R Train in Bay Ridge

Via Garibaldi 8

I know that the (R) train has always been nicknamed “rarely”, but has it become that bad? I’ve been chatting with people in my Advocacy Group in Bay Ridge via IM who are now doing everything possible to avoid the (R) train, from taking the express bus (even though they hate the higher fare), to taking new Ferry service. My question is, when and how did service on the line become SO bad? I am shocked that the (MTA) and elected officials have let the situation get this bad. 

6 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

It's been bad for years, but its gotten particularly bad as the R46's have reached their 40's and beyond...

It became even more apparent how bad the full (R) route is after we had that nice little taste of on time service when it was only going to Court St and had all new trains in 2013.

Well my question is what exactly could Golden do to improve the situation? It seems like the only solution would be to push for new cars for the line, but that’s an expensive endeavor. I know how bad the (R) is because I myself have spent plenty of nights watching five (N) trains pass by before one measly (R) train showed up, and a lot of that is fleet related. The doors close incredibly slow on the R46 cars, and the whole process is just painful.  It seems to take a lot longer to get in and out of stations with those cars too.

I always chuckle when I think of the (R) being scheduled to run every six minutes, because of how many times I've gotten off a (B) train with an (R) conductor closing the doors just in time to prevent me from transferring across the platform, and the next (R) being 15 or more minutes away. Hope it's not windy on Flatbush Av, because if it is, the walk to Downtown Brooklyn is going to be miserable.

A band-aid solution (that can be applied without addressing the core issues) is simply to extend certain (W) or (J) trains south along the (R), to provide extra service when it would be most helpful.

P.S. This thread should probably migrate over to the subways' forum.

On weekends specifically, the reduced schedule as a result of CBTC work on the QBL has not helped. Granted, the R46 cars are in their forties, so they also will have their problems as well. It's not uncommon to see 20+ minute readings on the countdown clocks. The highest I've ever seen was 32 minutes.

15 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I mean he always could call for the MTA to do one of those full line reviews (speaking of which: whatever happened to those?)

I remember Gentile calling for an (R) line review in 2015 or 2016 and the MTA told him it would have to wait until after SAS opened. Its been almost two years...

So it seems to me that there is plenty of blame to go around. That said, I can understand the frustration. I have the same level of frustration here. We have an assemblyman who seems to be useless despite dealing directly with transportation. Now that it’s an election year, he comes to an (MTA) Board meeting to ask for Mosholu Parkway to be ADA accessible, and NOW they’re talking about 242nd too. Meanwhile when 242nd was rehabbed, the (MTA) refused outright to make the station ADA accessible. The irony is that two of the (MTA) Board members live here in Riverdale, but neither of them use the subway. I see Fernando Ferrer on Metro-North. They did both favor the station getting ADA access, but still.

The real kicker with our assemblyman was when I started having issues getting to work in the morning because of missing express buses, I would inquire with his office about why buses were missing so many days in a row and get a canned response. I’m like what is this? People are getting to work late. You should be on the (MTA) demanding answers. That is one reason I started this Advocacy Group. I got tired of dealing with useless elected officials. I’ve been able to accomplish more in the two weeks or so than my assemblyman has in the years that he’s been in office. It’s pathetic.

10 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

On weekends specifically, the reduced schedule as a result of CBTC work on the QBL has not helped. Granted, the R46 cars are in their forties, so they also will have their problems as well. It's not uncommon to see 20+ minute readings on the countdown clocks. The highest I've ever seen was 32 minutes.

I’m telling you three Sundays ago I wanted the (7) train at 5th Avenue to go one stop. I missed one train and the next one wasn’t due for 20 minutes in the middle of a Sunday afternoon. I couldn’t believe it. I said who in the hell is going to wait that long for a train at this hour? It took me an hour to get from Midtown to Downtown. I’ll say this though. The (MTA) made it clear to me today in speaking with a contact that they are scrapped for cash, so if any elected official goes around campaigning on “improving” transit, I’d be very skeptical.

10 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Don't even get me started with the weekend (R)... it's intolerable. 

I get better service on a weekend from Jenkintown in Philly on SEPTA Regional Rail... That's a disgrace.

5 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Don't even get me started with the weekend (R)... it's intolerable. 

I get better service on a weekend from Jenkintown in Philly on SEPTA Regional Rail... That's a disgrace.

How long are the waits now? I haven't taken the (R) in ages unless there's one coming, otherwise I would them like the plague. I don't miss 20 minute waits a t all. 

11 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

36 is my record -- 2:00 PM on a Saturday afternoon.

The 46s aren't at fault here. It's the piss-poor planning of how that line interacts with QB on weekends. What they should have done is what they did for the EF to Forest Hills GO from a year or so back. Cut the R to Queens Plaza, turning on D5, and then increase E F frequencies to fill the gap. You'd then have:

- R to QP at 6+tph 

- F to 179 via express at 7.5 tph

- E to JC P/A via local at 7.5tph

This keeps you under the throughput cap with only two services -- meaning other areas of those lines can get better-than-shit frequencies. Sure, E riders lose express service, but given that the reasoning behind this particular change was that almost every weekend would have some GO, I don't think that matters too much. 

