Winter 2019 Bus Changes

Union Tpke

On 10/20/2018 at 1:27 PM, Lawrence St said:

The S93 should run on weekends in my opinion. Same with the B82+.

Just Saturdays for the S93...from 6:30 AM to 5:30 PM only, every 30 minutes.

As for the Q46, how much service is needed to Glen Oaks? A run or 2 there could get shortened to Springfield.

Wash their hands of the Q1 & they could've had more than their fair share of buses to choose from.

The Q77 is less of a glorified school bus than the Q1 is, so AFAIC, it's a slap in the face to provide extra service for Q77 riders by taking away service from a route that significantly garners more patronage than it, while a route that has even less patronage than it continues to mosey along....

As far as the Q17 aspect of it, I have to be honest.... There's simply too much service on that route b/w Fresh Meadows & Jamaica.

Push come to shove, they should have taken buses from off the Q1 & the Q17, not the Q17 & the Q46....

I see the MTA drastically cutting service along Union Tpke. if it were to become an artic route.... Bunching is an issue on the route & unlike a lot of routes in the system, traffic isn't the main cause of it either....

For as long as I can remember, the Q/46 (formerly the Q/44A) has always had packed buses during the peak periods and many times during non-rush periods as well. There were always lines waiting for that bus and I am going back many years.  

Just take a look at what the Q/46  route serves and the answer is quite clear why increasing the headway makes no sense. It serves a university (St. Johns), Borough Hall, Local courts  and two hospitals (Queens Hospital Center, and Long Island Jewish) all of which are major traffic generators. This is another one of those cases where if the persons that are making the decisions to cut service would come out and take a look at what they are proposing based on the data, then the decision would be reversed. It is quite possible that the data that is being used is flawed as it does not reflect reality of the Q/46.

As far as the Q/77 needing more service, I did not know that there is that many riders using the route on Springfield or Francis Lewis Boulevards as Hillside Avenue is well covered with three routes in addition to the Q/77. 

11 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Wash their hands of the Q1 & they could've had more than their fair share of buses to choose from.

The Q77 is less of a glorified school bus than the Q1 is, so AFAIC, it's a slap in the face to provide extra service for Q77 riders by taking away service from a route that significantly garners more patronage than it, while a route that has even less patronage than it continues to mosey along....

As far as the Q17 aspect of it, I have to be honest.... There's simply too much service on that route b/w Fresh Meadows & Jamaica.

Push come to shove, they should have taken buses from off the Q1 & the Q17, not the Q17 & the Q46....

I see the MTA drastically cutting service along Union Tpke. if it were to become an artic route.... Bunching is an issue on the route & unlike a lot of routes in the system, traffic isn't the main cause of it either....

I mean, does the Q1 even have buses to take? Waiting around for the Q1 is a fool's errand, everybody taking it is usually taking it because it showed up before a Q43.

Hillside needs some enforced bus lanes yesterday; if they existed, you could take the service hours savings and shovel that into some more buses.

Now I'm really getting pissed off by these cuts...one of my local representatives talked to their contact at the MTA, who spoke to the Q46's "scheduling group" (whatever the hell that is). The scheduling group claimed they are changing some Q46 Limiteds and turning them into Q46 Locals in January, but denied that there will be any cuts, so there will still be the same number of buses on the route. 

I now had to send my representative screenshots from the October board materials to show to the MTA regarding these cuts. Either this "scheduling" group has no idea about these approved cuts, or someone is flat out lying. Neither one is a good option. 

39 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Now I'm really getting pissed off by these cuts...one of my local representatives talked to their contact at the MTA, who spoke to the Q46's "scheduling group" (whatever the hell that is). The scheduling group claimed they are changing some Q46 Limiteds and turning them into Q46 Locals in January, but denied that there will be any cuts, so there will still be the same number of buses on the route. 

I now had to send my representative screenshots from the October board materials to show to the MTA regarding these cuts. Either this "scheduling" group has no idea about these approved cuts, or someone is flat out lying. Neither one is a good option. 

Damn straight....

