60 Minutes: Why has the New York City subway gone off the rails?

Around the Horn

Just now, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Of course some people won't be happy.  The big picture here overall is the plan is not working for the majority of the commuters, even those that thought that it would, and yes there is plenty of blame to go around.

And I applaud you for Organizing folks and pointing that out can't be mad at anyone for taking action. Accountability is Paramount. Anyone trying to really make anything better (MTA) would openly welcome the criticism. If not call out the BS.  Your points are well founded. 

On 10/24/2018 at 11:01 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It's not enough that they're doing stuff.  There's no point in doing a half-assed redesign that is making people's commutes longer.

Exactly. I have been asking for route redesigns for nearly 50 years. Finally when the Bus Turnaround Coalitio asks, the MTA starts to listen. But what's important is Byford's focus. Is it to improve service or cut costs? It's the latter.

1 hour ago, BrooklynBus said:

Exactly. I have been asking for route redesigns for nearly 50 years. Finally when the Bus Turnaround Coalitio asks, the MTA starts to listen. But what's important is Byford's focus. Is it to improve service or cut costs? It's the latter.

Agreed.

But FWIW, I'd like to know is cutting costs his main focus, or the one being imposed onto him....

Either way, these shouldn't be questions that end users are asking....

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Agreed.

But FWIW, I'd like to know is cutting costs his main focus, or the one being imposed onto him....

If it's being imposed on him which is very possible, it is disingenuous of him to claim the purpose is to improve service. We got into this mess of declining ridership because the MTA was never willing to make meaningful investments in increasing bus service. They have tried to make all changes, with the exception of SBS, with no increased costs and doing so have exacerbated problems. Like when the combined the B40 and the B78 ( a good idea), but to pay for the extra mileage they eliminated B40 service on St. John's Place, causing a new service gap and additional buses necessary to complete a trip. Same story with the B13 extension to Gateway and the elimination of the B18. 

To fill service gaps you need to spend the money to do it and hopefully you will get some or all of it back in new ridership. 

2 hours ago, BrooklynBus said:

We got into this mess of declining ridership because the MTA was never willing to make meaningful investments in increasing bus service.

Not saying this isn't true with regards to investment. But it's also important to note there several other major cities with declining ridership as well. May definitely be bigger factors at play important to keep tabs there as well and consider cultural trend possibilities.

16 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

Not saying this isn't true with regards to investment. But it's also important to note there several other major cities with declining ridership as well. May definitely be bigger factors at play important to keep tabs there as well and consider cultural trend possibilities.

Yes there are other factors as well as the economy, but investment is an important variable as is not including latent demand when designing service and only scheduling for existing riders. When service cuts due to budget considerations causes passengers to shift to other modes, they are considered lost and are no longer considered as part of demand and service is further reduced which cause additional passengers to leave the system, where as added service adds new passenger trips to the equation increasing ridership. 

25 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

Yes there are other factors as well as the economy, but investment is an important variable as is not including latent demand when designing service and only scheduling for existing riders. When service cuts due to budget considerations causes passengers to shift to other modes, they are considered lost and are no longer considered as part of demand and service is further reduced which cause additional passengers to leave the system, where as added service adds new passenger trips to the equation increasing ridership. 

Indeed that's a valid point.

12 minutes ago, Porter said:

$40 Billion, huh? Out of curiosity, I wonder how much time and money could be saved by importing the labor and materials from overseas.

Never gonna happen. The TWU is literally fighting over retaining elevator operators right now (a job which in 2018 makes no sense), so I doubt they would even want to bring in anything from overseas.

On 10/25/2018 at 3:35 PM, B35 via Church said:

Agreed.

From a fiscal standpoint, I think the answer is obvious. Do more with less. They’re turning over every rock and looking to get water out of it.  All I know is I’ll be damned if this agency is going to balance their budget on the backs of express bus riders.

11 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

From a fiscal standpoint, I think the answer is obvious. Do more with less. They’re turning over every rock and looking to get water out of it.  All I know is I’ll be damned if this agency is going to balance their budget on the backs of express bus riders.

Now that you mention it.... what if the big push for CBTC is to 'fast forward' to OPTO?

1 hour ago, Porter said:

This is why we can't have nice things in a timely and affordable manner.

You can't get mad at a union looking out for it's members - that's what it's there for. That's why members pay dues - job protection and wage security.

Who you should be mad at is (MTA) management for 1) not being smart enough to out-negotiate unions and 2) not being smart enough to have an alternative plan.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2018 at 11:16 PM, Porter said:

$40 Billion, huh? Out of curiosity, I wonder how much time and money could be saved by importing the labor and materials from overseas.

To he fair, accounting for inflation, 40B today across 10 years is nearly exactly what the MTA allocated in 1982 for the state of good repair program which was 14B over 10 years.

I also hope that sentence made sense. Kinda been working the last 6 days on an average of 3 hours sleep lol.

Archived