holding doors

nipaaaa

The situation with people holding the doors is very much a chicken and egg scenario...

People are desperate to get on a train at the last minute because of the long wait times and delays but we can't add more trains on crowded lines because of long dwells cause by people holding doors (among other things) 

4 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

The situation with people holding the doors is very much a chicken and egg scenario...

People are desperate to get on a train at the last minute because of the long wait times and delays but we can't add more trains on crowded lines because of long dwells cause by people holding doors (among other things) 

Exactly and even with the countdown clocks it doesn't matter because they often times aren't accurate.  People should give themselves more time but then again I do just that and still have to scramble with the subway so that old line doesn't work either.  Trips just take a lot longer than what they should. On Saturdays, sometimes I take the subway to go into Brooklyn and the train crawls and we sit at every single stop. It adds a good 15 minutes to the trip, not including any other issues.

9 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Like my Bronx cousins told me when I moved here: "We know another train is coming. We don't know when it's coming cuz it's New York."

13 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Absolutely false. People hold the doors even on 2 minute headways.

Some of these people will try to SQUISH themselves onto a crowded train knowing dam well they won't fit. Some lady kept slamming into me to get on even though she wouldn't fit and she wouldnt let the doors close, so I pushed her right back out and held my ground while the doors closed.

49 minutes ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

I saw some door holding in Paris and Spain too. Not as much as here thoug. 

Where I lived we didn't have a subway, but I did take the subway very briefly when I would travel in Rome. There's one that serves a few stops, but not nearly as extensive as the (MTA) subway so it's a different animal.  

11 hours ago, Bmpo7 said:

Absolutely false. People hold the doors even on 2 minute headways.

That's exactly my point though...

Riders aren't trusting the scheduled headways and trying to squeeze on the first train they see, which then delays the train further and there goes your 2 minute headways. I see it at Grand Central on the Lex all the time.

Hey here's are some great suggestions:

1) Close the doors with NO mercy what so ever (and don't reopen them) (I heard one case like this on the (A) line  

2) Threaten to take the train Out of Service. (One time on the (F) line, too many people were holding the doors. This lead for the conductor to THREATEN the passengers that she'd take the train out of service. I was there, in the (F) laughing my ass off)

6 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Hey here's are some great suggestions:

1) Close the doors with NO mercy what so ever (and don't reopen them) (I heard one case like this on the (A) line  

2) Threaten to take the train Out of Service. (One time on the (F) line, too many people were holding the doors. This lead for the conductor to THREATEN the passengers that she'd take the train out of service. I was there, in the (F) laughing my ass off)

3) get taken out of service by a TSS for violating the rules and possibly get days in the street.

I wish passengers knew how much they contribute to delays by holding doors, while by no means is the system perfect I'm willing to bet that 70% of time when a train is given a skip it's because of folks holding doors along the line.

Thank god for local recycle.

On 10/19/2018 at 12:16 PM, Around the Horn said:

Riders aren't trusting the scheduled headways and trying to squeeze on the first train they see, which then delays the train further and there goes your 2 minute headways. I see it at Grand Central on the Lex all the time.

If a train fails to make it to Rogers Junction on its slot your 2 minute headways just became 5 mins. 13 (4) + 12 (5) = 25 tph. Not 2 minutes. (4) is backbone of Lex Exp, (5)s are random extras when they show up.

Holding doors during rush hour is one thing. But other times when the next train is in 10-20+ mins, you want to get on that train by all means.

Also, I've been on trains where the Conductor was just so quick to close the door, only for the train to sit there before proceeding, or the train crawled or got held between stations.

Archived