Last Day of Existing B82(Recaps?)

King Transit

I'm going to say this... The B82 is not going anywhere. You guys are really going out of portion with this.

The 82SBS will be a weekday operation + with local bus service continuing.

I'm going to be honest with this. The 82 doesn't need SBS. It needed a modified limited service schedule. 

However, with this SBS service is going running until 11PM, too bad it doesn't have weekend service which to me it really needs.

Hopefully,  TA can give the 82 SBS weekend service just like the Bx41 when it had its weekday ops converted to 7 day ops.

47 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

I'm going to say this... The B82 is not going anywhere. You guys are really going out of portion with this.

The 82SBS will be a weekday operation + with local bus service continuing.

I'm going to be honest with this. The 82 doesn't need SBS. It needed a modified limited service schedule. 

However, with this SBS service is going running until 11PM, too bad it doesn't have weekend service which to me it really needs.

Hopefully,  TA can give the 82 SBS weekend service just like the Bx41 when it had its weekday ops converted to 7 day ops.

I honestly agree. The B82 SBS is a waste in my opinion. Just slap on some bus lanes and have an increased limited service.

11 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I honestly agree. The B82 SBS is a waste in my opinion. Just slap on some bus lanes and have an increased limited service.

The whole route needed a restructure. To build ridership to Coney Island, eliminate the runs that short turn at Bay 37th Street. Instead, have ALL runs terminate at Coney Island every day, so that way, there would be better service along Cropsey Avenue and to the People’s Playground.

You Are also right about just slapping the bus lanes and increasing the span of LTD service without SBS-ing the whole route, but do you think that they would’ve also implemented the two reroutes without SBS? I wonder why they waited for SBS to implement those needed lanes and reroutes? Were they trying to snag those federal funds before other cities, who honestly deserve those funds more than New York, get them?

The B82 is going nowhere (unfortunately).... Quite sure the MTA realizes they dropped the ball with the creation of this route.

Riders on both ends of the route deserve better.... SBS won't be a detriment per se, but it sure as hell won't be a cure either.....

16 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

The whole route needed a restructure. To build ridership to Coney Island, eliminate the runs that short turn at Bay 37th Street. Instead, have ALL runs terminate at Coney Island every day, so that way, there would be better service along Cropsey Avenue and to the People’s Playground.

I'm inclined to agree, but you can only have but so many BPH circling in & out of Mermaid Loop....

39 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

The B82 is going nowhere (unfortunately).... Quite sure the MTA realizes they dropped the ball with the creation of this route.

Riders on both ends of the route deserve better.... SBS won't be a detriment per se, but it sure as hell won't be a cure either.....

I'm inclined to agree, but you can only have but so many BPH circling in & out of Mermaid Loop....

SBS on the 82 was honestly a waste. A better LTD service and bus lanes would've fixed this issue without the need for the whole line going SBS.

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

What’s the capacity of the Mermaid Loop and would it need costly renovations to carry additional 40’ buses as well as any articulated buses that might show up one day?

34 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

SBS on the 82 was honestly a waste. A better LTD service and bus lanes would've fixed this issue without the need for the whole line going SBS.

Totally agree. Again, I say that this SBS move was just a grab for the federal funds involved before other cities, who are honestly more deserving of it for their actually workable and beneficial bus rapid transit projects, could get it. I’m sure that the reroutes and expanded LIMITED service could’ve been done without SBS, but it would’ve meant getting the funds out of their operating budget.

17 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

The 74, 68 are the main culprits on Stillwell. 

To this day, and honestly the 82 should of went to Ulmer Park and not East New York. Essentially these East NY buses stop in front of Ulmer Park. Also, the route needs a split. 

48 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Preaching to the choir, bud'.... Wasted enough posts on here regarding how unnecessary a B82 SBS is (in one of those SBS threads, earlier this year).....

21 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

What’s the capacity of the Mermaid Loop and would it need costly renovations to carry additional 40’ buses as well as any articulated buses that might show up one day?

Don't know the actual number... But I easily can tell you that the amount of BPH that would result from having every B82 trip, every B68, and the B74 go in & out of there, simply isn't happening.... Hell, you have B74's (and even some B82's) with the current setup, that go on layover on the SW corner of Mermaid/Stillwell (across from the McDonalds)....

Mermaid loop isn't as big as people think it is...... The B64 doesn't (can't) even terminate in there; it only uses the loop to turnaround for the trip back to Bay Ridge.....

