Unlimited MetroCard rules

Deucey

So I know that if I swipe into the subway and then try again in the same station within 18 minutes my card's rejected.

If I go to a different station within that 18 minutes, sometimes it works; sometimes I have to wait the 18 minutes.

But why is it that if I swipe for a quick trip on the bus - S40/44 for example - to get donuts at Richmond/Lafayette, my card's rejected for the return trip (10 minutes later)?

9 minutes ago, Deucey said:

So I know that if I swipe into the subway and then try again in the same station within 18 minutes my card's rejected.

If I go to a different station within that 18 minutes, sometimes it works; sometimes I have to wait the 18 minutes.

But why is it that if I swipe for a quick trip on the bus - S40/44 for example - to get donuts at Richmond/Lafayette, my card's rejected for the return trip (10 minutes later)?

Probably the same bus #. I always use a different route where possible.

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

10 < 18 ?

In other words, I believe that 18 min. window holds true for buses as well.....

But why have that rule for reverse trips? If someone's only riding for 5 minutes then going back the same way 5 minutes later, why should they have to pay fare when they have an unlimited card?

On 10/25/2018 at 2:36 PM, Deucey said:

I've had the same issue with the Q46. I take it one direction, make a quick stop, and get on the bus in the other direction, and the buses are correctly signed and everything. Usually it is fine but sometimes I get the "just used" error. 

Archived