Winter 2019 Bus Changes

Union Tpke

In laymens (for those that can't see):

Additions:

Q77 gets two additional buses in order to provide a peak headway of 7 minutes (from 9 minutes).

To provide the extra service, the Q46 and Q17 will see reductions because they analyzed the routes to have decreases in ridership:

Reductions:

The Q46 LTD will operate every 3 minutes instead of every 2.5 minutes in the AM

Q17 Local evening service will run every 8 minutes instead of every 7 minutes. 

Q17 LIMITED evening service will run every 9 minutes instead of every 8 minutes.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? They are cutting more Q46 service?!?! I hope these moron planners get crushed to death by the angry mobs that fight to get onto the Q46 every morning. @Via Garibaldi 8 my earlier complaints about the Q46 cuts are doubled! 

They think they are being sneaky by cutting the locals in the fall and the limiteds in the winter. I'm going to make a stink about this to my elected officials, even though they are usually useless lumps of meat. 

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? They are cutting more Q46 service?!?! I hope these moron planners get crushed to death by the angry mobs that fight to get onto the Q46 every morning. @Via Garibaldi 8 my earlier complaints about the Q46 cuts are doubled! 

They think they are being sneaky by cutting the locals in the fall and the limiteds in the winter. I'm going to make a stink about this to my elected officials, even though they are usually useless lumps of meat. 

I'll bet the farm that this is all a setup for eventual SBS service....

Artics, forthcoming.

46 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

They should be putting the artics on now! Let them put all those D60's that are getting retired on the line

Are there enough artics on hand? And can QV fit them?

16 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

In laymens (for those that can't see):

Additions:

Q77 gets two additional buses in order to provide a peak headway of 7 minutes (from 9 minutes).

To provide the extra service, the Q46 and Q17 will see reductions because they analyzed the routes to have decreases in ridership:

Reductions:

The Q46 LTD will operate every 3 minutes instead of every 2.5 minutes in the AM

Q17 Local evening service will run every 8 minutes instead of every 7 minutes. 

Q17 LIMITED evening service will run every 9 minutes instead of every 8 minutes.

Sounds like a revived policy of adding service only when it can be paid for by cutting something else.

7 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

What about Brooklyn, the Bronx, Manhattan, Staten Island & Express winter picks?

Staten Island is still being worked on for the express side. For the local side, I know the S93 is getting additional off-peak service as part of a pilot program to see if ridership builds if they add extra service (really, they should've added the extra service to begin with, because a lot of those midday buses are overcrowded)

20 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Staten Island is still being worked on for the express side. For the local side, I know the S93 is getting additional off-peak service as part of a pilot program to see if ridership builds if they add extra service (really, they should've added the extra service to begin with, because a lot of those midday buses are overcrowded)

The S93 should run on weekends in my opinion. Same with the B82+.

6 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Are there enough artics on hand? And can QV fit them?

Sounds like a revived policy of adding service only when it can be paid for by cutting something else.

I’ll take any number of article on the line at this point. The morning rush is a disaster. Let them park them in Brooklyn and drive over every day for all I care. I am fed up with this nonsense. 

8 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

LMAO... I'll believe it when I see it... Then again, it's an election year... 

Ha! I imagine they will write a letter, MTA will ignore it, and life goes on as usual. My hope is that these letters at least make the MTA pause before the next cut they plan to make 

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Forgive my ignorance but it's hardly a service cut, an extra minute isn't going to end the world.

Easy for you to say. The Q46 is overcrowded during the rush hour. You need all the buses you can get. That half minute cut actually reduces 4 BPH on the route.

See, the MTA documents say they take an hour of data in order to make their decision. IDK exactly how that works, bur they could easily take the rush hour data and consider the weakest portion of the rush hour in order to make it look like a service cut should be made. That's why I don't trust those stats. 

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Forgive my ignorance but it's hardly a service cut, an extra minute isn't going to end the world.

Let me ask you this: If 1-2 minutes make no difference, why would the MTA bother making this change in the first place to reduce headways by 2 minutes on the Q77?  On paper, that may sound small, but think about how many people pack onto each bus. With a bus removed, the ripple effects continue down the line. 

1 minute ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Let me ask you this: If 1-2 minutes make no difference, why would the MTA bother making this change in the first place to reduce headways by 2 minutes on the Q77?  On paper, that may sound small, but think about how many people pack onto each bus. With a bus removed, the ripple effects continue down the line. 

Some people don't think nor do they use the routes. I've used the Q46 and it needs every bus that it has. You have basically several subway lines all ending there in Kew Gardens and these tiny 40 footer buses to deal with all of the crowds getting off of the subway.  No comparison....

20 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Some people don't think nor do they use the routes. I've used the Q46 and it needs every bus that it has. You have basically several subway lines all ending there in Kew Gardens and these tiny 40 footer buses to deal with all of the crowds getting off of the subway.  No comparison....

As I said, forgive my ignorance.

Archived