Winter 2019 Bus Changes

Union Tpke

13 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

Some of the route could be given to Stengel when more artics come in, with Stengel running specifically the Kew Gardens to LIJ service, and all short-turns and Glen Oaks service being out of QV - renumbered to Q45. In exchange, the Q76 and Q31 could move to Queens Village. No further artics are needed for SBS service beyond the 45 currently there (46 when 6126 returns).

6126 is not stengel’s. Although CS is one of the depots for engineering ops, but that particular bus is not returning. 6126 will head to Manhattan and Brooklyn for training when the next XD60 delivery is set to begin.  

On 10/31/2018 at 11:33 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

There's actually quite a lot of through riders. You'd be surprised at the number of Jamaica-Bronx riders (and vice-versa) on the route. Also, terminating more routes in Flushing would just create a bigger traffic mess than it already is. 

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I've been aware of it - and with there being no subway going Bronx-Queens (like the (G) goes Queens-Brooklyn), it makes sense.... I mean, if there was ever a bus route in this city that could operate as a quote-unquote super limited (or whatever you wish to dub it), it's the Q44 for that reason; regional coverage... But for that to happen, it would have to be de-coupled from the Q20 (as in, the Q20 being the local & the Q44 being the LTD [now SBS] along Main).... The MTA of course would never go for it since it'd require more resources (that & the apparent discontinued support for the LTD brand), but the notion is to run the Q20 local & LTD, with the Q44 running non-stop along Main st b/w QB & Flushing proper..... Just as there are a significant amt. of folks traveling Bronx-Jamaica, there are even more that are going Flushing-Jamaica as well (which is why the current Q44 is more attractive than the other LTD variants of the Jamaica-Flushing routes; Q17 LTD, Q25 LTD, and the Q65 LTD [which is actually faster than some people give it credit for, despite the indirect routing it has up from Jamaica to East Flushing, on over to downtown Flushing])....

In laymens, throughout most of the day, this hypothetical Q44 would only take on pax. [b/w Merrick Blvd & Briarwood (E)(F)], the 2 stops in Flushing [Kissena/Main & {38th-39th}/Main], and everything in the Bronx it currently serves...

As far as actual routing goes, the sole change would happen w/i Queens, north of downtown Flushing... It would run nonstop b/w [38th-39th/Main] & [Lafayette av] in the Bronx via the current Q50 routing.... This is going to be the unpopular opinion, but Union st & Parsons Blvd up there are overserved with overall service, but at the same time. shortchanged with the quality of Q20 service....

Sure, splitting the Q44 is the easiest solution on the surface, but the fact of the matter is that (as was stated) there's simply no real estate to end anymore bus routes on a full time basis in the heart of Flushing.... It's not so much that the Q44 route is too long, as much as it does too much along it (not necessarily the same thing)... One chink in the armor & like Lawrence st. said, buses can easily get delayed of up to 30 mins... Just last week to the day (in the afternoon), I was up in Flushing, and I had the luxury of seeing 3 Q44's back to back to back, just short of the library (NB/Bronx bound)... Standing there screwfaced, tryna cross the street; you'd have thought a new LRT service was implemented or something... Lol....

My personal favorite story/occurrence with the Q44, is the time that Jamaica buses arrived in close proximity (relatively bunched) at Flushing, as well as the Bronx bound buses - at 3:30 in the freakin morning....I was waiting for a Bronx bound bus, but first, a jampacked Q44 heading towards Jamaica arrived across the street first, then about 2 mins. later, a bus about a handful of people short of carrying air, came out of nowhere & eventually pulled right up behind the initial bus.... About 10 mins. after the Jamaica bound buses left, a crushloaded Bronx bound Q44 pulled up... Having felt like a damn good fantrip was about to be abruptly shot to shit, I said out loud, "oh f*** this, oh I am NOT getting on that shit", so I start proceeding towards the subway... Last desperate (lol) glance along Main st (before turning the corner & descending down to the subway) had me darting back towards the bus stop.... This second Bronx bound Q44 wasn't as empty as the second Jamaica bound bus, but nonetheless I still got on it...

So to sum all this up, I wouldn't split the thing, nor would I really increase the reach of the route....

5 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I've been aware of it - and with there being no subway going Bronx-Queens (like the (G) goes Queens-Brooklyn), it makes sense.... I mean, if there was ever a bus route in this city that could operate as a quote-unquote super limited (or whatever you wish to dub it), it's the Q44 for that reason; regional coverage... But for that to happen, it would have to be de-coupled from the Q20 (as in, the Q20 being the local & the Q44 being the LTD [now SBS] along Main).... The MTA of course would never go for it since it'd require more resources (that & the apparent discontinued support for the LTD brand), but the notion is to run the Q20 local & LTD, with the Q44 running non-stop along Main st b/w QB & Flushing proper..... Just as there are a significant amt. of folks traveling Bronx-Jamaica, there are even more that are going Flushing-Jamaica as well (which is why the current Q44 is more attractive than the other LTD variants of the Jamaica-Flushing routes; Q17 LTD, Q25 LTD, and the Q65 LTD [which is actually faster than some people give it credit for, despite the indirect routing it has up from Jamaica to East Flushing, on over to downtown Flushing])....