IDK, but something that I feel will happen, not just with the B82 SBS, but with all of the other local/SBS routes is that the local counterpart will end up being modified routing wise, whether it is broken up and extended somewhere, or given a new routing, and so on, while the SBS counterpart stays the same (for the most part), so that the MTA can justify the need for the SBS route more.

19 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

IDK, but something that I feel will happen, not just with the B82 SBS, but with all of the other local/SBS routes is that the local counterpart will end up being modified routing wise, whether it is broken up and extended somewhere, or given a new routing, and so on, while the SBS counterpart stays the same (for the most part), so that the MTA can justify the need for the SBS route more.

I think both will be modified, since demand for routes will change in 3 years. If they were able to rip up 3 SBS machines on the B46 SBS and relocate them across the street worth no problems, I think they can rip up three machines on the and take them to another location and reprogram them. I mean what is the biggest obstacle for doing that, other than costs and locations?

2 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

How far forward into the future are we talking here? Because if we're talking about the ultimate end goal, oh, I think it's going to be worse than that....

SBS will become the "local bus" of the future (i.e, the norm') & won't have any counterpart of any kind.

4 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

How far forward into the future are we talking here? Because if we're talking about the ultimate end goal, oh, I think it's going to be worse than that....

SBS will become the "local bus" of the future (i.e, the norm') & won't have any counterpart of any kind.

Isn't SBS suppose to be Select stops (except for crosstown routes.)?

5 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Isn't SBS suppose to be Select stops (except for crosstown routes.)?

Yep....

The point was, if the whole local network (as we currently know it) will end up being comprised of buses making less stops (which I honestly believe is the end goal with bus service in this city when it's all said & done), making select stops, it's no longer unique.... Hence, the derisive putting of "local bus" in quotes.

The section of Kings Highway with minimal bus lanes hasn't remained unchanged. The DOT has banned left turns from Kings Highway to many local streets, and in situations where left turns can be made from a diverging street. They also banned left turns from Quentin Rd onto E 12 St, which I think is stupid because it's a low-traffic Stop-All Way intersection. They converted one side of E 17 St to angled parking between Av P and Kings Hwy, and converted Quentin Rd to westbound only between Coney Island Av and E 12 St to convert one side of the street to angled parking. They also connected the eastern tip of the triangle at Quentin Rd between E 12 and E 13 Streets to the E 13 St crosswalk using a striped off area, which means there is a bunch of space that could have safely been used for parking but is instead off limits. They have also restriped Kings Hwy, making the parking lane wider and clearly delineating bus stops. They banned left turns onto E 18 St from Avenue P, which I don't understand.

I believe the only bus lanes between McDonald Av and Ocean Av are westbound from E 17 to E 15 St, and eastbound from E 15 to E 16 St. I honestly don't know why they felt the need to convert the westbound block in front of the new Planet Fitness/CVS/Modells building to a bus lane, but it's there. I wasn't paying extremely close attention so there might be more small stretches of bus lanes that I didn't see.

The SBS bus stops are longer now, presumably to be compatible with 60 ft buses in the far future.

21 minutes ago, P3F said:

The section of Kings Highway with minimal bus lanes hasn't remained unchanged. The DOT has banned left turns from Kings Highway to many local streets, and in situations where left turns can be made from a diverging street. They also banned left turns from Quentin Rd onto E 12 St, which I think is stupid because it's a low-traffic Stop-All Way intersection. They converted one side of E 17 St to angled parking between Av P and Kings Hwy, and converted Quentin Rd to westbound only between Coney Island Av and E 12 St to convert one side of the street to angled parking. They also connected the eastern tip of the triangle at Quentin Rd between E 12 and E 13 Streets to the E 13 St crosswalk using a striped off area, which means there is a bunch of space that could have safely been used for parking but is instead off limits. They have also restriped Kings Hwy, making the parking lane wider and clearly delineating bus stops. They banned left turns onto E 18 St from Avenue P, which I don't understand.

I believe the only bus lanes between McDonald Av and Ocean Av are westbound from E 17 to E 15 St, and eastbound from E 15 to E 16 St. I honestly don't know why they felt the need to convert the westbound block in front of the new Planet Fitness/CVS/Modells building to a bus lane, but it's there. I wasn't paying extremely close attention so there might be more small stretches of bus lanes that I didn't see.

The SBS bus stops are longer now, presumably to be compatible with 60 ft buses in the far future.

1) No left turns in both directions on Kings Highway?  

2) As for Avenue P. No left turn on East 18 heading towards Kings Highway for cars.  

Overall area: TOTAL MESS. 

Archived