R Train in Bay Ridge

Via Garibaldi 8

1 minute ago, bimmer4me said:

Oh forget it. As much as I am an advocate for the R train " not being THAT bad club" I refuse to take it any further than Court Street unless I have too. I often will opt for the local N  over the R. I usually hop on an express train and walk from 59th if I have to go to Bay Ridge.

I just find it weird that there are such large gaps in service given what the schedules say.  Do they break down often or what? Even late nights going to Bay Ridge with the shuttles was bad.

Just now, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I just find it weird that there are such large gaps in service given what the schedules say.  Do they break down often or what? Even late nights going to Bay Ridge with the shuttles was bad.

You talking about those buses they used to run? I remember seeing them jammed with people. That must have been miserable.

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

No, the shuttle (R) trains that would run at night to and from Bay Ridge.

I probably didn't even notice. I wouldn't be surprised if they broke down a lot. They also clean the cars at the last stop...Maybe they were short on bodies back then?

19 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

It's been bad for years, but its gotten particularly bad as the R46's have reached their 40's and beyond...

It became even more apparent how bad the full (R) route is after we had that nice little taste of on time service when it was only going to Court St and had all new trains in 2013.

Has service gotten better since they extended many of the old Whitehall short-turns in the evening?

On 10/18/2018 at 12:25 AM, Around the Horn said:

I mean he always could call for the MTA to do one of those full line reviews (speaking of which: whatever happened to those?)

I remember Gentile calling for an (R) line review in 2015 or 2016 and the MTA told him it would have to wait until after SAS opened. Its been almost two years...

Explain to me how it is that an agency looking to be efficient isn't reviewing operations regularly?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2018 at 12:26 AM, P3F said:

I always chuckle when I think of the (R) being scheduled to run every six minutes, because of how many times I've gotten off a (B) train with an (R) conductor closing the doors just in time to prevent me from transferring across the platform, and the next (R) being 15 or more minutes away. Hope it's not windy on Flatbush Av, because if it is, the walk to Downtown Brooklyn is going to be miserable.

A band-aid solution (that can be applied without addressing the core issues) is simply to extend certain (W) or (J) trains south along the (R), to provide extra service when it would be most helpful.

P.S. This thread should probably migrate over to the subways' forum.

Interestingly I was searching for a post of @RR503‘s concerning running the (K) in place of the (R) in Queens for a map he posted, when I discovered this thread. I do realize it’s been almost two weeks since someone last posted here and that it’s in the bus forum. Probably it’s because so many people opt for the express buses over the (R) due to reliability, actual or perceived. 

That said, I’ve long been in favor of extending either the (J) or (W) down there to provide additional service. 

On 10/18/2018 at 12:07 PM, RR503 said:

36 is my record -- 2:00 PM on a Saturday afternoon.

The 46s aren't at fault here. It's the piss-poor planning of how that line interacts with QB on weekends. What they should have done is what they did for the EF to Forest Hills GO from a year or so back. Cut the R to Queens Plaza, turning on D5, and then increase E F frequencies to fill the gap. You'd then have:

W is hard to swing without screwing Bay Ridge; the need for yard access and parallelism with the N means you'd probably have to send them down Sea Beach to, say, Kings Highway. J could be doable, but I don't know if Bay Ridge could turn 22tph (assuming you don't short turn at Broad). 

That’s a good point about extending the (W). Makes it seem like it wouldn’t be of much help for Bay Ridge proper. The Sea Beach Line probably needs that much of a boost in service less so than Bay Ridge/4th Ave Local.  

On 10/18/2018 at 11:04 AM, Around the Horn said:

Don't even get me started with the weekend (R)... it's intolerable. 

I get better service on a weekend from Jenkintown in Philly on SEPTA Regional Rail... That's a disgrace.

And it sounds like if either (J) or (W) service is extended, it may need to be more than just during rush hours. I’ve been reading a lot over the past few years about how bad weekend (R) service is, so maybe the second service should run seven days a week then.

• 4 months later...

Archived