In laymens, throughout most of the day, this hypothetical Q44 would only take on pax. [b/w Merrick Blvd & Briarwood (E)(F)], the 2 stops in Flushing [Kissena/Main & {38th-39th}/Main], and everything in the Bronx it currently serves...

As far as actual routing goes, the sole change would happen w/i Queens, north of downtown Flushing... It would run nonstop b/w [38th-39th/Main] & [Lafayette av] in the Bronx via the current Q50 routing.... This is going to be the unpopular opinion, but Union st & Parsons Blvd up there are overserved with overall service, but at the same time. shortchanged with the quality of Q20 service....

Sure, splitting the Q44 is the easiest solution on the surface, but the fact of the matter is that (as was stated) there's simply no real estate to end anymore bus routes on a full time basis in the heart of Flushing.... It's not so much that the Q44 route is too long, as much as it does too much along it (not necessarily the same thing)... One chink in the armor & like Lawrence st. said, buses can easily get delayed of up to 30 mins... Just last week to the day (in the afternoon), I was up in Flushing, and I had the luxury of seeing 3 Q44's back to back to back, just short of the library (NB/Bronx bound)... Standing there screwfaced, tryna cross the street; you'd have thought a new LRT service was implemented or something... Lol....

My personal favorite story/occurrence with the Q44, is the time that Jamaica buses arrived in close proximity (relatively bunched) at Flushing, as well as the Bronx bound buses - at 3:30 in the freakin morning....I was waiting for a Bronx bound bus, but first, a jampacked Q44 heading towards Jamaica arrived across the street first, then about 2 mins. later, a bus about a handful of people short of carrying air, came out of nowhere & eventually pulled right up behind the initial bus.... About 10 mins. after the Jamaica bound buses left, a crushloaded Bronx bound Q44 pulled up... Having felt like a damn good fantrip was about to be abruptly shot to shit, I said out loud, "oh f*** this, oh I am NOT getting on that shit", so I start proceeding towards the subway... Last desperate (lol) glance along Main st (before turning the corner & descending down to the subway) had me darting back towards the bus stop.... This second Bronx bound Q44 wasn't as empty as the second Jamaica bound bus, but nonetheless I still got on it...

So to sum all this up, I wouldn't split the thing, nor would I really increase the reach of the route....

I’m not sure how Queens riders of the Q44 would view a Q44 that’s serves Jamaica then runs nonstop between Briarwood station and Main Street/Kissena Blvd and then skips Union St/Parsons and goes straight to the Bronx. I think it’s a good idea especially if the focus is better serving riders between Flushing-Jamaica and The Bronx. I always wonder how the Q44 was back when it ran local between Jamaica and The Bronx Zoo before the Q20 was extended Jamaica. I can imagine that ride easily being 2+ hours. The main culprit to the delays is when the route is traveling through Flushing. However there is no NYPD surveillance of the bus lanes so people do whatever they want in the bus lane.

I really do like the idea of the Q44 skipping Union Steet and Parsons Blvd because most of the people who use the route at those stops are coming from Flushing anyway so they can use the Q20. Even now taking the Q44 and having it go through Union street feels like a lengthy detour that could be cut down by having it skip that segment. I would keep the stops in between Briarwood Station and Flushing LIRR station since that part of the route moves. However if I had to get rid of stops I would get rid of the Elder Ave stop, 63rd Ave maybe even Melbourne Ave. 

My question is how would you choose to make up for the loss of service on Union street and Parsons Blvd? The Q20 deals with the same issues the Q44 has and being less frequent so I can see there being gaps in service there unless service is added between College Point and Flushing to one of the branches. 

I used to underestimate travel between outer boroughs but the Q44 sees good usage between Bronx and Jamaica (wonder how the gentrification of Jamaica will affect that tbh). Even after riding the M60 consistently I see how buses are usually crushloaded between Queens and Manhattan. Even at 3 in the morning I sometimes see M60 buses that are crushloaded to LGA along 23rd Ave.

The problem I see with running a super limited like that is that I can't imagine that New York Presbyterian or Queens College are insignificant sources of ridership for Bronx riders.

Really, the Q44 needed to be an LRT or a subway yesterday; I doubt the Whitestone could handle a rail line, so you'd probably build such a thing under College Point Blvd and WPR to Parkchester before resuming the normal route. But that would be a century down the road if we ever saw it.

• 1 month later...
On 11/5/2018 at 1:03 AM, NewFlyer 230 said:

My question is how would you choose to make up for the loss of service on Union street and Parsons Blvd? The Q20 deals with the same issues the Q44 has and being less frequent so I can see there being gaps in service there unless service is added between College Point and Flushing to one of the branches.

A couple of ideas come to mind with adding some service along Union Street & Parsons Boulevard, if the Q44 were to be rerouted away from there...

One idea could be to possibly add some Q20A/B short turns operating between College Point & Flushing.

As for another idea, I do wonder...how much ridership would potentially be hurt if the Q34 were taken off Willets Point Boulevard & Linden Place (plus everything in-between), in exchange for putting it onto Union Street & Parsons Boulevard to operate alongside the Q20? I imagine not much, but...dunno tbh

Plus, I also wonder where would you even terminate the Q34 then if that were the case...

• 1 month later...

Archived