Lack of overpasses/underpasses between directions

R68OnBroadway

1 hour ago, Lance said:

What serves Fulton St local? And don't say the (E) because that's a non-starter. Also, turning 20 or so trains per hour at the compact Church Av terminal seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

He isn't gonna dignify us with a true response to our response ('politics'), so why should we take the time to care. That's my new tack with this.

23 hours ago, Lance said:

What serves Fulton St local? And don't say the (E) because that's a non-starter. Also, turning 20 or so trains per hour at the compact Church Av terminal seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

Moot point for now because you can't have the (C) to Broadway-Lafayette due to congestion there, which eliminates this idea.

On 10/8/2018 at 1:10 PM, RR503 said:

The only station I can think of where a new crossunder would be useful is Bergen on Culver. Most — if not all — Manhattan bound (G) riders transfer to the (A)(C) at Hoyt regardless of their destination, as you really have to ride to Smith 9th before you have a convenient crossover to the (F) (Carroll has, but it’s at the extreme end of the platform, a good distance from where the (G) stops). Putting one in at Bergen would allow a convenient connection — and could be done with little construction impact on traffic, as the LL is OOS. 

At the very least, an out of system transfer between sides would be appreciated.   

An underpass at Bergen Street would be a total waste, way too many stairs when you can just go to Carroll Street.

7 hours ago, INDman said:

An underpass at Bergen Street would be a total waste, way too many stairs when you can just go to Carroll Street.

Elevator down, walk across, elevator back up. 2 mins max. Certainly faster than walking all the way to the south end of Carroll only to have to suffer through GTlandia coming back north into Bergen.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2018 at 1:10 PM, RR503 said:

The only station I can think of where a new crossunder would be useful is Bergen on Culver. Most — if not all — Manhattan bound (G) riders transfer to the (A)(C) at Hoyt regardless of their destination, as you really have to ride to Smith 9th before you have a convenient crossover to the (F) (Carroll has, but it’s at the extreme end of the platform, a good distance from where the (G) stops). Putting one in at Bergen would allow a convenient connection — and could be done with little construction impact on traffic, as the LL is OOS. 

At the very least, an out of system transfer between sides would be appreciated.   

Even more important than Bergen is 50th Street. For riders like myself who have to go from Queens to the UWS every now and then, transferring from the (E) to the Uptown (C) would be great! On weekends, I have to take the (F) to Rockefeller for the (D) to the (C) or (1) -three trains, or the (E) to Seventh Avenue to the (D) to the (C) or (1). This would make it two trains

2 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

Even more important than Bergen is 50th Street. For riders like myself who have to go from Queens to the UWS every now and then, transferring from the (E) to the Uptown (C) would be great! On weekends, I have to take the (F) to Rockefeller for the (D) to the (C) or (1) -three trains, or the (E) to Seventh Avenue to the (D) to the (C) or (1). This would make it two trains

I couldn’t agree with you more. I work on the Upper West Side and on the weekends it is terrible that I have to transfer to the (D) and then to the (C) just to complete my trip. It’s bad enough the (C) isn’t all that frequent either so just imagine getting to 59th and missing the (C) just as the (D) has almost stopped. That has happened to me so many times and I had to wait 12-15 minutes additional minutes on top of the minutes I had to spend waiting for the (D) before. 

50th street is definitely one of those neglected stations that should have more of its entrances open and a underpass, but the (MTA) will probably claim that riders can just go to 42nd street, which I honestly don’t think that’s fair due to how misaligned the two platforms are. Being in the first car of a downtown train means that you have to walk a full platforms length to the last car of the uptown train. That station is just horrible in my opinion.

On 10/18/2018 at 11:31 PM, INDman said:

Only worth it if you can do the work necessary to reopen Bergen Lower, which would allow for a full (F) express or in the future some other line that operates as the Fulton Express.

On 8/12/2019 at 1:23 AM, NewFlyer 230 said:

I couldn’t agree with you more. I work on the Upper West Side and on the weekends it is terrible that I have to transfer to the (D) and then to the (C) just to complete my trip. It’s bad enough the (C) isn’t all that frequent either so just imagine getting to 59th and missing the (C) just as the (D) has almost stopped. That has happened to me so many times and I had to wait 12-15 minutes additional minutes on top of the minutes I had to spend waiting for the (D) before. 

50th street is definitely one of those neglected stations that should have more of its entrances open and a underpass, but the (MTA) will probably claim that riders can just go to 42nd street, which I honestly don’t think that’s fair due to how misaligned the two platforms are. Being in the first car of a downtown train means that you have to walk a full platforms length to the last car of the uptown train. That station is just horrible in my opinion.

It would be nice if connections were taken into account during non-rush service.. If the (C) is running in 10min+ intervals, the conductor should wait 15 seconds to let the (D) passengers transfer. On the other hand many times trains on the way to Southern Brooklyn ( (4)(5)(R) , etc) get delayed and I miss the LIRR at Atlantic Terminal, sometimes by less than a minute.

As for the 42nd street transfer, I had to deal with that a few weeks ago. I had JUST missed the downtown (B) at 59th Street because the (A) crawled in every so slowly , so I stayed on the (A) to 42nd street. On the ride to the next stop I realized that I was in the front of the train and had to walk ALL the way back to cross over for the Queens bound (E). Not only that, I went up the southern most fight of stairs, so I exited fare control and swiped back in (I wasn't about to go through the trouble to stay in fare control when I have an unlimited card).