65 new flat cars for MTA

GojiMet86

https://www.railwayage.com/mw/harsco-rail-lands-nymta-equipment-contract/

Harsco Rail lands NYMTA equipment contract

Written by William C. Vantuono, Editor-in-Chief

October 15, 2018

The New York Metropolitan Transportation Authority has awarded Harsco Rail a multi-year contract valued at approximately $40 million for 65 maintenance-of-way flat cars to support MTA New York City Transit subway projects.

The contract calls for construction and delivery of all 65 cars by the end of 2021. Construction of the first flat car is scheduled to begin immediately. The first delivery is expected in July 2019, after which two new flat cars will be delivered per month. MTA purchased the cars “to support ongoing construction throughout the New York City subway system that will improve subway performance and passenger ride quality,” Harsco Rail said.

“New York’s subway system has more stations than any transit system in the world, and provides more than one billion rides per year,” said Harsco Rail President Jeswant Gill. “Harsco Rail could not be more pleased to partner with the MTA to help ensure a safer, more comfortable trip for customers.”

On 10/15/2018 at 11:46 PM, QM1to6Ave said:

Each one of those cars costs $600,000? Jeez. They should at least be able to put chairs on them and offer "open air" tours of the tunnels to tourists to make some of that money back LOL

Remember kids:

The dollar gets weaker eeeevery day. 

20 hours ago, INDman said:

Hopefully they work better than the last order of flats which didn’t like to stay on the rails.

I don't remember the last order of flats but I recall a night back in '84 or '85 when I was a transfer guy and I got called away from my regular job at 239th  and sent up to 240th yard for an emergency job. A brand new flat came off the rails in the barn. My partner and I and a motor instructor were tasked with taking the flat and some rider cars to 207th St yard. There was no flyover between the IRT and 207th back then so we had to travel at restricted speed from one end to the other. Southbound to the ferry and around the loop and up the Lex to the Jerome line. Held at Burnside middle for a few hours and held again at Kingsbridge middle where the motor instructor bailed on us.  His tour was over for the day. My partner and I went down to Concourse yard, added two B division rider cars to the ends of our consist, and slowly headed south to 125th and St. Nick where we again reversed and headed north to 207th yard. We had to wait for a few hours on the outskirts of the yard before we were admitted. From yard to yard everything was at 10 mph or less. After all of that the IND yardmaster up there didn't want his switchmen to touch the transfer so my partner and I had to drill it out and spot the flat car in the barn. We signed on at 239th yard in the Bronx at 6 pm and had to go back to 240th St to sign out. The IND yardmaster wouldn't let us sign out there ( it was possible ) because of some beef he had with the IRT supervision in the past. When we got back to 240th the am yardmaster was on duty and he was shocked because when we left there the pm boss was on duty. When we explained what happened to us that night he called the IRT Desk Trainmaster and the IND counterpart and together they decided that we were entitled to extra compensation so we got paid OT, extra OT, " no lunch pay " and, as a bonus because I lived at New Lots, travel time back to that location instead of 239th yard. I arrived back at NL station at 9:50 am, the station where I boarded my train to 239th yard at 4 pm the day before. That's one of the reasons I always got along with the upper rungs of supervision, LOL. For some reason it always seemed to me that some of the local supervisors had a chip on their shoulder whereas the higher ups were easy to get to know and work with. Thanks INDman for bringing back something I'd almost forgotten about. Carry on.

Archived