Bx9 SBS (Unofficial Plan, Study, Feedback)

Lawrence St

On 10/14/2018 at 12:37 AM, WestFarms36 said:

I fixed it for you.

I recommend the Bx9 +SBS+ ending at 225 St. There's not a big market for +SBS+ above 225 St, the local is fine making trips to 262 St. Plus +SBS+ would be more than fine running between W Farms Sq-225 St as it is basically doing the busiest stretch of the route.

How are you making that call? Where are you getting ridership information and numbers from? Again what are the Riverdale headways? I'll signs point to service reductions.

18 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Thank you! 

It's been a while since I've used the Bx9 growing up there was decent ridership. Especially at peak hours. A SBS short turn would have to mean longer waits in Riverdale. Show me the ridership Matrix.

On 10/15/2018 at 12:36 PM, RailRunRob said:

It's been a while since I've used the Bx9 growing up there was decent ridership. Especially at peak hours. A SBS short turn would have to mean longer waits in Riverdale. Show me the ridership Matrix.

Local service will not be decreased for Riverdale, during rush hour only 20% of the runs in a week terminate at 225th street, the bus needs a viable detour because we can't put a "faster service" on a traffic prone street.

44 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

Local service will not be decreased for Riverdale, during rush hour only 20% of the runs in a week terminate at 225th street, the bus needs a viable detour because we can't put a "faster service" on a traffic prone street.

There are 31 N/B Bx9 buses leaving WF Between 7-10am Out of that 31 Only 2 short turn currently the 8:56 and the 9:19 AM  those two make up about 6.4% of AM peak service so let's say you split the route and every other bus short turns now at 225-Bway that's 15 peak buses that aren't making the full trip to 262 and back down to 225th that's double the wait time for that part of the line simple math. Via Kingsbridge Ave,Via Baliey two detour options you also have two routes in Brooklyn that split even further from there local counterparts than what's being proposed here The B44 via Rogers and the B82 via Ave L. You can keep the route intact and bypass Broadway 240th-225th it's doable. 

12 hours ago, WestFarms36 said:

You have multiple other options. Short turning the Bx9 SBS would not work.

On 10/17/2018 at 11:47 AM, Lawrence St said:

You have multiple other options. Short turning the Bx9 SBS would not work.

SBS going 262-WF is the best scenario for everyone but is it feasible for them to not short turn runs? On paper all the peak Bx12 SBS runs go to inwood but some runs end up short turning at Sedgwick/University  (some runs from inwood go via 225 to university).  Also, the last couple of Bx41s end at Fordham Plaza and the Bx6s end at Hunts Point (6). Plus KB is right there.

On 10/17/2018 at 12:24 AM, RailRunRob said:

There are 31 N/B Bx9 buses leaving WF Between 7-10am Out of that 31 Only 2 short turn currently the 8:56 and the 9:19 AM  those two make up about 6.4% of AM peak service so let's say you split the route and every other bus short turns now at 225-Bway that's 15 peak buses that aren't making the full trip to 262 and back down to 225th that's double the wait time for that part of the line simple math.

Apart from bunching, the AM Peak schedule works (although I'm not sure why there are 5 262 bound runs bet. 5:58 and 6:08a). 

The issue is the PM. S/B it's running more frequently between 2:27-4:45p (peak school hours) than it is between 4:51-8pm (peak commuting hours).  By the time you hit 630,  every other S/B run starts dropping at 225. You then have 4-5 minute service 262-225 and 7-10 minute headways 225-WF. While we don't have the ridership data in front of us, I think it'd be logical to assume that the bulk of ridership is on the latter stretch and correspondingly that portion should have more service. The schedule also says only 3 w/b runs short turn between 5-8pm and that can't be the case when there are buses turning at 242.  50/50 doesn't work so what would be a realistic split for service?

10 hours ago, Q43 Floral Park said:

50/50 doesn't work so what would be a realistic split for service?

Great Question!! Honestly, I don't have the answer but let's play planner for a bit.  Here are the parameters and questions I'm asking to find or get closer to the answer from my POV.

Current assigned Bus fleet? (Amount of buses)

Route length?

Route Run Time?

Current Headways AM/Mid/PM/EVE?

Sublayer questions.

MTA's past conversion processes?  Local to Limited?  Local to SBS? What's the ratio there? If we don't know what's the ratio of Local to Limited or Local to SBS on other routes? From what we Observe? What SBS routes are similar in length currently?

I'm going to do some research on my end see what I can come up with.

On 10/19/2018 at 10:34 AM, RailRunRob said:

Great Question!! Honestly, I don't have the answer but let's play planner for a bit.  Here are the parameters and questions I'm asking to find or get closer to the answer from my POV.

Current assigned Bus fleet? (Amount of buses)

Route length?

Route Run Time?

Current Headways AM/Mid/PM/EVE?

Sublayer questions.

MTA's past conversion processes?  Local to Limited?  Local to SBS? What's the ratio there? If we don't know what's the ratio of Local to Limited or Local to SBS on other routes? From what we Observe? What SBS routes are similar in length currently?

I'm going to do some research on my end see what I can come up with.

The Bx9's headways are always scattered throughout the whole route because of that chokepoint along Broadway. At times you can have 5 buses back to back in the opposite direction and still wait a while.

Archived