11 hours ago, P3F said:

A band-aid solution (that can be applied without addressing the core issues) is simply to extend certain (W) or (J) trains south along the (R), to provide extra service when it would be most helpful.

W is hard to swing without screwing Bay Ridge; the need for yard access and parallelism with the N means you'd probably have to send them down Sea Beach to, say, Kings Highway. J could be doable, but I don't know if Bay Ridge could turn 22tph (assuming you don't short turn at Broad). 

20 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Wait a minute... You waited 36 minutes for an (R) train??? I would've said f that and taken an Uber or something. That's insane.

Oh god no. I was at Cortlandt going to Jay, so I bailed for the AC. 

Just now, RR503 said:

Oh god no. I was at 4/9 going to Barclays, so I bailed for the G. 

That day I saw a 20 minute wait for a (7) train at 4pm on a Sunday I said is this for real? I jumped on another (7) going towards Queens, took the (6) down to Brooklyn Bridge (didn't matter since the trains crawl on weekends be it express or local), then walked over to West Broadway to get to where I was going.  All of that took a friggin' hour.  

Just now, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That day I saw a 20 minute wait for a (7) train at 4pm on a Sunday I said is this for real? I jumped on another (7) going towards Queens, took the (6) down to Brooklyn Bridge (didn't matter since the trains crawl on weekends be it express or local), then walked over to West Broadway to get to where I was going.  All of that took a friggin' hour.  

Gross. The (7) gets so f**ked on weekends. 

I messed up BTW — the 36 min time was at Cortlandt not 4/9. 

1 minute ago, RR503 said:

Gross. The (7) gets so f**ked on weekends. 

I messed up BTW — the 36 min time was at Cortlandt not 4/9. 

Still insane either way.  I dunno, but Byford seems to think that things with the subways are on the up and up. He made some good points at the Board meeting in September.  That much I'll give him.

51 minutes ago, RR503 said:

W is hard to swing without screwing Bay Ridge; the need for yard access and parallelism with the N means you'd probably have to send them down Sea Beach to, say, Kings Highway. J could be doable, but I don't know if Bay Ridge could turn 22tph (assuming you don't short turn at Broad). 

The (Z) trains would continue doing what they do, which is turning back at Broad Street to head back to Broadway Junction (and the reverse process in the PM). Only (J) trains would head further south than Broad Street.

The Bay Ridge R isn't  bad AT ALL. Leave earlier. I have never waited anything over 15 minutes for a train and even that is a gross exaggeration.  Bay Ridge is technically at the end  of the line.. I often see them cleaning the cars at the last station. NYC Transit isn't terrible but it needs  a lot of work. One issue with the Bay Ridge R stops is the lack of wheelchair accessible stations. Since we are on the issue the only train I have had issues with is the N train. It seems like every time I need to use it something happens.

Came back when I realized how bad the R is during the weekend. That's all I got folks.

Just now, bimmer4me said:

The Bay Ridge R isn't  bad AT ALL. Leave earlier. I have never waited anything over 15 minutes for a train and even that is a gross exaggeration.  Bay Ridge is technically at the end  of the line.. I often see them cleaning the cars at the last station. NYC Transit isn't terrible but it needs  a lot of work. One issue with the Bay Ridge R stops is the lack of wheelchair accessible stations. Since we are on the issue the only train I have had issues with is the N train. It seems like every time I need to use it something happens.

Easy to say because you haven't been waiting over 15 minutes for a train to come... Just because you haven't waited that long doesn't make it an exaggeration. The people who made the statement aren't exaggerating either.  They're some of the last people to complain...

Just now, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Easy to say because you haven't been waiting over 15 minutes for a train to come... Just because you haven't waited that long doesn't make it an exaggeration. The people who made the statement aren't exaggerating either.  They're some of the last people to complain...

I never said that they were exaggerating, I said that my record of 15 minutes was an exaggeration. 

12 minutes ago, bimmer4me said:

Came back when I realized how bad the R is during the weekend. That's all I got folks.

How are you even suppose to leave earlier if you don't know which trains will or will not show up??? You can wake up earlier, and then not see a single train until way after, and then you're back to square one.

Subway Time is only accurate up to a certain point too. 

4 minutes ago, bimmer4me said:

I never said that they were exaggerating, I said that my record of 15 minutes was an exaggeration. 

Well that's different.  I have a policy with the (R) even in Manhattan. I don't wait for it unless I just went shopping or am taking a stroll somewhere and am not in a rush, otherwise I use the express trains.  Nine times out of ten everything but an (R) comes anyway.  The (N) runs much more frequently. At 57th and 7th, I usually get an (N) a (Q) or a (W).

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Well that's different.  I have a policy with the (R) even in Manhattan. I don't wait for it unless I just went shopping or am taking a stroll somewhere and am not in a rush, otherwise I use the express trains.  Nine times out of ten everything but an (R) comes anyway.  The (N) runs much more frequently.

Oh forget it. As much as I am an advocate for the R train " not being THAT bad club" I refuse to take it any further than Court Street unless I have too. I often will opt for the local N  over the R. I usually hop on an express train and walk from 59th if I have to go to Bay Ridge.

Archived