NYC subway gets ‘group station managers’ to ensure clean stations

Via Garibaldi 8

On 10/4/2018 at 8:33 PM, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Today, I walk into the Forest Hills platform at 63rd Drive - Rego Park heading to school. There was this one homeless dude smoking on the platform. (I start coughing) but I look at him thinking in my head “Bro, What the fu-“ and kept walking. I wonder if Station managers would solve relatively minor issues such as this. Because that’s something you’re not supposed to do in the subway. And homeless (in my opinion) have No place in our system when we’re all trying to get to our destinations.

On 10/4/2018 at 9:00 PM, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

One thing I wish this agency and plan will address! Enforce a punishment of sorts on them (maybe the managers can kindly ask them to stop, or take action upon a second offense), since putting up a sign or doing nothing at all will result to, well, nothing...

On 10/4/2018 at 9:04 PM, Union Tpke said:

The same homeless person smokes in one of the staircases at Kew Gardens. Usually people like him just do it upstairs, but this is getting ridiculous.

On 10/4/2018 at 9:08 PM, Union Tpke said:

This is an epidemic. So many people do this. I caught a classmate of mine last school year doing that on the subway. I told him to stop and he did. He is very smart so this shocked me. He claimed he wasn't addicted. These companies are doing exactly what Big Tobacco did.

For issues like this, call 911. As a supervisor (another system) it’s not my job to address this condition, not only do I not have any authority, but I have no was to protect my self if the person attacks me. And yes, it’s the same for TA supervisors.

On 10/4/2018 at 10:07 PM, RR503 said:

Still one of my favorite subway stories was when I saw someone someone light up a joint between cars. Lighter kept going out because of the wind, but eventually she got a good session in. 

I might've been 18 or 19 - visiting of course, but I was on a late night (D) and literally watched a homeless man get on at 145 with a lit Newport, walk slowly through the car and exit at 155 without a turnback or losing a step.

That's when I knew NYC was cool.

On 10/1/2018 at 8:58 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

All I know is they need to hire SEVERAL managers at 57th and 7th. That station is going to the dogs and fast. The last few weekends I've used it, the smell was so revolting as I was coming down stairs that I had to cover my nose.  I don't know what's going on at that station, but it smells like @ss multipled by four, and then the platform and stairs are FILTHY, as if they have never been power washed.  I also for the first time ever saw homeless people congregating about on the platforms.  Even had one guy lighting up a cigarette sitting on the bench.

Having several managers for a single station is counter productive since the whole idea of the program is to have a single person that CTAs, clerks, and supervisors can go to to get things done. What you really want is more CTAs, painters, and other station maintenance workers so that when the group manager is made aware of an issue, he (or she) has a workforce to send after an issue and correct it.

6 hours ago, INDman said:

Having several managers for a single station is counter productive since the whole idea of the program is to have a single person that CTAs, clerks, and supervisors can go to to get things done. What you really want is more CTAs, painters, and other station maintenance workers so that when the group manager is made aware of an issue, he (or she) has a workforce to send after an issue and correct it.

I guess you didn’t catch my sarcasm. Quite frankly I don’t see the point of having group station managers. I mean all you need to do is walk into the station and you immediately are hit with the stench before you’re even on the mezzanine. One person can have cleaners or whatever maintain the station.

Archived