Subway crisis, transit deserts call for LIRR, Metro-North fare reductions, Stringer says

Via Garibaldi 8

12 minutes ago, RR503 said:

He, but the complement is appreciated lmao ;)

(Facepalm) Mistype if you haven't noticed my Irregular and erratic grammar is a Hodgepodge of verbal dictation and auto corrections (Mac/iPhone) lol.. Somehow I always feel as if it's going to somehow work better the next time around.. But I always find myself making corrections after. Oh how Tech has made me lazy!!

12 minutes ago, RR503 said:

This is the key question. There's a good bit that can be done with regularizing stopping patterns, operating faster turns, moving to MLV EMUs and the like, but after even a little bit of improvement in that vein, you run up against the ridiculous number of level interlockings and inefficient terminals that define the system's capacity. So really, to make more than the most incremental of improvements, there has to be a good deal of investment in the base infrastructure. 

One area where I think the RRs could start performing tomorrow, though, is in off-peak service. The fact that the majority of the NYC regional rail system sees only hourly service on weekends is a crime. I think for transit to be at all attractive in the suburbs, it needs to be a package -- something functional at all times of day. So I'd push for >2tph frequencies everywhere in electric territory from 6AM to 12AM. Otherwise, you're mailing ridership to the roads with a bow on top. 

Great points!  

22 hours ago, RR503 said:

You can cross over to the 'right' side before you ramp up, yes. 

He, but the complement is appreciated lmao ;)

This is the key question. There's a good bit that can be done with regularizing stopping patterns, operating faster turns, moving to MLV EMUs and the like, but after even a little bit of improvement in that vein, you run up against the ridiculous number of level interlockings and inefficient terminals that define the system's capacity. So really, to make more than the most incremental of improvements, there has to be a good deal of investment in the base infrastructure. 

One area where I think the RRs could start performing tomorrow, though, is in off-peak service. The fact that the majority of the NYC regional rail system sees only hourly service on weekends is a crime. I think for transit to be at all attractive in the suburbs, it needs to be a package -- something functional at all times of day. So I'd push for >2tph frequencies everywhere in electric territory from 6AM to 12AM. Otherwise, you're mailing ridership to the roads with a bow on top. 

What ever happened to the DMU exploration? IIRC they were looking into getting scoots and making even East End service hourly.

If the Brits can get bi-mode DEMU tilting high speed rail sets then the least we can do is get some hourly weekend service on the diesel lines.

Archived