163rd St-Amsterdam Av Station Reopening Tour

163rd St-Amsterdam Av (IND Eighth Avenue Line) is back in full operation after being closed for 6 months for renovation as part of the Enhanced Station Initiative (ESI) program. The station reopened this past Thursday at 12 noon. It features new entrances with LED info screen, artwork containing, and new gateway entrances. The station is located in the neighborhood of Washington Heights. I like the expanded artwork of the station, but once again, no USB ports on the side of the LCD info screens. Lastly, this tour can’t be complete without some subway action; R32 and R160 (C) Trains, with the (A) serving the station during late nights.  Please enjoy the station tour.

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Agree... They should've re-tiled the walls...

I disagree. I am glad that they kept the IND tiles. I was worried before I saw the pictures of 110th Street. If anything, at the stops on Fourth Avenue, they should have restored the BMT tiles.

14 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

I disagree. I am glad that they kept the IND tiles. I was worried before I saw the pictures of 110th Street. If anything, at the stops on Fourth Avenue, they should have restored the BMT tiles.

Well that's what I mean. The station won't be touched for some decades so why not do a full restoration?

4 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Considering the need for increased ADA accessibility and that they removed the stairs to the closed the 163rd St entrances, why couldn't they add an elevator in its place? It'd be so simple since the shaft would already be in place. 

That's something I wished all these ESI and renovated stations had. I guess the cost and installation of elevators and what not are too much $$$ for the MTA. Especially for an initiative meant to modernize existing station infrastructure.

Too bad at 163rd they didn't plan to open the 163rd Street exit. They could have added a new head house like 96 and 72 and Bway. You can't have stop 163rd without a real exit on 163rd. Also along the Concourse line , from 161 to 205th all those stations have 2 exits except 182-183, Why?

Archived