Jerome Av's Jungle Jam Nightmare

Lawrence St

https://www.norwoodnews.org/id=26547&story=with-school-around-the-corner-norwood-projects-could-snarl-traffic/

Bainbridge Avenue in Norwood faces dual projects at its roads, which could spell traffic headaches for the hundreds of drivers that navigate the busy artery following the unofficial end of summer.

The problems will likely come during the morning rush, when crews for both projects each running on opposite ends of Bainbridge Avenue–will be on the road. Between parents dropping off children at the neighborhood schools beginning the first day of school on Sept. 5, employees or visitors of Montefiore Health System and North Central Bronx Hospital, and shopping activity at the Jerome Gun Hill Business Improvement District, getting around will pose some major issues for the community.

The problem has gotten so bad it's affecting a lot of commuters. The jam at Jerome Av near Woodlawn is causing 30 minute to 1 hour delays on Bee Line's 4/20/21 as well as MTA's Bx16/34 routes. At times it can take you just 45 minutes to go from Gun Hill Road to Woodlawn Subway Station. DOT's action in this is highly poor and they don't seem to care. I see 4 or 5 Bx16's back to back coming in the opposite direction while the next one I'm waiting for is 16 minutes away. The problem has also spilled over to Bee Line, affecting a large majority of their routes because their runs are more interlined, causing trips not to show. And this isn't just during the morning rush, it's everyday. Even if your not near the area, it still affects the routes that your on.

16 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

The problem has gotten so bad it's affecting a lot of commuters. The jam at Jerome Av near Woodlawn is causing 30 minute to 1 hour delays on Bee Line's 4/20/21 as well as MTA's Bx16/34 routes. At times it can take you just 45 minutes to go from Gun Hill Road to Woodlawn Subway Station. DOT's action in this is highly poor and they don't seem to care. I see 4 or 5 Bx16's back to back coming in the opposite direction while the next one I'm waiting for is 16 minutes away. The problem has also spilled over to Bee Line, affecting a large majority of their routes because their runs are more interlined, causing trips not to show. And this isn't just during the morning rush, it's everyday. Even if your not near the area, it still affects the routes that your on.

Well apparently no one is doing anything about the problem. Everyone takes it in stride or they just ditch the system.

14 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Well apparently no one is doing anything about the problem. Everyone takes it in stride or they just ditch the system.

I've complained multiple times to DOT about making the NB area at Jerome two lanes to balance it out but they are ignoring me.

16 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

That traffic is also affecting the cross Gun Hill routes to the Hospitals as well.. I know the CB's in that area are talking to the DOT. 

27 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I've complained multiple times to DOT about making the NB area at Jerome two lanes to balance it out but they are ignoring me.

When I was in Co-Op speaking with CB10&12 it came up as a big issue.. even for emergency vehicles, I don't Specialize in traffic dynamics but from what I understand some of this can be contributed to the break in the street grid and lack of crosstown Through routes. You have GunHill and E233rd around Woodlawn Cemetery and drivers wanting access to I87 and the BRP at the bottom of the hill. The added Facilities and jobs in that area could be a contributing factor as well. One idea I heard floating around was no peak parking on GunHill Road from 7-10am Westbound and 4-7pm Eastbound. The DOT has its work cut out.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Axis said:

Got word from a W20 B/O I'm friend's with that Bainbridge Avenue n/b has re-opened.

FINALLY! The nightmare is over! REJOICE!

Yes! I was expecting to get to work 40 minutes late, I picked my head up and we were already in Getty Square! HORRAH!!!

Archived