.

Now, they turned Hempstead Turnpike into a NYC thoroughfare: out of sync signals, no turn on red, etc. So now the buses have been slowed down across the board.  

1 hour ago, Jdog14 said:

Part of that is because many NICE drivers aren't driving at 10 mph, they are doing atleast 25+ lol

Yes that't was the best part, going down Hempstead Tpke and Hillside ave at 30+mph, passing NYCT buses on Hillside like they were snails. 

2 hours ago, Jdog14 said:

They 17-18xx are MTA specs because those were originally Long Island bus. The XN40s are geared the same way most of our C40s are save for a few of them. I think NICE has the buses set-up best for highway-like operations, where as ta has them set-up for more city like operations. 

I know the 17/1800 buses history, I rode the 1700s when they was new. With that being said, one of the fastest buses I ever been on was a 1700, when they was brand new. 

4 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

I would love to see the XDs, XDEs & XNs more on the streets 

We are getting XDE40’s.  Would be nice to see an XDE60 running in NYC. The XN40’s and XN60’s right now are excellent  

But the way the (MTA) orders buses now at days is so limited and they don’t order in bulk like other agencies do. 

On 10/12/2018 at 11:02 PM, trainfan22 said:

Nah SI busses were all capped at 45 until about the late 2017.

14 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

Gilligs cannot run in NYC, and the way the (MTA) runs them. They won’t even survive 

Says who?

Gillig's quality has gone way, way up in recent years and they already run in cities with challenging environments. Just because NYC's environment is more rough to any vehicle, doesn't mean they wouldn't survive, especially with how good their quality has gotten with their buses. They were also pretty close to getting the contract for NICE bus.

Hell, people were saying that all of the Orion Vs wouldn't survive past 12 years, and most of them did....never say never.

Archived