On 10/24/2018 at 6:09 AM, Gotham Bus Co. said:

QV Depot can't fit artics.

Some of the route could be given to Stengel when more artics come in, with Stengel running specifically the Kew Gardens to LIJ service, and all short-turns and Glen Oaks service being out of QV - renumbered to Q45. In exchange, the Q76 and Q31 could move to Queens Village. No further artics are needed for SBS service beyond the 45 currently there (46 when 6126 returns).

6 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

Some of the route could be given to Stengel when more artics come in, with Stengel running specifically the Kew Gardens to LIJ service, and all short-turns and Glen Oaks service being out of QV - renumbered to Q45. In exchange, the Q76 and Q31 could move to Queens Village. No further artics are needed for SBS service beyond the 45 currently there (46 when 6126 returns).

Remember, Stengel is closing soon due to the LGA AirTrain construction.

Just now, Lil 57 said:

Remember, Stengel is closing soon due to the AirTrain.

Where are all the routes for Stengel going to go? College Point, the logical destination, seems pretty full with 315 buses...and Stengel has 224. There is no way College Point can handle all of the northeast Queens NYCTA routes.

10 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

Where are all the routes for Stengel going to go? College Point, the logical destination, seems pretty full with 315 buses...and Stengel has 224. There is no way College Point can handle all of the northeast Queens NYCTA routes.

The Q32 would most likely go to MJQ and the Q44 SBS might go to the Bronx. Also remember that CP is an MTABC depot and until the NYCT and MTABC merger is complete and every bus is equipped with codes for all routes, CS (Or any NYCT) routes can't run out of MTABC depots. 

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

The Q32 would most likely go to MJQ and the Q44 SBS might go to the Bronx. Also remember that CP is an MTABC depot and until the NYCT and MTABC merger is complete and every bus is equipped with codes for all routes, CS (Or any NYCT) routes can't run out of MTABC depots. 

I said this in a post a while ago but with the bus redesign, Casey Stengel depot closing, and he merger that’s Queens will be the most hard hit by it. Queens was widely private bus operated and its one of the most transit desereted boroughs in the city. 

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

The Q44 needs to be extended a little further into the Bronx in my opinion.

13 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

The Q44 needs to be extended a little further into the Bronx in my opinion.

Where would you extend it though? There's nowhere useful for it to go.

--

and if you're going to say extend it up to Fordham and webster or all the way up to bedford park, hell no. That's gonna take one massive s#!t on top of the 44's current reliability issues.

36 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

Where would you extend it though? There's nowhere useful for it to go.

--

and if you're going to say extend it up to Fordham and webster or all the way up to bedford park, hell no. That's gonna take one massive s#!t on top of the 44's current reliability issues.

Let me finish...

The Q44 should honestly be split into two routes with the terminal being Flushing-Main St. The Bronx Zoo-Main St portion should be named the Q45, and the Main St-Jamaica Portion would retain the Q44 designation. 

18 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Let me finish...

The Q44 should honestly be split into two routes with the terminal being Flushing-Main St. The Bronx Zoo-Main St portion should be named the Q45, and the Main St-Jamaica Portion would retain the Q44 designation. 

There's actually quite a lot of through riders. You'd be surprised at the number of Jamaica-Bronx riders (and vice-versa) on the route. Also, terminating more routes in Flushing would just create a bigger traffic mess than it already is. 

4 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

There's actually quite a lot of through riders. You'd be surprised at the number of Jamaica-Bronx riders (and vice-versa) on the route. Also, terminating more routes in Flushing would just create a bigger traffic mess than it already is. 

In the amount of times I've taken the Q44 they can always be up to 30 minutes late because of how long the route is.

2 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

In the amount of times I've taken the Q44 they can always be up to 30 minutes late because of how long the route is.

Route length is not the only factor. There’s traffic, heavy stops, and as BM5 mentioned, many riders use the route to travel between between the two boroughs. This is one of those cases where splitting the line would do more harm than good.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Let me finish...

Riders from the Bx will want to continue further into queens and vice versa. Splicing the 44 like that will just make people's lives more difficult

Archived